The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Thermal Detonator vs Exsplosive Dart

HollowPoint

I recently rolled a Pyrotech Powertech as an alt to my Sith Assassin. Im looking ahead here, and I was looking at Thermal Detonator. It shares a 15 second cooldown with Exsplosive Dart. Which does everyone prefer? Is it worth the talent point? Or should I spend it elsewhere?

I recently rolled a Pyrotech Powertech as an alt to my Sith Assassin. Im looking ahead here, and I was looking at Thermal Detonator. It shares a 15 second cooldown with Exsplosive Dart. Which does everyone prefer? Is it worth the talent point? Or should I spend it elsewhere?

Perspective: When I can get a 5K+ Explosive Dart I'll spec out of TD...

Only time I use ED is before of DFA a pack of something, pve or pvp for added damage.

Edited by exphryl

TD is extremely powerful in pvp, hits harder than dart and the delay is actually a benefit as you can time your RS to hit as the bombs goes off making for one extremely hard hitting attack. Edited by Sowwy

5K TD + 5K RS + 2K CGC Crit = lol 12k Damage in "technically" 1 GCD

Those numbers probably require buff stacking and full surge bonus against a 0 expertise target, so it's basically not possible anymore, also this will only happen once in a blue moon, since the chances for 4 simultaneous crits is rather low.

Also, stop nerf herding please, look at the poor operatives over there in the corner... =)

on topic: in pvp always use td. Even if you can hit 3 people with ed, resist the urge and throw a td. Chances are people will move out of the area anyway and even if they don't, random splash damage on colleterals does not help your team kill faster; focusing down your actual target does.

I still occasionally use ed in pve however, mainly because the knockdown is cool and will enable railshots on everything gault didn't hit with his acid grenade.

Edited by Korevas

Those numbers probably require buff stacking and full surge bonus against a 0 expertise target, so it's basically not possible anymore, also this will only happen once in a blue moon, since the chances for 4 simultaneous crits is rather low.

Well, on average on champion equipped targets you can still do 10 burst damage easily

Explosive Fuels > Relic > Adrenal > Incendiary Missile > TD > Railshot > Rocket Punch.

With the Stacking of buffs you can pull that off fairly often:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngz-e621nsY

not personally a fan because I like Dart's utility in objective pvp to disrupt multiple attackers, which is very important because all of our other AOE requires a significant investment.

DOA and flamethrower are both channels, flame sweep is prohibitive on heat. Good Old Splodey Dart is a reliable go to for cap blocking.

not personally a fan because I like Dart's utility in objective pvp to disrupt multiple attackers, which is very important because all of our other AOE requires a significant investment.

DOA and flamethrower are both channels, flame sweep is prohibitive on heat. Good Old Splodey Dart is a reliable go to for cap blocking.

yeah...interrupting with an ability that only goes off after a couple of seconds compared to instants(flame sweep) is the smart way to go ... not to mention the fact it has 15sec cooldown ...

Do you know an ability called Missile Blast? You got it at level 1 its a 30m AoE and works wonders for preventing caps.

NEVER use a delayed damage skill for interrupting a cap.

yeah...interrupting with an ability that only goes off after a couple of seconds compared to instants(flame sweep) is the smart way to go ... not to mention the fact it has 15sec cooldown ...

Missile blast > Flame Sweep

Same AoE (5m)

Same Heat Cost (25)

Same Cooldown (zero)

BUT 30m range :)

I spec'd out of TD to try a different build. I miss the hell out of it. Spec'ing back tonight!

In PvE I find myself not using a lot in favor of better heat management.

In PvP though it's invaluable since if I want somebody dead, they are dead.

Missile blast > Flame Sweep

Same AoE (5m)

Same Heat Cost (25)

Same Cooldown (zero)

BUT 30m range :)

honestly, as far as preventing caps i dont need AoE unless its really close.

i just dot 'em up with incendiary missile and dont have to worry about caps for a while...

missile blast is terrible as far as Heat goes and when playing pyro spec the last thing i need is a mediocre ability that generates 25 heat.

besides, range is not an issue since im up close in most cases.

Thermal Detonator is single target, and Explosive Dart is AoE, as stated before.

Worth it. You can bomb someone from 30 meters away, and he will look at the red, flashing effect when he runs away, knowing it will deal rather high damage.

Useful for stronger mobs too.

I still use Explosive Dart for the pve mobs, but in pvp, when I see large number of players clustered together, I prefer to use Death from Above if it's not on cooldown.

I skipped it personally my build is 2/10/29 i felt that the real burst damage came from railshot and opted to bolster it as much as possible. With pyro particle accelerator rail shot procs a rather large amount of times within the 15 seconds it takes for td to cool down. while td is a significant damage upgrade and replacement to explosive dart i feel the damage out put from specing hard into rail shot is better burst... you can still time it with ED to catch healers off guard. specing is all about trade offs