Can someone explain why there is so much running in this game?

Coranub

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But im thinking about when it comes to questing

Because all the quests are not right next to each other. I suppose some might like picking up a quest to kill 10 bunnies, and the 10 bunnies line up right next to the quest giver but I would not find that fun.

You are not running. You are holding down a button on your keyboard. The length of time you may have to do this is longer than in some games because Bioware went through the trouble to design something most real MMO players prioritize very highly: massive, interesting worlds to explore.

If you stop fixating on finishing chore A and getting to chore B you might enjoy what they put tons of time and effort into designing. Or you can just play the game like a robot with a checklist like most people. In any event, you are not "running".

Hi.

This is not a whine thread, im just trying to figure out why we run so much in this game. The Ship > airlocks bla bla has been discussed quite a few times. But im thinking about when it comes to questing. Atm im on Hoth.

Last night i spent 20 min in total just doing 1 quest. Mount up and drive X minutes, blast my way through a ton of mobs that i didnt need. Go into a new cave, kill even more mobs, then click on the quest item.

Then reverese the whole thing since my quick travel was on cooldown. Why do we at times spend most of the time getting to the quest, sometimes halfway across the map, far far into a cave to get an item?

Is the game designed this way with RP in mind? Like you go out on a grand adventure, into the wilds.

B) Or a massive massive timkesink? Im all for timesinks, ive played mmos for 10 years now, but this to me seems a bit too much.

Right, let's design the MMO for the 'instant gratification' generation:

You log in, you are in your ship's airlock, a holo comes up with a quests on offer to you, if you don't like it, you just click that little button saying 'Next planet' and get a new list.

You select your quest, you auto-spawn in the quest area (note: in 'Preferences' you can set whether you want to use content including pre-boss encounters or not, so yeah, you may spawn 10 steps away from the boss monster, past all mobs waiting on the way), you complete quest, you auto-spawn back in ship's airlock, holo pops up, gives you reward.

Another holo comes up offering you the option to buy/sell stuff (again, in 'Preferences' you have the option to auto-sell all grey-level stuff).

Rinse, repeat...

I think we have a winner right there, don't you agree? :rolleyes:

I'll give you a simple answer gauging from my MMO career.

More running around/loading translates to more time you must spend on the game. More time you spend on the game translates into more money in their pockets.

How do I know this? Because EVERY MMO does this at first until people complain about it enough to the point they will lose a good chunk of subs. Then they go ahead and reduce running/loading times to keep the people around.

This is becoming the norm in MMOs and if you disagree with me, I am sorry you can't see it the same way because to me it is painfully obvious.

Apparently, this is the ideal quest for some people:

NPC: "OMG!!! On eminute I was holding my kitten and the next I wasn't....I need you to get me back my kitten!!!!!"

You: "OK, where's your kitten ma'am?"

NPC: "It's at my feet rubbing it's head on my shins...can you pick it up and give it to me? I'll give you some monies and XP."

You: "Sure....*picks up kitten and hands it to mindless zombie retard woman*....here's your kitten ma'am."

NPC: "Thank you kind sir!!!! Here's 1M credits and 5 levels worth of XP."

You: DING!

Why do you have to run through any level in any game? Shooters? you have to run. Adventure games? have to run. Horror games? yep, you run from the start to the finish of the level.

If you make everything easy and fast to get to you have to either make the game world 10x the size or you dont...and let everyone blow through the content so fast you have zero chance of retaining people before they get bored and leave.

Ive said it at least 1000 in the past, if you think moving from one place to another is a boring time sink, most video games are not for you and you should move on to some other genre.

Apparently, this is the ideal quest for some people:

NPC: "OMG!!! On eminute I was holding my kitten and the next I wasn't....I need you to get me back my kitten!!!!!"

You: "OK, where's your kitten ma'am?"

NPC: "It's at my feet rubbing it's head on my shins...can you pick it up and give it to me? I'll give you some monies and XP."

You: "Sure....*picks up kitten and hands it to mindless zombie retard woman*....here's your kitten ma'am."

NPC: "Thank you kind sir!!!! Here's 1M credits and 5 levels worth of XP."

You: DING!

There was a quest chain in WoW on the Night Elf island off the coast of Feralas where you went back and forth between two people standing next to each other delivering messages.

You could stand near either one and finish the quest chain's last phase without moving.

There was a quest chain in WoW on the Night Elf island off the coast of Feralas where you went back and forth between two people standing next to each other delivering messages.

You could stand near either one and finish the quest chain's last phase without moving.

Haha...I played Horde, so I didn't get to see that, but that is still hilarious. The Blizz guys who designed that chain must've wet their pants laughing when they did it.

Hi.

This is not a whine thread, im just trying to figure out why we run so much in this game. The Ship > airlocks bla bla has been discussed quite a few times. But im thinking about when it comes to questing. Atm im on Hoth.

Last night i spent 20 min in total just doing 1 quest. Mount up and drive X minutes, blast my way through a ton of mobs that i didnt need. Go into a new cave, kill even more mobs, then click on the quest item.

Then reverese the whole thing since my quick travel was on cooldown. Why do we at times spend most of the time getting to the quest, sometimes halfway across the map, far far into a cave to get an item?

Is the game designed this way with RP in mind? Like you go out on a grand adventure, into the wilds.

B) Or a massive massive timkesink? Im all for timesinks, ive played mmos for 10 years now, but this to me seems a bit too much.

because they copied vanilla wow insted of wrath or cata

honestly the travel times are rather short. In fact they pretty much designed the game so that you can pick up all quests at a hub, then follow the red line finishing them all and then port back using your quick travel.

Sure they put in some unnecessary loading like orbital stations, but traveling around is rather quick.

what game having been playing, the swtor i been playing is this, grab two quests run across the map get on a lift, go through a elevator, then relise you went the wrong way, com back all the way go up a different lift and through an elevator, go to taxi, go through 4 loading screens turn in the quest, then go back and fouth between the two people because its not secure to use your holothingy. And then there are quest that have you go through multiple planets with the 7 minute loading screen at each planet.

Sprint at 15. Mount at 25.

I actually enjoy the travel time compared to other games I've played. You want a time sync, take a time machine back to World of Warcraft when it first launched. You'd get ONE quest that sent you to a location on the other side of the map, complete it, and get a follow up quest that sent you right back to that cave.

Nine times out of ten in SWTOR if you get an out of the way quest you have at least one other to do in that area. Couple that with bonus quest and you should be able to keep yourself busy long enough for your quick travel to cooldown.

It is all about strategy. I don't suffer very much at all from travel time.

This is a very funny phenomena. Less travel time and a more convenient travel system, and people will still complain about it. Once again, comparing this game to WoW, the quick travel system (Travel to any node you've activated) is so much more convenient than the original one hour hearth stone, and still far more convenient than the 30 minute hearth stone since you can actually pick where you want to go on a planet.

first wow has a 15 minute hearth (guild perk) second wow has flying mount and most of the quest chains have been redone so you don't have to go that far to finish and finally the map layouts of wow is waaaaaaaay better then swotr. I can't play swtor for more 10 minutes without getting frustrated. I been playing since dec 13th and i am only at level 22 but in wow I have 10 85, 7 80s and 10 60-75.

Edited by samht

I'm a roleplayer. If I am in no particular hurry, I walk.

I think some spaceports are a little too big for a place I can't drive through, especially as empty as they are. But in terms of the way planets are arranged, I don't feel that there is too much travel time. Between taxis and quick travel, I think they have it about right.

I enjoy the running and long travel time. The problem is the game is very static, nothing really happens while you run from spot to spot, although I enjoy the scenery on some planets. Hoth being the most scenic of them all.

I miss the good oldschool 2d rpgs where you see a world map and click to travel...and you can get random encounters! Random encounters are fun.

this is MMO gameplay.

i remember back when I started playing MMOs, in everquest I got a quest to kill this faction of guards. Well it happened that they were the same faction of guards from my starting point, so everytime I spawned I would get wtfpwned by level 50 guards and when you died you lost exp. The game literally gave me a quest that destroyed my first character.

consider yourself lucky! :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.