Star Wars: TOR - ?300? years before Anakin...this is my pet peeve...

Primalis

My pet peeve is...technology hasn't advanced...almost at all.

In our world, technology advances every two years...so don't you think that by the time Anakin is born, there would be insane weaponry?

Also...another peeve are laser weapons. Don't give me, "the weapons, i.e. blasters in Star Wars use plasma"...well, since Troopers can use Plasma, Ion and so on...you would think that firing them would create a stream of light instead of segments. Jeeze!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My theory is that the republic lives on the technology of other older civilization. They do not wish new technology that would make them obsolete. No wonder we never seen Gree and Rakata before, the Jedi do everything they can to erradicate them. Rakata have teleportation.

there could of been a Plateau, and dont compare our world with star wars. that ridiculous

But in any "realm", it's a base. Such as an alien world in OUR universe, their technology would keep advancing (since they can't be at a plateau if they keep probing our Hutts).

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....

There was a dark age...

Seriously look into how far the dark ages set humanity back in technology.

Considering how much knowledge the TOR era has already lost (they lost Typhon, a whole bloody planet ffs, and hove only recently rediscovered it)

Now imagine what happened to coruscant (massive damage, destruction, almost complete loss of jedi archives) happening everywhere in the galaxy over a couple hundred years of massive wars between, not just sith/rep but all other factions.

TOR is set in a period similar to the Dark Age, by the time anakin/luke come along they've effectively had ANOTHER dark age.

-Bemm

My personal theory is tha the Republic/Imperial War eventually leads to a collapse of civiliation similar to the fall of Rome. This not only causes the loss of a couple thousand years worth of advancement, it also slows the recovery for a while so that by the time of the "modern" Star Wars era the galaxy is just about where it was 3800 years previously.

*edit* - Also, what Bemm said!

Edited by Rilauven

Also...another peeve are laser weapons. Don't give me, "the weapons, i.e. blasters in Star Wars use plasma"...well, since Troopers can use Plasma, Ion and so on...you would think that firing them would create a stream of light instead of segments. Jeeze!

The shots are pulses or bursts not streams. Same as if you turn your flash light off and and one.

In our world, technology advances every two years...so don't you think that by the time Anakin is born, there would be insane weaponry?

This is a technological plateau. There are times when technological advancement comes to a standstill, either because innovation is not happening or simply because it cannot be improved further.

There's only so many ways to revolutionize the starship. Instead of huge revolutions, technology is improved. Ships get faster and sleeker, blasters get more compact and powerful, droids get smarter (There is a protocol droid in-game that boasts of having over 600 languages as opposed to C-3PO's 6 million)

On the other hand, right after this period or so, come the Republics Dark Ages. There is not much detail on them, but it can be assumed that it was similar to the one we had in the middle ages, which science and technology dissappearing.

We're spoiled by living in a world where innovation happens every day. Don't forget we've been using swords from cavemen days to the civil war with just improvements to the base design.

Thats basically it. The blasters are plasma rifles. Globs and "bolts" of plasma held together by an electromagnetic field. They are not lasers per say.

Lasers are just continuious streams of light. Lasers cannot be broken down into parts. Many ship cannons are lasers (the ones that fire continuous beams that is.)

The universe keeps repeating the same cycle over and over. The tech rises and falls over and over as the light and dark battle each other. You can't finish building the house of cards because one side or the others knocks them down.

Read the lore. Everything's been done before, better, by previous people.

You're better off rediscovering their lost technology than trying to reinvent the wheel.

So the entire Star Wars universe has adopted a scavenger mentality.

Add to this the wealth and tech-level disparity between worlds, multiplied by a million, and you wind up with the vast unwashed majority holding down everyone else...and people being mostly okay with that because they can recover old/lost crap occasionally which is better.

LOL how did you get 7300 years. It is little less than 3000 years till he is born. And we all knew, coming in, this game was set well before the Star Wars movies.

I left out the extra 0 by accident and there's two question marks because I wasn't sure of the exact years but around 3000.

So, you're wishing that since we are 3000(Yeah, it is 3000) years before Skywalker, that they should have taken our speeders, ships, and all that stuff away, and basically stuffed us all in the galactic stone-age? Because you realize, they can't do anything to change the tech that is already in the movies or the books; they're only option would have been to downgrade everything in the game.

Yeah, that would have went over well. Have you actually met this community?

On a similar note, for an idle animation we twirl a lightsaber. Light doesn't have a weight to it and some hilts look almost as big around as a thermos bottle... not exactly an ideal shape for twirling.

And another thing..

Real life laser weaponry is *boring*. Laser beams are completely invisible and totally silent. I actually have a pseudo-scientific explanation for why blasters work the way they do, but I'll save that for another time. Point is, Blasters are much cooler than RL lasers.

However, it does surprise me that no one's tried to make a laser sniper rifle yet, no noise, and invisible shots.. Maybe they have and it's just terribly classified?

Edited by Rilauven

On a similar note, for an idle animation we twirl a lightsaber. Light doesn't have a weight to it and some hilts look almost as big around as a thermos bottle... not exactly an ideal shape for twirling.

Lore wise, its a jedi or siths preference on the hilt. Its the only part with weight so maybe some like it that way?

And another thing..

Real life laser weaponry is *boring*. Laser beams are completely invisible and totally silent. I actually have a pseudo-scientific explanation for why blasters work the way they do, but I'll save that for another time. Point is, Blasters are much cooler than RL lasers.

However, it does surprise me that no one's tried to make a laser sniper rifle yet, no noise, and invisible shots.. Maybe they have and it's just terribly classified?

I remember seeing someone created laser weaponry but it could only be done with 500mW 1064nm GREEN laser.

Is time linear?

On a serious note, I find the number of carbonite frozen mooks inhabiting the game a bit lore bending. I also wonder why all the architecture is the same no matter what planet I am on, there is nothing distinct on either side of the realm divide.