Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

I Think the Devs Screwed Up.

genesiser

Something isn't right about this...

Looking at the Corellia commendation mods, there are two mods that give the same stats. One is called Discipline Enhancement which gives 26 end, 13 pow, and 34 surge. The other is called Efficient Enhancement. This one gives 26 end, 13 pow, and 34 surge. I think they messed up and one is supposed to be power and crit and the other one is supposed to be power and surge.

They should fix that.

Something isn't right about this...

Looking at the Corellia commendation mods, there are two mods that give the same stats. One is called Discipline Enhancement which gives 26 end, 13 pow, and 34 surge. The other is called Efficient Enhancement. This one gives 26 end, 13 pow, and 34 surge. I think they messed up and one is supposed to be power and crit and the other one is supposed to be power and surge.

They should fix that.

That actually starts around Balmorra (maybe a little later). It's very annoying.

Then no doubt, you also know what triage is, and why this is unlikely to change in the next few months or possibly ever.

Time frame wasn't the discussion, level of effort was. If it had been a discussion of prioritization then yes, the response would have been different. Assessing the level of effort, what sort of FTE requirement it would be, to physically fix it is what I was addressing.

Credentials please, or else you're a guy in a mmo forum who says they are a dev.

Boy I've never seen that before... lol

Sorry but I don't owe you nor anyone else any credentials here. I gave you a logical explanation to your statement that it would be hard to fix such an item. I'm sorry you didn't like the response. I could just as easily ask for your credentials to take the other side of the argument but that wouldn't get either of us anything. You think it's hard, I know it's not. Differences of opinion is all.

Time frame wasn't the discussion, level of effort was. If it had been a discussion of prioritization then yes, the response would have been different. Assessing the level of effort, what sort of FTE requirement it would be, to physically fix it is what I was addressing.

Well, then I guess we'd both be right. The effort to fix this individual bug is certainly small.

But at the same time, its impact and severity are so low compared to other issues on their radar (plus competing allocations for the same itemization staff for new content in development) that it's just not likely to happen in the near future.

More likely they'd have some kind of item generator, maybe something like:

1. You give it a primary/secondary stat and a level and it adds appropriate points.

or

2. You give it a role or class and level and it generates an item with appropriate stats/points.

or

3. Something I haven't thought of in the last 35 seconds.

If they had to hand code every item in the game it'd be a bit of a beast to maintain.

Edited by jmastroi

There's almost definitely an item generator along the lines of makeNewItemFamily(pristat=str, secstat=crit, terstat=pow, suffix="of Battle").

But with the items already generated, you'd have to modify their database entries rather than create new ones so the existing ones update appropriately. Doing this for every individual bugged item is really time-consuming. Doing it with a mass search-and-replace is risky (could affect other items by mistake). Ignoring it doesn't fix the problem, but consumes no resources and incurs no additional risk. Pick your poison.

There's almost definitely an item generator along the lines of makeNewItemFamily(pristat=str, secstat=crit, terstat=pow, suffix="of Battle").

But with the items already generated, you'd have to modify their database entries rather than create new ones so the existing ones update appropriately. Doing this for every individual bugged item is really time-consuming. Doing it with a mass search-and-replace is risky (could affect other items by mistake). Ignoring it doesn't fix the problem, but consumes no resources and incurs no additional risk. Pick your poison.

Yup, I fully agree. On top of that there are much bigger fish to fry.

I am a developer. They're called variables. Not to hard to correct (if indeed it is a mistake).

Right, because there's never been a bug that's caused a variable to be pointed at the wrong thing...

And given the way allocation typically works in engines, well... It can get kind of complicated sometimes.

Edited by Inarai

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.