Daniel Erickson Statement: 11/2/2012

-Makaz-

Hi,

I wonder if other people were as surprise as me to read this from Daniel Erickson in the latest QA:

Daniel Erickson: We’ve been pleasantly surprised at how popular PvP is in The Old Republic

From what I can see on the #1 PVP server of my country:

+ all the big pvp guilds have lost 2/3 of their active members

+ the largest republic guild has moved on to another MMO

+ queue times for warzone increases

+ people limit their ilum time to rank farming with buff macro or daily quests

So I will have to admit that the 3 warzone are quite cool but the reward system and the open pvp are widely criticised and a disaster (not mentionning the lack of testing).

So I would like to know, what Bioware expectation initially was; if they can be pleasantly surprise at such criticism towards PVP in SWTOR

Hi,

I wonder if other people were as surprise as me to read this from Daniel Erickson in the latest QA:

So I will have to admit that the 3 warzone are quite cool but the reward system and the open pvp are widely criticised and a disaster (not mentionning the lack of testing).

So I would like to know, what Bioware expectation initially was; if they can be pleasantly surprise at such criticism towards PVP in SWTOR

meanwhile on my server our guild keeps on growing with more and more new players. and the republic side keeps getting stronger and stronger..

I was surprised, but not for the same reasons you were....

I don't see how they didn't expect people to want to beat the hell out of each other in this game. I think most people playing this have had some level of wanting to own a Lightsaber, and now we kind-of-sorta-in-a-round-about-way have one. What is the first thing we are going to do? Go find the "bad guy" and beat the hell out of him!

Edited by PostalTwinkie

I was surprised, but not for the same reasons you were....

I don't see how they didn't expect people to want to beat the hell out of each other in this game. I think most people playing this have had some level of wanting to own a Lightsaber, and now we kind-of-sorta-in-a-round-about-way have one. What is the first thing we are going to do? Go find the "bad guy" and beat the hell out of him!

Everyone owned a lightsaber at some point. It cost a dollar every Halloween.

DE is surprised because BW did not put a lot of thought and effort into pvp compared to the pve content. Obviously, some thought went into pvp and the warzones are a nice touch, even if they are quite repetitive after two months. Ilum is simply a poor excuse for a zone in a 2012 MMO. The lag there is absoultely horrible so much so that I feel like we've regressed to 1999.

We were sold a false bill of goods when it comes to pvp. Do you remember those Huttball videos from last summer when players were level 14? It looked great. People lived a good long time and nobody was getting two shotted.

Fast forward to now at level 50 and you will be cc'd, shot, stunned, shot, knocked back, shot, slowed and killed in about 8 seconds or less. Oh wait, you don't have full battlemaster gear? Here, go farm our highly unplayable and pointless pvp zone for valor and commendations.

DE is surprised because BW is not expecting people to enjoy pvp because that's the way they built it.

Hi,

Question - how did you get that data ? I started playing again after they fixed ability delay. Since PVE is boring and stupid I'm always in the queue for warzone. Warzones are boring (3 scenerios over and over) but at least not stupid (since you don't know what enemy will do).

I play usualy after 4pm GMT+1 or 9pm GMT+1 for hour or two. And I'm on low pop server. Very low compare to some of the servers in game.

And yet I'm able to do 3-4 warzones and there are times when I don't move for a step from my position because just after one warzone - second pop-up.

PVP is not so bad. Especialy since my operative OWN everyone on the battlefield :p Hidden strike + knock down + stunf make me drop enemy by 60% before he has a chance to do something.

I wasn't surprised. They've never said that this woul be a pvp game. I never expected it to be a pvp game. It's not a pvp game.

They're surprised at how many casual players are also dabbling in pvp. They thought they were provided an awesome leveling experience with stories, some space missions, crew skills, datacrons etc. all for casuals. The raiders have their operations and HMs at end game. The pvp was a little feature added. There hasn't' been a pvp MMO in a while.

meanwhile on my server our guild keeps on growing with more and more new players. and the republic side keeps getting stronger and stronger..

Same.

On the my server, Giradda the Hutt, I'm seeing the same thing. Over the last week we actually have had some great open world PvP fights on Ilum. Things have gotten a lot better and I hope it stays that way.

I do feel bad for others though if things are indeed going downhill on their server.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.