Would you have loved SWTOR if it wasn't an MMO?

SoulstitchMMO

If this was an MMO--Balmorra would be the same zone for both Republic and Empire.

And to answer the question--had TOR been an MMO, yeah, I might have loved it.

TOR is only an MMO because EA decided to market it as such. Unfortunately, TOR is missing the Massive part.

I would love to be more engaged with other players while playing TOR, but BW has made it extremely difficult for that to happen.

Edited by Zhit

Balmorra (and Taris) are the way they are for narrative reasons- your Imperial character devastates Balmorra and crushes the resistance, leaving them bitter about the Republic and struggling, looking for some way to fight back... and then your level 30-something Republic character turns up and heroically fights back. Meanwhile, as a low level Republic character, you advance the cause of the reclamation of Taris... but after you've gone the Empire takes offence, and sends in your later level 30-something Imperial to firmly stamp on this Republic initiative and crush Taris underfoot permanently.

It's a nice piece of duality, I think, and certainly an interesting piece of storytelling.

Speaking as a Balmorran gunslinger who locked and loaded with righteous rage when she saw what had been done by the Sith invaders to her former homeworld... the fact that, a few levels ago, the vanguard of said Sith invaders happened to have been her own long-lost sister was a lovely poignant moment of character development... and the opportunity's there for any other player to use the story set-up here- in whatever way they like, similar, different, etc etc... the point is, it's something *different*, and fuel for characterisation and storyline, however that fuel is used.

That's vastly more important than *every* planet being available for PVPers to pull each other's hair. You can go and do that on Tatooine, or Alderaan, or Nar Shaddaa, or Quesh, or... basically, everywhere else.

As for 'would I have loved it if it weren't an MMO'... I probably wouldn't have *heard* about it if it weren't an MMO'... but from my perspective... yes, I would probably have played, and also enjoyed, the game, if it hadn't been multiplayer. However, I like the *option*- I like the idea that, if I mention the game to a friend and we both turn out to play, we could meet up in a cantina for a virtual drink and share in-world stories/RP.

That's the multi-player aspect for me. I freely admit, I'm unsociable. I'm pathologically shy, avoidant, and distinctly bipolar, so I avoid group questing overmuch simply because... I don't know when I'm suddenly going to need *out*, away from the suffocation of human contact, and I don't see why, in a *game*, I should inflict the 'let other people down and escape, or trudge through feeling like I'm being battered about the head with people until I can get away at the end' dichotomy on myself.

That's me. I do, however, pay my subscription, and I'm happy to do so, for the 'carrying on a silly conversation in general or other chat, random bits of RP and/or comedy, and disassociated "people watching" aspects of it all. It amuses me to see other characters on their quests, to speculate about what they're doing, etc etc... doesn't mean I want to have a personal connection with them.

Edited by RowanThursday

I think one of the other major reasons people are raging (btw they rage at other games too, take a look at their forums) in general at MMOs right now is that they aren't playing to have fun anymore... People seem to think of MMOs as a job or occupation and take them so seriously when, really, it is just a game. In general chat on my server just today there was a big argument because someone started making fun of a guy named "Juggernaut." Some of us tried to say, "Just leave him alone" but the guy would not... because he takes the game too seriously and can't just live, let live, and have fun. Too many people are just not happy logging in and having a good time anymore. They have other reasons or purposes, often involving ruining the day of other players. But even then they are not really having FUN... fun seems to have been forgotten.

I like TOR and would play it as a single, co-op, or MMO game, because it is fun, and I'm having fun playing it. I'm not trying to accomplish some important goal or impose my will or something on other people. I am just there to have fun, and it is fun.

This just hit the nail on the head. Exactly

This just hit the nail on the head. Exactly

And some people aren't having fun, or aren't having as much fun as they could, and feel the need to complain in an effort to make the game more fun. And sometimes your fun impairs my fun, and that's bad.

If you're on an RP server a character named "Sinestra" or a character named "Juggernaught" or "IhateRomney" all break your immersion, which is part of the 'fun' of living in a virtual world, and the expectation that you won't be taken out of that immersion by such names. On a regular server you accept that there will be people named things like Salty Ballz, Luuke Skiewaalker. On a PVP server you can kill them because their name offends you.

A lot of people right now aren't having fun because they don't have a lot to do. There are a plethora of reasons for that, and yes, one option is to go play something else that's more fun. But people complaining believe that they could have the most fun if SWTOR just fixed whatever particular issues they have. I would, for example, have more fun if "Defend the Shipment" wasn't bugged, so I'd like them to fix it. It's not the end of the world, and honestly I don't care that much, the marginal increase in fun from that quest is relatively minor. But if fun for you is big open world PVP (like ilum) you're going to be justifiably miserable because the only choice you have is Ilum, and Ilum is completely broken, and despite the design is in no way actual PVP (at least on my server).

As to the general OP though. No, SWTOR is a poor single player game, because in introduces long term complex mechanics that are necessarily MMO type things. You don't need radically different specs in a single player game for example, and you can use a much better graphics engine because you have a much different audience and much more control over what will ever be on their screen (see lycium engine as per DA2 vs hero engine as per SWTOR).

I still think the Mass Effect universe would have made for a better MMO.

As for ToR? I enjoy it for what it is, but i still think it would have made a better single player game. That way they could have fleshed out the plot a little more, instead of degrading it into a predictable PoS because of the MMO formula and target audience.

Had this game been under the same mechanics as KOTOR and not the wow clone generic mmo set up i would have definitely enjoyed it better. I LOVED being able to pick powers and spec my character to suit. This game they might as well just hand you a character as they don't really give you any choices and the few they give you don't make any difference.

• 2 months later...