Addon support

conanl

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
No and never will be, thank you for time it took to post this.

*sarcasm*

i just love how you can make a definitive statement like this and have no proof to back it up.

*end sarcasm*

the only people that can say whether or not the users can make addons are not going to be in game is not the players but the development staff. there has only been 2 games that the developers did not release an API for the users to make addons with and that was EverCrack with ShowEQ, and Asheron's Call with Decal.

*sarcasm*

i just love how you can make a definitive statement like this and have no proof to back it up.

*end sarcasm*

the only people that can say whether or not the users can make addons are not going to be in game is not the players but the development staff. there has only been 2 games that the developers did not release an API for the users to make addons with and that was EverCrack with ShowEQ, and Asheron's Call with Decal.

Actually, I believe they stated at the guild summit that there were no plans to support add-ons.

Actually, I believe they stated at the guild summit that there were no plans to support add-ons.

they stated that at launch there will be no addon support not that there wont be any at all.

Quote from TOR Wars

With that in mind, it’s not too surprising that BioWare has no plans for addons at the release of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Here are Georg Zoeller’s words on the subject:

“What we’ve said is, regarding the question ‘Will there be addons at launch’ is “no, not at launch”.

This statement indicates nothing more than that there will not be addons at launch. Nothing more, nothing less.”

Edited by krisagi

they stated that at launch there will be no addon support not that there wont be any at all.

Quote from TOR Wars

I doubt they are going to give the players the ability to create in-game add-ons after launch, either. The devs have access to the actual game code which means they can create better integrated tools than the players ever could without the players having to constantly ensure all of the add-ons are compatible with the most recent client version. That's one thing from playing WoW I don't miss: having to ensure all of my add-ons were updated after the patch which sometimes was a couple days or so depending on how fast the add-on author was about updating their add-on (some were faster than others).

oh gods no, no addons or even macros ... total game killers, in my opinion.

im still on the edge about key bindings.

why people cant play a game based on the original design, i'll never understand

/agree

I can play just fine and have fun without these mods and macros and i'd rather that they never got included.

/agree

I can play just fine and have fun without these mods and macros and i'd rather that they never got included.

i agree.. i used the macros for swg that everyone says we need here in this game..they were good for crafting..and that was about it. since crafting here is done completely different we do not need them here at all.

i agree.. i used the macros for swg that everyone says we need here in this game..they were good for crafting..and that was about it. since crafting here is done completely different we do not need them here at all.

I miss you SWG. No need for AFK crafting macros in this game ;)

Agree with earlier posters. As long as important functionalities are eventually added, I would prefer for them to be developed by the ingame Dev team, then to be created by addons.

I despise having to update all my addons every other patch and how one's success depended more on the addon you use and the macros you programmed than your actual play skill.

Agree with earlier posters. As long as important functionalities are eventually added, I would prefer for them to be developed by the ingame Dev team, then to be created by addons.

I despise having to update all my addons every other patch and how one's success depended more on the addon you use and the macros you programmed than your actual play skill.

addons make me feel like i am no longer playing the game..but running a sophisticated grouping of programs to run the game for me.. Sure it may be more efficent in the long run.. but i play the game for fun, not efficency.

addons make me feel like i am no longer playing the game..but running a sophisticated grouping of programs to run the game for me.. Sure it may be more efficent in the long run.. but i play the game for fun, not efficency.

Exactly this, games are designed for fun. Plus if i tried having these fancy programs running while playing it would lower my FPS to unacceptable levels.

While im not a fan of addons and its not essential for gameplay and i can play it just fine, i'm not gonna be like the others saying "I don't use them so i don't wont them added" If people want to use them they should, if they change there mind and add the ability to use them, i will not use them but everybody plays the game differently so why punish people that want it because people dont want to ignore and not use it.

*sarcasm*

*end sarcasm*

The Devs have already stated that they WONT be available as it takes the focus away from the game in regards to people actually having to PLAY THE GAME to win other than relying on third party mods to give them the edge (paraphrasing but thats the gist of it).

Edited by Redat

Why do we need addons? Unlike Blizzard, Bioware is doing the work themselves as they have to. Blizzard chose the more lazy design of "put it out bare bones and let someone else do the work". This has lead to hacks on peoples computer, addons making the game crash, unfair advantages for the people that used them over the people that didn't (forcing everyone to download third party software) etc.

I'd much rather Bioware keep doing what they're doing. We wanted a a better cool down system, UI customization tool, GTN options, and combat logs.... well, we got them. And we didn't have to worry about our accounts being hacked by 3rd party software at all.

Edited by Galbatorrix

• 2 weeks later...

i honestly believe that the depth and availability of Addons in WoW has contributed to it's success.

They allow people to play how they want to without giving themselves an unfair advantage and even give older players something fresh when they start to get bored.

I'm in full support of Addons.

i honestly believe that the depth and availability of Addons in WoW has contributed to it's success.

They allow people to play how they want to without giving themselves an unfair advantage and even give older players something fresh when they start to get bored.

I'm in full support of Addons.

Exactly! WoW never requires any add-on since it workds well as shipped. However, I play with at least 9 add-ons at all times. I like them because they make my experience changeable as I wish. Add-ons will not break a game, only make it more versatile.