Did bioware just get lazy towards the end?

SoulstitchMMO

I'm on my republic character and I've noticed over the past couple planets... most all the world quests are given by aliens... that don't speak english, and they all sound like the same voice actor ran through an auto-tuner.

I lol'd.

Seriously though, the alien dialogue is funny but extremely repetitive because they keep saying the same words every few sentences and the subtitles are clearly showing me that they are not saying the same thing they said earlier, lol. I hate talking bad about it, i was such a big fan of the voice acting when i first started playing the game, i don't know what the hell happened but it's just not fun anymore, now i just wish we had the standard text boxes, it would certainly make leveling alts way more fun than it currently is, i think we can all agree on that one, who would want to listen to the same old "kill 10 rakghouls for me please" over and over again, might as well just put it in a text box so i can quickly read it and be on my way.

Thing is, if you play the game at the rate they expected the average person to play it at (150-200 hours to lvl 50) across the average gaming time of about 2-3 hours a day, meaning that it takes 50-100 days to hit level cap, then you won't have to worry about doing the same quests because you won't remember them from the first time round!

I actually think the quality improves towards the end. I just finished Belsavis and the planet was really well made. Very atmospheric and with lots of NPC banter, patrols, prisoner executions etc. Really liket it (the executions especially, of course).

I actually think the quality improves towards the end. I just finished Belsavis and the planet was really well made. Very atmospheric and with lots of NPC banter, patrols, prisoner executions etc. Really liket it (the executions especially, of course).

You're kidding, right?

Belsavis was massively spread apart, and basically every quest on the second half of that planet was "Kill ALL the Esh-ka"

Not to mention the horrible annoyance at having 3 seperate non-linked taxi systems. Or the incredible roundabout paths that had to be taken just to barely move.

Belsavis is a great example of how not to design a world.

Belsavis is a great example of how not to design a world.

belsavis is still one of the better lvl 40+ planets.

voss mobs just slaps you in the face compared to others and the whole planet looks the same.

corellia is like belsavis, only you HAVE to drive through the middle of nowhere to get to the quest on the other end of the zone. running around coruscant without speed buff was less annoying. not to mention the ambiance is COMPLETELY silent and everybody is just standing around - it sure is urban battle in here. given almost very story culminates on corellia, it's just sad.

Edited by Graburr

I think it's pretty apparent that Bioware ran into a hard deadline requiring that they get the game out in a playable fashion by the week before Christmas at the latest. Either they were chasing the Christmas dollars or really needed to get those launch sales in Q4 for some reason. I don't think laziness really came into it at all. Someone made a decision that things needed to be slapped together at some point to get the game out and put the finishing touches in sometime after launch.

I think it's pretty apparent that Bioware ran into a hard deadline requiring that they get the game out in a playable fashion by the week before Christmas at the latest. Either they were chasing the Christmas dollars or really needed to get those launch sales in Q4 for some reason. I don't think laziness really came into it at all. Someone made a decision that things needed to be slapped together at some point to get the game out and put the finishing touches in sometime after launch.

As a consequence- it feels more like a BETA than a finished product. We can all see and feel it.

I think they'll sort it out; but I don't think they'll do it in time. They are losing more (subs) than they should.

This weekend I went back to Rift, since 1.7 is out and I still have time left on my sub... I didn't even think about swtor. I have time left here too; but I doubt I'll play much more. If/when I get sick of Rift and assuming there isn't something else out.. GW2... I might come back.

My guess is since EA rushed the game out in time for Chri$tma$, one of the time saving things they did was start having all the aliens speak alien languages. If we're lucky they might be upgraded to proper VO in later patches.

KOTOR 1/2 used alien languages as well. It's part of the franchise. I honestly don't think they ran out of time or money or icecream or whatever, the voiceovers using alien language don't seem like an afterthought after all because if that were the case then you'd not find these Huttese-speaking aliens littered over all places.

Seriously, stop nit picking! Everyone in General forums does nothing but nit pick at the pettiest things too. You all are just looking for the slightest, most pettiest thing just so you can run to the forums and QQ about it. IMHO, people like the OP should go play another mmo if you are going to be this anal about the silliest things.

Seriously, stop nit picking! Everyone in General forums does nothing but nit pick at the pettiest things too. You all are just looking for the slightest, most pettiest thing just so you can run to the forums and QQ about it. IMHO, people like the OP should go play another mmo if you are going to be this anal about the silliest things.

well, he has a point. When I hear twilek female constant "mulira wampa wampa" or whatever it is and the responses are generic hundred times heard "What's in it for me" and "I might look into it," I know what quest I spacebar through on next char.

I'm on my republic character and I've noticed over the past couple planets... most all the world quests are given by aliens... that don't speak english, and they all sound like the same voice actor ran through an auto-tuner.

That made me laugh :D

My wife, a die hard star wars fan was excited about this game from the moment they first announced it in 2006 or something.

She is a completionist, OCD to the extreme. Wont ever skip anything, and loves enjoying the story and ride. But somewhere along her journey to 50 she stops and said that she didn't want to listen to the crappy dialogue any more and keep doing the same thing. I asked her about it and she said she just didn't care about the npc's crappy problems and couldn't get into the game.

Now she wont even log in

This is weird because she has never been afraid of a grind. The forced voice acting element of the game actually ruined it for her.

Needless to say she is crushed, this was not the SWG2 she was hoping for. No need to attack her or me for that. It is just how it is.

My wife, a die hard star wars fan was excited about this game from the moment they first announced it in 2006 or something.

She is a completionist, OCD to the extreme. Wont ever skip anything, and loves enjoying the story and ride. But somewhere along her journey to 50 she stops and said that she didn't want to listen to the crappy dialogue any more and keep doing the same thing. I asked her about it and she said she just didn't care about the npc's crappy problems and couldn't get into the game.

Now she wont even log in

This is weird because she has never been afraid of a grind. The forced voice acting element of the game actually ruined it for her.

Needless to say she is crushed, this was not the SWG2 she was hoping for. No need to attack her or me for that. It is just how it is.

You just added 2+2 and made it 10.

She doesn't care about them and is fed up with doing the same thing over and over is what you said.

How does this equate to easily skipable voice overs making her not want to play,

You just added 2+2 and made it 10.

She doesn't care about them and is fed up with doing the same thing over and over is what you said.

How does this equate to easily skipable voice overs making her not want to play,

Because as was already said she has gotten sick of trying to care and be interested in the crappy problems they have to get you care about why you need to go kill 10 robots. Thus she was inclined to become a spacebar commander rather then listen to them.

Being a completionist spamming spacebar to avoid the annoyance of them crapping onto her rubbed her the wrong way. As such she couldn't get into the game and stopped playing.

Thus the voice over element ruined it for her. Oh well :)

there's a cure for that...you can disable movie scene diolog :)

next?

Are you saying you can disable conversations when accepting / finishing quests and just get a accept / decline style with text you can either choose to read or not? If so I would be greatly interested as she could switch off and grind without constantly being dragged into conversation.

Just saying it how it is :) I'm sure there are plenty of OCD achievment whore kind of people out there, annoyed by how little they are interested in the conversations. No need to judge them for it.

Night night sleep time.

Edited by Harower

I tought the empire endgame side was rushed , but the republic end game side is even worst.

While the story plots and choices finally give a sense of adventure and excitement.

The freaking low rewards , the lack of bind points near quest givers hub ...

The bugs and totally sometimes unbalanced mobs ...

(starting corellia first zone , versus 2nd zone , why the heck is the starting packed with tons of elite , and 2nd zone they are green and weaker)

Sure made the quests hubs near the end , seem meaningless.

Expected the last 10 levels to be rushed , but truthfullly , not that rushed at the republic side.