Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think the ideal "toggle" would be something really simple, during chargen (or something you can set immediately after you get into the game, via little choice window that could pop up, using the little three-choice wheel.

Is your character:

A) Straight

B) Lesbian/Gay

C) Bisexual (+100 light side points, cause you're being open to everyone! *ahem*) :p

That would be the easiest one to implement, IMO. Plus it has the added advantage of using their 3-choice wheel graphic. :D

Hello,

You forgot asexual, for those who find all human intimacy abhorrent.

Edited by Paralassa
content

That would be the easiest one to implement, IMO.

No, it wouldn't. What would be easiest is using the same clearly marked conversational prompts already used with every other conversational response options in the game.

They don't let you not see the [Flirt] label on opposite gender flirts or companion romances so that you know where those are so you can avoid that content if you want to.

Edited by Paralassa
content

Personally, I think the ideal "toggle" would be something really simple, during chargen (or something you can set immediately after you get into the game, via little choice window that could pop up, using the little three-choice wheel.

Is your character:

A) Straight

B) Lesbian/Gay

C) Bisexual (+100 light side points, cause you're being open to everyone! *ahem*) :p

That would be the easiest one to implement, IMO. Plus it has the added advantage of using their 3-choice wheel graphic. :D

I don't know. See, the problem I have with creation-level toggles like that is... I don't actually know the character that well until I've played a few quests, gone through a few conversations, maybe even met their first companion and experienced their driving conflict.

I don't want a toggle, but if it were a condition of getting the content I want, I'd grudgingly take it over not having the content. But then a couple of simple checkboxes in the UI would still be the easiest and least intrusive way to implement it, as long as they're either completely off or completely on as default.

Also, there is no difference in Star Wars canon between a heterosexual romance or a homosexual romance, they are treated exactly the same, having an option to decide what sexuality your character is, would be against canon, as it has never even been mentioned before.

Do you have any sources for that, Rayla?

Not doubting you, of course. Just personally curious. Finding anything on the subject has proven quite difficult beyond passive mention of a few characters I've never heard of.

All I got is Juhani, really. :(

EDIT: Also, anyone else notice the scheduled maintenance for the 14th...? I know they usually do it on Tuesday, but still... something in my gut says something special might be in store. :D

... Or maybe not. :(

Edited by Raiellyn

Do you have any sources for that, Rayla?

Not doubting you, of course. Just personally curious. Finding anything on the subject has proven quite difficult beyond passive mention of a few characters I've never heard of.

All I got is Juhani, really. :(

That's just it, there are absolutely no canon sources with any mentions of the words 'straight' 'gay' 'heterosexual' etc...all there is, is relationships, some between the opposite gender and some between the same gender, that is it, but no mention of them being different has ever been made in the canon.

So, hey, looks like the Q&A is late, but dev tracker says it's coming. Any last minute bets on what it will say in regards to our topic?

Hmm... My first pick is nothing.

Second would be along the lines of: "We are still committed to this content, but are not at a stage of development where we are able to discuss specifics. We keep player input in mind, and will say more about this when we have more to say. Enjoy everything else SWTOR has to offer everyone. It's a big game!"

Which, for what it is worth, is exactly what I expect a Dev would have to say to this thread by way of clarification, if one were to post.

Edited by Uluain

That's just it, there are absolutely no canon sources with any mentions of the words 'straight' 'gay' 'heterosexual' etc...all there is, is relationships, some between the opposite gender and some between the same gender, that is it, but no mention of them being different has ever been made in the canon.

Hm. I guess that really does lend credence to the theory that "no gay in Star Wars" very well could have just meant the word itself not existing.

Either Fridge Logic or Brilliance. I'm not sure which. :confused:

Hi there!

We have recently removed or edited some posts in this thread.

Please remember that discussions concerning real life morality, politics or religion are considered inappropriate for the forums. You are welcome to discuss how same-sex relationships would affect gameplay/lore, and how you would like to see it implemented, but please try not to stray into arguments based on real life morality.

For anyone who wishes to discuss [Flirt] options, please do know that we also have a thread for that discussion in the Suggestion Box.

We thank you for your understanding. :)

Edited by Paralassa

Hm. I guess that really does lend credence to the theory that "no gay in Star Wars" very well could have just meant the word itself not existing.

Either Fridge Logic or Brilliance. I'm not sure which. :confused:

Actually that cluster ahem... of PR lash back was him stating 'There are no homosexuals in Star Wars.' meaning there aren't people who have relations with the same gender, this was proved wrong with their own famed Star Wars product, humorously.

I don't know. See, the problem I have with creation-level toggles like that is... I don't actually know the character that well until I've played a few quests, gone through a few conversations, maybe even met their first companion and experienced their driving conflict.

Well, that's true I suppose. I usually have a pretty solid idea of the character before I start out. But not everyone plays like me. :)

I don't want a toggle, but if it were a condition of getting the content I want, I'd grudgingly take it over not having the content. But then a couple of simple checkboxes in the UI would still be the easiest and least intrusive way to implement it, as long as they're either completely off or completely on as default.

It's not so much a "toggle" as a "choice". I mean, there has to be SOME way to tell the game that you prefer other women/men/both/none of the above.

The only other real option that I can see is the "token gay/lesbian" companions/NPCs sprinkled into the game. That doesn't change anything for the current content. I mean, I'm still not able to flirt with Juda, the twi'lek accountant for Nem'rho. Having some sort of "switch" I could flip to tell the game "I like other women!" would be nice, especially early on. A UI option would work too.

Personally I don't see any reason to have a "toggle". Make all (romanceable) companions bisexual, choose which companion you want to romance and be done with it.

I'd like that option, personally. Some people would still complain, of course. It would be tough to do in some cases, though, as there are some gender-specific statements within the various flirtation/romance options that would get sticky, such as them saying "You're a fascinating woman" -- that would have to be edited. Same with a bunch of others, etc.

Ah well.

Edited by Paralassa
content

Hmm... My first pick is nothing.

Second would be along the lines of: "We are still committed to this content, but are not at a stage of development where we are able to discuss specifics. We keep player input in mind, and will say more about this when we have more to say. Enjoy everything else SWTOR has to offer everyone. It's a big game!"

Which, for what it is worth, is exactly what I expect a Dev would have to say to this thread by way of clarification, if one were to post.

Sadly, I think this is about what we'll get too.:t_rolleyes:

Actually that cluster ahem... of PR lash back was him stating 'There are no homosexuals in Star Wars.' meaning there aren't people who have relations with the same gender, this was proved wrong with their own famed Star Wars product, humorously.

... Oh gods, I can only wonder how he might have looked, tasting his boot as it was firmly lodged in his own trachea. :eek:

Edited by Raiellyn

Well, that's true I suppose. I usually have a pretty solid idea of the character before I start out. But not everyone plays like me. :)

Eh, sometimes I know them beforehand, but by no means always. I had to actually restart my Sith Warrior twice because I realized I was playing them all wrong.

It's not so much a "toggle" as a "choice". I mean, there has to be SOME way to tell the game that you prefer other women/men/both/none of the above.

The only other real option that I can see is the "token gay/lesbian" companions/NPCs sprinkled into the game. That doesn't change anything for the current content. I mean, I'm still not able to flirt with Juda, the twi'lek accountant for Nem'rho. Having some sort of "switch" I could flip to tell the game "I like other women!" would be nice, especially early on. A UI option would work too.

See, I don't actually think we need to tell the game that. Just offer the option for each NPC that has it for both genders when it comes up, just as it is done now for opposite gender NPCs. We don't need a toggle to make the choices in a game based on making these conversational choices. Let the character's sexuality evolve from that free choice and really give them the chance to grow at every turn. Much more immersive in my opinion than putting a label on them from the start.

Edited by Suaine

Starting to wonder if the devs are hoping this dies off just so they don't have to add it. I would have imagined that it would already be in the works if not added to the game. Delaying updates on this and other features raises alot of questions about the future of this game to myself . Not sure how others feel on this issue. I for one welcome this feature. :D

Eh, sometimes I know them beforehand, but by no means always. I had to actually restart my Sith Warrior twice because I realized I was playing them all wrong.

I restarted my bounty hunter and my inquisitor, too, because I decided around 20th level I didn't like the personality I'd come up with based on the choices they were being given. :)

See, I don't actually think we need to tell the game that. Just offer the option for each NPC that has it for both genders when it comes up, just as it is done now for opposite gender NPCs. We don't need a toggle to make the choices in a game based on making these conversational choices. Let the character's sexuality evolve from that free choice and really give them the chance to grow at every turn. Much more immersive in my opinion than putting a label on them from the start.

That would work too. A lot of them would have to be tweaked a bit, of course, given the single-gender nature of the current [flirt] system. It would require a lot of rewriting, and editing voice tracks. Honestly, I'm not hopeful that they'll go back and do all that. :(

The option they'll most likely go with is just adding a gay/lesbian companion (might be just one of each for each faction, though that would be REALLY freaking lazy), and a few random conversation options here and there.

Unless, of course, they already have everything already done, and just have to turn it all on/insert the already-existing dialogue... *crosses fingers*

The option they'll most likely go with is just adding a gay/lesbian companion (might be just one of each for each faction, though that would be REALLY freaking lazy)

Aw, c'mon =) I wouldn't mind a sassy gay friend for my sniper =))

Edited by Paralassa
off-topic content

Unless, of course, they already have everything already done, and just have to turn it all on/insert the already-existing dialogue... *crosses fingers*

Hello,

Given the history of this company, I would not be surprised if the groundwork had already been laid before release, and someone was just waiting for the powers to give a thumb's up.

Edited by Shaddaq

Why is there a need to tell the game any such thing, beyond selecting the clearly marked conversational option?