Assassin vs. Assassin Duels. Zybak vs. Jerk (Deception Spec)

Zybak

A tips and tricks video on how to beat Deception Assassins as a Deception Assassin. In the video I duel Jerk who is the best Assassin on our server, he has full Battlemaster gear and is nearly valor rank 80.

I would describe everything in text below but that would be pretty impossible to understand.

I rly enjoyed that video - but one stupid question:

isnt maul useful while having it's cost reduce/armor debuff up?

no as it dosent always activate probably and its difficult getting in the right position for it so its easier to thrash/voltic slash which can hit between (900-2000).

Edited by BIG_M

Very nice, as always! Have you tried MAdness out? The burst is a little bit lighter but I break 350k damage in most decent duration fights, it's also a lot of fun when your friend plays a pyro-merc and you can DoT up a healer in battlemaster gear and use one other attack and know that he's dead.

I will prolly end up trying Deception again when I get my BM lightsaber (2/3 and I still have my dailies up today *hopeful*) since it's a lot more weapon damagedependant than madness is (DOSE THRASH CRITS, mind you).

But yeah I would greatly like to see you playing deception to be reminded of just how badly I fail at placing death fields in combat and how much better at it most are than I.

Great video, thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Quick question - I have watched several streams of full BM assassins that are Deception spec, and do similar dps as you do.

I have about 75% champ gear now (valor rank 56) and haven't seem the same numbers as you guys throw out, with 3-5k crits on shock/discharge and about 2.5 with both hits from Voltaic.

For this reason, I spec more into a tank/hybrid build to compensate and it allows me to perform much better overall.

Is Deception really only viable in BM with higher crit/surge, or am I doing something wrong?

Thx

Great video, thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Quick question - I have watched several streams of full BM assassins that are Deception spec, and do similar dps as you do.

I have about 75% champ gear now (valor rank 56) and haven't seem the same numbers as you guys throw out, with 3-5k crits on shock/discharge and about 2.5 with both hits from Voltaic.

For this reason, I spec more into a tank/hybrid build to compensate and it allows me to perform much better overall.

Is Deception really only viable in BM with higher crit/surge, or am I doing something wrong?

Thx

I haven't messed much with my modes so I'm probably not doing the best damage myself

as for low damage I got a pretty big boost when I got my BM weapon

I didn't get through the entire video, but here's some constructive criticism on what I did see.

Gear: He has really bad Accuracy and replaced too much of it with Surge mods.

He's equipping 2 on-use relics. That's bad.

First Duel: Neither of you two used Blackout->Sap->Spike even though it's clearly better than stealthing for no reason to get the first Voltaic. Plus, you never used Blackout the entire fight (although you never needed it in the fight save for the beginning opener).

You never used Low Slash.

He didn't use Force Shroud.

Neither of you two used Maul even when the proc was up and you two had clear opportunities for it.

He took way too long to use Whirlwind after his Low Slash at the end. There's no reason for him to Low Slash, strafe left+right for a second, run back, and finally start casting Whirlwind.

Second Duel: He vanishes and then Lacerates you. What..?

He throws up Force Shroud way too earlier, when you didn't even have the 2 stacks for Shock nor 3-5 stacks for Discharge. Knowing when to use Force Shroud is absolutely vital.

Judging from that gameplay, he is not the best Assassin on your server, nor would I call him a good one to be honest. You seem better than him and react well to abilities, but there are quite a few more tactics you should incorporate as well He's only better than you at properly using Low Slash. But given that he can't doesn't know how to use Force Shroud at all, which would save him from ~5-8k HP, I would expect him to lose every duel.

To be honest, when someone Force Shrouds, you can simply Low Slash him, run 15m away while waiting for the buff to disappear, and then blow him up with Shock+Discharge. If he throws up Deflection at the same time or your Low Slash is deflected, just Vanish, CC and instead of Seethe-ing, Spike-> Shock+Discharge. The burst you get from that alone will be much much more than the health you heal from Seethe. The game-changers are getting off your Shock+Discharge and/or preventing theirs. That's really all there is to burst duels: getting your burst down or negating theirs.

In terms of any Assassin vs Assassin duel, Madness would probably be the best spec.

no as it dosent always activate probably and its difficult getting in the right position for it so its easier to thrash/voltic slash which can hit between (900-2000).

That is incorrect. I've always had it activate properly for me and it does much more damage than Voltaic for the same cost. And given the duration of out-of-stealth battles, you wouldn't have time to get 2 Shocks in. That is, two Voltaics + 1 Shock + 1 Discharge + 1-2 Mauls are all you get in the first part of the fight.

Edited by Alwaysx

That is incorrect. I've always had it activate properly for me and it does much more damage than Voltaic for the same cost. And given the duration of out-of-stealth battles, you wouldn't have time to get 2 Shocks in. That is, two Voltaics + 1 Shock + 1 Discharge + 1-2 Mauls are all you get in the first part of the fight.

How can you say it is incorrect when SO many ppl have had the exact same issue, you use Maul, your char starts off the animation and bends his arm backwards to stab it forward, but there he stops, wasting the time it took for that animation, giving you a GCD and no dmg done to your target.

I didn't get through the entire video, but here's some constructive criticism on what I did see.

Gear: He has really bad Accuracy and replaced too much of it with Surge mods.

He's equipping 2 on-use relics. That's bad.

First Duel: Neither of you two used Blackout->Sap->Spike even though it's clearly better than stealthing for no reason to get the first Voltaic. Plus, you never used Blackout the entire fight (although you never needed it in the fight save for the beginning opener).

You never used Low Slash.

He didn't use Force Shroud.

Neither of you two used Maul even when the proc was up and you two had clear opportunities for it.

He took way too long to use Whirlwind after his Low Slash at the end. There's no reason for him to Low Slash, strafe left+right for a second, run back, and finally start casting Whirlwind.

Second Duel: He vanishes and then Lacerates you. What..?

He throws up Force Shroud way too earlier, when you didn't even have the 2 stacks for Shock nor 3-5 stacks for Discharge. Knowing when to use Force Shroud is absolutely vital.

Judging from that gameplay, he is not the best Assassin on your server, nor would I call him a good one to be honest. You seem better than him and react well to abilities, but there are quite a few more tactics you should incorporate as well He's only better than you at properly using Low Slash. But given that he can't doesn't know how to use Force Shroud at all, which would save him from ~5-8k HP, I would expect him to lose every duel.

To be honest, when someone Force Shrouds, you can simply Low Slash him, run 15m away while waiting for the buff to disappear, and then blow him up with Shock+Discharge. If he throws up Deflection at the same time or your Low Slash is deflected, just Vanish, CC and instead of Seethe-ing, Spike-> Shock+Discharge. The burst you get from that alone will be much much more than the health you heal from Seethe. The game-changers are getting off your Shock+Discharge and/or preventing theirs. That's really all there is to burst duels: getting your burst down or negating theirs.

In terms of any Assassin vs Assassin duel, Madness would probably be the best spec.

Agreeing with this for the most part, save the maul bit, as I am too aware of the positioning bug.

The fights seemed sloppy.