Bounty Hunters, did Mako affect your dark/light decision?

Niknidhogg

I am 33 mercenary now.

I am -350 dark side "nutral"

Generally speaking if they are cool with me, I Am cool with them and let them live.

If they are a jerk to me then I have no problem blasting them.

There was maybe 1 guy I shot in the face for "double bounty bonus" because it was too funny not to. And it was for extra credits.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been leveling my powertech on and off when i get to depressed from the ilum lagfest, and i have to admit, i don't think Mako gets what being a bounty hunter means.

She is in this to get revenge and hunt bounty's yet she gets her knickers in a twist when i do things that is COMPLETELY within my rights to do according to the rules of the great hunt, and doing the "nicer" option would be plain out stupid.

I don't kill people needlessly either, it just feels a little weird that Mako is in this line of work and gets all silly over having to kill someone.

While i have already started on bashing Mako:

how can she be this nice, having been brought up as a street urchin? How did she survive on the streets if she was constantly super-nice? And if she was not nice, why can't i have some of that ruthlessness she must have had to survive on the smuggler moon as a orphaned kid?

I kinda dislike Mako, and her affection points for me ain't all that high, might be because i like telling her to shut up.

She doesn't like when you act like an assassin. If your contract is to kill, she doesn't mind that you do it, but if you have the option to capture the target alive, you'll lose some 15 or 30 affection for killing it.

Follow the contracts, act like a professional and you'll have no problems with her. Or with any of the companions for that matter, except for Skadge.

Edited by Excidium

Im not sure how many times my decisions have cost me -150 pts with Mako, and who cares? She does what I tell her to do, when I tell her to do it. If she doesn't like it, she can get in the galley and make me a turkey pot pie. If that's too much to ask of her, I'm sure the airlock will change her tune. The day she starts paying for the ship or raising me some little bounty hunters is the day she gets an opinion. Until then, she's lucky she can heal or she wouldn't leave the ship at all.

Dark side + Mako = one pissed off companion.

The only time I can recall when dark side option and Mako were aligned was when you had an option to do a dark side decision dealing with a Republican aligned character.

Otherwise Mako is dang near a saint and almost universally sides with light.

I got Mako up to 10k, but I am not going to lie I had to buy A LOT of gifts to get to that point.

Had I to do it all over again, I would probably switch to the light side even though that can cause issues with your groups in running some of the flashpoints.

Oddly though the BH mirror (trooper) has a much easier time keeping their starter companion happy. I have unfortunately forgot his name but he is a strait meat and potatoes kind of guy. Get the mission, don't ask questions, and get out of the quest conversation as quickly as possible and you get affection from the guy. Drag the conversation out and you almost guaranteed to lose some. Light and Dark don't even play into the equation most of the time.

When I played that class back in BETA, I swear I was already half way to maxed affection with him and hadn't even reach level 30 yet.

Im not sure how many times my decisions have cost me -150 pts with Mako, and who cares? She does what I tell her to do, when I tell her to do it. If she doesn't like it, she can get in the galley and make me a turkey pot pie. If that's too much to ask of her, I'm sure the airlock will change her tune. The day she starts paying for the ship or raising me some little bounty hunters is the day she gets an opinion. Until then, she's lucky she can heal or she wouldn't leave the ship at all.

LOL

I think you maybe a little confused. Vette is the slave companion. Mako is there on her own free will. Piss her off enough and she will just shack up with Torian. And under your own roof no less.

And to throw salt into the would she will go skiny dipping with the jawa.

my SW was darkside. so i decided to go neutral for my BH, neutral seems a better fit anyway. a bounty hunter is not evil. its just the pursuit of credits can get a bit dirty sometimes.

just as an afterthought i'm going to go light for my IA and back to dark for my SI. and companions make no difference to this plan

I went light, that is how I roll. Plugging the cyborg's oil pan was a bonus.

Seriously though the dark choices in the game are Hannibal Lecter meets Jason level of homicidal. Who is going to hire a BH that would kill his clienet for pocket change?

This... I mean it seems like many of the DS types are viewing the hunter more as an assassin. There is a very distinct difference between the two and killing targets without reason is the sign of a sloppy unprofessional hunter. There has been a some times I've gone dark and Mako approved too. I do think the BJ dialog options at times are some what limiting so I'm picking LS more then I'd like, there need to be more neutral options.

This being said, I have to say I find it very annoying the someone that likes "making money" usually has no reaction to related dialog choices.

Edited by MartyrLXXVII

Dark side + Mako = one pissed off companion.

The only time I can recall when dark side option and Mako were aligned was when you had an option to do a dark side decision dealing with a Republican aligned character.

There are a few here and there. Usually if someone is a total ***** to you/her, and the dark side option is to kill them, she'll happily go along with it. Mako can be quite the bloodthirsty little girl when she's mad. :)

There's a scene on Hoth where you're down in a cave beneath the ice with volcanic fissures, and the guy you're after (once you beat him) shoots the controls for the force fields, saying "If I die, at least you'll go with me, ha!" The dark side option is to kick him off the platform into the lava, yelling something about "hoping he can swim" after him. 50 dark side points, and +15 affection with Mako, who says "He deserved that." :)

Otherwise Mako is dang near a saint and almost universally sides with light.

She's a fairly nice girl, but has a temper. If someone pisses her off, she has no problems with seeing that person suffer. Sometimes painfully.

I got Mako up to 10k, but I am not going to lie I had to buy A LOT of gifts to get to that point.

I think she's at around 5000 with me right now, and I'm dark-2 (I hover around there, since my BH isn't a TOTAL flaming axe-murdering psycho), I think I bought her one gift to see how much it'd get her (96 or so).

Had I to do it all over again, I would probably switch to the light side even though that can cause issues with your groups in running some of the flashpoints.

Oddly though the BH mirror (trooper) has a much easier time keeping their starter companion happy. I have unfortunately forgot his name but he is a strait meat and potatoes kind of guy. Get the mission, don't ask questions, and get out of the quest conversation as quickly as possible and you get affection from the guy. Drag the conversation out and you almost guaranteed to lose some. Light and Dark don't even play into the equation most of the time.

When I played that class back in BETA, I swear I was already half way to maxed affection with him and hadn't even reach level 30 yet.

Yeah, going light side definitely makes her happier overall. But going dark (as long as you're not moustache-twirlingly always pick the murderous jerk option) doesn't mean she'll DISLIKE you.

That being said, my powertech started out kind of ruthless and callous, but mellowed after hanging around with Mako for a while, and now does pick options that she thinks would make her happy. My mercenary, on the other hand (the one that's dark-2) might hesitate for a moment before pulling the trigger on someone, and think "Mako's not gonna like this..." but she won't avoid doing it JUST because Mako won't like it.

I've been playing a LS BH and will admit that Mako had some influence on my earlier decisions. My problem isn't the personality they've given her, it's that it doesn't evolve with the story. I'm on Belsavis right now with a 10000000 credit bounty on my head issued by the Republic and when I trash talk the Republic accepting a quest I get the -2 rebuke from her.

I just wanted to shout "Look lady! Don't for one second think this bounty on my head doesn't extend to the crew as accessories too." And wished for a second BH so I could Punish her. *SLAP*

Instead, she wants me to be strictly professional and not take it personally that I now have every BH in the galaxy looking for me and whole planets lining up to cash in on me because I did my job. I'm not a bad person but I take offense when someone threatens my life and lively-hood, and by extension hers... "So deal Miss Huggybear." :cool:

That and the Gault intro irk me a bit, and I'll probably hate Skadge more later too. BLizz is at least fun. Otherwise, I like Mako the most of all my characters' companion love interests... to the point that I think she's too good for my BH. Vette's fun but too much 'little sister', LS Jaesa took a vow of chastity, DS Jaesa is scary, and Ashara is schizo, but great in the sack. I'm looking forward to running the rest and comparing notes.

With all that said, you must accept that at the very least Mako's story is complete and reasonable for her signing on to be with you and sticking around no matter your alignment. For the most part her personality suits her and her position. She's the only companion I have thus far in the game that makes absolute sense for her devotion. Most of the rest I don't understand why they don't abandon ship, kill me in my sleep, mutiny or shoot me in the back on the battlefield at some time or another. "Oh, here. Take this trinket." "Ooh! Me love me long time!" Huh?

I actually went slightly darkside toward the end of the game, but was neutral throughout most of the story. Mako definitely impacted a lot of my decisions.

One point in case would be the final mission on Hutta when you are getting the hutt token to enter the great hunt. You use a Republic Scientist with a price on her head to lure out the trandoshan who possesses the token; if it were not for Mako being there, I would have just perforated the scientist and turned her bounty in instead of letting her go. It wasn't really because of a guilt trip, but because she made me realize how selfish the act was in that we already had what we came for. Other parts in the game, she did not really sway me as much because I started using

Torian Cadera

a lot more than her. This was due mostly to the Mandolorian part of the story being my favorite part.

Edited by GKIOI

not at all. she's a silly little hypocrite. for instance, after murdering several people, for no reason at all, she was appalled at my actions. i then gave her some cool technological gift and all was forgotten.

the fact is mako is a shallow little climber. if i want to level with someone who is authentic, i'll pick skadge. at least he appreciates me for who i am. :(

Fail, all companions will completely forget any choice you made that gave you negative affection from them once you turn around and feed them gifts. And I'm not even going to get started on that gutless chakaar Skadge. His only use to me is as scavenging *****.

Mako totally affected my D/L decisions, because I decided early on that ICly my character liked her, and after Braden got nuked that she decided to take up the role of Mako's "big sis". Still ended up with quite a few darkside points though, but came down pretty far on the light end of the spectrum anyway.

I'm playing a total Dark Side Powertech. The only thing about the relationship with Mako that has changed is I do give her verbal praise now instead of only ridiculing her, telling her to shut up etc. My BH is a total ******* to everyone else at all times unless I'm trying to nail the female NPC.

I am LS due to the fact my Powertech is honorable, nothing to do with just killing for the sake of it and stuff.

Example, the first part of the Taris quest line, you find your target and many civillians, LS option: let the civs go. DS option: kill them all.

I went LS as I have found my mark, why would I butcher everyone else?

i only have mako right now. but i hear she is the best all the way. which is such a shame coz she is so depressing. she always complains about everywhere we go. and she is so self obsessed if she is not complaining about something she is let me know she has an implant or had a bad up bringing on the streets.

"news flash mako, its all about me its my story not yours"

"aww i'm only messing with you, don't sulk i need healing"

Fail, all companions will completely forget any choice you made that gave you negative affection from them once you turn around and feed them gifts.

Which is why I mostly ignore what might win/lose me affection with companions and do whatever I damn well please :D I have occasionally dumped companions if I know I'm about to lose a lot of influence for something (for example, the whopping -300 or so hit you can take from Gault on Alderaan).

If the system were more like DA2 where the bulk of your companions' opinions came from your actions, I might care more, but as it is, I just buy up everyone's affection to max with gifts anyway. Unless it's Skadge, he's not worth my hard-earned credits.

Mako's hands down my least favorite starting companion, so not really. I'm barely light 1, but have a bunch of DS points. I've been playing him pretty hard and professional, but I draw the line on killing a few types. I dont kill "civillians", people who ended up on a hit list through no real fault or intent of their own. But if you're in a military or criminal organization, even if its a non-combat position (like Nemro's former accountant) you knew the risks going in, I say you're fair game.

I think my real dislike of her comes from her always carrying on about Brayden or whatever the hell the dude we met for like a cutscene at level 2 is (but not the alien dude... racist Mako?). If Bioware actually wanted us to care about him, they should have let him stick around more. I was more attached to the starting mentor in the sith warrior story, and I actually KILLED him.

Yes Mako fouled my evil plans....damned women!!

I had full intentions of shooting or shanking every option I could until that lil tramp showed up...

Uuugh I fold so easy for the chics...***...

I just had a talk with her on the ship last night and the scene went DARK....I about fell out of my chair.....I felt like I needed to call my RL better half and confess lol...

So in the end I am neutral with 800 into dark and 200 to light (approx)

I went 100% dark side on my powertech, you still get affection pretty easy with her. You just lose some for the really evil things you can do, but you mostly gain or get -1 for most evil decisions. Light side definitely has it easier though, my LS healer merc already has more affection with her at L32 than my evil powertech does at 44. Getting smacked with those neg 30's and the occasional neg 120 adds up I guess.

Im a Dark Side Bounty Hunter with 10,000 affection on Mako. The key was just sending her away when you found out you lose 160+ affection per convo. I made her craft something then canceled it after.

Torian is the real pain to gain affection with as dark side. Not enough dark side fight starting options.

It seems a larger proportion of Bounty Hunters are going light side compared to other Imperial classes; I had rolled one with the intention of being fully dark side but once the story got rolling and I met Mako I switched because it seemed a better fit (I did NOT have this problem with Vette...). Anyone else roll light side on a BH to get wit dat?

she was at first, but then i decided i'd just buy her off with gifts after i did a dark side choice on alderaan, she said 'eww do we really need the credits?' and i replied 'credits dont grow on trees, mako. they grow on nobles'