Wow. No Jedi Knight guide?

Jaiysin_Arclight

Why do people need guides is my question? If you play your class you're going to learn how to play it as you progress. You become good at something through practice. Besides not like you'll be doing hardcore raids around lv 10 anyway.

I think you misunderstood the question buddy:)

Anyway the guides usually are in under the advanced class section (there's several stickies in the sentinel forum).

Apparently no Guardians have posted a guide but I would be very surprised if google doesn't have an answer for you.

What the OP meant, I think, is that most of the other class forums have a guide which includes info such as lists of companions; when you get the companions, what gear they use, all that sort of thing.

As it is, I have no idea when I get my next companion... Alderaan? Balmorra? Who knows. It'd be nice if there was such a thread on these forums. Not everyone is as 1337 as you.

Go to the Sith Warrior forums and read the guides there. You'll only need to look at the corresponding ability names to understand it, since the classes are basically mirrors of each other. Edited by Sarq

What the OP meant, I think, is that most of the other class forums have a guide which includes info such as lists of companions; when you get the companions, what gear they use, all that sort of thing.

As it is, I have no idea when I get my next companion... Alderaan? Balmorra? Who knows. It'd be nice if there was such a thread on these forums. Not everyone is as 1337 as you.

To be honest I never cared for any guide, I play the game, enjoy it and that's it. If i want to find something out i ask in chat and someone usually answers.

There's nothing about being leet - as you say, it's about playing the game, the fun is in discovery.

The quests take you everywhere you need to go and what I found out with Doc for example is that you will get him when you are supposed to get him, not before. Just do your class quests in order and you'll be fine. No need for any guide.

Why do people need guides is my question? If you play your class you're going to learn how to play it as you progress. You become good at something through practice. Besides not like you'll be doing hardcore raids around lv 10 anyway.

This reminds me of my experiences with learning guitar... I started learning blindly with no real information (I hated practicing other peoples songs), these days I can play quite well by feeling but ask me the specifics of something I'm doing and you'll get a shrug.

There are two "right" ways to do everything: You can learn by experimentation and explore the space yourself or you can be taught/shown something and learn it from another source.

Arguably, with the right philosophy and understanding of physics you could learn a martial art without a teacher, but it would take your entire life, just as it took the original creator of that art ages to "perfect" it.

Some people learn better when they are given a baseline to draw their understanding from -- and you shouldn't be so pretentious as to imply that people who prefer having information to learn from aren't as good as you. Not everyone wants to suffer through re-inventing the wheel to learn just to learn how to use a wheel barrel.

Edited by OldWestHero

This reminds me of my experiences with learning guitar... I started learning blindly with no real information (I hated practicing other peoples songs), these days I can play quite well by feeling but ask me the specifics of something I'm doing and you'll get a shrug.

There are two "right" ways to do everything: You can learn by experimentation and explore the space yourself or you can be taught/shown something and learn it from another source.

Arguably, with the right philosophy and understanding of physics you could learn a martial art without a teacher, but it would take your entire life, just as it took the original creator of that art ages to "perfect" it.

Some people learn better when they are given a baseline to draw their understanding from -- and you shouldn't be so pretentious as to imply that people who prefer having information to learn from aren't as good as you. Not everyone wants to suffer through re-inventing the wheel to learn just to learn how to use a wheel barrel.

These are stupid examples. You can learn any class by hovering your mouse over all your abilities and stats. That's all the information you need ... assuming you don't completely lack simple reasoning and deduction skills.

they need guides because they lack reasoning skills... they cannot figure anything out on their own and want someone else to do it for them.

I would put this in all caps, but it would be rude, no?

They need guides because some people work/have responsibilities/sit at their PC all day/etc. and want to be able to understand the game a bit more, and perhaps miss one or 2 things along the way that might make the game more fun for them, so they like to join the community and see what others have to say about the class, its abilities, and different ways to play.

Just because I cannot/ do not analyze every single aspect of the more complex way things interact within the game (for example, how Surge/Alacrity/Power/Accuracy interact, and what is a good mix of these stats) doesn't mean I don't appreciate others doing this, and when others share this knowledge, it is with the understanding that people will read and use it.

Now if those posters think the readers of the information are lazy leeches, would they post it? I think not.

Perhaps you're missing the point of forums: to build a COMMUNITY.

I think you misunderstood the question buddy:)

Anyway the guides usually are in under the advanced class section (there's several stickies in the sentinel forum).

Apparently no Guardians have posted a guide but I would be very surprised if google doesn't have an answer for you.

Tried getting some support for the guides I post, but no one seems to really care - or at least doesn't say they care. Hard to get a sticky if no one thinks the information is useful.

This is like saying, "If u want to be a doctor don't waste ur time studying in a classroom. Get out there and start performing surgery and u will learn as u go." Granted u prolly will learn a few things that way, but it certainly won't be an optimal use of ur time, and ur victums (er...patients) prolly won't appreciate it.

There's nothing wrong with:

a) scouting out a path b4 u decide to walk down it

b) using available resources to ensure you are setting urself up for success rather then failure

c) applying advise from peers to optimize ur performance, especially in a team based activity

While it is possible that u are so l33t that u can start a new game and within a few hours have every possible spec / rotation / gear set up / crafting strategy figured out, I find it much more likely that ur one of the many players running around severly gimped by a subpar spec or gear setup and thus detracting from the experience of those u group with.

I'm not saying u gotta be Johnny Cookiecutter to do well in this game, but there's nothing wrong with searching for advice from those who have gone b4 u in hopes of improving ur own ability. I have much more respect for the person who admits they might not know everything and thus searches for greater knowledge than I do for those who stick there head in the sand and claim there's nothing more to see.

TLDR: Get off ur high horse and let other people enjoy the game how they choose to enjoy it - for a lot of folks that includes checking to make sure they are optimizing their performance and play time.

edit: Forgot to mention, check out http://www.sithwarrior.com for some of the best guides / discussion / theorycrafting out there.

Edited by Nykoli

If we cut this thread down to just the useful posts, we'd still be on the first page.

It's really sad that these forum posts always seem to devolve into arguments and accusations. There's just too much elitism going on. The OP is asking for a guide because they are useful, just like an instruction manual is. Nobody *needs* one, but most of the time its much easier to figure things out when you read how things can (or probably do) work.

It's the most iconic class in the game (lore wise). Where is one I can find?

First off... /facepalm. There are these magical things called advanced classes at the top of the Jedi Knight thread page where I saw this post.

Secondly:

+1 good sir. You have been blessed with the gift of common sense. Tip of the hat to your magnificence.

Tried getting some support for the guides I post, but no one seems to really care - or at least doesn't say they care. Hard to get a sticky if no one thinks the information is useful.

That's rather disappointing, I think your tanking guide is quite helpful

First off... /facepalm. There are these magical things called advanced classes at the top of the Jedi Knight thread page where I saw this post.

Went there before posting. Wasn't one. As I haven't the time to stroll (troll?) every thread I was hoping to cut down some time by asking the community, My mistake, won't let it happen again...

Edited by Jaiysin_Arclight

Went there before posting. Wasn't one. As I haven't the time to stroll (troll?) every thread I was hoping to cut down some time by asking the community, My mistake, won't let it happen again...

Naww... don't mind them. I think a guide would be a great thing and would happily start one if I knew I would have time to maintain it. But if you have any questions just ask in this thread and I will do my very best to help you. Don't know what lvl you are, or if there is anything specific that you would like to know but I can start of with a few things I would have found useful.

* get moddable gear for T7, along the way you will find q-rewards or equipment from commendations that makes it possible to get all orange gear for T7. That made all the difference for me, he is much easier to gear then.

* here is a link to a site that some nice person has made with the different cuzt-options for our companions. Don't look at it if you don't want to know them in advance

http://www.morsvenit.com/forum/page/2/m/3676545/viewthread/2082342-companion-customization

Our companions.

1:st one

T7 - our single target tank that you get straight out of Tython. Aim and endurance for our lovable droid

http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/T7-O1

2:nd one

Kira - mele dps willpower and endurance. Added to your party when you leave Coruscant.

http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Kira_Carsen

LI for male JK

3:rd one

Doc - healer that you get on Balmorra. Cunning and endurance.

http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Doc

edited: 4:th or 5:th one. Need help from JK community to remember which you get first.

Lord Scourge - mele tank. Strenth and endurance. Added at well, it is really a spoiler just to mention it so I won't =)

http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Scourge

edited: 4:th or 5:th one

Rusk - ranged dps Aim and endurance. Added after Hoth

http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Sergeant_Rusk

I may very well have jumbled up something, if someone finds a mistake please point it out. Doing it politely goes a long way for keeping a nice tone in the thread =) and if anyone brave soul wants to get a guide started feel free to copy everything that you perhaps find useful.

Edited by SilentKitty

Don't think some of you realise this is a game. It's not supposed to be a job unless you want it that way. It's not surgery , it's not guitar playing, its just that , a game.

A guide comes from someone else and it's that person's style not yours, so shrugs, if that's what you want and you are unable to play unless you have guide # 100 printed then go right ahead.

I've actually been working on a guardian guide for a bit now, since I agree with the OP that the lack is a bit surprising. I'm not an expert by any means, though, so even assuming it gets seen (much less stickied) it'll likely be a while before I get enough feedback to make it any good. :i_frown:

Don't think some of you realise this is a game. It's not supposed to be a job unless you want it that way. It's not surgery , it's not guitar playing, its just that , a game.

A guide comes from someone else and it's that person's style not yours, so shrugs, if that's what you want and you are unable to play unless you have guide # 100 printed then go right ahead.

*sigh*

Don't think anyone has said that they need a guide to be able to play. Sometimes it's just nice to have one. A nice to have thing, not a must have thing.

If anyone has useful info that you think could benefit someone new to our class. Post it and I'll add it to my post. Cheers everyone =)

I've actually been working on a guardian guide for a bit now, since I agree with the OP that the lack is a bit surprising. I'm not an expert by any means, though, so even assuming it gets seen (much less stickied) it'll likely be a while before I get enough feedback to make it any good. :i_frown:

Great! I'm Sentinel so haven't got the foggiest about the guardian so I can't help you with good comments, but good luck and hope ppl here like it =)

Edited by SilentKitty