Space Missions and Ship Disappointment

AzfromAhazi

I've heard the "Don't like it? Then don't play it" line banded around in soooo many MMO's now, and it scares me just how shortsighted people can be.

Before people make insinuations about what they think people should do, I would suggest that those people think about what they are saying and how that can negatively impact not only their own experience of this product, but that of everyone else.

I agree, the "dont like it dont buy it" brigade are actually stopping progress through apathy.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am fed up with the lack of content and have actually become stuck at level 37 having done everything up to and inc Hoth, not heroics or pvp, it is simply not good enough.

So *HOW* can you be stuck at level 37?

After finishing Hoth its onto Belsavis and then Voss... am 48 and have only done probably half the bonus series quests as well on preceding planets - missed Alderaan, Nar Shadaa and Hoth.

Really you can't have done *everything* you seem to have missed large swathes of "normal" content.

I gave up on space missions once I unlocked the "new" missions you get around level 40-42. They are literally impossible for me to complete as I have rebound my controls and so I can't move the ship left and right using the keyboard to avoid incoming fire :mad:. It also massively dissapointing to find out that missiles aren't one shot kills at that level, they reload far too slowly to fire off your whole capacity. Once you are at that level it becomes obvious that space isn't a nice few side missions you can do for a bit of light relief. It's a soul destroying grind of the easy training wheels missions to get commendations to afford the extra equipment to make the final levels possible (providing you haven't unbound your otherwise useless turn left/right keys).

Yeah, because there are so many successfull MMOs out there that don't have repeating quest lines. Do you people even think before you type? Your arguement is invalid. Every MMO out there has quests you have to repeat on different toons right? Disagree with me, go ahead.

And really, if you want to help out, then stop complaining on the forums and use "/bug" in the game. Then go to the test server and level a toon. And above all else, this is just one of many mediums where you don't HAVE TO PLAY or PAY! It's not like this game is a rent or car payment. It's a video game. Sorry it didn't live up to where you were in WoW. WoW this, WoW that. This isn't Blizz and this game's only been out for 2 months. I mean, really? Someone needs to put things in perspective, I certainly have.

In TOR I am forced down a linear quest path. Unless I deliberately skip level appropriate content the first time through, the only unique content I'll get on a same faction alt is the class story line and maybe the starter planet depending on the alt's base class. The class story quests and starter planet quests account for a miniscule fraction of the total questing I'll do. In WoW, on the other hand, I have multiple level appropriate zones to choose from at any given time. I can level several alts with little quest overlap until I get into the 60's.

TOR would be a much better game with much better replayability if they'd taken this approach. If I had two or three planets to choose from at any give time I wouldn't be 4 levels away from inevitably canceling my subscription.

And really, if you want to help out, then stop complaining on the forums and use "/bug" in the game. Then go to the test server and level a toon.

I am sorry. Your argument failed right here.

First. Bioware does not pay me to test their product. I pay them to play a finished product. Something they have failed to deliver.

Why should anybody "test" their product w/o any compensation? Of any kind?

I work in the IT field. My experience and expertise isn't given away for free. Not even for friends or family. If they want to use my knowledge to improve their game. They can pay me for doing it. Otherwise. Sorry. I'll take my knowledge of Basic (yes, now shush), C, C+, C++, C#, Python and COBOL (again, shush... I used to work for a bank who's systems used it.), and keep it to myself.

If they want to hire me away from the company I work for, then they better expect to pay well for my expertise. Until then... I am unsatisfied with their half finished product. And I won't test it for them for free. I WILL however give them 6 months to a year to do some serious fixing of their product before making the final decision with my wallet.

~Saitada

Edited by Saitada

They could at least let you finish the mission early if you complete all the objectives including the bonuses. Some of the missions I'm forced to snooze 2-3 minutes with nothing left to do.

It's called "terrible game design" and SWTOR is full of it.

IMHO I'd prefer if they simply removed the space crap all together... it's a slap in the fact for any non-retarded player (and even the fanbois).

SWG had 10 times better space combat and that's as old as the hills.

Last title from BW I'm ever paying money for.

8 days remaining on sub.

/spit

If you don't like the game they made, you know what you can do. They told you they were making a lot of story & voice acting. You didn't have to buy it.

yup, what he said ^^.

so where is the suprise ? If your still here and miserable...who's fault is that?

I've heard the "Don't like it? Then don't play it" line banded around in soooo many MMO's now, .....

probably becasue it's the best observation and suggestion to the nonsense.

the suggestion still stands true and solid.

you dont like? theres the door.......>

I find the space missions an amusing diversion. They're a mini game. A palate cleanser. I'm amazed how people get so worked up over a minor part of the game.

When Blizzard launches pet battles, watch as their community tears it apart.

Their is a foundation there. They can modify it later if they want. But lets be realistic here. If they said they were going to re-do the space missions, half of you would be moaning that they should be focusing on something else.

IMHO I'd prefer if they simply removed the space crap all together... it's a slap in the fact for any non-retarded player (and even the fanbois).

8 days remaining on sub.

/spit

I really don't think anyone will miss you.

Finally got to level 28 and unlocked two more space missions only to find out one is a duplicate of an earlier mission except this time the fighters have shields. Really Bioware? I can look past the "on-rails" aspect for the time being...cause eventually you'll make things right (wont you...?) but talk about a slap in the face. Theres another group of missions to unlovk yet I think...what next, a redux of Archenar?

This is why the space combat missions are effectively capped.

All they can do is add more enemies in numbers and make them more difficult and make the missions longer.

All three of those things have effective caps to fun and functional game-play.

By the time you're at the L50 missions you're (IMO) close to what the system can handle (without a serious redesign - at which point they may as well simply re-do the whole thing with off the rails flight).

probably becasue it's the best observation and suggestion to the nonsense.

the suggestion still stands true and solid.

you dont like? theres the door.......>

There's a level of expectation when a title like this comes out, especially when the developers are screaming "Best game evahhhhhh!"

When I buy a book, I expect a good story.

When I buy a game, I expect good gameplay.

There are crappy books out there, there are crappy games out there.

This was supposed to be good story AND good game... I was like... SWEET!!

At no point did the developers say "hey guys, whoa have we got a great story for you, but holy crap does the rest of the game suck"

Therefore I feel let down. The story doesn't even equate to anything. All story choices are meaningless and lead to the same place. Even good/evil points are completely meaningless.

So with pointless story in terms of how it affects your character since nothing about your character is changed at level 50 by anything you decided in the first 49 levels of your journey... what exactly is the point of this so-called 'wonderful story'?

...and the rest of the game still stinks.

/poop on game

Yeah, because there are so many successfull MMOs out there that don't have repeating quest lines. Do you people even think before you type? Your arguement is invalid. Every MMO out there has quests you have to repeat on different toons right? Disagree with me, go ahead.

Every MMORPG I've ever played has given you different options to level Alts through.

You may come back at to the same path at points, but there were always 2 or 3 options for you to level through.

SWTOR is the first one (going way back to 1998) where there is a strict 1 road path.

I understand why SWTOR had to do this (the massive resource-hog nature of voicing quests), but it's still a retrograde step.

Personally I think they should put in optional zones WITHOUT VOICE ACTING, giving players a different path, and without the massive resource issue of voicing quests (they could voice them later if they really wanted too).

Although that's a bit OT for this thread.

8 days remaining on sub.

/spit

I have to agree with you bud, very dissapointing.... This game is classed as an MMO.. Sadly, it's only loosely based upon an MMO. it's KOTOR with some online bits....

But it has great potential... just stick with it, or do like me play somat else until the s h i t s fixed... give it 6 months to a year

Every MMORPG I've ever played has given you different options to level Alts through.

You may come back at to the same path at points, but there were always 2 or 3 options for you to level through.

SWTOR is the first one (going way back to 1998) where there is a strict 1 road path.

I understand why SWTOR had to do this (the massive resource-hog nature of voicing quests), but it's still a retrograde step.

Personally I think they should put in optional zones WITHOUT VOICE ACTING, giving players a different path, and without the massive resource issue of voicing quests (they could voice them later if they really wanted too).

Although that's a bit OT for this thread.

You nailed it when you said other MMORPGs, they are true NON-LINEAR MMOs.. nuff said

I have to agree with you bud, very dissapointing.... This game is classed as an MMO.. Sadly, it's only loosely based upon an MMO. it's KOTOR with some online bits....

But it has great potential... just stick with it, or do like me play somat else until the s h i t s fixed... give it 6 months to a year

It's got till GW2 comes out, then all these servers will be empty.

/poop on SWTOR

It's got till GW2 comes out, then all these servers will be empty.

/poop on SWTOR

I didn't give it that long, I'm on Rift... and to be honest, I'm loving it. But yeah, I'm not holding my breath, but GW2 for me too.

I was so excited I wet myself, when they announced TOR. I was thinking SWG++ but, like so many times before, so let down.

TOR is a great single player game, but that's it.. and that's what they should have plugged it as.... KOTOR 3 with some online bits... a bit like BF3 I suppose??

I didn't give it that long, I'm on Rift... and to be honest, I'm loving it. But yeah, I'm not holding my breath, but GW2 for me too.

I was so excited I wet myself, when they announced TOR. I was thinking SWG++ but, like so many times before, so let down.

TOR is a great single player game, but that's it.. and that's what they should have plugged it as.... KOTOR 3 with some online bits... a bit like BF3 I suppose??

Ya, I unsubbed from this mess a while ago. Will play FFXIII-2 for a while, hopefully GW2 release date gets announced soon. I think there's an announcement coming on Feb 15th, so looking forward to that.

I find the space missions an amusing diversion. They're a mini game. A palate cleanser. I'm amazed how people get so worked up over a minor part of the game.

When Blizzard launches pet battles, watch as their community tears it apart.

The difference is, If you think of a fantasy world, pet battles are not a big part of it. If you think of the Star Wars Universe, space battles are a big part of it.

So of course people expect exciting space battles from a sci-fi (or sci-fantasy) game.

They could at least let you finish the mission early if you complete all the objectives including the bonuses. Some of the missions I'm forced to snooze 2-3 minutes with nothing left to do.

Well, the missions are basicly objective + survival based (I seem to recall atleast a couple of the missions mentioning something about surviving until lightspeed) so technically you haven't completed the mission until the timer runs out, but it would be nice if atleast some missions could complete "early" if you have done all the objectives + optional/bonus objectives.

In TOR I am forced down a linear quest path. Unless I deliberately skip level appropriate content the first time through, the only unique content I'll get on a same faction alt is the class story line and maybe the starter planet depending on the alt's base class. The class story quests and starter planet quests account for a miniscule fraction of the total questing I'll do. In WoW, on the other hand, I have multiple level appropriate zones to choose from at any given time. I can level several alts with little quest overlap until I get into the 60's.

TOR would be a much better game with much better replayability if they'd taken this approach. If I had two or three planets to choose from at any give time I wouldn't be 4 levels away from inevitably canceling my subscription.

Gee wiz, level 60 is where BC content starts, then everyone does the exact same quests from there until endgame. Even then, I've leveled so many toons in WoW that I really have no idea what you are talking about with "level appropriate zones", they're ALL that way. You HAVE to level with the same quests as you do with any other class/race in the same faction! Not really sure what your point is here, you are totally wrong.

I am sorry. Your argument failed right here.

First. Bioware does not pay me to test their product. I pay them to play a finished product. Something they have failed to deliver.

Why should anybody "test" their product w/o any compensation? Of any kind?

I work in the IT field. My experience and expertise isn't given away for free. Not even for friends or family. If they want to use my knowledge to improve their game. They can pay me for doing it. Otherwise. Sorry. I'll take my knowledge of Basic (yes, now shush), C, C+, C++, C#, Python and COBOL (again, shush... I used to work for a bank who's systems used it.), and keep it to myself.

If they want to hire me away from the company I work for, then they better expect to pay well for my expertise. Until then... I am unsatisfied with their half finished product. And I won't test it for them for free. I WILL however give them 6 months to a year to do some serious fixing of their product before making the final decision with my wallet.

~Saitada

I think that most people would rather not read complaints on the forums from people that could better use their time by complaining to the right people in the game.

Gratz working in IT, I get my BS in a few months for that field.

Bioware missed a real opportunity to provide a different experience from the typical WoW MMO with space. The on-rail shooter crap is an embarrassment.

Yeah I've read they are overhauling it. Doesn't mean squat until it's out. You can't play vaporware.