So DOTs and objectives...

Tenthletter

So Bioware, are you guys ever going to fix DOTs when defending nodes?

Currently you cannot capture a node with a DOT ticking on you. I just single-handedly held off 4 people in Voidstar and then 3 people in Alderaan simply by tab dotting, running away, coming back and doing it again. Over, and over, and over. I've also dotted people up in Alderaan, died, flown back quickly and had time to reapply dots, effectively making the objective impossible to capture.

I know, enemies should l2cleanse, but the fact is there isn't always someone capable of doing so, making this an impossible strategy to overcome in numerous situations.

I mean, I like that I can do it, but that's a pretty overly simple way to defend nodes. Any plans on fixing this?

Lethality op > an entire enemy Voidstar/Civil Warteam. I found my niche. DoT, aoe DoT, tab DoT until empty, die, res, repeat for 8 minutes.

Wrack up 75 kills in a game with 0 killing blows :D

Edited by Xenthum

How is that a bug that needs to be fixed?

Theres a simple solution for this problem usually - kill the person placing the dots (if you dont care to purge them). People fail to realize that at Voidstar, the best tactic is actually...well... focusing on killing the enemy team fast and not hope you can sneak to the door while no one watches.

In alderman, it matters even less.

It doesn't matter, a DOT really shouldn't stop you from capping a node. I've had a situation where, in the Civil War, I killed 2 players (not at full health) and went to cap, but couldn't due to a DoT. They used the side speeders and I had no chance.

It just takes away from the game to allow it to affect completing objectives. I mean, they are still doing damage and are useful, but they shouldn't have all of that capability.

Too bad for you. How does it make an argument for making dots not interupt objectives capture?

Next you say nerf stealthers since they can interupt you 3 times in a row (stun from stealth without leaving stealth, hit you out of stealth than vanish, than hit you again).

All i see is whining that you cant handle the situation that everyone else have to deal with too.

How is that a bug that needs to be fixed?

Theres a simple solution for this problem usually - kill the person placing the dots (if you dont care to purge them). People fail to realize that at Voidstar, the best tactic is actually...well... focusing on killing the enemy team fast and not hope you can sneak to the door while no one watches.

In alderman, it matters even less.

Except DOTs keep ticking after you're dead, and in Alderaan it matters even more.

DOT everyone up before you die, and you make it back on the bike in plenty of time to redot everyone again, making the node impossible to cap.

Seriously, do people even bother to read posts?

Too bad for you. How does it make an argument for making dots not interupt objectives capture?

Next you say nerf stealthers since they can interupt you 3 times in a row (stun from stealth without leaving stealth, hit you out of stealth than vanish, than hit you again).

All i see is whining that you cant handle the situation that everyone else have to deal with too.

I play a Sorc, and am the one DOTting and can see this is broken.

Seriously, reading comprehension guy.

Here you go. It works for me. http://www.hookedonphonics.com/

That you can keep an enemy from capping an objective for as long as 18 seconds by using one GCD, permanently removing them as a threat in objective based gameplay.

Do you need a roadmap to see why that's mindless and broken?

Dots in PvP are generally useless since such simple spammable thing as Purge removes them completely. Thus dot based builds like say OP or Sniper are ineffective despite great DPS. If you have no one in pug that would purge you - too bad, but what did you expect?

How having a dot on enemy is different from hitting from 35m away or interrupting out of stealth? Or aoeinng from behind an obstacle. Or...

Yes, sorc spamming affiction can do some good for enemies to prevent them capturing - but he would do just as good just aoeing them or healing allies.

Really.. the amount of whiny people on this forums... first its "knockbacks should be baned from hutball!" , "pull is a cheat!" , "push is a cheat!" and now "dots shoudnt interupt capture!"...

I play a Sorc, and am the one DOTting and can see this is broken.

Seriously, reading comprehension guy.

Here you go. It works for me. http://www.hookedonphonics.com/

So? I got a sorc and played it excensively (switched on a sin now though), and yes, i used Affiction spam at Voidstar as well. I dont see a problem.

Casting affiction costs 50 mana, takes one global cooldown. If you run to the enemy capping the point and cast affiction - its the same result as if you would just run to him and shoot shock at him. Either way he cant cap unless all players of enemy in range are controlled/killed.

As said - focus in Voidstar lies on killing enemy team efficiently, not trying to sneak cap. In organized team pvp - dots mater not, not at all. Purge is as instant as call on ventrilo or teamspeak. In pugs - the team that manages to kill enemy effectively and utilize the time when they are on resspoint wins.

There are hell lot of factors influencing your possibilities to win a match, dots are just one of them. Just because you dont like that specific mechanic (and than you will complain about snipers placing flame turrets at the door, aoe, e.t.c.)

Sorc casting a dot on you is a sign saying - "go kill me before you can open the door". You take damage - you are interupted. As easy as that. No exceptions (even if you have shield that takes you take 0 damage).

Thats how mechanics work and its intended. I boggles me how many people can simply accept the gameplay mechanics and want to play something else that they "expect game to be like" instead of whats intended and what is.

You can dot stealthers before they restealth, not to mention they only have a chance at getting away if you let them.

DOTS don't go away until after it's purged or its effect wears off. I used to play a Warlock, and while I currently play a Sith Juggernaut, my other main is going to be a Sith Sorcerer. I always loved affliction and I will definitely enjoy playing a Sorcerer. I do know that I will always refresh my dots before I am dead, and unfortunately if I can refresh my dots before I die, and then someone return (side speeder) before the cap and refresh my dots again, yeah, I'd say there's a problem. In Void, it is a little more tricky because it directly depends on defense/offense, if the gate is just opening or closing, etc but there's still high probability to refresh dots before they expire.

It's not like he's saying nerf the damage that DOTS cause, and at least if someone is AOEing they are in the general area. If someone runs up, dots, runs away (as described), why should a node not be able to be capped? Oh, right, because of the lingering dot. SKILL SON

EDIT: I would also like to add that if your argument is that dots don't matter in team play... umm... why would you care if this change was implemented? Because apparently this isn't a big deal. If it's not a big deal, why are you acting like it is by defending it? Yeah, right.

Edited by Skillmare

Except DOTs keep ticking after you're dead, and in Alderaan it matters even more.

DOT everyone up before you die, and you make it back on the bike in plenty of time to redot everyone again, making the node impossible to cap.

As said. You win by wining, not by whining. Yes as a sorc last thing i do if i realize i die is Affiction on as many targets as possible. Sure. But it does not effect the game in a least.

If you want to capture the node at alderan - YOU HAVE TO CONTROL IT. You dont just run there, kill an enemy you encounter and easely cap it.

You have to deal with stealthers, have to deal with people returning with a speeders, have to deal with dots e.t.c Its fair for all.

Want to capture note easily after killed an enemies guarding it? Set 1-2 people on the spot that speeder lands (its always the same) and CC/Kill enemies the moment they land - they litterally have no possibility to do anything if they are attacked the moment they land.

There are hell lot of factor and mechanics, and changing everything since some people find this or that troublesome would leave us without nothing.

As said, they are all kind of whiners complaining and wanting to dumb down a gameplay since they`ve been knockbacked, seen ball carrier pulled, were pushed away, were doted on objective e.t.c. e.t.c.

Just learn to deal with it. Nothing comes easy and simple.

In organized team pvp - dots mater not, not at all.

Why, if they dont matter at all as you say, are you so vehemently arguing that nothing should be changed about them and stressing the importance of mechanics remaining exactly as they are?

Edited by drosalion

Why, if they dont matter at all as you say, are you so vehemently arguing that nothing should be changed about them and stressing the importance of mechanics remaining exactly as they are?

In organized pvp, single playerd damages does not matter since its outhealed. Lets remove a damage than.

CC does not matter since its removed with CC break abilities.

You logic boggles me. Dots add another layer to the gameplay, and while atm playing a dot dependant built in pvp would be pretty stupid it doesn't remove a fact, that enemy healer would have to remove it and some classes have annoying basic dots (agent acid dart or sorcs affiction).

All those "little things" are here to separate good players and team from the bad. The more possibilities, the better.

Edited by KorwinOfAmber

He's saying they don't matter because "teams" have healers who can purge dots. Capping is about control, as an earlier poster said. Control the area, get the cap. If you don't, then bring some teammates with you to either hold off the folks on the speeders (light cc, enemy uses cc breaker, hard cc), or purge your dot. Or cap it themselves if they're not dotted. Seriously, dots are one of the few things left that make scoundrels/operatives worth pvping with before 36. Otherwise we're useless. Would Learn 2 Team be the appropriate acronym here? You don't have to group with a healer when you queue, just speak up in ops chat before the wz starts. And don't try to cap objectives solo.

In organized pvp, single playerd damages does not matter since its outhealed. Lets remove a damage than.

CC does not matter since its removed with CC break abilities.

You logic boggles me. Dots add another layer to the gameplay, and while atm playing a dot dependant built in pvp would be pretty stupid it doesn't remove a fact, that enemy healer would have to remove it and some classes have annoying basic dots (agent acid dart or sorcs affiction).

All those "little things" are here to separate good players and team from the bad. The more possibilities, the better.

So you're saying dots DO matter then, and possibly even a lot? Sorry i was just confused by your blatant contradictions is all.

Edited by drosalion

If the UI were a little more possible to purge with this would be a non-issue. But it's so stupidly difficult to purge your teammates (which has a cd and doesn't cover all debuffs, btw) that unless you're in voice chat the time it takes a person to type "purge" and the targetting to do so, there will be respawned players on you and the dots will be refreshed anyway.

the stun from stealth (i.e. tranquilizer) fills resolvebar entirely. Nice try though

Do people even BOTHER TO PURGE!!?!?!