I spend more time fighting the targeting UI than I do fighting opponents

GreymaneAlpha

I don't know about you, but I can't tell you how many times I'm in a warzone and for some reason one or two people don't show up at all in my raid frames, forcing me to click on them to target them (Usually happens when the warzone bugs out and allows one team to have more than 8 people). Sometimes even when they are out in the open by themselves, I will click directly on them 5-10 times before it actually targets them. When playing a tank trying to guard swap, or as a healer trying to throw out a heal to save someone's life, this is incredibly frustrating.

Also sometimes if in a PUG it's hard to match someone to their raid frame with all the crazy titles and legacy names. Sometimes from a distance a player's title may look like their first name, creating extra time for me to go through the raid frames to figure out who they actually are. Not as big a deal when I run with premades, because I know everyone, but even in a premade there are going to be 4 puggers I may not know.

Same. It's really bad.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Effective targeting for healers is 'spoiled'? I thought a game was supposed to be enjoyable, not just tolerable.

You are supposed to play the game with your hands tied behind your backs, blindfolded sitting on a chair with a seat of nails.

I haven't seen the "people not appearing in raid frames" bug as much recently as I used to, at least.

Worse is that in Warzones, the healthbar doesnt get updated fast enough. So, as a healer you may end up healing someone who is at max heal in favor of someone who needs a health real bad.

There's no incoming heal indicator on the raid UI.

There's no agro indicator in the UI.

I strongly suggest they hire the grp of players who wrote the "grid" project in WoW and get some tips for them on how to make a raid UI for healers that doesnt suck.

Edited by Muskaan

I haven't seen the "people not appearing in raid frames" bug as much recently as I used to, at least.

I've seen it happen within my own group within the last few days. Have to click target the people I queued with. Verrrrry frustrating.

I've literally spent 15 seconds in a heroic quest as a healer trying to click on someone's companion. It's insanely difficult to get the cursor to click on them. I've found the only way to really do it is to click on their feet.

In the little character box for the person in your group, there is a smaller head just under their head that will show their companion. Click on the companion and press your heal hotkey. That's how I've been doing it, and it's been working just fine.

In the little character box for the person in your group, there is a smaller head just under their head that will show their companion. Click on the companion and press your heal hotkey. That's how I've been doing it, and it's been working just fine.

Most healers use raid frames for party healing also. and the Raid frames dont show player companions.

I place my healing abilities in the left bar and always use operation frames. I then moved said frames right in front of the bar and it's very easy to click the portrait and then click a heal. Works great for me.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I've never healed in a warzone. But I have no issues in FPs.

Edited by Galbatorrix

I place my healing abilities in the left bar and always use operation frames. I then moved said frames right in front of the bar and it's very easy to click the portrait and then click a heal. Works great for me.

Congratulations for not reading the thread.

Also, congratulations for being a clicker.

As a healer, you can target your party members by clicking their portrait in the party frame or their name on the raid frame. Problem I have with it is that there is no indication of who you have targeted on the party frames. That's an issue, but otherwise I haven't had a problem. People used to Healbot mods from WoW are a bit spoiled IMO.

You are not a serious healer or your focus is yourself. How can you say that to a healer/s who just want to make the best of their class by focusing their attention on healing, not on some UI crapola.

This is a legitimate issue that should have been addressed from the very launch. This reminds me of EQ when it first came out.

Edited by Strayjack

Especially as a healer, it is insanely difficult to target people that need heals. Since you can't click on nameplates (why?) and tab (or ctrl-tab for friendlies) is ridiculously unreliable and has the great habit of targeting people BEHIND YOU, it really seems like this game's PvP is as much about trying to target the right people as it is actually fighting.

And obviously, I would much prefer to actually play against opponents instead of fighting with the UI.

This game very, very badly needs an improved tab-target system (no, 'target nearest enemy' is not sufficient) and badly needs the ability to target people by health bars / nameplates.

I click all day long on the operations name plates in operations and pvp and it selects the person for me...then I hit a heal key....POW! HEALED! NO idea what you're doing wrong. Moreover, I use tab and ctr-atb as bound on my mouse and have no problem whatsoever targetting who I want that way either, altho that's always going to be slightly less efficnt if you end up cycling. There are also keybonds available for target nearest friendly/enemy as opopsed to just "next." "Target least health" is absolutely ridiculous request. Yes, addons gave people that in WoW and it was yet another crutch situation that has people forgetting how to walk by themselves and comlpaining that there's no crutches here. Why don't you just ask for them to program it so yuo don't have to target enyone and hit the 1 key to cast an ability that automatically targets the most appropriate player with the most appropriate heal spell and casts it for you?

I click all day long on the operations name plates in operations and pvp and it selects the person for me...then I hit a heal key....POW! HEALED! NO idea what you're doing wrong. Moreover, I use tab and ctr-atb as bound on my mouse and have no problem whatsoever targetting who I want that way either, altho that's always going to be slightly less efficnt if you end up cycling. There are also keybonds available for target nearest friendly/enemy as opopsed to just "next." "Target least health" is absolutely ridiculous request. Yes, addons gave people that in WoW and it was yet another crutch situation that has people forgetting how to walk by themselves and comlpaining that there's no crutches here. Why don't you just ask for them to program it so yuo don't have to target enyone and hit the 1 key to cast an ability that automatically targets the most appropriate player with the most appropriate heal spell and casts it for you?

Either you didn't read the thread at all, you did read the thread but didn't understand it, or you're just a troll. Where the hell did you see "target least health" mentioned? Also, at no point since Molten Core in Warcraft have you been able to target people with the least health automatically, no matter what macros or add-ons you used.

To refresh your mind, this thread is about three things: (a) the non-intuitive behavior of 'target next enemy', especially as compared to games where it's implemented correctly (Warcraft being the easiest example), (b) the difficulties in targeting people directly because of small hit boxes and an inability to target by nameplates / healthbars, and © various bugs relating to targeting (for example, friendly players not showing up in the Ops frames in warzones).

Edit: to partially alleviate your shameful levels of confusion: "nameplates" and "healthbars" refer to the nameplates and healthbars that hover just over characters heads, not to the Operations Unit Frame.

Edited by GreymaneAlpha

You are not a serious healer or your focus is yourself. How can you say that to a healer/s who just want to make the best of their class by focusing their attention on healing, not on some UI crapola.

This is a legitimate issue that should have been addressed from the very launch. This reminds me of EQ when it first came out.

I have a hard time even really remembering what the UI in EQ was when it first came out, other than "awful" (obviously).

But it's worth noting that, in everquest, at least they introduced UI customization fairly early =P

And macros, I think? I honestly can't remember.

I would say problems with the players. I've had no problems targeting and healing.

Ya I haven't in a 2 man heroic either. Buuuuuut in a 16 man operation or a full warzone it's beyond horrible. But thanks for your input as you have clearly not done either of these things if you have had no problem.

I think healing works really great when you've the Operation ally bars up instead of the normal party one.

Then you'll see how far away a target is from you, easy bars to click on, more easily see who you target and so on. You can choose how big the health bar should be, 50% on both of those looks great to me.

It's really useful if you're a healer.

At least healers can click Ops/Party frames to heal friendlies.

As a dps, while chasing someone, I have to try to target them. Movement while chasing is best done with the mouse, which makes clicking to target a moving enemy quite difficult to do at times.

When I press Tab to target the only enemy on my screen who is about 15 meters away and hit an ability, I shouldn't find myself Force Leaping to someone 25 meters away and 85 degrees to my left, OFF SCREEN.

Tab targetting should ONLY cycle between targets that are presently on the player's screen. If I'm not even looking at someone, why on earth would the game think I want to target them?

At least healers can click Ops/Party frames to heal friendlies.

As a dps, while chasing someone, I have to try to target them. Movement while chasing is best done with the mouse, which makes clicking to target a moving enemy quite difficult to do at times.

When I press Tab to target the only enemy on my screen who is about 15 meters away and hit an ability, I shouldn't find myself Force Leaping to someone 25 meters away and 85 degrees to my left, OFF SCREEN.

Tab targetting should ONLY cycle between targets that are presently on the player's screen. If I'm not even looking at someone, why on earth would the game think I want to target them?

An excellent example of the problems with tab-targeting in this game.

In WoW, you knew exactly which target tab would give you, because it intuitively targeted things that were directly in front of your character.

Honestly, I'm not even sure what the tab-target algorithm in this game is anymore. I used to think that it was "next closest enemy", but the more I pay attention to what I'm tabbing at, the less I think that's true either.

When in dungeons, and healing a group, there is no problem. Clicking the group portrait is 100% reliable for me.

When in PvP and trying to target my friend who is moving like crazy fighting three enemies, i have no chance of selecting him... That gets annoying...

Ya I haven't in a 2 man heroic either. Buuuuuut in a 16 man operation or a full warzone it's beyond horrible. But thanks for your input as you have clearly not done either of these things if you have had no problem.

Always a good laugh on the general discussion forums. Try reading some of the thread before endowing us with your wisdom.

Edited by Apocalypsezero

When in dungeons, and healing a group, there is no problem. Clicking the group portrait is 100% reliable for me.

When in PvP and trying to target my friend who is moving like crazy fighting three enemies, i have no chance of selecting him... That gets annoying...

"I'm gonna try to Rescue the Huttball carrier by pulling him up to this ledge where he can walk in and score! ...click...click...damnit...click...wrong target....click...damnit....aahhhhh he died =("

So to all the people who go "just click on your raid frames to heal" what exactly do you do in WZs when you get awesome bug when one of your team mates don't even show up on the raid frames?

I only PVP a few times a day but I see that bug pop up at least every few games, it's even more awesome as a healer when the person who's not showing up on your raid frames is the ball carrier 90% of the time too.