What does stealth do for us?

sanctimonia

So as a sith assassin I was wondering...what exactly is the appeal to stealth for us?

I mean atm I am level 12 and stealth is:

a) Not really needed since I rip everything apart pretty well (again that just maybe the fact that I am still only 12)

b) Does not really add anything

I mean most stealth classes in MMOs (ok ok I will just come out and say it....in WoW) have a system where you get a few stealth only abilities that you can use to really get the jump on your target.

However currently I do not have any such skill. And iirc there is really only 1 stealth only skill SI have.

So what exactly is the point of stealth for us?

P.S. Does stealth actually work well in pvp currently? I feel like I get seen in it a lot. Is there some trick to it?

It will seem more useful later on.

In the dps skill tree, you can pick talents to increase your force regen after attacking from stealth which boosts the damage you can do.

When you get closer to lvl 30, assassins get more abilities that can be used only from stealth.

If you spec into "Dark Embrace" in the Deception tree, you get 50% increased Force regeneration for 6 seconds after you break stealth. You can also start battles off with Maul -- and later on, Spike -- instead of just charging in there.

In Pve it lets you get into position to use your Maul, also in instances, you can get into position, sneak up behind their healer, or the guy in cover..

And with it Stealthing your companion at the same time, it just makes for some nice Burst in pve.

Sneak in, Maul a weak one, usually 1 hitting it. Overload the group. The Companion typically then jumps at one with it's charge. pick one he didn't go after, Shock it as you run up to it, and if it was dazed, maul it again.

quite fun little combos :)

yeah if you play it like some kind of stealth rogue character in WoW you won't succeed. later on, stealth will get more important but its mostly just for force regen and positioning yourself. personally, I think the non-stealth obsessed assassin will play much better

One who plays a stealth class, without utilising the stealth mechanic, will never play the class to it's maximum potential. Period.

PvE is relatively faceroll in all MMOs/games in general, PvP is a different ball game entirely.

I'm a Darkness tank so stealth has extremely little use for me, and as for damage mitigation- sure, I've got tons of it. There's a baseline Assassin (or Inq) ability that functions as a shield wall, not sure what it's called; but my tree is full of mitigation and damage reduction; not so big on stealth mechanics and such.

You guys are totally underestimating how valuable this ability from a soloing, grouping and tanking ability, especially in pvp. Yes, once you engage in combat, its not as good, but, it lets you activate several CC abilities that have a pretty decent duration, plus you can sneak right up to a group of ranged attackers and just start tanking them.

In PVP, it lets you act as the scout for an advanced group, plus CC people as the rest of your group approaches and / or engages. Your resilience in combat should make up for your abilities to do significant damage.

When you combo all the stuns, incapacitates and damage cds that the assassin has access to, its a very potent class.

From a soloing perspective, you can avoid so many different mobs as others struggle to get through them. This Advanced Class should play similar to a death knight tank or feral druid in WoW. My current character is only level 11 right now, and I have not had the chance to really play since leaving Korriban, but I can just imagine the possibilities in PVP and PVE for this character.

You guys are totally underestimating how valuable this ability from a soloing, grouping and tanking ability, especially in pvp. Yes, once you engage in combat, its not as good, but, it lets you activate several CC abilities that have a pretty decent duration, plus you can sneak right up to a group of ranged attackers and just start tanking them.

See thats the thing....iirc we only have one skill that requiers us to be in stealth.

Thus 99% of the stuff I can do in stealth I can do out of stealth.

Now I wont deny getting the first hit is awsome, but I was just curious as to how intertwined stealth is to are class.

Basically are we a stealth class or are we just a class that happens to have a stealth skill?

See thats the thing....iirc we only have one skill that requiers us to be in stealth.

Thus 99% of the stuff I can do in stealth I can do out of stealth.

Now I wont deny getting the first hit is awsome, but I was just curious as to how intertwined stealth is to are class.

Basically are we a stealth class or are we just a class that happens to have a stealth skill?

Intertwined maybe not so much. But as people are touching on, it has some pretty good uses. It's not really a matter of getting the first hit. With tanking, instead of running up to a group, activating them and having them run wherever they want (Straight to the healer if they cast any preheals/shields), you can stealth right up and snap off an aoe and have them all in perfect position from the get go. Aswell as stealthing to the other side of the group before pulling. Theres also the fact that you don't have to rely on a rogue to sap a target for you and risk them getting one shot. You can stealth around and pick your target to sap and if you get detected pfft who cares you're the tank.

It's gonna be pretty useful in many situations, but as you're getting at, it's not going to be pivotal to the class. Just a bonus utility I guess. I'm bloody glad we have it though because I intend to make damned good use of it

I love being a SA normally as a Tank you walk around with a sign saying KICK me in PVP and stuff but now you can show up ring the doorbell like your the friendly pizza man then punch them in the face, Seriously though, the ability to be a tank, off tank, great dps, ganker works great for someone like me who would rather have a multifaceted character then roll 10 alts so Now I got my Assassin so I can Tank or Dps or a little of both I love not being forced to be just DPS since there is only 4 Arc-types

more quickly soloing heroic content by skipping straight to the objectives

Getting the two datacrons on nar shadda which are in higher level areas when you first visit there.

Going afk with out fear of agro

moving around more stealthily in pvp

gathering crafting materials in hostile environments

Making super sneaky stealth groups with operatives and other assassins

So as a sith assassin I was wondering...what exactly is the appeal to stealth for us?

I mean atm I am level 12 and stealth is:

a) Not really needed since I rip everything apart pretty well (again that just maybe the fact that I am still only 12)

b) Does not really add anything

I mean most stealth classes in MMOs (ok ok I will just come out and say it....in WoW) have a system where you get a few stealth only abilities that you can use to really get the jump on your target.

However currently I do not have any such skill. And iirc there is really only 1 stealth only skill SI have.

So what exactly is the point of stealth for us?

P.S. Does stealth actually work well in pvp currently? I feel like I get seen in it a lot. Is there some trick to it?

I assume you are addressing PvP, so I will target my response to that aspect of gameplay.

I can assure you that stealth is very useful for deception, but not in the way you appear to want it to (apologies if I'm making assumptions). The primary benefit to combat that it gives is force regen, which is huge in allowing you to maintain your higher damage rotations for longer periods of time. This should be very noticeable at your level, where you will realize that starting from stealth allows you to prolong the time it takes for you to drain your force bar, thus doing higher damage in shorter periods of time.

You will not get a skill that directly benefits combat (cc, damage, etc) until 20 with the Sap-like ability. You do not get a combat opener until level 42. That combat opener is notably less strong than any opener you might have used from WoW, but it does still have its varied uses if you can be smart about it.

A response to the PS:

You will have to invest talents to increase your stealth level, as the stealth detection range in this game is very high if the target is facing you and you do not have this talent. This will not solve all problems, as stealth is notably more fragile in this game than World of Warcraft, and you will still have to be careful to approach from the rear for the best results.

A P.S. for you:

The operative possess an extremely strong stealth opener (hidden strike-which as 31 concealment is essentially every WoW opener rolled into one with expose armor mixed in). However, the operative loses a lot of out of stealth damage compared to the assassin for this skill. There are also other tradeoffs. It might be worth looking at for you, in any case.

Edited by Lina_Inverse