The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can we get some explanation as to why Surge is set to be nerfed?

Destrucshot

A lot of people are confused or angry about it [who are aware of it], and I was wondering if we could get a breakdown from a Bioware dev as to why it will be nerfed, some of the reasoning behind it etc.

Is the metrics the reason as to why its getting nerfed or are players for some reason noticing its overall DPS advantage compared to every other stat? [i wasn't aware it was better than the other stats if it was, but would just like some info]

Power caps? Since when?

Its true, power dosnt. Accuracy, power, tech power, heal power, force power, surge, and primary stats (willpower/str/end etc) dont cap. However, surge is currently op. You can stack it to achieve very high crits, capable of pretty much one shotting some people in pvp. This rebalancing is to fix that aspect.

Its true, power dosnt. Accuracy, power, tech power, heal power, force power, surge, and primary stats (willpower/str/end etc) dont cap. However, surge is currently op. You can stack it to achieve very high crits, capable of pretty much one shotting some people in pvp. This rebalancing is to fix that aspect.

Oh i wasn't arguing that at all, I agree as it is right now its definately one of the more powerful stats to take. My dps set for my Jugg, Im sitting at 88% base critical multiplier, and Im reasonably sure with another set of mods from a Columi headpiece I could hit 90%. Not counting Surge Adrenal :D with that I can hit about 97% so yea I can actually understand why they are bringing it back down.

Yeah but if you do that wont you be gimping you crit? If you dont crit you dont surge.. i dunno just seems like this is the last thing BW need to be nerfing

You do realize that in a lot of cases you get crit with Surge Rating on gear a lot of the times? I have 30% not counting the IA buff, and thats been getting plenty of crits as is. You also need to factor certain talents and/specs giving passive or proc crit buffs too. Rage spec Juggs for example get an extra 15% to Vicious Strike and of course the infamous 100% guarenteed crit smash.

Has anyone even gotten to 100% surge? Im in full champ with some nice surge enhancements and hover around 81% + 33% crit

Yeah, you hover at 81% surge WITHOUT BUFFING. Then pop a surge adrenal, and a surge/crit relic. Now you are hovering at around 99% surge.

On many classes, getting that amount of surge with adrenal with certain abilities that already give high crit, is ridiculously OP.

Yeah, you hover at 81% surge WITHOUT BUFFING. Then pop a surge adrenal, and a surge/crit relic. Now you are hovering at around 99% surge.

On many classes, getting that amount of surge with adrenal with certain abilities that already give high crit, is ridiculously OP.

Ok i could understand if people were getting above 100% surge.. but in most games crit means double damage right? So people are stacking surge, buffing then using adrenals to get anywhere near 100% which is what crit should be. Once again PvP baddies will get their nerf i guess

inb4 'this is not other games though, this is swtor!'

Edited by sw_dragon

I have noticed that surge is quite powerful actually. It only takes like 5 or 6 points to increase crit damage by 1%.

At 400 surge your crits are doing 2.3x your original damage. If you have a 30% crit rate, that 400 extra surge gives you 40% more dps. There is no other stat that comes close to matching that!

(and thats not including all those talents the increase crit rate/create automatic crits on certain abilities)

I have noticed that surge is quite powerful actually. It only takes like 5 or 6 points to increase crit damage by 1%.

At 400 surge your crits are doing 2.3x your original damage. If you have a 30% crit rate, that 400 extra surge gives you 40% more dps. There is no other stat that comes close to matching that!

(and thats not including all those talents the increase crit rate/create automatic crits on certain abilities)

I think you are wrong, surge hardcappes at 2.0x original damage apperently.

Popping my 600 surge adrenal does not push me up to 100% increased damage.

Above 9x% it hits very heavy diminishing returns.

Ok i could understand if people were getting above 100% surge.. but in most games crit means double damage right? So people are stacking surge, buffing then using adrenals to get anywhere near 100% which is what crit should be. Once again PvP baddies will get their nerf i guess

inb4 'this is not other games though, this is swtor!'

Um... Your response makes no sense. The fact is that this ISN'T other games. the damage of all classes, all mobs, and all items are not balanced around 100% damage being crit, it's balanced on crit being a base of 50% more damage. So it makes absolutely no sense when you say what you "should" be hitting for.

Um... Your response makes no sense. The fact is that this ISN'T other games. the damage of all classes, all mobs, and all items are not balanced around 100% damage being crit, it's balanced on crit being a base of 50% more damage. So it makes absolutely no sense when you say what you "should" be hitting for.

Sigh, if its balanced and intended for 50% why not just remove surge altogether. Maybe then you'd stop crying

Edited by sw_dragon