Electronic Gaming Monthly gives SWTOR 9/10

Jett-Rinn

I'm well familiar with the DA2 metacritic debacle. There were just as many raging fanboys stuffing the site with 10s as there were raging haters stuffing it with 0s.

so if as many "fanboys" rated the game a perfect 10 as haters rated it a 0 what would be the average? you do the math. if you still dont see how the outcome is gonna be flawed then you are beyond redemption;)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_revenge_of_the_fallen/

So, what you said means one of two things:

a) Paramount and Dreamworks paid critics to hate their film, leading to RT score of 20%, one of the worst scores in recent years.

b) They paid audiences to give good reviews. This means that by association the user reviews for SWTOR are equally wrong because Blizzard could have paid for bad reviews there.

Since option A is completely idiotic, you have no choice but to take option B. Option B invalidates SWTOR's bad user review.

Nice try, but you still lose.

I was being sarcastic and misread your post. I thought you were saying the critic reviews were good for Revenge of the Fallen. I never went to rotten tomatoes and looked.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_revenge_of_the_fallen/

So, what you said means one of two things:

a) Paramount and Dreamworks paid critics to hate their film, leading to RT score of 20%, one of the worst scores in recent years.

b) They paid audiences to give good reviews. This means that by association the user reviews for SWTOR are equally wrong because Blizzard could have paid for bad reviews there.

Since option A is completely idiotic, you have no choice but to take option B. Option B invalidates SWTOR's bad user review.

Nice try, but you still lose.

The magazine industry is pretty dubious at the moment.

A lot of advertising money (which is what keeps them afloat, not sales these days) can ride on the "understanding" that things will be looked on favourably.

This isn't about SWTOR in this context, it's the whole rotten industry at the present time. :(

A million a+ reviews won't change the simple this game sucks to any real mmo're that still playing. This game is MMO lite. You get this for your kids and have something to do with the family. SWTOR should of been released for the nintendo WII.

So what constitutes a 'real' mmo'er? lol. How about someone whose played MMOs for nearly 12 years? Someone who's played over 20 titles? Someone who at one time had 5 simultaneous subscriptions going for 5 different games? Someone who's been in four betas and one alpha? Is that a 'real' mmo'er? Eh? Guess what, that person is me, and yes I AM enjoying this game.

Does that make you mad, bro?

Well as basically a review of PVE 1-50.

"I tried each of the different Warzone modes and briefly visited Ilum; though, since I’m not really a PvP fan, I didn’t concentrate on this aspect"

Would be interesting to have them reveiw it by someone who is a fan of PvP.

Or by someone who's been 50 more than a day or so. Sure 1 - 50 the game is solid and deserves good reviews. End game is where it plummets.

Reviews dont mean anything when it comes to mmos, far worse mmos have attained higher scores.

The test of an mmos mettle is whether or not the parent company listens to customer concerns, has a respectable IP/lore and provides a steady stream of content.

MMOs change on a daily basis yet a review is only made at the time the person played it. You'd have to be pretty idiotic to take any review as fact anyway.

User scores are stuffed with zero's - bad metric.

Wait its invalid because it was stuffed with zero's? Did you even look at all the votes. There are 24 tens on the first page and 19 zeros. Whos doing the stuffing.

Did you read the comments on the nines and tens? Thats just saying that they are not giving it a true review just like the zeros and ones.

Dont just call it invalid or meaningless because haters gate it a zero, because the fanboiz gave it a 10 for the exact same reason the haters gave it a zero.

These magazines depend on SOE for a significant amount of advertising revenue. It's not surprising that most of them are writing "glowing" reviews of SWTOR.

The only articles you see that are honestly critical of the game are those in indie mags.

Wait its invalid because it was stuffed with zero's? Did you even look at all the votes. There are 24 tens on the first page and 19 zeros. Whos doing the stuffing.

Did you read the comments on the nines and tens? Thats just saying that they are not giving it a true review just like the zeros and ones.

Dont just call it invalid or meaningless because haters gate it a zero, because the fanboiz gave it a 10 for the exact same reason the haters gave it a zero.

It's bad, there's no quality control, no sense or anything in user reviews, just bias gone crazy from both ends of the spectrum. Which ever side hates/likes it the most and has the most time wins basically. If you take user reviews seriously then you're beyond hope.

These magazines depend on SOE for a significant amount of advertising revenue. It's not surprising that most of them are writing "glowing" reviews of SWTOR.

The only articles you see that are honestly critical of the game are those in indie mags.

Disregarding your tinfoil hat, what does SOE have to do with SWTOR?

I agree that it's a fair score and I personally am in love with this game, but the fact of the matter is many of those reviews are paid for by the company in charge of the game being reviewed, or it's publisher. It's pretty simple business and it's done by many, many game publishers.

That being said, I don't think most people decide whether or not to purchase the game on the reviews alone, but seeing positive things always warms my heart.

Edited by TheLonelyTusken

Been over why stuffing zero's screws the average more than 10s.

It is meaningless much like the hater posts that appear here.

The fact alone that either side can "stuff the ballot box" makes the site useless.

Edited by Drewser

Sounds like someone paid for some good publicity...

Puh-leeze. That'd be an idiotic risk to take, paying off people for reviews when in all reality, reviews have a low impact on a game's success.

That, and very many highly respected (including Time if I am not mistaken) reviewers and magazines gave SWTOR similar scores, you really think that any company would be dumb enough to spend that much money only to be probably, in the end, sued for even more than the subs it resulted in would pay for?

Then again, QQers are not known for their logic so...

Amazing that there are people so insecure they feel the need to come on these boards for the sole reason of bashing the game.

If you do not like the game, leave. Simple. but you guys are such depraved individuals probably lacking in any type of social contact in real life you feel the need, desire to get attention online.

There is therapy for this, I suggest you quit this game and use your 14.99 to try and get some cracker jack help from some street side therapy vendor.

I'm not going to argue about paid reviews but...

The irony of this is that no one reads EGM because it's a horrible magazine.

I find it funny that OP picked one up when they basically said "This game is perfect!"

Also, seems people think others saying it's a "paid" review are refering to "bribes".

If EGM has EA ads in their magazine, EA is paying them.

If EGM gives SWTOR a bad review, EA could easily pull their support.

Edited by Tiaa

Poasting in hilarious thread.

Haterz are so cute.

Well at least we now know where the 200m went - clearly, it's gone to paying off every single reviewer who's given the game a thumbs up.

/sarcasm

Lies! We already know how it was spent.

The bribes are new money, probably filed under advertising costs.

The tin foil hats in here are HILARIOUS. Reviews are bought and paid for... it's a wonder any game gets a **** review then. Let's take the average meta critic review for da2. Same company and publisher. SURELY IT MUST HAVE RECEIVED a 90+ Average score is 79.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dragon-age-ii

Same developer. Same publisher. Same money. **** review. So much for that conspiracy. Tell me who shot jfk?