The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What Effect Did Star Wars: The Old Republic’s Launch Have on World of Warcraft?

Chromiie

TOR could have killed WoW if they did it right. WoW is just asking to be kicked off the top but since no one has the testes to do something different they wont. Copying WoW no matter who does it will not beat WoW.

No, they couldnt. You dont wipe out 7 years of fanbase numbering around 10 million and loyalty with a brand new game. Its total insanity to even consider that to be in the realm of possibility.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You people...

Activision doesn't need any help from Electronic Arts to kill WoW.

It's funny you say that because people have said the same thing every time Blizzard released and expansion or made a major announcement about WoW. "Blizzard is going to kill WoW with <insert anything here>."

That has yet to happen.

Only hipsters and haters think pandas will kill WoW.

Well December also seen the launch of Dragon Soul raid, or was that late November?

Either way it doesn't really matter. I don't think anyone honestly thought SWTOR would put a dent in the armour of WoW when it launched. I figured around March, you'd start seeing people who are tired of doing easy mode raids come to SWTOR. But then I realized that SWTOR pretty much stole the current WoW raid model, which is completely horrible in the first place.

I don't understand how you look at the competition, make a list of everything that sucks and everything that's good. But yet put the wrong list in your game.

**** I never thought I'd rant on a BioWare game like this, I defended Dragon Age 2 to the haters for months until their same old ******** arguments got old. But now it seems I'm on the other side of the fence, ******** on this game.

No, they couldnt. You dont wipe out 7 years of fanbase numbering around 10 million and loyalty with a brand new game. Its total insanity to even consider that to be in the realm of possibility.

Most of the playerbase is not loyal. They are just there because everyone is there. Believe me if SWTOR was a game that people really liked then they would continue to take players away from wow each month. But your not going to do that by having a crappy version of the same game.

TOR vs. WoW is a moot argument, simply because TOR will never surpass what WoW has accomplished in almost 10 years. Not anytime soon. Probably not ever.

TOR vs. Blizzard's Titan MMORPG Project -- that's what people should be talking about. When TITAN goes live, TOR, if it's still as poorly optimized as it is now, will be buried. It'll be a fast fading memory.

I don't understand how you look at the competition, make a list of everything that sucks and everything that's good. But yet put the wrong list in your game.

They made a list of the features that would appeal to their intended target audience, that may not be you however.

Most of the playerbase is not loyal. They are just there because everyone is there. Believe me if SWTOR was a game that people really liked then they would continue to take players away from wow each month. But your not going to do that by having a crappy version of the same game.

Whatever, its totally unrealistic to think SWTOR can come out of the starting gate and beat WoW, I will also happily predict that no MMO will ever be as succesful as WoW was and this is from someone who dislikes WoW intently.

They made a list of the features that would appeal to their intended target audience, that may not be you however.

The problem with that is the intended targeted audience is already level 85 and has all this nice shiny epic gear so they dont want to give that up to have to relevel to get back to the top.

When your target audience is lazy then making them level 50 more levels wont get them in.

TOR vs. WoW is a moot argument, simply because TOR will never surpass what WoW has accomplished in almost 10 years. Not anytime soon. Probably not ever.

TOR vs. Blizzard's Titan MMORPG Project -- that's what people should be talking about. When TITAN goes live, TOR, if it's still as poorly optimized as it is now, will be buried. It'll be a fast fading memory.

I think GW2 and Tera will do that. Titan will be killing MMO's we arnt even discussing today.

In the long term, I don't think TOR will be anything more than a blip in MMO history. It did not innovate or do anything staggering. There have been bigger mmo launches since WoW (albeit mostly in Asia). Everyone bought into SWTOR for its promise and quickly saw it could not deliver and are going elsehwere. Rubalt Crystal is a grave yard, queues for pvp have gone from 10 minutes a few weeks go to over an hour lately, and those games insta end due to no republic.

Guilds are dying left and right and you are seeing fewer people to group with (at least in my experience).

That is putting false words in the mouth of the players base.

Unless you know every single player statements like that are yours not theirs. Remember 90% of forums are the haters of an game. Majority of people never even look at a games forums. Only reason I do it was a SysOP for years.

It's funny you say that because people have said the same thing every time Blizzard released and expansion or made a major announcement about WoW. "Blizzard is going to kill WoW with <insert anything here>."

That has yet to happen.

Only hipsters and haters think pandas will kill WoW.

It's really not pandas, the pandas are a great idea that the WoW fan base have wanted since the game launched. Actual fans, not the braying and neighing MMO hoppers that have clogged the internet with "LOLZ POKEYMANZ R IN WOWZ" posts.

It's the 1,800,000 subs they've shed in the last twelve months. It's really more about age and shrinking content patches coupled with a very crowded MMO market that is seeing more and more quality free to play efforts or conversions. Money just doesn't seem to be reinvested in WoW even remotely proportionally to what it brings in, at least that's how it looks to me. Admittedly I am a layman.

I will soften my statement with this: According to their CEO 1.5 million of the subs they have lost were in China, which while a huge market is not high profit for Blizzard since they have to deal with censors and other political nonsense that stalls content and drives up costs.

The problem with that is the intended targeted audience is already level 85 and has all this nice shiny epic gear so they dont want to give that up to have to relevel to get back to the top.

When your target audience is lazy then making them level 50 more levels wont get them in.

Why do you assume the WoW lv 85 crowd was their target? I think you're completely wrong actually, they've built this game to cater to the casual crowd first an foremost.

Also, werent you just claiming that the WoW playerbase is totally not loyal? So why would it matter if they had full epic gear?

Edited by MrTijger

What exactly is the intended audience of this game?

Let's just use some of the ideas that were in WoW that BioWare chose to use or not to use.

They chose to use a PvP stat but then decided not to put in a PvP ranking system. Therefor leaving the people who hit 50 first and grinded out all the PvP gear so much better equipped then new players who are just going to get destroyed. That was a horrible decision in WoW, even worse in this game.

Now take PvE, they took the horrible WoW raid model and made it worse, but yet didn't take the one thing WoW has actually done good in the last two years, the LFD system.

Those two(technically four) things, shows me that they're taking the wrong stuff and adding it the game.

I don't think I have to add the new flashing lights action bar they took from Warhammer. Why take anything from Warhammer?

For a whole two weeks.....It's like they think everyone cancelled purely because of TOR. My WoW sub didn't even end until the first week of January and I don't plan to re-sub to WoW.

They gotta worry about their own game before they start worrying about TOR. Let's recap here:

- MoP announcement

- 4th Qtr is typically strong with Christmas

- Annual Pass

- 4.3 released Nov 29

And they still netted a loss. With no new content planned till MoP, we'll see how much TOR affected WoW on the next quarterly report.

They had a good showing last quarter, for those reasons mentioned. Still, it was a very bad year for them...3 content patches last year, which is sad by itself, is more than I expect this year as I only expect MoP...should be a bloodbath in sub losses, especially now that there is serious competition for the first time in WoW history.

They had a good showing last quarter, for those reasons mentioned. Still, it was a very bad year for them...3 content patches last year, which is sad by itself, is more than I expect this year as I only expect MoP...should be a bloodbath in sub losses, especially now that there is serious competition for the first time in WoW history.

A bad year? You all need to go look at their earnings release. They had a record year and destroy EA when it comes to profit and cash flow.

Why do you assume the WoW lv 85 crowd was their target? I think you're completely wrong actually, they've built this game to cater to the casual crowd first an foremost.

Also, werent you just claiming that the WoW playerbase is totally not loyal? So why would it matter if they had full epic gear?

No, you're completely wrong. If anything this game does nothing at all to help casual players. Casuals level a lot slower then the average gamer, let alone the hardcore gamers. Casuals coming up now, have no one to group with, finding a flashpoint is hell because the fleets are full of 50s spamming for 50 dungeons.

If this game was catering to casuals first and foremost, then there would be a bloody LFF system.

My WoW resubbed in early December. I didn't cancel right away, because I wanted to see how SWTOR played out.

My WoW sub is now set to cancel in March.

Also, I imagine there are a lot of people who will keep their accounts for a while. And with no new content on the horizon, I can't see Blizz maintaining subs much longer, at least until Pandaland launches.

Zero I currently play both

The whole wow killer wait for gw2

Is just put out by the some of the more immature players in the community

The same thing has been vomited over and over with every games release

If anything pandas will affect subs in wow

Just my opinion but thatswhen I plan to quit anyway

I feel it's moving away fr what Warcraft is to me

Thank you for posting this information. Reading about ohter games is the very reason i pay my subscription here.

Go figure.

This infatuation some people have of constantly posting to talk about that crap WoW is just plain idiotic.

You have to wonder why the need to constantly talk about that game on this forum.

Zero I currently play both

The whole wow killer wait for gw2

Is just put out by the some of the more immature players in the community

The same thing has been vomited over and over with every games release

If anything pandas will affect subs in wow

Just my opinion but thatswhen I plan to quit anyway

I feel it's moving away fr what Warcraft is to me

Pandas is the main reason many people quit to begin with. It's more suited for pre-schoolers then adults with their pandas and pokeman battles.

The only players staying and wanting to play pandas are the ones who like that kiddie stuff.

I'm Subbed to WoW annual pass for D3 and to log on and chat with people i know who still play it. I have no intentions of playing the game ever again beyond that.

They had over 1 million Annual pass subs, so I can guarantee that padded the numbers, since their last count was 800,000 lost subs.

Also, While WoW lost 100,000 subs, Swtor gained 1.7 million.

Sup?

Edited by Dillingor