The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech 50 PVP Video: 4/6/31 All-Out DPS Spec

taugrimtaugrim

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually am fond of the new lighting system for hotkeys with 1.1.2. It makes it a lot easier then trying to look for the icon or a sound. Very noticeable when things reset.

Was kind of weird seeing it when I logged in today though. But I like it.

I haven't logged in yet today. I'll have to check this out when I get a chance.

For me the easiest way for me to know rail shot has reset is to listen for the "laugh".

Yes, I forgot to mention that!

The laughter is a great audio queue. Of course, if there are too many other players of the same class nearby, sometimes you can't tell if it's you or someone else doing the laughing :)

Course that doesn't work to well if your not listening to SWTOR sound effects.

It's always nice to see someone making use of all the abilities at their disposal.

I like the fact that you make use of Vanguard Flame thrower, so many people underestimate that ability in pvp.

Our AOEs are excellent. One of the best things to do at a node fight is pop the Crit buff and relic, then DFA and follow up with FT.

That just wrecks multiple people.

Also I like the trooper pvp armor better then the BH pvp armor :(

They both look awesome IMO. I love the look of their heavy armor. Makes wearing robes just not look as sexy.

Taugrim, coming from a 40 sorc if that matters, would you recommend this spec or Your Iron fist spec for levelling/early pvp? My power tech is level 21 atm and plan on pvping regularly.

The 3 trees are all viable for leveling, going up the first 21 points. You get goodies in each tree that provide value in PVP.

From that point, you can start targeting near-endgame specs. Which you choose depends on your preferred playstyle.

Some specs you won't be able to effective run til higher level (e.g. Carolina Parakeet at 48 as 21/0/18).

Hmmm Deguass doesn't seem all that useful now since things like Force Lightning are a constantly applied slow and even breaking snares is all for naught if you get stunned a second later.

I guess I will take Infrared sensors.

How do stealth dectection levels work exactly?

For what reason(s) might you favor this build over an 8/8/25 build? For reference (and I don't mean to debate the worth of Degauss or Infrared Sensors, as there are clearly stylistic variants to any build): http://knotor.com/skills#AgMICBmz09qhqsrbU1pzgoqRmquyy9IA

It seems to me that going 31 in Pyro, while surely granting you TD, the sub-30% hp execute DoT talent, and +3% Tech crit chance, gives up a fair amount of DPS buffs from the other trees: 1) a +6% buff to our nuke, 2) +2% to all flame effects (essentially every attack other than rail shot and our auto attack), and 3) a +9% buff to Aim (flat buffing damage and probably amounting to about a +1% crit chance). If you don't find the execute talent that intriguing, which I frankly don't, as there are many fights which simply won't last long enough to make it worthwhile, prioritizing buffing our nuke might amount to the most DPS.

Edit: If we also presume that the cast of TD will be replaced in a 'rotation' with another cast of Flame Burst, that's another 30% chance for PPA procing a free rail shot -- and rail shots, which themselves regulate heat and dish damage that even makes me want to smugly laugh along, are awesome.

Edited by neeman

Reason TD is so important in PvP is the burst.

I get 4k to 5K (Max is 5129 Right now) TD Crits depending on the gear of the target. As it's ticking down you can build up your dots and Rail Shot when the explosion goes off. It's a very very deadly combo that is near unrecoverable if you get good crits. (Note: It's depending on those crits for this burst to work best).

There is nothing, zero, that can replace that in a rotation and yield same max burst results.

Not to mention, in a hectic environment like PvP at times, having definite damage like TD outweighs hoping your rail shot resets to get that extra large damage in. (In regards to the difference in the two specs). At the very least that's my mindset on the matter.

As far as the "execute", I do attack a lot of high HP targets at times. As a result that 30% is a good chunk of HP that gets extra damage added to it. 3% Tech Crit is great too. More crit in talents allows you to better +power/+surge your gear while maintaining a good crit ratio.

Edited by exphryl

Yes, I forgot to mention that!

The laughter is a great audio queue. Of course, if there are too many other players of the same class nearby, sometimes you can't tell if it's you or someone else doing the laughing :)

Course that doesn't work to well if your not listening to SWTOR sound effects.

To add on, whenever your Railshot refreshes, you'll see a line (from you head to your feet) circle your character. That's a more visual way to know that it's refreshed.

Another reason to consider keeping TD is the ranged aspect.

Yes the added burst is good, but also is the fact that the main "utility" of Pyro is it's ability to harrass an opponent at ranged pretty effectively for a melee spec.

Edited by Dharagada

I mentioned this earlier (or in another thread) but I am having remarkable success using 4 Piece Columi over 4 of my Battlemaster Pieces, as well as a high crit/surge ear piece over the BM earpiece.

Stats are as follows as well as tooltip for Railshot in this gear:

http://www.risengaming.com/pvp/rangestats_columi.jpg

http://www.risengaming.com/pvp/techstats_columi.jpg

Note: Expertise is still at 10.04%

Obviously you'll see Accuracy very low. I personally, in PvP, do not overly value this stat. Just my playstyle that is, and there are some negatives that come with it but to me the benefits outweigh the cons.

With the wonderful Bag Change I was able to buy two IA Champ pieces for their high power/surge enhancement and put that in my gear to bump things up a bit. (Previously in videos I posted about burst both railshot max damage and surge were lower. These higher values are a today thing).

From what I've been testing so far I get significantly more 5K+ Rail shot crits (with trinkets). But lately I've been 4.5k too borderling 5K without trinkets (not on BM Geared opponents obviously. But still a value I wasn't able to achieve before today to this extent).

So if you have extra credits and want to fiddle with enhancements may be something you might want to give a shot.

I mentioned this earlier (or in another thread) but I am having remarkable success using 4 Piece Columi over 4 of my Battlemaster Pieces, as well as a high crit/surge ear piece over the BM earpiece.

Stats are as follows as well as tooltip for Railshot in this gear:

http://www.risengaming.com/pvp/rangestats_columi.jpg

http://www.risengaming.com/pvp/techstats_columi.jpg

Note: Expertise is still at 10.04%

Obviously you'll see Accuracy very low. I personally, in PvP, do not overly value this stat. Just my playstyle that is, and there are some negatives that come with it but to me the benefits outweigh the cons.

With the wonderful Bag Change I was able to buy two IA Champ pieces for their high power/surge enhancement and put that in my gear to bump things up a bit. (Previously in videos I posted about burst both railshot max damage and surge were lower. These higher values are a today thing).

From what I've been testing so far I get significantly more 5K+ Rail shot crits (with trinkets). But lately I've been 4.5k too borderling 5K without trinkets (not on BM Geared opponents obviously. But still a value I wasn't able to achieve before today to this extent).

So if you have extra credits and want to fiddle with enhancements may be something you might want to give a shot.

I'd still replace some of the power mods with Accuracy ones.

The worse thing about Railshot is when it misses...

Which is can quite a lot on high def tanks.

Obviously don't go overboard. But 100% accuracy is a good enough to actually deal more damage on tanks and enemies in cover who actually avoid railshot a few amount.

I'd still replace some of the power mods with Accuracy ones.

The worse thing about Railshot is when it misses...

Which is can quite a lot on high def tanks.

Obviously don't go overboard. But 100% accuracy is a good enough to actually deal more damage on tanks and enemies in cover who actually avoid railshot a few amount.

As I said, in the post quoted. For *my* playstyle I don't mind the lower accuracy :)

I still haveall my enhancements I pulled out to get to that 100% accuracy mark. But so far it hasn't been a huge hindrance and the higher RS shots are worth it.

Edited by exphryl

i have the same concern,

snare is very annoy to pryo.

I swear you people must be playing another class...or another game. You are like the snare king if specced right. My flame burst snares everybody. Nobody gets near me without getting snared.

Ok sorry I was stunned about PT worried bout snares when everybody I play is snared..but whatever. I have a few more points I feel like talking about tonight and this seems like a good spot.

I think you guys under acknowledge the beauty and power and sheer killing goodness of flameburst. The rail shots are like little presents I get once in awhile but they are already on fire and far too late for the hospital. And with a snare on it? You can walk backwards, snare them..and shoot them to hell. Many level 48 tanks have died a little inside and shed a few tears as I did that to them at level 19.

I have no idea how this class plays out at 50 though. I suspect it doesn't suck, but I'm not sure if it's beatiful as it is now as 36.

One thing is for sure, you can't be the focus of the warzone with this spec. If 5 guys decide to take you out, you aren't a Jugg and you are going to be taken out fast and repeatedly. Your best bet is never to be first to the zerg. Lag the zerg a bit then quietly set them all on fire. I'm only amazed that they are screaming for sorc nerfs. If I can get a level 49 sorc solo, he's charred deadness.

As I said, in the post quoted. For *my* playstyle I don't mind the lower accuracy :)

I still haveall my enhancements I pulled out to get to that 100% accuracy mark. But so far it hasn't been a huge hindrance and the higher RS shots are worth it.

Oh well thats fine then. But I don't understand what you mean by your playstyle. If you using the same build you have exactly the same playstyle you just feel you will be lucky and actually hit, some people would be more strict and stick a lot more accuracy in. Accuracy could just stay at 90% if you want to max DPS but that is only DPS if hit.

Really luck is a large factor both for hitting with Railshot and proccing them. Like getting 3 laughs in a row from flame burst each meaning a Railshot after each one hopefully meaning a dead enemy in a few moments.

Edited by The_Beastwood

Oh well thats fine then. But I don't understand what you mean by your playstyle. If you using the same build you have exactly the same playstyle you just feel you will be lucky and actually hit, some people would be more strict and stick a lot more accuracy in. Accuracy could just stay at 90% if you want to max DPS but that is only DPS if hit.

Really luck is a large factor both for hitting with Railshot and proccing them. Like getting 3 laughs in a row from flame burst each meaning a Railshot after each one hopefully meaning a dead enemy in a few moments.

Meh. I don't agree. I have the same build as many of you and we don't play anything alike. I can tell because all you talk about is rail shot. What are you gonna do when they nerf it. Ill not even notice.

Meh. I don't agree. I have the same build as many of you and we don't play anything alike. I can tell because all you talk about is rail shot. What are you gonna do when they nerf it. Ill not even notice.

I swear you people must be playing another class...or another game. You are like the snare king if specced right. My flame burst snares everybody. Nobody gets near me without getting snared.

First of all, Flame Burst only snares your target, and the snare has a short duration that slightly longer than the GCD.

Second, if you are spamming FB, you'll build up Heat quickly and you won't be activating higher-priority abilities such as Rail Shot, Thermal Detonator, Rocket Punch, Incendiary, etc.

Third, you have to distinguish between opponents snaring you and you snaring opponents. Yes, this spec has the ability to keep a target snared. But that doesn't prevent them from snaring you, and the lack of in-combat mobility that the other two trees have is one of the downsides of playing Pyrotech.

I think you guys under acknowledge the beauty and power and sheer killing goodness of flameburst.

Flame Burst is a filler ability for this spec. You use it to either snare or while other higher-priority abilities are on cooldown, and to reset the cooldown of Rail Shot.

The rail shots are like little presents I get once in awhile but they are already on fire and far too late for the hospital.

You are the first person I've ever read on the Powertech (or Vanguard) forum who believes Rail Shot isn't a critical ability for the spec. It's *the* spec-defining ability.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

You are the first person I've ever read on the Powertech (or Vanguard) forum who believes Rail Shot isn't a critical ability for the spec. It's *the* spec-defining ability.

I disagree. Rail Shot is the class defining ability.

Edited by TheronFett

That is because rail shot is pretty much the whole point. You be firing exactly the same amount of railshots I fire dependant on proccing. The only way you can have a different playstyle to me is if you are not using railshot at all or pretending you're a merc with unload. But judging from your post about kiting with flame burst I doubt it as that is exactly what I do, UNLESS YOU ARE NOT USING RAILSHOT then you are doing it completely wrong.

Edited by The_Beastwood

How does the Full DPS Powertech stack up to the DPS Mercenary?

Thanks

Both output excellent burst and sustained damage.

The cast-time Tracer Missile spammer put out hellacious burst and can not be ignored. But they use cast-time abilities so they are easier to control. That said, they can heal functionally too.

Which is better? Answer is neither. Both are excellent in the hands of a capable player.

How does the Full DPS Powertech stack up to the DPS Mercenary?

Thanks

In what situation?

1 vs 1 against each other a well played Powertech Pyro DPS should *never* lose to a well played Merc. The difference is you can be up in the face of people as a PT and win, (well you kind of have to anyways), Mercs excel at distance.

You invade their personal space bubble and they are pretty worthless.

In overall Warzone efficiency though, they are about equal for the most part.

Both output excellent burst and sustained damage.

The cast-time Tracer Missile spammer put out hellacious burst and can not be ignored. But they use cast-time abilities so they are easier to control. That said, they can heal functionally too.

Which is better? Answer is neither. Both are excellent in the hands of a capable player.

In what situation?

1 vs 1 against each other a well played Powertech Pyro DPS should *never* lose to a well played Merc. The difference is you can be up in the face of people as a PT and win, (well you kind of have to anyways), Mercs excel at distance.

You invade their personal space bubble and they are pretty worthless.

In overall Warzone efficiency though, they are about equal for the most part.

Which would be advisable to someone fairly new to MMO's but not new to computer games?

Thanks

Edited by Talon_Starfire