Exploits/Hacks, and punishment.

Thundartwothree

With the upcomming rated and ranked Warzones, how is or does Bioware plan to address the current rampant amount of Hackers/Bots/Exploiters? And plan to make a legitimate ranking system where it would be so far askew due to these factors.

While on the subject, what if any punishment is done to offenders of said behaviour?

Its become so prolific on a number of servers including my own, I constantly see several people I have myself reported, blatantly hacking/exploiting, that I have begun to wonder if infact there is any punishment or even a way to prove on Biowares end in a technical manner if these offences have even taken place?

I would suggest that people abusing these eploits/hacks ect ect have all valor reset and all gear gained in the act of using said hacks be removed on the first offence and an out right lifetime ban on any future offences.

In the end Bioware may lose a number of accounts and profit banning these players, but that cannot outwiegh the number of players who play legitimatly leaving due to the inability to enjoy themselves.

With the upcomming rated and ranked Warzones, how is or does Bioware plan to address the current rampant amount of Hackers/Bots/Exploiters? And plan to make a legitimate ranking system where it would be so far askew due to these factors.

While on the subject, what if any punishment is done to offenders of said behaviour?

Its become so prolific on a number of servers including my own, I constantly see several people I have myself reported, blatantly hacking/exploiting, that I have begun to wonder if infact there is any punishment or even a way to prove on Biowares end in a technical manner if these offences have even taken place?

I would suggest that people abusing these eploits/hacks ect ect have all valor reset and all gear gained in the act of using said hacks be removed on the first offence and an out right lifetime ban on any future offences.

In the end Bioware may lose a number of accounts and profit banning these players, but that cannot outwiegh the number of players who play legitimatly leaving due to the inability to enjoy themselves.

They seem too afraid to lose any subscriptions from actually banning people. There have been exploits and hacks going on since launch and people have been getting off with just a few day suspensions.

If i recall, a guy saying something along the lines of "anyone want to exhange WoW gold for ToR credits" in guildchat (!) got permabanned from ToR.

If there is truth to that story, they are certainly not afraid to deal out punishment.

As for hacks/exploits, i couldnt say, i havent seen any. Permaban the lot of them is my stance, but i somehow doubt that Bioware would do just that :)

Edited by PlacidDragon

Rampant: Flourishing or spreading unchecked: "rampant inflation".

For something being described as 'rampant,' I sure haven't seen any of it. Oh, and before you do the cute "Google it or search on Youtube" it's the same 'proof' that's been up there for over a month with no new videos.

Grab fraps, make a video of this rampant cheating (Shouldn't be hard since it's so crazy, right?), then come back.

These threads are so tragic. I come in hoping to see some actual evidence of this cheating epidemic that everyone is talking about and instead I leave disappointed.

Edited by Yuuj

Can you name some of the things that are happening..? I pvp a lot now, and I'm not really seeing anything along the lines of massive exploits and hacks.

If i recall, a guy saying something along the lines of "anyone want to exhange WoW gold for ToR credits" in guildchat (!) got permabanned from ToR.

If there is truth to that story, they are certainly not afraid to deal out punishment.

As for hacks/exploits, i couldnt say. Permaban the lot of them is my stance, but i somehow doubt that Bioware would do just that :)

nah they dont ban, people have been testing it for several days now in general chat through bad behaivor...and insulting ...heavy trolling basicly and then others cry that they reported and no ban or suspension.....

Mods do nothing even though they say they will

Can you name some of the things that are happening..? I pvp a lot now, and I'm not really seeing anything along the lines of massive exploits and hacks.

It reminds me of my days on Halo 3/Reach/COD when people would accuse other people of cheating over XBox Live because they kept getting their asses kicked over and over again. Highest compliment I've ever been paid was being accused of being a cheater.

Course, the person doing the accusing was just crying wolf like I imagine the OP is. There is a reason why you and I aren't seeing these RAMPANT HACKS AND EXPLOITS, because if they do exist (And I imagine there are a few people doing it) they are either being addressed quickly, or happening on such a small scale that it is like they don't exist.

The very very few times i have seen any hacking or botting it seems to have been taken care of. The just closed an exploit in void star and I am sure most of us remember the QQing when they were banning people after giving them a warning concering apparent gold farmers and bots in illum. They really do seem to crack down hard on these things

The only things i've seen is generally 2 things.

1. One team has 12 players instead of 8. Apparently this is "very easy to do" according to many. No clue how its done, but it must be some fault with Bioware's grouping system i guess. Hopefully a fix for that is incoming, as its rather unbalancing.

2. Teammates taking the ball (in Huttball) and running to your goal and then standing there to get slaughtered. Seen this happen quite a few times, but i cant say if its done to benefit the other team as much as just being an #"¤%"#%¤.

Dont think i've ever seen anything that couldnt be attributed to lag.

They need to crack down... Just head to Corellia any time of the day. Early morning, evening, 24 hours. There you'll find several level 11-12's going 500 mph on foot looting chests. You really only see them when they have to stop and loot.

SWTOR is pretty hacked to pieces at this point... I can't go into details but it doesn't take much Google fu to see it's true.

Not seen anyone hacking in Warzones I have been in since launch... granted I am not really a big PVP'er but yeah I've seen the vids up on the interweeeb so it does happen/can happen.. should'nt happen.. should be perma banned.

But hey if it troubles you sooo much.. just report it and leave the Warzone. If you feel nothing is being done and your still not happy... well there you come to a crossroads I guess... go left and go do some PvE, go right and re-que (hoping same cheaters have left), head over, ignore it... or just turn back , log off, cancel sub and go find another past time.

Personallywith the changes / developments being planned with PVP I would be more concerned with the faction imbalance within Warzones and in general. To date I dont think I been in a Warzone that hasn't been totally dominated by Sith ... kinda feels a bit one sided.. but maybe that's just me being totally awfulsauce in PVP :eek:

You can indeed attack the language I used to describe the problem, if it is indeed not "rampant" on your server, Im glad for you. But on several servers it is very much a problem. The post was in no way intended to serve as a "Sky is falling" post either, this all in all is my one major gripe with PvP as it stands, and as such it does affect my gameplay and I'm sure that of many others. If it doesnt affect you, thats great, I'm honestly glad it doesnt.

My main personal concern as a person who very much likes most if not all aspects of this game and will surely take part in a rated system is, are these issues being looked at? are punishments being handed out so as to not disrupt rated and ranked play when it starts? When iit comes to PvP I'm pretty laid back if I lose, it really doesnt upset me to be outplayed. But I very much enjoy a stand up fight, where even if I'm outplayed and lose, I lose in a legitimate way. And win in a legitimate way.

If you took the post as a "Sky is falling" or "QQ" post, its intent was not so.

You can indeed attack the language I used to describe the problem, if it is indeed not "rampant" on your server, Im glad for you. But on several servers it is very much a problem. The post was in no way intended to serve as a "Sky is falling" post either, this all in all is my one major gripe with PvP as it stands, and as such it does affect my gameplay and I'm sure that of many others. If it doesnt affect you, thats great, I'm honestly glad it doesnt.

My main personal concern as a person who very much likes most if not all aspects of this game and will surely take part in a rated system is, are these issues being looked at? are punishments being handed out so as to not disrupt rated and ranked play when it starts? When iit comes to PvP I'm pretty laid back if I lose, it really doesnt upset me to be outplayed. But I very much enjoy a stand up fight, where even if I'm outplayed and lose, I lose in a legitimate way. And win in a legitimate way.

If you took the post as a "Sky is falling" or "QQ" post, its intent was not so.

Thank you for clarification. I consider my server one of the better ones then since I read this post.

It reminds me of my days on Halo 3/Reach/COD when people would accuse other people of cheating over XBox Live because they kept getting their asses kicked over and over again. Highest compliment I've ever been paid was being accused of being a cheater.

Course, the person doing the accusing was just crying wolf like I imagine the OP is. There is a reason why you and I aren't seeing these RAMPANT HACKS AND EXPLOITS, because if they do exist (And I imagine there are a few people doing it) they are either being addressed quickly, or happening on such a small scale that it is like they don't exist.

There is always a segment of the population stating that cheating is rampant, on the other hand there are people like you who claim there is no cheating going on at all.

Congrats on not being the guy over stating the problem.

Shame on you for being the guy who pretends nothing is wrong.

The sad fact of our current situation is that BW has absolutely nothing in place to catch people cheating.

The sad fact of our current situation is that BW has absolutely nothing in place to catch people cheating.

Not so sure that's true. They licensed a pretty srs bsnss event auditing backend for this game that lets them sift through incredible amounts of gameplay data. There was a really interesting article on the net about it a while back, but I have of course forgotten the specific details, which makes me useless.

I rather wonder if they have the manpower to track down botters and speed hackers and whatnot, in addition to all the more mundane service-related tasks.

Edited by marshalleck

I rather wonder if they have the manpower to track down botters and speed hackers and whatnot, in addition to all the more mundane service-related tasks.

My money is on this. The sheer discrepancy in support quality from employee to employee indicates that they have a serious issue with supervising and schooling their people.

Speaking of bots... I know those get banned in large waves but it's still disheartening to see them standing around Ilum or Corellia all night. In a certain other MMO I could message a GM about them and he'd take a look in-game and handle the situation. Here I doubt they even have tools to work inside the game directly.

Hello everyone,

We've closed this thread because we do not allow for discussions of exploits on the forums. If you believe someone to be abusing game mechanics or bugs, please use the In-Game Customer Service Portal to report the player and the issue. To begin, press the ? in the top middle navigation bar.

For anyone interested in BioWare's stance on exploits, please be sure to read this blog by Rich Vogel: http://www.swtor.com/blog/developer-blog-busting-bugs-and-fixing-exploits

Thanks for understanding!