Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

EA stocks plummetting (Hit below 52 week low today!!)

MadCuzBad

Meh, wow has already done most of the work of growing the genre.

When wow released, EQ was the #1 western MMORPG (lineage and lineage 2 were bigger but have a very different market). Wow eclipsed EQ in ~3-4 months. Tor is a long way from eclipsing wow in 3 months.

EQ1 had about 450 000 subscribers when WoW and EQ2 launched and it lost some of it's subscribers also to EQ2 - it's also easier to eclipse a game with 450 000 subscribers than one with 10.2 million subscribers...

Edited by Rouge

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people really this dumb?

Stocks go up and down all the time for ALL companies for all sorts of reasons, I like how some of these Einsteins seem to think EA stock is tied exclusively to SWTOR lol..

Right now with the issues in Greece almost all stocks today are dropping... Please stop making posts like this, I'm embarrassed for you..

But.. but.. I want SWTOR to fail soooo bad because I'm pissed about something and Bioware need to know how i feel so they can fix it just for me so that I can enjoy it so I say the sky is falling and then they'll know that everyone hates the game because I hate it but still play it and therefore everyone else must hate it so please Bioware make the game how I want it for my enjoyment or I'll lie and say I'm quitting because without my $15 they will go bankrupt even though I really won't quit and you won't go bankrupt but I want you to but not really because I love playing this game that I hate so I come to forums to make them think the game is failing even though they have all the numbers and know how the game is fairing therefore any impression I try to make on them is pointless as they already know if it's failing or not... <inhale>

Who said it was?

I feel very embarrassed for you! Now that's out of the way.

By saying,"I hope things change here" on a SWTOR forum, you are implicitly implying that the cause of the EA stock fluctuation is based on this game. You imply this game negatively affected the stock drop.

Your post history can be seen by everyone! Remember that. Next time you say, "I hope things change here" for the better, all one has to do is read a few of your posts to learn how you bash this game.

The stocl market has an inherent risk. Factors such as rate changes, money supply, changes in tax law, general economic forecasts/investor confidence, and geopolitical issues, just to name a few, all effect EAs stock price and the company has NO controll over it.

Then, there are other things such as stock splits that change prices which don't mean a company is failing.

Do I need to mention the long line of other products offered by EA?

LOL.

Edited by ShattrdSoldier

But.. but.. I want SWTOR to fail soooo bad because I'm pissed about something and Bioware need to know how i feel so they can fix it just for me so that I can enjoy it so I say the sky is falling and then they'll know that everyone hates the game because I hate it but still play it and therefore everyone else must hate it so please Bioware make the game how I want it for my enjoyment or I'll lie and say I'm quitting because without my $15 they will go bankrupt even though I really won't quit and you won't go bankrupt but I want you to but not really because I love playing this game that I hate so I come to forums to make them think the game is failing even though they have all the numbers and know how the game is fairing therefore any impression I try to make on them is pointless as they already know if it's failing or not... <inhale>

/comfort

RELEVANT CHART

You see that blue line underperforming the other two starting mid-December? That started a couple days ahead of SWTOR's launch.

Please don't scream "MACRO MACRO!!" b/c you occasionally watch bloomberg, or have the wsj open. Greece does not have a larger impact on EA than your average S&P 500 co. You can't attribute a macro event to a company specific underperformance in this case.

There's actually an OBSERVABLE TREND of underperformance compared to both the S&P and ATVI.

So yes, investors are a little less optimistic on SWTOR than before, but that doesn't mean the game is a fail.

[edit sp]

Edited by Impulsev

The reason the stock dropped is because the business climate for January was much lower for all games and consoles (except Xbox) than in December. This was no surprise--everyone's done Christmas shopping by the end of December.

It has far more to do with the business cycle and the fact that no major releases came out in January than any kind of failure on EA's part.

EQ1 had about 450 000 subscribers when WoW and EQ2 launched and it lost some of it's subscribers also to EQ2 - it's also easier to eclipse a game with 450 000 subscribers than one with 10.2 million subscribers...
irrelevant.

when wow came onto the market, the largest western mmo had 450k subscribers and had just made a big deal about having 100k simultaneous players logged on a not that long before.

WoW more than quadrupled that in the first year, and it has continued to blow the mmorpg market up. It's directly responsible for the fact that so many more people play MMORPGS now than they used to. It paved the way for all of the more recent MMOS.

The fact that ToR sold 2 million copies and has 1.7 million subscribers is, in a lot of ways, due to the success that wow had. The bottom like is that fact that TOR had more sales and subscriptions after a month than WoW isn't actually all that impressive.

if you really want to compare the 2 launches... you need to look at what market share they had one month after launch. That's a lot more telling number than absolute subscriptions.

Edited by ferroz

Wow!!

The stock crept below its 52 week low today.

This is not what investors had hoped to see on the heels of the biggest game release of the year.

Not good, hope things change here.

http://investor.ea.com/stockquote.cfm

In the stock is stable (view the stock by year not by month). Majority of stocks appear to have make drastic/sudden changes when viewed in the short term. EA does not even consider Swtor, "there biggest game release". Most of there market profits are focused towards pumping out mass produced garbage for consoles.

Are people really this dumb?

Stocks go up and down all the time for ALL companies for all sorts of reasons, I like how some of these Einsteins seem to think EA stock is tied exclusively to SWTOR lol..

Right now with the issues in Greece almost all stocks today are dropping... Please stop making posts like this, I'm embarrassed for you..

Hitting the 52 week low IS a bad sign, but I don't think the cause has been correctly identified by the OP.

Markets in general are on a downward track right now, due to the current international crisis, as you correctly note.

Two weeks ago we had posts like this one.

Then last week the stock went up for a bit when the 1.7 million number was announced and people were like "See you were wrong..."

Now it is going back down, and people are again saying "Oh noes its SWTORs fault!!!".

Reality:

1) Stocks go up and down for all kinds of reasons.

2) SWTOR's success will be proven over several months or years, not weeks.

Edited by Drallbait

Wonder if this (stocks plummeting) is a reason the CFO is leaving?!? :eek: Typically when the s**t hits the fan specific execs will leave the company in order to try and avoid being associated with a troubled company.

This is not huge or anything but hopefully our gaming companies continue to do well so we can continue gaming!!! Was there a large sell off of stocks from EA execs?

It is hilarious that we always see the same type of threads in every MMO forums. This being one of them...lol. :rolleyes:

Edited by AlphaBraddox

Wonder if this (stocks plummeting) is a reason the CFO is leaving?!? :eek: Typically when the s**t hits the fan specific execs will leave the company in order to try and avoid being associated with a troubled company.

This is not huge or anything but hopefully our gaming companies continue to do well so we can continue gaming!!! Was there a large sell off of stocks from EA execs?

The entire industry traded down today. January sales were down accross the board. Nothing specific to EA here. It doesn't appear as though the CFO's resignation has had any impact yet; as the stock actually traded up towards the end of the day. Also hard to say exactly why he left, but he did leave for a position that is affording him the title of both CFO and COO; so not necessarily doomsday for EA.

The reason the stock dropped is because the business climate for January was much lower for all games and consoles (except Xbox) than in December. This was no surprise--everyone's done Christmas shopping by the end of December.

No. The stock dropped because the stock of all videogame and PC game companies dropped as the sale numbers overall for January were far worse than expected compared not to those of December, but of last January, in US. In 2011, January sales were 1 140 000 000 USD and this year 750 000 000 USD.

It is hilarious that we always see the same type of threads in every MMO forums. This being one of them...lol. :rolleyes:

It not good for anyone right now. The economy is really having a huge impact on the MMO industry as a whole. SWTOR is just the tip of the iceberg.

One of the first things people cut to survive and put food on the table is things like this that they do not need to pay for for survival.

It not good for anyone right now. The economy is really having a huge impact on the MMO industry as a whole. SWTOR is just the tip of the iceberg.

One of the first things people cut to survive and put food on the table is things like this that they do not need to pay for for survival.

Dude, you realize that Activision closed down 2.65% right? Why are you focusing on EA and SWTOR?