Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?

JovethGonzalez

What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2  

3,457 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2

• They're good!
    • They're terrible!
    • I don't care either way.

it's definitely better than the current one for sure but i still think this one :

is more informative and easier to read (imo)

Thats interesting... has the clock style radial fade with the timer. And I think that works fine, when you only have a few abilities on CD like that video shows.

However, as a Marauder I often have 10+ abilities on cooldown. Having countdown timers on all of them would be a bit too overwhelming if you ask me.

Maybe the clock style radial fade default, with an option to show timers?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion: Provide options! The UI is uncustomizable by add-ons. The least you could do is prove as many options as possible for your own UI. Why should the minority not get to keep these new flashy ones? I ask this even tho I voted that I dislike them.

PS. PLEASE implement the option to disable smart cam >_> It's soo frustrating not being able to cast area spells on someone behind you while running...

How about a following poll: What do you think of cooldowns before patch 1.1:

- The cooldown was working properly. Nothing wrong with it. No need to even touch it.

- The cooldown was so uncool. I prefer something shiny... maybe to see colours of the icons all the time... or some flashy, wash-out, disco effect. Or Justin Bieber's face on every icon.

- What's the UI?

Edited by vandana_

it's definitely better than the current one for sure but i still think this one :

is more informative and easier to read (imo)

Color scheme on it is bad. Orange/yellow numbers over orange/yellow icons? Bad.

But the basic idea...yes, it's good.

The current global cooldown UI makes it impossible to see any of the other visual indicators while it is executing. In case you didn't guess, that is a fatal flaw.

The biggest problem with the last iteration of the UI was that you couldn't really tell if a long cooldown ability was ready to be used or only nearly ready to be used unless you moused over the icon for the additional information. That problem seems to have been "fixed" only to be replaced by a new one.

The current global cooldown UI makes it impossible to see any of the other visual indicators while it is executing. In case you didn't guess, that is a fatal flaw.

The biggest problem with the last iteration of the UI was that you couldn't really tell if a long cooldown ability was ready to be used or only nearly ready to be used unless you moused over the icon for the additional information. That problem seems to have been "fixed" only to be replaced by a new one.

This! Now it is hard to see any ability. It is nice that at a glance I can see my long CD's, but having the entire UI go white is really annoying. I say just black it out and add a number countdown. Keep it simple.

Listen, I've said from day one of getting my hands on the game in testing that they should release the code and let the public do what they want with it. It's good on several levels because:

1. It takes the headache off of them. They can always say "go find a mod"
  2. It fulfills some people's desire of a meta game within the game (both on creation, and implementation)
  3. It helps the economy by having more visited sites.

Unfortunately, I have a strange, yet familiar, feeling that 3) is the actual real burr under the saddle, and with LA, not EA. Because they would now have their precious IP on sites that are non profit, or profit making money that they wouldn't see their cut on. Offense #1 in the eyes of LA, or more to the point, LE.

And that may be why that they are in this type of mess right now: because they are being forced to with the IP.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but SWG did not have mods to the UI? It was customizable in it's out of the box form, but you didn't have add ons and mods for it, iirc.

Edited by Scar

Didn't noticed any changes until a friend told me... I'm not watching the hotbars much as I remember what I have under which hotkey and also remember how long the cooldown is.

It's looks strange but doesn't bother me at all. I've seen worse... I'd suggest allowing ppl to fully mod their UI so they can mess it up as they wish. It might save Bioware some time :D

(Very little feedback was received on the PTS Forum before the patch was deployed to the live servers, otherwise changes may have been made before the patch's deployment.)

Last time i checked you still had to level a character up on PTS. If you really want more player feedback then fix this NOW. Not many people want to level another character up on PTS.

Oh and the new UI is pretty bad.

Edited by Amirae

I would like to see a color change on but remember this is still a real time game and we want to know the exact instant that things are off Cooldown. If that means we don't get cool animations, that's fine but a color variance between the GCD and abilities on use cooldown would be beneficial.

I dislike the new UI a lot.

There are two main problems:

One: The Global Cooldown causes ALL abilities to flash when it's up. This means all of your bars will flash white every 1.5 seconds.

Two: Using ANY ability causes all of your abilities to go grey and they don't fade back in until after the Global Cooldown is up. This is a huge problem when you're a class that spams abilities every second, such as a Jedi Sentinel. Basically, the abilities never light back up and are in a constant state of fading grey and flashing. Because of this, you can't tell what abilities are ready, whether or not you're in range, or if you have enough resources to use the ability.

I play a Sentinel and it is almost impossible to determine when abilities are off cooldown. During my hardmode raid last night, my entire UI was constantly greyed out or flashing, which made it impossible to determine which abilities could be activated.

I could not monitor Merciless Slash, Cauterize, Overload Saber and Zealous Strike properly. I basically had to guess when each was ready to use. The other raiding Sentinel in my guild was having the same issues.

And don't get me started on the flashing every 1.5 seconds...

I agree with everything here.... I play a Sentinel as well.

The problem is that I can't see if an ability is useable until the GCD animation effect is over. Also the current UI still doesn't take into account resource starved abilities or proc abilities.

Red filters or another color should distinguish resource/proc abilities that cannot be used. They should not be used in the GCD effect. The GCD effect should also take into account abilities that come available during the GCD effect and apply the appropriate colorfiltering immediately. Abilities off of the GCD should also not be touched by the GCD effect.

lol love how it was on the ptr and you guys complain about it when it is live instead of testing it.

and then when they are asking for your feedback you are still mad at them, like ugh now they are asking us our opinions! what pig.

anyway the ui change at first bothered me, but affter playing with it i got used to it and liked the cooldown color ontop of it, the only change i would make would be to have abilities that cant be used even when the gcd is up be light up and abilities that cant be darkened. or something of the sort.

if there was no change i would be hapoy as i find it very useful now.

OK, I see the poll has been about the same... We want the GCD fixed. The end.

Now for a poll of fixing Ilum vs. fixing the GCD flash... haha

Ilum doesn't make me sick, but the flash does... hrmm

Edited by mrpinkii

I think, in all fairness, the ability to toggle this type of CD UI should be implemented. Some people like it, some do not.

Also i think there should be a very large warning implemented in the next patch, seriously, make them accept a much broader agreement.

Something along the lines of a health advisory, because it seems that people who complain of "Physical Health" issues, but then still continue to actually play and participate in the game regardless... probably need a little further guidance on how to avoid those problems.

I like the brighter CD that shows... for the GCD. I wish maybe there was something a little different about an actual ability being on CD, maybe a timer like some have said or a very dark gray/blackout of the ability.

Overall I don't feel the UI change has affected my game play adversely, PvP or PvE wise, but there are plenty of people who have to stare at their abilities and bars a lot more to see what they are doing and I can understand how this would bother them.

TLDR====> Whatever you change/change back PLEASE consider some type of toggle.

Oh, Later Edit: It would be GREAT if you had some sort of ability "Flash" to notify the player of procs. I don't particularly care much while on some classes, but on Oper/JK/SW it would be much nicer to have this, knowing when you have TacAdv and such procced.

Edited by Ebbikenezer

• I don't like that I can't see which of my spells are on longer cooldown whenever the global
    cooldown slider is active since all abilities turn grey.

• The white flash when the GCD finishes is a bit too strong and distracts me.

• I like the defined white lines around abilities.

(Very little feedback was received on the PTS Forum before the patch was deployed to the live servers, otherwise changes may have been made before the patch's deployment.)

Last time i checked you still had to level a character up on PTS. If you really want more player feedback then fix this NOW. Not many people want to level another character up on PTS.

Oh and the new UI is pretty bad.

Couldn't agree more with this ^^

Again it seems that the players are at fault if Bioware can't do their jobs properly.

Give us the proper tools to test your game and maybe more people will bother to test it.

and yes i know that you don't need a high lvl char to test this change but many previous and next patches require a high lvl to properly test and since you can't import your high lvl char or create a pre-made one, you have to lvl one in addition to the ones you have in the main servers, i think that like me, many people just didn't bother to install the test client.

Edited by skepticck

Please revert the latest UI to the pre-1.12 version then make the following simple addition that will make most of us happy...

Add integer countdown in the ability window once the cooldown reaches, say, 30...and obviously for cds less than 30, just start the countdown with whatever that cd is.

Then, this will no lomger be an issue, thank you.

lol love how it was on the ptr and you guys complain about it when it is live instead of testing it.

and then when they are asking for your feedback you are still mad at them, like ugh now they are asking us our opinions! what pig.

anyway the ui change at first bothered me, but affter playing with it i got used to it and liked the cooldown color ontop of it, the only change i would make would be to have abilities that cant be used even when the gcd is up be light up and abilities that cant be darkened. or something of the sort.

if there was no change i would be hapoy as i find it very useful now.

I can't take you seriously.

You obviously have no clue what is actually going on here, you lack proper punctuation, and you misspelled happy.

Most of all though, you really don't know what is going on. At all.