Devs, you're missing your window to save Operative/Scoundrel healing

bobudo

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fingers are crossed for something in the Q&A tomorrow.

I don't know about any one else but we could start a pledge thread for the next Q&A if they don't mention something. Posters would pledge to post about the healing situation in the Q&A thread. Just an idea.

Fingers are crossed for something in the Q&A tomorrow.

I don't know about any one else but we could start a pledge thread for the next Q&A if they don't mention something. Posters would pledge to post about the healing situation in the Q&A thread. Just an idea.

Not sure I follow what the idea is.

Is this just getting everyone to post in the thread, or more like a hunger strike. "I pledge to stop playing one day a week for every week that goes by without a response. Starting this week, I will not play on Tuesday...if there is no mention of Healer issues on Friday, next week I won't play on Tues/Thurs..."

Not sure I follow what the idea is.

Is this just getting everyone to post in the thread, or more like a hunger strike. "I pledge to stop playing one day a week for every week that goes by without a response. Starting this week, I will not play on Tuesday...if there is no mention of Healer issues on Friday, next week I won't play on Tues/Thurs..."

I was thinking more of like a linking from appropriate forums to the singular healer forum topic which will be the main thread which will point every one to the Q&A. It could possibly rally those affected to the cause. the last Q&A thread was just over 100 pages long and with i think 10 posts a page the number is over 1000 posts. The Q&A answers 10-15 questions so far. If we were to get over 100 people to ask about the healing disparity we could either A) get an answer or B) know we are flat out being brushed off.

The main thread could give live updates on healer statuses of Live and PTS patches and could link to major threads. (personally I would like to maybe compile your relevent threads and Bobudo's to make it a simpler read and bring the problems to the surface for everyone)

We could also use it to maybe plan an event or something of that nature to bring every one together on a low pop realm.

Its not a horrible idea but it is something more than sitting around complaining, proofing, and hoping.

On a whim, I respeced and ran a flashpoint as DPS. First time seeing a sage healer in action. They had none of the problems I do healing the content. I noticed their regular heals were healing for more than my crits do and they get a shield? Fights were I was struggling to keep everyone up, no one dropped below 50% health with the sage. They have a nice toolbox, that all healers should have, to keep a group alive. We get a weak hot and some weak heals, not enough.

I'm quite upset as I knew we were weak, but this weak? How the heck does something this obviously unbalanced leave beta? Were we not meant to be party healers? This should have been fixed the first month of the game. The sad thing is, we aren't going to get buffed. This is going to end up as a nerf to sages, if anything.

I'm done. Sick of playing a broken class. Sick of all these people that say I'm a scrub because their scoundrel heals just fine. I'm sure it does, buddy! You know what, I guess that means everyone in this thread with the same problems sucks also? I guess that's why I never see other scoundrel healers in game, because we suck, not the class.

Already rerolled, no point in waiting around to be viable some day when I could play a viable class now. Maybe I'll remake him in the future if I'm wrong and scoundrels do get buffed, but seeing him sitting in character select just makes me mad. Playing scoundrel was an exercise in frustration.

I play an OP Healer. I cleared my first Operation within the first hour I had hit 50 and was told there was a raid spot waiting for me if I wanted it... in three different guilds... two of which were 10/10 Nightmare 16m. So, let's be clear, I don't want to have to dig up my WoW history (Tyranny, Blood Legion, blah blah blah - do you really care?) to prove my point.

OPERATIVE HEALING IS UNPLAYABLE.

BUT IT WON'T GET FIXED FOR MONTHS.

No legitimate fix is going to come out from Bioware any time soon. Even if they have the entire dev team working on the situation, you don't want to wind up in the yo-yo band-aid situation that Disc Priest were put in during early Cataclysm. It SUCKS to get given your "you are viable now" button only to have it yanked away. It's even worse when your class is just seen as something to be brought in and abused on X fight, then discarded, precisely because of the existing raid structures / strats that the OP mentioned.

HOWEVER.

The reality is that this is a young MMO. The doors aren't closed. The best progression guild that will ever exist in SWTOR HAS NOT YET FORMED I PROMISE YOU. Whatever guilds, progress, operations, PVP kills and celebrities that exist now are not the ones that will define the community in a year. I promise you, those people don't emerge until months into the game because the game itself doesn't take shape fully in time.

-

Threats of unsubscribing and quitting won't help the situation. We do want a DEV RESPONSE, in fact we deserve one, but I don't want one promising to fix our issue "quickly" because when the class is overhauled (and lets be real - that's what it's going to take, both DPS and healers need a movement ability, maybe even one that "trades stealth for movement" or something (a talent choice) and we need our energy pool either extended or adrenaline probe time cut in half for healing so we can burst, and we need our AoE heal fixed to be an actual AOE emergency heal instead of a bad 4-player AoE that we almost never cast)

ANYWAY.

When those fixes come and the overhaul that needs to come happens, it needs to be the one that jumpstarts the class.

-

BUT BIOWARE? WE DO WANT YOU TO LET US KNOW THAT SUCH A THING IS COMING. WE CAN ACCEPT THAT IT WILL TAKE MONTHS, AND I ENCOURAGE PATIENCE, BUT WE NEED TO KNOW THAT IT IS BEING WORKED ON.

And yes, I'm rerolling to Sorcerer. I enjoy Priest mechanics far more than Druid mechanics, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like my Operative to suddenly see the light of day again.

I play an OP Healer. I cleared my first Operation within the first hour I had hit 50 and was told there was a raid spot waiting for me if I wanted it... in three different guilds... two of which were 10/10 Nightmare 16m. So, let's be clear, I don't want to have to dig up my WoW history (Tyranny, Blood Legion, blah blah blah - do you really care?) to prove my point.

OPERATIVE HEALING IS UNPLAYABLE.

BUT IT WON'T GET FIXED FOR MONTHS.

No legitimate fix is going to come out from Bioware any time soon. Even if they have the entire dev team working on the situation, you don't want to wind up in the yo-yo band-aid situation that Disc Priest were put in during early Cataclysm. It SUCKS to get given your "you are viable now" button only to have it yanked away. It's even worse when your class is just seen as something to be brought in and abused on X fight, then discarded, precisely because of the existing raid structures / strats that the OP mentioned.

HOWEVER.

The reality is that this is a young MMO. The doors aren't closed. The best progression guild that will ever exist in SWTOR HAS NOT YET FORMED I PROMISE YOU. Whatever guilds, progress, operations, PVP kills and celebrities that exist now are not the ones that will define the community in a year. I promise you, those people don't emerge until months into the game because the game itself doesn't take shape fully in time.

-

Threats of unsubscribing and quitting won't help the situation. We do want a DEV RESPONSE, in fact we deserve one, but I don't want one promising to fix our issue "quickly" because when the class is overhauled (and lets be real - that's what it's going to take, both DPS and healers need a movement ability, maybe even one that "trades stealth for movement" or something (a talent choice) and we need our energy pool either extended or adrenaline probe time cut in half for healing so we can burst, and we need our AoE heal fixed to be an actual AOE emergency heal instead of a bad 4-player AoE that we almost never cast)

ANYWAY.

When those fixes come and the overhaul that needs to come happens, it needs to be the one that jumpstarts the class.

-

BUT BIOWARE? WE DO WANT YOU TO LET US KNOW THAT SUCH A THING IS COMING. WE CAN ACCEPT THAT IT WILL TAKE MONTHS, AND I ENCOURAGE PATIENCE, BUT WE NEED TO KNOW THAT IT IS BEING WORKED ON.

And yes, I'm rerolling to Sorcerer. I enjoy Priest mechanics far more than Druid mechanics, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like my Operative to suddenly see the light of day again.

MY EYES >.<

seriously though most of those leaving don't want to play a subpar class with an even more mediocre spec.

I also realized that besides the different class quests and faction quests there is really no reason to level up twice using the general quests unless you want the vanity items as there is no alternate route to take after level 10. WoW has 2 general chains for each faction and you could match and pair them. in ToR there is one and only one for each faction. I don't know about you but I'm having a tough time not just running flashpoints and warzones to level up an alt.

MY EYES >.<

seriously though most of those leaving don't want to play a subpar class with an even more mediocre spec.

I don't want to play a sub-par class. I'm not playing my Operative because they are subpar, and the Medical Therapy fix isn't going to change that. My point is that the class needs a complete overhaul, which isn't going to happen overnight.

HOWEVER. I don't think the window magically "closes". Holy Paladins spent 7 years in WoW as a single target healer, only to become the best AoE healer in the game at the end of Cataclysm. There's no point where people just say "this class cannot be saved, period".

I would love a dev confirmation that they are working on Operatives beyond the Medical Therapy fix, and as soon as that happens, I'd like to be on the forefront of the class. Until then though, I can't blame people who are benching theirs... and I think that's healthy. The DEVS have heuristics, they can see that Operatives are underrepresented as healers and that fewer and fewer Operative hours are being logged.

It's not hard for them to draw conclusions from there - we're complaining about a lack of communication more than a class that will never be fixed.

@Subrosian : I totally agree with your posts in general.

I have benched my Op Med and am leveling a Merc (Can't stand the Sorc and they WILL be nerfed, unless BW really do not know what they are doing). I really love my Op Med though, and all I really want is SOME kind of dev response indicating at minimum that they are aware of the problems and have some kind of plan.

Completely agree with the whole thread. As a Scoundrel healer who has cleared all 16m Nightmare content, has both titles, etc, I feel like I'm putting the raid at a handicap by taking a slot over a Sage or even a Commando. Our guild has 2 Scoundrel Healers right now (out of 6 healers on roster....), and it isn't uncommon at all for both of us to sit on a given raid night.

My situation is compounded by the fact that I have a 50 Sage now, who is mix T1-T2 geared... and my Guild Leader will not let me switch over. He thinks somehow that our HoTs make up for our lackluster performance across the board. I'm at the point where I might consider leaving my guild just so I can play as a class that doesn't feel like a waste of space.

I keep popping into this thread and hoping that Georg will have posted something on it, seeing that on the Dev Tracker he deigned to post on some garbage thread about a level 16 feeling that there was a damage disparity.... sigh.

So while I'm doing game related stuff instead of actually playing....any suggestions for the Operative/Scoundrel calculator? Should I just keep it as a sustained mode calculation? Should I try and code in a "Set burst and recover phase length" option? Its an easy question with Commandos, our burst lasts 10 seconds and needs 15 before we can do it again.

Should I just try and mirror that? 15 seconds in, burst starts and you chain cast like a fool for 10 seconds, then try and recover in the next 15? Of course, that's just a hardcoded version of option 2 above...

Unfortunately, we do not really have much of a burst cycle. The strongest burst we can fall back on is Kolto Injection > Kolto Infusion until energy hits below 20, then use Adrenaline probe to continue. Surgical Probe can be interspersed to elongate the spiral.

A sustained mode calculation would be excellent. The burst /recover phase length would certainly highlight deficiencies, but I don't know how useful it would be otherwise.

@Subrosian : I totally agree with your posts in general.

I have benched my Op Med and am leveling a Merc (Can't stand the Sorc and they WILL be nerfed, unless BW really do not know what they are doing). I really love my Op Med though, and all I really want is SOME kind of dev response indicating at minimum that they are aware of the problems and have some kind of plan.

I have the feeling i'll win a lotery ticket before any developper answer our question....

Seriously... BW treat us like a bunch of re-tard....

-Patch maintenance for Europeans during evening...

-No answer at all to our question + (chinese/spanish customer service ??) Christ... im a french canadian, i can speak english not that bad but speaking with an imported that barely speak english OMG !!!

-fixing stuff that no one care beside bugs...

-Always try to fix ilum... lol...

-Classes not balanced at all... Playing half-completed classe like operative is just sad...

(and more)

I would like my operative to be a competitive healer... for those who say that they heal just as good as sorcerer... Have you tried one ? seriously there is nothing to compare.... Racing in lada vs a ferrari...

Edited by Saella

Hello posters of my sister class, I'm an end-game sniper.

I was wondering why field medics are so rare, this has been enlightening. I have a question though, sorcs recover 8 mana per sec, while operatives recover 5 energy per second (if they stay within the sweet range). Looking at this aspect alone, does a sorc put out more direct heals (over the course of an encouter) compared to the operative at the same level? Or are the problems confined to the secondary effects and utilities (operatives having more hots and less instant casts, sorcs having better shield/AoE heal, etc)

I was wondering why field medics are so rare, this has been enlightening. I have a question though, sorcs recover 8 mana per sec, while operatives recover 5 energy per second (if they stay within the sweet range). Looking at this aspect alone, does a sorc put out more direct heals (over the course of an encouter) compared to the operative at the same level? Or are the problems confined to the secondary effects and utilities (operatives having more hots and less instant casts, sorcs having better shield/AoE heal, etc)

A sorc is able to cast ~35 big heals in a row and we are able to cast 5 big heals in a row.

Its easier for a Sorc to be resource neutral, as they have 500-650 Force to play with. Yea, their heals cost a ton of Force per heal, but the static regen rate, coupled with (when played right) 8% of their total force every 9 seconds (for free btw) means I can stay above 70% of my total force, EVEN healing the stupid DPS who doesn't know to avoid the red circle on the floor.

And since I do have such a huge pool of resource, and with the 8F/S, even in periods of huge burst healing, I don't drain fast, and I can recover easier, even without the 'ohh ****' button.

I'm waiting to see if the Devs are going to address this in today's questions, and if they don't...I guess I'm rolling a Merc healer....I've been in enough nerfs to know when to feel that hammer starting to swing. I feel it swinging on Sorcs.

Energy and Mana styles of play should compliment one another. Unfortunately, the reality could not be further removed.

In theory, Mana users should be able to put out more sustained high HPS while being very fearful of going OOM and end up gimping themselves for the rest of the fight due to their limited tools for recovering spent mana. In contrast, Energy burst HPS should be lower and shorter, but once we reach 0, we're only out of the game for short periods.

The unfortunate reality is that Mana users rarely go OOM, so the trade-off is not a fair one. There are a few reasons for this. In PvE, a lot of the encounters have time based enrage mechanics - so long fights (where an Energy user should shine) are few and far between. In PvP, dying and gaps in combat are so frequent that Mana never has a chance to go low - and even if it does, Sorc's Lifetap and the game-wide Seethe ability make regenning a cinch. Combine that with a flat in-combat regen which does not punish burst healing, and you're left with a very, very powerful healer.

There are also severe utility imbalances too, but these are mostly because of the high faction imbalance causing 80% of PvP to be Huttball. It's a great Warzone (and possibly the most unique thing to SWTOR), but it favors acrobatic classes so heavily that it ends up adding insult to injury.

I may have oversimplified a few things, but that's the general gist of it.

I am looking more in the lines of:

Operative can cast X heal that costs 20 energy so it restores X/20 health per energy, since you recover 5 energy per sec, operative has X/4 healing per sec capacity. And then the same for sorc.

So I'm wondering about the numerics of the battle actually.

I'm waiting to see if the Devs are going to address this in today's questions, and if they don't...I guess I'm rolling a Merc healer....I've been in enough nerfs to know when to feel that hammer starting to swing. I feel it swinging on Sorcs.

Which is absolutely what most of us don't want to see. Sage / Sorc is very, very good! The other heals just need to be closer to the target it sets!

If they nerf Sage / Sorc instead of buffing the other healers... take cover, because you ain't seen rage yet.

Again, I got no problems with Sage! Encounters are built with them in mind! Just give some love to the other healers. Thus, no rage (okay, maybe a bit from PVP gankers for making their kills slightly harder, but I don't count them) and a great deal of goodwill.

Let's be honest here folks :

1- We have a crap healer in the name of Op Med

2- We have a decent healer called a Merc

3- We have a FOTM face-roll healer called a Sorc

Do you honestly think that BW will buff the other two classes to the Sorcs OP level ??? ...or nerf the Sorc down to the BH's level and then only have to rework/buff one class ? Whatever players think about nerfs, it is most definitely in this case what BW will choose to do as it is the most efficient way of dealing with the problem... well if they are thinking of dealing with it that is. Until they do, welcome to a Sorc world with a smattering of BHs for spice and Op Meds who have all rerolled.

A little bit of both?

It's more important to look at force/energy recovery as function compared to ability cost. So, for example, lets take each class' "main heal":

• Kolto Injection/Underworld Medicine costs 25 energy. At 5 EPS, the healer recovers the cost of the ability in 5 seconds (at 6 EPS with stim boost, thus regen occurs in ~ 4s).
  • Dark Infusion/Deliverance costs 55 force. At 8 FPS, the healer recovers the cost of the ability in ~ 7 seconds (with talents the cost is 50.05, thus regen occurs in ~ 6 seconds) [yes, if anyone checks my math, I rounded up and down respectively]

So you can see, in exchange for having a smaller pool, the Operative/Scoundrel regenerates the energy s/he expends faster than the Sorcerer/Sage.

However, this distinction falls flat once Sorcerer/Sage healers get Force Surge/Resplendence, allowing them to use a Force Cost neutral rotation (when done properly).

This is where the real issue begins - because the Sorcerer/Sage energy neutral rotation puts out more healing than an Operative/Scoundrel doing the same.

The secondary effects just compound the problem: if the Sorcerer/Sage did more healing but the Operative/Scoundrel has all the utility, things would be more balanced; instead Sorcerer/Sage does more healing and has all the utility.

Oops.

Operative can cast X heal that costs 20 energy so it restores X/20 health per energy, since you recover 5 energy per sec, operative has X/4 healing per sec capacity. And then the same for sorc.

I guess I'm a little slow to this party.

I was trying to map out the combat numbers for you, but sithwarrior.com is down, so I can't get to any of the theorycrafting formulas, and working off tooltips just doesn't cut it.

Let's be honest here folks :

1- We have a crap healer in the name of Op Med

2- We have a decent healer called a Merc

3- We have a FOTM face-roll healer called a Sorc

Do you honestly think that BW will buff the other two classes to the Sorcs OP level ???.......

welcome to a Sorc world with a smattering of BHs for spice and Op Meds who have all rerolled.

Some of us Sorc would like to re-roll into something else. Some of us picked it as our first class, and got into it and realized they would rather shoot people, than have a stat stick. However those of us who have our reasons for wanting to re-roll out of Sorc, also have our reasons for not re-rolling.

and YES. We honestly hope that BioWare will BUFF the other 2 healer classes up to the level (with respect to the healing styles) of the Sorc. If we didn't, then why would we have such a huge compilation of fixes/requests?

For a quick one:

Sorc: Dark Infusion = 3,00 heal 3.0 sec cast > Cost 55 Force: Total Force 500

Op: Kolto Injection = 2,500 heal 2.5 sec cast > Cost 25 Energy: Total Energy 100

(assuming 0 points spent in trees)

Sorc: 3k heal for 55/500 force @ 8force/sec regen for 3sec cast= 31force spent for heal(6.2%total force spent for heal)

Op: 2.5k heal for 25/100 energy @ 6energy/sec regen 2.5 sec cast= 10energy spent for heal(10%total energy spent for heal)

In typical heal spec, Sorc force pool increases to 600-650 power, Op stays at 100, so sorc heal per total energy will drop. In general for all similar heals the sorc has better HPE than an Op. Also Op energy regen skill is on a 2min c/d where Sorc's is 8% returned with trait can be free if after a heal and no cooldown.

Energy and Mana styles of play should compliment one another. Unfortunately, the reality could not be further removed.

In theory, Mana users should be able to put out more sustained high HPS while being very fearful of going OOM and end up gimping themselves for the rest of the fight due to their limited tools for recovering spent mana. In contrast, Energy burst HPS should be lower and shorter, but once we reach 0, we're only out of the game for short periods.

The unfortunate reality is that Mana users rarely go OOM, so the trade-off is not a fair one. There are a few reasons for this. In PvE, a lot of the encounters have time based enrage mechanics - so long fights (where an Energy user should shine) are few and far between. In PvP, dying and gaps in combat are so frequent that Mana never has a chance to go low - and even if it does, Sorc's Lifetap and the game-wide Seethe ability make regenning a cinch. Combine that with a flat in-combat regen which does not punish burst healing, and you're left with a very, very powerful healer.

I may have oversimplified a few things, but that's the general gist of it.

You summed up the problem quite well, actually.

The Sage/Sorc model was clearly what they had in mind when designing the game.

Compare the polish on Sage/Sorc healing to the others. The complete lack of variation in Operative rotations, the huge animation delays on Troopers...far less polished than some of the beautiful animations the Sages get and the huge toolbox they come with.

Look at fight design. Hard Modes are all limited by fast enrage timers, which, as you point out, completely negates the limitation of a Force pool.

Extensive need for AoE healing, while putting caps on the AoE of 2/3 of the healer classes.

Alacrity on everything. Alacrity is great for Sages, their AoE, their fast and slow direct heals, and their channeled heal all benefit, with only shield and their HoT not getting anything from it. In addition, that channeled heal basically returns 8% of their Force when it crits, and while it is on a cooldown, getting it off faster means getting to another heal quicker, so their regen and HPS both scale well with crit and Alacrity.

Compare that to Commando/Merc. I won't fill this page with my analysis of how terrible Alacrity is for them, or how it is worse for Commandos due to imbalance in the Ammo/Heat "mirror." I have three long posts you can read here analyzing all of that. While I haven't (yet) done the same analysis for Operatives/Scoundrels, the similarities between the Energy mechanic and Ammo/Heat mean that they suffer the same increase in Effective Cost and decrease in stat scaling as Alacrity increases.

Despite all of the previous paragraph, healing gear is drenched in Alacrity. Why? Because it is good for healers (sic), which must be true because it is good for Sages and that's who healing is designed around.

Look also at their toolkit. Two heals, one fast and weak, one slow and strong, roughly same price, but lets them land an emergency heal if needed. A spammable shield, a channeled heal, a massive AoE, a HoT that applies an instant heal and then ticks (compare to SRMP which lacks the initial heal), and regen that scales with gear. Operatives get two heals they actually use, a HoT that requires maintenance for their resources but is otherwise weak and lacks an initial heal, a highly limited AoE, and a regen mechanic that scales with gear but also requires 2 GCDs worth of not moving to use, during which they can't heal. Commandos get 2 heals, an instant on cooldown, a truly terrible AoE that is most often used for the buffs it gives instead of AoE healing, a reactive heal, a shield that can be applied to up to 3 people under certain conditions (and we can't pick which 3), and a regen mechanic that gets worse with gear.

This isn't an issue of 3 classes one of whom is over-powered. The answer is not to nerf Sages/Sorcs.

This is an issue of 3 classes, 2 of whom weren't finished at launch. Fix them, don't break the one that works.