Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Given the history of this company, I would not be surprised if the groundwork had already been laid before release, and someone was just waiting for the powers to give a thumb's up.

You have no idea how much I want that to be true. I have a couple of theories and I really want it to shake out like this. I have bucketloads of good will left over from Dragon Age 2 (<3) and I still think they're the ones I can trust to know better. Still, I'm anxious and have sort of let most of my characters anguish in limbo for the past couple of days. I need some info to hold on to.

Why is there a need to tell the game any such thing, beyond selecting the clearly marked conversational option?

Well, not that I'd personally complain, but having [flirt] pop up for every gender kind of implies that all characters are kind of bisexual, doesn't it?

If you're playing a character that you envision as having a certain sexuality, having "alternate sexuality" [flirt] options popping up wouldn't make sense, from that perspective. If my character (in my head) is clearly lesbian, for instance, why keep pushing [flirt with this guy] options at me? It's not that having it there offends me, it's simply that I'm never going to pick them ANYWAY, so why not just tell the game "don't bother showing them to me, I prefer other women"?

That's why I suggested that if they DID put some sort of choice, being able to set it at the outset would make it easy. Pick 'gay', and the game won't prompt you to flirt with women. Pick 'lesbian', and it won't prompt you to flirt with men. Pick 'bisexual', and everybody's fair game! Pick 'none', and it never offers you a [flirt] option at all.

So, hey, looks like the Q&A is late, but dev tracker says it's coming. Any last minute bets on what it will say in regards to our topic?

Hmm... My first pick is nothing.

I win! Yay!

Only not.

Okay, everybody - the new Q&A question thread is open. So if this is your number one question, let's roll in and ask again.

Also, remember other avenues of address to the Dev Team exist - email, snail mail, telephone, etc. Tuesday is Valentine's Day - a good day for romantic enquiries, I think.

I'll be rounding up those addresses &c. again and posting them later tonight.

Edited by Uluain

I win! Yay!

Only not.

Okay, everybody - the new Q&A question thread is open. So if this is your number one question, let's roll in and ask again.

Also, remember other avenues of address to the Dev Team exist - email, snail mail, telephone, etc. Tuesday is Valentine's Day - a good day for romantic enquiries, I think.

I'll be rounding up those addresses &c. again and posting them later tonight.

I shouldn't be this disappointed, and yet, here I am, completely crushed. Damn.

Maybe we should make up some slogans for Valentins's cards. I wonder if I can still send one from EU, probably not. There's always email I suppose.

Did you really think they were going to cover this in some slapped together vague 10 question thing?

As some general notice of where they are at?

Yeah, kinda. Even a vague "we're working on it, more news coming soon" would have been better than that SINGLE, FIVE-MONTH OLD QUOTE OF DOOM THAT-... :mad:

Deep breaths, deep breaths.

I'm sure... they're just... busy, or something. :confused:

Well, not that I'd personally complain, but having [flirt] pop up for every gender kind of implies that all characters are kind of bisexual, doesn't it?

I really don't think it implies that. My Smuggler also gets the option to ask for money every time he takes a mission, does that mean he's implied to be a greedy jerk if I don't actually play him that way? These are merely the options at our disposal, the directions we *can* take. The option to kill someone showing up every so often doesn't mean they're psychotic murderers either.

Besides, there are other reasons to flirt than actual orientation. I hear a lot of dark side players would want the option to basically flirt to get ahead, regardless of their character's orientation. I... really don't think that the options we *don't* take should mean anything to our characters.

One Q&A that I feel is sufficiently relevant to repost here is:

Seltron: What is the preferred method for providing feedback to the development team, and why (e.g. In-game tickets, forums, support@swtor.com)?

Stephen Reid: Every method of feedback you mention will ultimately make its way to the development team; we get feedback from everywhere (including off-site sources such as Twitter, Facebook, fansites, podcasts and the like). In-game metrics are also always being gathered and analyzed, so that essentially ‘passive feedback’ is given by players every time they log in. With that said, the Forums are always a good starting place for feedback; everything is read (even if we don’t always immediately respond to threads) and the Community team regularly reports out player concerns and thoughts. As always, the more constructive your feedback is, the better for the development team.

I'm highlighting the final part there, because it is key to getting the right kind of attention. I know many of us feel aggrieved. But simply requesting clarification will get that across. Remember to mention what you do enjoy in the game, and that SGR is something you look forward to.

You don't need to be a total brown-noser (<C2-N2> "Welcome back, master! If you detect the aroma of Alderaanian nectar, I have programmed the air circulators to simulate it. Enjoy!" </C2-N2>) but keeping the focus positive will help a lot in assuring the Devs consider our input rather than resent it.

Edited by Paralassa
off-topic discussion

Lots of things have been requested "since day 1". LGBT romance was one of them.

Technically, we've been waiting for further details since day -58. ;)

Don't begrudge the questions answered. Those are cleared from the table now. Ours moves up the queue by virtue of appearing in two consecutive Q&A threads.

Don't begrudge the questions answered. Those are cleared from the table now. Ours moves up the queue by virtue of appearing in two consecutive Q&A threads.
Wise words, and worth remembering. :D

Also, as of when I'm writing this, the thread for next week's Q&A is up to nine pages, and I've counted 10 or 11 people asking about SGRs. That's a pretty heavy percentage of people who made it a point to get their questions in right away. Keep it up, everyone - with every one of us who posts there and asks about this, we show BW how important an issue it is to us.

Also: let's keep things on topic, please - we're not in this thread to discuss what questions were answered. Thanks.

Edited by MusedMoose

Wise words, and worth remembering. :D

Also, as of when I'm writing this, the thread for next week's Q&A is up to nine pages, and I've counted 10 or 11 people asking about SGRs. That's a pretty heavy percentage of people who made it a point to get their questions in right away. Keep it up, everyone - with every one of us who posts there and asks about this, we show BW how important an issue it is to us.

They answered every frequently asked question in the Q&A thread except for obviously the SGRA one. Look back a few pages and we even noted the ones asked frequently, every one except ours was answered. Its pretty clear they have no intention of answering since I can only assume they have no intention of implementing this. Oh and the question about hoods.

Hope I'm wrong, good luck folks...

Edit: Actually looks like that got removed in one of our many purges. Sad that a small number of people are allowed to ruin things for others so often. Some one needs to get these mods a banhammer instead of just a delete button.

Edited by Nozybidaj

Just read the Q&A, and nothing about SGRAs, they answered some of the most mundane questions there, but nothing on the fourth most asked question in the Q&A thread, think I'll just move on to GW2.

I recommend making some noise on the way out, to whatever extend you can. I've yet to cancel a subscription for this, but if they've got a "Tell us why you're leaving form," please fill it out.

I recommend making some noise on the way out, to whatever extend you can. I've yet to cancel a subscription for this, but if they've got a "Tell us why you're leaving form," please fill it out.

They do have a form and I would wager feedback from them gets passed along with a lot higher priority than forum posts.

Hello,

If people decide to leave over this issue, I'd like to express that you will be missed. Some of the most intelligent and thoughtful people I've met are regular posters to this thread.

Agreed. Don't everyone leave! I'm too stubborn, and I don't want to be left here alone! :(

Edited by Raiellyn