Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The game is on sale!

jimmyquinella

I had a reward certificate to use when I bought the game. End result was paying between $20 and $30 at launch. Sales are a good thing and are to be expected. Not sure if it is still true but back when I was selling games the majority of the money that a game made in its lifetime was usually hit around the second or third week. Sale at the 60 day mark make good business sense especially for one that has an ongoing subscription.

~FV~

:sy_republic:

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a game that's "failing," I'm having a heck of a time catching a copy of it in stock at my local Walmart or gamestop.

I've been trying for two weeks to get a physical copy for my brother for his birthday and was told by both places that if I wanted to be sure to get a copy I should be there on the day the truck arrives because they are still limiting copies to retailers in some regions and the few copies they get, sell within a couple days.

I don't know a lot about retail sales but it seems to me if they were having trouble moving units, they wouldn't be limiting stock to certain areas.

Also, I'm pretty sure a 10 dollar drop in price 90 days out from release is the norm and indicates nothing more than crafty marketing.

That is actually due to a decision EA made I don't know sometime during beta and announced that they would taper sales for the sake of the server load and the experience of those already subbed. That's as sure as I am about the specifics of it.

Perception can have a big impact, so the question is..

Sale prices within 60 days of launch send good or bad message?

Don't know about what message it sends, but it seems to be a good business decision. February is one of the slowest months for retail (unless you're in the flower/chocolate/lingerie business). A sale is a good way to entice Bioware fans who've been holding off because they prefer single player games. Also, you want to get as many sales a possible before ME 3 becomes the new Bioware hotness.

For a game that's "failing," I'm having a heck of a time catching a copy of it in stock at my local Walmart or gamestop.

I've been trying for two weeks to get a physical copy for my brother for his birthday and was told by both places that if I wanted to be sure to get a copy I should be there on the day the truck arrives because they are still limiting copies to retailers in some regions and the few copies they get, sell within a couple days.

I don't know a lot about retail sales but it seems to me if they were having trouble moving units, they wouldn't be limiting stock to certain areas.

Also, I'm pretty sure a 10 dollar drop in price 90 days out from release is the norm and indicates nothing more than crafty marketing.

They only sold 9k units last month according to vgchartz so you should be having hard time getting ur hands on a copy

its logical the game is on sale.. the majority of peopel who want the game already have bought it.. lowering the price will get those who are on the fence about the 60 dollar cost to give it a try..every game company does it...

lol no they don't. Try researching how this stuff works. Companies who are selling well DO NOT lower the price this quickly. MW2 was 60 dollars for like, EVER. All going on sale this soon means is sales are underwhelming and they need to...sell more copies. It's actually a very good indication that things are not going well. It's simple marketing and sales logic, if sales are lower than they want, they lower the price of the product. It's not rocket science, I promise :D

Every store I go to, The Old Republic is sold out, and all the game cards are gone, it took me a week to find one, and I was lucky, as game stop had just gotten a new shipment in.

While the game has its flaws, its the only other MMO besides lotro, to keep my playing for longer then a month.

$48.51 on Amazon.

I would actually be surprised if this lower price is true (49.99). I would not think an MMO would lower it's price THAT quickly but then again I don't know the numbers or exactly what is going on so maybe it's not such a strange idea.

Edited by Aisar

It should for as old as it is.

Now that is a move I can understand with WoW being like 7-8 years old now. They need to bring in as many subs as possible right now, let em take all the 14.99s they can but I think lowering the price of the right to play significantly is a brilliant move for Blizzard.

3 months after release, no. I can't see the logic with that unless they are not selling and -must- do something to entice buyers. As in, a lower retail price.

Now that is a move I can understand with WoW being like 7-8 years old now. They need to bring in as many subs as possible right now, let em take all the 14.99s they can but I think lowering the price of the right to play significantly is a brilliant move for Blizzard.

3 months after release, no. I can't see the logic with that unless they are not selling and -must- do something to entice buyers. As in, a lower retail price.

Aye, well said.

I remember 3 months out with WoW, I was still trying to buy copies of the game. There wasn't enough copies for the huge demand for the game.

Edited by Tiam

While I am glad you enjoy it, it is a failed launch. A few of us will play, but alas, the game will be F2P soon.

Following F2P will also follow open-source, meaning private servers that work better than the actual game will follow suit. How fun.

LOL.

It'll be f2p in a month.

It'll be f2p in 6 months.

fail assumptions are fail

F2P soon!

Game is dying!

Doooooooom!

Bargain bin MMO!

Server merge!

I have heard the same things for the last 3 MMOs I've played for more than a year. Same ol' s***, different game. Thank goodness that through it all, I have acquired a certain level of immunity towards such inane, repetitive and trifling drivel. *Snore*

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.