So, companion role kits

gibmachine

I assume most of the readers know what I'm talking about. Sort of like current appearance customization kits, role kits actually allow to switch certain roles between characters, or in this case companions.

Let's look at it from SWTOR player's perspective. Myself, I play a marauder. I'm not much into RP but I like to immerse myself in any game I play, especially given the fact that I like SW universe and that this is a story based game after all. To reference this, there is a certain companion named Malavai Quinn. Many players undoubtedly know the current "issue" with him and those that don't, I encourage to read the spoiler (unless of course you don't want to spoil yourself big element of the story).

We meet him as a military servant of Darth Baras (player's master) and he is placed under our command shortly after. Right before Corellia however, he betrays the player to Baras and stages an assassination attempt by the order of Baras himself. After winning the fight we are given 3 options and even though DS one offers some choking, ultimately player has no choice to kill or replace Quinn, even though we killed plenty of other people for way lesser reasons than betrayal, and the matter is never mentioned again as if nothing happened

Now, from story-centered player's perspective this presents pretty significant problem. Quinn being only healer companion available to warrior class, is very useful and even though it's perfectly doable to leave him on the ship and making do with dps companion, him being a healer is impossible to simply omit. On the other hand we have a thing I described in the spoiler which is somewhat of a conflict.

With the introduction of companion role kits, such thing could be negated in a way, because the most useful role could be transferred to a companion we actually don't mind going along with. Not to mention, it would be way easier and less time-consuming thing to do instead of rewriting story or adding some elements to it (which is what many SW players would like to see judging from various threads). This way, I actually could leave him on the ship and forget that he even exists whike equipping more likeable companion with healer role kit and not look back.

So, what do you think about the idea? Do you reckon role kits will make their way into SWTOR?

Edited by gibmachine

arg....really wish you would've left out the Quinn spoiler. I'm not blaming you...but this thread could have been made without including that info. Yeah I know what the spoiler tag is there for and you used it properly....but it's just soo tempting....damnit.

Companion kits would be nice...though I doubt we'll see them.

It would mean they would have to do a significant amount of work adding animations and stuff for the additional kits that could be applied to each companion. Even if we don't count the Droid as one you could swap out the kit on you're talking about this:

5 companions per character

5 companion roles (Ranged DPS, Ranged Healer, Ranged Tank, Melee DPS, Melee Tank)

20 additional animation sets per class (4 additional roles per companion x 5 companions)

160 animation sets for all classes (20 additional animations x 8 classes)

And of course animation sets are made up of a bunch of animations.

Sure some animations are pretty simple...like Mako getting out her little healer device...but others are much more complex, like Blizz getting out his rocket launcher.

Edited by Thunder-God

Those are good points with animation but I reckon most of the animation are there already and only those companions with "non-standard" (like Blizz or Trooper's droid for example) models would need some work done. Those models that are built on default human skeleton already have all the animations done.

PS. Sorry for that spoiler ;p

Edited by gibmachine

To be honest most of the animations are there if they just based the role change on the companion's base class as most come obviously from a specific base class while others are unique. Just looking at the smuggler's companions (my main class) there is no reason why Corso Riggs can't act as either a healer, tank or dps trooper, Akaavi Spar a tank, DPS or healer BH, or Guss as either healer or DPS.

The only change that I can see is a class weapon into and offhand weapon.

I would LOVE that. As much as I enjoy Guss being all....Guss, it would be cool if I could continue questing with Risha as I'm really close to um, making whoopy with her.

Having a healer in the 45-50 questing areas is pretty much a must for a smuggler too so right now I don't see that I have a choice of companions. Everyone but Guss is sitting on my ship making stims and implants.

Having a healer in the 45-50 questing areas is pretty much a must for a smuggler too so right now I don't see that I have a choice of companions. Everyone but Guss is sitting on my ship making stims and implants.

That's the thing exactly. Myself, I'm doing quests with Jaesa and everything goes down smoothly, I tried doing my daily routine on Ilum and Belsavis with Quinn and I was shocked how much easier it is. Even though I have less downtime if I go 2x dps and channel heal a bit after few pulls, it's still incredible that with healer I could do chain pulls without even stopping (again, even though it took more time in the end due to me killing things alone).

Not to mention role kits would privde incredible level of customization abnd I guess that's very desired thing for a mmo game.

Will definately try asking that in Q&A series. If you don't have any question you'd like to ask yourself, I encourage to do the same.

Edited by gibmachine

The companion kits were meant as a toggle between each companion's 2 roles, not the ability to assign a role to an arbitrary companion.

As to your Quinn problem, gear up the ship droid. His constant annoyance should provide you with endless RP fun of telling him to shut up.

The companion kits were meant as a toggle between each companion's 2 roles, not the ability to assign a role to an arbitrary companion.

Even so, with each companion having 2 roles, the diversity provided would provide very satisfying results in case the companion that's most useful, is at the same time most hated. And at very good effort : result ratio as well.