Was WoW actually good at launch, or was it fresh? Is that why SWTOR doesn't have.....

BOLTgamer

Watching one of ZybakTv's new videos it made me realize, was was just a good game at launch, or was it just fresh, nothing like it at the time?

Anyway, is that why people don't like SWTOR? I mean, judging from playing WoW at its prime, I always felt that it was great, but watching the video I realized I loved it so much because there was nothing like it on the market. WoW was good because there wasn't anything like it on the market, this is why people continued to play WoW.

Following WoW, no new mmo's came out that had something different, that gave it a "Fresh" feel. Point i'm getting at is SWTOR still has time left, and in order to keep players they need to add something that gives the game a fresh feels.

I mean look at games like MW3, people say it isn't good, I don't think that's the case of you're a new comer, but in reality it isn't, because it doesn't do anything fresh. Cod4 is considered one of the best shooters of all time because it was so new and different.

So take a word of advice, and make this game feel like it's new, it just feels too much like WoW, im sorry, it's a good game, but it doesn't have a fresh feel the makes you enjoy it. If you want SWTOR to be good add something that sets it apart from other games on the market.

Edited by BOLTgamer

personally i think because wow was fresh and EA (as they always do with AAA titles) made it out to be the second coming but was not as great as they made it out to be, just look at bf3. Try getting into a game now without punkbuster kicking you because of the new patch.

Watching one of ZybakTv's new videos it made me realize, was was just a good game at launch, or was it just fresh, nothing like it at the time?

Anyway, is that why people don't like SWTOR?.

Too general. You're assuming "people" in general indeed don't like TOR, instead of forum trolls not liking TOR. Big difference.

Edited by Brickabrack

There is no reason to comment on something like this because you use the word Wow too much in comparison making it look like a huge troll rather you meant it to or not.

I just enjoy a new game after playing wow for 2 years and I am enjoying myself I'm not going to unsub because a few small things wow has that this doesn't and certainly not over bugs.

No replies? This could definetly help developers bring in more players.....

wow was **** at launch. servers constant crashed for half a year after launch. bugs up the ying yang. imbalance like youve never seen ect. some servers had 60% of their population as rogue because they were so op. (burning blade early vanilla)

Too general. You're assuming "people" in general indeed don't like TOR, instead of forum trolls not liking TOR. Big difference.

Trust me, I love this game, and a lot of people in my guild do to. BUT, it doesn't have any magic, you can like a game for so long before you get burned out. I dont go to sleep wanting to play SWTOR instantly again (like I did with wow, something like Zybak said). For short term, a game can be fun, but if it doesn't do something different, the magic isn't gonna happen and drive you to continue playing.

A lot of my friends and guildies agree with me.

"Was WoW actually good at launch?" No, I wouldn't say so.. it was a buggy mess with lag, rollbacks, you were stuck in loting position, etc. The servers were down for days, some classes didn't have skill trees, and it wasn't really "fresh", it was an MMO like many before it. Edited by Lundli

wow was **** at launch. servers constant crashed for half a year after launch. bugs up the ying yang. imbalance like youve never seen ect. some servers had 60% of their population as rogue because they were so op. (burning blade early vanilla)

I never said I played WoW at launch, I started it at the end of BC, and some of my friends said vanilla was the best. Anyway, im not asking for this game to be like WoW, im asking the OPPOSITE, I want something new to set it apart and give it the magic feeling.

WoW was both good and fresh at launch. It surpassed in scale any other MMO at launch. Was far more itemized (itemization will make or break or a game).

SWTOR has some very fresh features, features that other games will copy. But they forgot to create a world we fall in love with, or give us "OMG" moments or a sense of accomplishment along the way. I think SWTOR is good and fresh. But not in a way that will keep people around for months and years. It really is KotOR with chat and some grouping options.

During SWG when the nerf-bunnies started to make the game less than it was, or could have been, there was a lot of cheering about the beta for a new game called WoW. I played the first online version in the 90s, so wasn't interested, but did see a lot of people quit SWG and go to WoW. Funny part was all the hopping back and forth between the games until the NGE made the game CareBear heaven and people generally went to WoW or some other game.

Until something is done that really super wows people, this kind of game hopping will most likely continue.

Back in the early days, people made similar comments we see here--good, bad, indifferent, off the wall and everything else--but since the game was new others decided it was better. The pendulum swings and minds change as new "bells, whistles, and mermaids, and Pandas driving choppers" are included.

Like the old saying goes, "There's nothing new under the sun." Every new game has it's ups and downs and Wookies with sabres. Yes, I still have the pictures. :o

Sure, there were all kinds of bugs when WoW was released.

But I at least felt like I was playing something new, with decent gameplay and responsive controls.

When I played Swtor at launch, I felt like I was taking a step back in terms of gameplay.

It was akin to playing Halo or CoD for years, then going back to DOOM controls. A big step back, not forward.

I'd take solid play with crashes to desktop once in a while, over crappy gameplay but no crashes, any day.

Perhaps if I played videogames for story I'd feel differently.

Edited by OldBenSmokin

I never said I played WoW at launch, I started it at the end of BC, and some of my friends said vanilla was the best. Anyway, im not asking for this game to be like WoW, im asking the OPPOSITE, I want something new to set it apart and give it the magic feeling.

This is something new.

Its a story driven RPG-MMO (instead of MMO-RPG) that has choice impact.

If that's not new enough you will have to wait at least 4 years for a new MMO idea because so far everything coming down the pipe is a variation of EQ.

If you want sandbox you should go play eve.

If you want story you should play swtor.

If you want pvp you should play GW2.

If you want hack and slash you should play tera.

If you want panda yiffing go play wow.

Also, im not talking about WoW in general, im talking about all of your guys' first MMO's and how it feels different from new mmo's you play, and how the developers can translate the worlds and gameplay features to make the game set apart from other games and become a unique, fresh mmo for new mmo and veteran players.

Every game has issues when they come out. Stand alone games usually have extensive patches going out 3-6 months after release. MMO is nice because it forces the Devs to push out fixes faster.

WOW definitely got a big boost initially because it was something different and had a good following from the WC3 crowd. That doesn't mean it didn't have issues of crashing constantly and things not working right. Heck the game still had/has major issues after Xpac releases or major content patches. Just the nature of the business.

SWTOR has a good following so far thanks to a strong IP. There are going to be a LOT of growing pains for the next 6-12 months though. The game we are experiencing now will probably be nothing like what we have in a year.

There will always be a few things people will demand a fix for but simply seems to never happen in an MMO. 1) Smooth operation on all system configs. 2) Classes balanced.

"Was WoW actually good at launch?" No, I wouldn't say so.. it was a buggy mess with lag, rollbacks, you were stuck in loting position, etc. The servers were down for days, some classes didn't have skill trees, and it wasn't really "fresh", it was an MMO like many before it.

No, that's not accurate or even close. Were there lag issues? At times. Did people get stuck in looting position? A lot! Every class had a skill tree. Rollbacks did happen, but only to a few select people. There's a big difference between what we expect now and then. Going from an EQ launch (where we were basically down for 4 days), to an AO launch (where everything was broken or buggy) to a DAoC launch that was smooth but severely lacking content, AC2 (no content) but smooth. WoW was at least as smooth as the AC launches, but had far more. It's like, I hated logging because I was stuck looting. But so what? I was dying to log in because we were about to run Scholo or BRD or something. Bugs are bugs. The game world is what matters and WoW's was amazing for the time. At launch.

This is something new.

Its a story driven RPG-MMO (instead of MMO-RPG) that has choice impact.

If that's not new enough you will have to wait at least 4 years for a new MMO idea because so far everything coming down the pipe is a variation of EQ.

If you want sandbox you should go play eve.

If you want story you should play swtor.

If you want pvp you should play GW2.

If you want hack and slash you should play tera.

If you want panda yiffing go play wow.

I try to make a constructive thread and you fanboys flame me, oh my. Its pretty obvious that you're a big fanboy. Second off, Story is a pillar, not a new gameplay feature, if I wanted to go play a story game I would play it. I love the story and all, but im talking about how the worlds set it apart, how the gameplay sets it apart, a lot of the game systems are just small revamps of previous mmo's.

It doesn't have the magic feeling for you I'm part of a large circle of people that can't stop raving about it..who is right?

I started playing WoW at beta one.....there were just as many if not more bugs and show stooping issues the servers were horrible people were screaming for features and there were three times as many Trolls screaming fail in the first two month despite having a smaller sub base than TOR has now.

Magic is subjective

Every game has issues when they come out. Stand alone games usually have extensive patches going out 3-6 months after release. MMO is nice because it forces the Devs to push out fixes faster.

WOW definitely got a big boost initially because it was something different and had a good following from the WC3 crowd. That doesn't mean it didn't have issues of crashing constantly and things not working right. Heck the game still had/has major issues after Xpac releases or major content patches. Just the nature of the business.

SWTOR has a good following so far thanks to a strong IP. There are going to be a LOT of growing pains for the next 6-12 months though. The game we are experiencing now will probably be nothing like what we have in a year.

There will always be a few things people will demand a fix for but simply seems to never happen in an MMO. 1) Smooth operation on all system configs. 2) Classes balanced.

WoW was something new, this isn't a thread to compare WoW to SWTOR, maybe if some of these fanboys (not talking to you) actually read the darn thread, or listened to the video, they would know what im talking about. Sure WoW was buggy, it was new, it presented quest, pvp different. It added a better way to socialize, and made everything much cleaner.

No, that's not accurate or even close. Were there lag issues? At times. Did people get stuck in looting position? A lot! Every class had a skill tree. Rollbacks did happen, but only to a few select people. There's a big difference between what we expect now and then. Going from an EQ launch (where we were basically down for 4 days), to an AO launch (where everything was broken or buggy) to a DAoC launch that was smooth but severely lacking content, AC2 (no content) but smooth. WoW was at least as smooth as the AC launches, but had far more. It's like, I hated logging because I was stuck looting. But so what? I was dying to log in because we were about to run Scholo or BRD or something. Bugs are bugs. The game world is what matters and WoW's was amazing for the time. At launch.

Did you play on executus?

That server crashed every god damn week.

At one point it cost rope town the world first of cthun. They had him at 4% when the server crashed and then 1 hr later nihilism got it. (think thats what they were called back then). So far only Iron council has crashed in swtor. 1 server... once. I was also online for that.

Also, im not talking about WoW in general, im talking about all of your guys' first MMO's and how it feels different from new mmo's you play, and how the developers can translate the worlds and gameplay features to make the game set apart from other games and become a unique, fresh mmo for new mmo and veteran players.

No one is flaming you....you presented your post as if everyone feels the exact same way you do and that the game was stagnating.....it isn't.

Calling someone on false perceptions isn't flaming.

It doesn't have the magic feeling for you I'm part of a large circle of people that can't stop raving about it..who is right?

I started playing WoW at beta one.....there were just as many if not more bugs and show stooping issues the servers were horrible people were screaming for features and there were three times as many Trolls screaming fail in the first two month despite having a smaller sub base than TOR has now.

Magic is subjective

What do you "feel" when you play SWTOR, I love the game but it's just shallow for me and almost everyone I know, if you have magic you're just forcing yourself to think the game is innovative, when it's not, and even the founders of BioWare have said it.