Would you play an "offline" version of SWTOR (maybe for a lower monthly fee)?

TheRealDestian

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's assume it already would be like this today:

- you would need to keep your local server and client constantly updated, the server is updated more frequently than the client. So that would be quite some traffic.

- you would also require the assets for both (again: traffic)

- you would require the system requirements as well (additional costs on user side) as you would have to emulate an entire server system structure on one single system.

It would also require a different licensing concept and you would have to make sure that the software cannot be altered to provide anything more than a local connection.

I a pretty sure I have left out many deeper architectural aspects. Easier and cheaper to have KOTOR3 based on your SW:TOR character by comparison :p

Edited by ArmchairMagpie

If the dev is adding new single player content, why wouldn't you pay a small monthly fee?

Why would they add single player content for their MMO? This just reverses all the priorities that this game (Again, a multiplayer, MMORPG) should have.

This idea is silly.

Besides, I don't pay for an MMORPG for new content. We'll wind up paying for expansions anyway with way more content than any patch. No, I pay for MMORPGs because I understand that there's an impressive infrastructure behind all of them, and that's expensive. You don't need a data center for a single player game.

No i would not. I have more single player games on my to-play list than I will probably ever will have time or energy to plow through. This game does not live up to the quality/standards of a single player game, not even remotely close. Playing the offline version would be insane!

As much as I wish they made this game SOLO RPG. It's not and the way the game is designed. (Early Stages 1-10) and the fact that you sometimes need help in beating that elite that seem's to be two levels higher then you this cannot be done.

Oh how I wished they made KOTR 3. It would have been released sooner and I would have enjoyed it more. The idea of the MMO is good in theory. However to actually bring a game and make it more interactive.

It just wasn't thought through. I hate having to walk across the map 45 minutes to get to one zone. Even though General Chat is filled with trolls it's still better then being alone. The way this game is set up "go kill x amount of mobs"

Just makes me want to re-install dragon age orgins and play it from the start. However I doubt very seriously they would allow two seperate play's. One offline and one online for a lower monthly fee.

However long term's I don't know how this game will do. Even wow lost 2 million sub's in under a year last year. With their being no content there untill 2013 easy to perdict they will dip below the 10 million mark.

Now with SWTOR. It's fun don't get me wrong. I love shooting blasting lighting and I even enjoy some warzone's but after a few months people that re-rolled may get bored. That's fine for 15 dollar's a month it's a good deal.

I just think people were expecting something like guild wars 2 has. I watched a video of guild wars and it said quoting "Grinding is not acceptable to us. It's not fun" and they are right but yeah.

How many folks here would like to play SWTOR as an offline game? Same stories, same world, just 0 players.

Would you be happier playing it offline with no other players around? Would you do so if it only cost $5 per month to play offline instead of $15? (to cover the development of new content)

The offline version is exactly what it should have been anyways. This game is not an MMo.. at least not one they should charge for.

Why would they add single player content for their MMO? This just reverses all the priorities that this game (Again, a multiplayer, MMORPG) should have.

This idea is silly.

Besides, I don't pay for an MMORPG for new content. We'll wind up paying for expansions anyway with way more content than any patch. No, I pay for MMORPGs because I understand that there's an impressive infrastructure behind all of them, and that's expensive. You don't need a data center for a single player game.

Except it's not strictly a single player game....

How many folks here would like to play SWTOR as an offline game? Same stories, same world, just 0 players.

Would you be happier playing it offline with no other players around? Would you do so if it only cost $5 per month to play offline instead of $15? (to cover the development of new content)

No, because without the online feature I wouldn't be able to play with an international group of guildies.

The offline version is exactly what it should have been anyways. This game is not an MMo.. at least not one they should charge for.

So I guess WoW isn't an mmo either. I can get form 1-85 without grouping or talking to a single person.

Wow, I'm surprised at how many people wouldn't want to play an offline version for a lower monthly fee. I most definitely would. I think its a great concept. The world is heavily sharded and doesn't feel populated anyway, so there wouldn't be much difference from my perspective.

They could allow for private servers, too, with a lower fee.

• 3 months later...
Sure why not. When they patch Monday nights. Or if the net goes down. The latter is very rare for me but it would be nice to have the option. BTW I love how upset people get about something that would not effect them in anyway. OMG he wants to play it offline! That will so how ruin my online experience! lol Derp!

I already am...

Well it feels like it at least.