Defensive role vs focused leap for watchman?

RakeHoxven

The guide at the top chooses focused leap. I don't understand why. Is there some magic number of focus that sinking 2 points to get 1 focus out of something that has a 12s cooldown is going to make awesome?

Are there so few aoe damage in PVP that defensive role is useless? From what I see 30% damage reduction on Aoe's is pretty sweet. thoughts?

Definitely go with Defensive Roll if you're doing HM FPs or Ops. Too much AOE damage and having that 30% reduction is huuuuge. I used to have Focused Leap but that extra Focus really doesn't help all that much. You'll have plenty of Focus as Watchman so it's really not an issue, compared to 30% AOE damage reduction which will make fights way easier on both you and your healer(s).

Definitely go with Defensive Roll if you're doing HM FPs or Ops. Too much AOE damage and having that 30% reduction is huuuuge. I used to have Focused Leap but that extra Focus really doesn't help all that much. You'll have plenty of Focus as Watchman so it's really not an issue, compared to 30% AOE damage reduction which will make fights way easier on both you and your healer(s).

Q: What does HM FPs or Ops stand for? :/

and how is defensive role vs focused leap in PVP?

Edited by RakeHoxven

defensive roll is not worth the damage reduction for the watchman pve spec.

I thought the same thing going into lvl 45+ but the fact of the matter is this:

force leap= +3-------3 focus

Overload sabre=-3--0 focus

Zealous Strike=+6--6 focus

cauterize=-2---------4 focus

Left over 4 focus 4=/=5 No Merc slash

Merciless slash cost 5 focus

without the 2 points put into focused leap it messes up the whole rotation by forcing you to do 1 of the following:

a) wait for a burn tick to give you the focus

b) strike to gain 2 focus which puts you at 6 focus then after using merc slash you are now at 1 focus unable to do anything but strike/masters call.

Plus with close quarters you can utilize force leap into your rotation when your right next to the boss/players. thats 4 focus whenever you need it. i will agree that there is no problem generating focus as watchman just mainly your opener that gets tweaked without the points into focused leap.

i would honestly only get defensive roll for pvp since every bh/sorc constanly spam aoes in voidstar and on alderaan. iunno my 2 cents, your toon play it the way you want?

without the 2 points put into focused leap it messes up the whole rotation by forcing you to do 1 of the following:

b) strike to gain 2 focus which puts you at 6 focus then after using merc slash you are now at 1 focus unable to do anything but strike/masters call.

Plus with close quarters you can utilize force leap into your rotation when your right next to the boss/players. thats 4 focus whenever you need it. i will agree that there is no problem generating focus as watchman just mainly your opener that gets tweaked without the points into focused leap.

i would honestly only get defensive roll for pvp since every bh/sorc constanly spam aoes in voidstar and on alderaan. iunno my 2 cents, your toon play it the way you want?

I am more concerned with PVP than PVE. In PVP the aoe damage reduction seems to be awesome although the reason I asked the question was to find out if not choosing focus leap messed up the rotation. It seems it does so I am going to have to go back to the drawing board to see what to do.

Ok I have analysed your rotation and I have a question.

Force leap +3 focus

Rebuke --- 0 focus spent

Zealous Strike=+6--6 focus | while doing these two things get hit once by an opponent

cauterize=-2---------4 focus | with Jedi Crusader which generates 1 focus by Rebuke

Left over 5 focus 5==5 Yes Merc slash

Merciless slash cost 5 focus solved

would this not work?

Am I wrong or, if they hit you once you get your 1 focus point, if they don't hit you once and you popped force leap, overloard saber, rebuke, zealous strike and cauterize then your winning anyway and it won't matter if you have to use a strike or another force leap.

Edited by RakeHoxven

I wouldn't take 2/2 close quarters in pvp, but that's personal taste (i take 1/2 in it, 5yds is enuff). Leap has to be used to anti-kite, interrupting with it is secondary.

For pve defensive roll may be better, but pvp no question focused leap. the focused leap + stagger + inflammation combo gives your initiation a lot of extra punch.

Edited by ShiroRX

Ok I have analysed your rotation and I have a question.

Force leap +3 focus

Rebuke --- 0 focus spent

Zealous Strike=+6--6 focus | while doing these two things get hit once by an opponent

cauterize=-2---------4 focus | with Jedi Crusader which generates 1 focus by Rebuke

Left over 5 focus 5==5 Yes Merc slash

Merciless slash cost 5 focus solved

would this not work?

Am I wrong or, if they hit you once you get your 1 focus point, if they don't hit you once and you popped force leap, overloard saber, rebuke, zealous strike and cauterize then your winning anyway and it won't matter if you have to use a strike or another force leap.

SO from 0 focus to start it helps. other than that, its only +1 focus every 12 seconds for 2 talent points. To me, since we are not all that durable, the 30% reduction of AOE is a much better use of those 2 points.

I go:

Leap

OS

ZS

MS

Caut

This applies Cauterize with the 3rd OS stack. Then Zen hits like a truck. Use slash to refresh the cauterize CD.