Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

NOW = 1.7 Million Active Subscribers | 3 Months from now = Guess What

JohnExponent

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If WOW launched today nobody would really care. They haven't made a Warcraft game in almost 10 years. It's just been so long since Warcraft 3. Chuck Norris can only do so much, without the brand name WOW wouldn't of ever been huge. Maybe if it launched today it would be World of Starcraft, that makes more sense.

I feel like TOR pretty much can't miss right now. They are following the same formula which created WOW. Capitalize on a wildly popular brand name, and market the **** out of it. When bioware finishes dealing with some of the games issues, and adds more content the game will stay steady at 2 mill subs throughout the year.

The mechanics of this game can't be used in a non-SW game. I mean, the mechanics revolve around the structure and such.

So you are saying that the combat mechanics would only work in a SW game? So the abilities in this game that have the exact same name and action as WoW would only work in a SW game? /facepalm

I'm still really interested in how this game is going to fair, bashing aside I'd like to know people think on 2 key aspects

1) Was this type of model a succcess? It's no longer working for WoW as it's trying to diverisfy BUT WoW is an old game so that conclusion cannot be backed up.

2) What kind of content are the majority looking for these days? How do you sustain them?

Warcraft had a smaller audiance before its launch and was more broken then ToR. If you were there at the very launch of WoW then you were given about a month free. Not because they pulled the servers down to patch but because the servers went down.

WoW didnt even break a million till after a year. It had less subscriptions then TOR has supposedly lost.

Its crafting was no better.

Took multiple patches to even complete its 40 man raids. Which in comparison to those TOR reins supreme.

TOR has a que for battlegrounds/warzones. How long was it before WoW added battlegrounds? How long before they added a que anywhere for them?

Even tho TORs world PvP is broken how long was it before WoW tried the same? Silthius. YAAAAY!!! I get to run some glowing sand across a map.

No if WoW how it was at launch was put up today it wouldnt even merit your trolling attempts. Not even a blip on your radar because you would still be itching the big AAA game of the year and here you are.

If the WoW that exsists today was to launched today... well lets not kid ourselves. No one develops a game for 12+ years and it would of been launched earlier and still had a pleathora of bugs.

HAHAHAHA If WoW was launched today. Rift in under a year has done more then WoW did in two.

I do think wow broke 1 million before year one (dont hold me to it but I think they did, thats why some idiots thought the CU/NGE would be a good idea)

There were plenty of crafted items in wow that were useful. Not so many in TOR

Guess you havent read all the issues with operations.

Having something bad in the game like warzones.battlegrounds isnt something to be proud of.

As in to world PVP all I have to say is TM vs SS. WoW wins wolrd pvp by a landslide.

Compairing a launch from 8 years ago to today is fair.

Thats like opening a new heart transplant hospital today and telling your clients that you have a better success rating than one that opened 8 years ago had when it opened. Ever hear of learn from others mistakes as to not repeat their failures.

Edited by Emeda

I'm still really interested in how this game is going to fair, bashing aside I'd like to know people think on 2 key aspects

1) Was this type of model a succcess? It's no longer working for WoW as it's trying to diverisfy BUT WoW is an old game so that conclusion cannot be backed up.

2) What kind of content are the majority looking for these days? How do you sustain them?

I can answer these questions for you.

1. It was a success yes, but people are ready to move on. The dichotomy of Raid or Die, or PVP or Die is getting very stale. The average gamer these day's doesn't want to be forced into anything. SWTOR kind of made the right move in making leveling extremely casual and you don't have to really worry about others - however they should Not have gone with the End Game is Raids model, that, I'd say after over a decade, is done.

2. The kind of content the majority is looking for is fun content that lets them get Into the content quickly, easily, and be fun to play without making you want to stop playing because it's frustrating. They also want, and this is a big one. Re-playability. This for some is what SWTOR offers, however around the 3rd toon, it's just a big samey mess.

How do you sustain them? Simple. By basing your content design off of something that can be made moderately quickly, while making sure older content is not invalidated, and still holds worth/ease of access, so that players can go back easily and help their friends and families, without feeling bored.

Answer: Guild Wars 2. This will be the 1st game that's really trying to do these things. Will it be perfect? Is a 1st try ever perfect? No. However, this is the direction the Genre needs to move in if it wants to survive, there's no other way to look at it.

It caters to casuals in that you don't have to form parties, objectives, kills, exp, loot, they're all equally shared via participating and doing the event at hand, or attacking the monster, whatever. It all counts.

It caters to the PVPers, because it offers that competitive group makeup PVP, smaller matches, more focused on player skill and less on gear. The combat system is action oriented, and not just pure skill mashing, positioning counts. They'll love it.

It caters to the World PVP'ers, in a different way but still we must try new things. With World v World v World, 3 servers are matched up every 2 weeks, and you can access at any time, with any amount of players, a massive area to do battle, siege weapons, take keeps and display your guild banner. This can be coordinated, or not. Your gear is yours, and your kicked up to max level to brawl it out for domination, eventually pushing into the other servers home keeps and controlling it. (This system is most risky, but yields much potential. They've modified DAOC's 3 faction warfare, and made it into 3 server warfare, while at the same time catering to people who don't want to be randomly PVP'ed. If they want it, they can go get it. Anytime.)

It caters to the hard-core PVE players as well, in a smaller sense than raids do. Giving dungeons that have a Story mode, and then Unlocked Exploration mode, that has Dynamic events for a 5 man team, objectives are random, and update as you go, changing your gameplay. These encounters are going to have different abilities each time you encounter them. With 8 dungeons to start, a possible 32 different paths can be taken at first. A dev team failed to complete a level 80 explore more dungeon after a few hours, it offers a lot of challenge. (These dungeons have unique armor skins as drops, based on the dungeon theme. As well as tokens to trade for other armor/skins.)

Content is episodic for GW2, it will hopefully be released in a timely fashion, naturally for a small charge since there is no Sub, so it should maintain the casuals, depending on speed.

Even if it all doesn't work out - it's the only game that's trying to really break free of the Raid or Die mentality - that isn't a pure sandbox.

If nothing else, it's going to be a presence in how MMO's can change, and maybe force developers out of this "WoW model is God" theme they've been following. Stagnation is Death.

Edited by VenthiosLestaran

Probably around 500k.

Honestly, I don't see myself playing this game a month from now. My main is in the 40s, will likely be 50 by then. Level 50 content is rather unimpressive, and I don't feel like grinding PvP for gear. I'm guessing most people will be the same.

Then, factor in the new releases. Such as ME3, possibly Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, etc., etc. They will also release just around the time when SWTOR will start getting mighty boring.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with about 500k in 3 months.

I can answer these questions for you.

1. It was a success yes, but people are ready to move on. The dichotomy of Raid or Die, or PVP or Die is getting very stale. The average gamer these day's doesn't want to be forced into anything. SWTOR kind of made the right move in making leveling extremely casual and you don't have to really worry about others - however they should Not have gone with the End Game is Raids model, that, I'd say after over a decade, is done.

2. The kind of content the majority is looking for is fun content that lets them get Into the content quickly, easily, and be fun to play without making you want to stop playing because it's frustrating. They also want, and this is a big one. Re-playability. This for some is what SWTOR offers, however around the 3rd toon, it's just a big samey mess.

Death.

Interesting read :)

And where did you get that number?

Well over 2 million copies sold and 1.7 active subs means over 300,000 are no longer playing the game.

Dont try to say that the people who have bought the game and not started playing yet is a number above 1000. so 2 million - 1.7 million = 300,000 with the plus being the number over 2 million and the group of the 1.7 million that canceled and still have active play time.

Using common sense when looking at numbers is hard for some people I guess.

Boo, why didnt any of thouse 1.7 million pick the server im on! :(

Jung Ma is always looking for more. ;) If it gets bad, really the only option right now is to just re-roll on another server. If you're interested in moving to Jung Ma as a BH or something Sith or even Republic, I have lots of credits to give away + gear.

Boo, why didnt any of thouse 1.7 million pick the server im on! :(

They are all part of the new stealth class being tested by the empire. They are training on a top secret planet that you dont have access to since you are not part of that group so you dont see them.

They have the ability to evade the /who ability and are able to avoid being detected by the server.

Well over 2 million copies sold and 1.7 active subs means over 300,000 are no longer playing the game.

Dont try to say that the people who have bought the game and not started playing yet is a number above 1000. so 2 million - 1.7 million = 300,000 with the plus being the number over 2 million and the group of the 1.7 million that canceled and still have active play time.

Using common sense when looking at numbers is hard for some people I guess.

No it isn't a 85% retention rate is astounding and the people harping on those 300k are grabbing at the flimsiest if straws...and it further proves that there is a segment of this population that purchased the game and hang around for sole purpose of bashing it and crying doom at every opportunity and that is the most pathetic yellow thing that any gamer could do.

I do think wow broke 1 million before year one (dont hold me to it but I think they did, thats why some idiots thought the CU/NGE would be a good idea)

There were plenty of crafted items in wow that were useful. Not so many in TOR

Guess you havent read all the issues with operations.

Having something bad in the game like warzones.battlegrounds isnt something to be proud of.

As in to world PVP all I have to say is TM vs SS. WoW wins wolrd pvp by a landslide.

Compairing a launch from 8 years ago to today is fair.

Thats like opening a new heart transplant hospital today and telling your clients that you have a better success rating than one that opened 8 years ago had when it opened. Ever hear of learn from others mistakes as to not repeat their failures.

Outside of the epic patterns gained through raids or created from raid mats, there were no "useful" crafted items in WoW.

And TM/SS was fun, but was ultimately pointless. The people here complaining about pvp would be screaming bloody murder at the pvp system in early vanilla that had little rewards and zero method of character progression and consisted of a zerg fest in a low level zone.

Why do so many people use completely erroneous or carefully omitted "facts" about WoW to prove how bad SWTOR is? Even years after launch WoW continues to have glitches, bugs, exploits, poor balancing, and server issues. I guess they were also unable to learn from mistakes...

No it isn't a 85% retention rate is astounding and the people harping on those 300k are grabbing at the flimsiest if straws...and it further proves that there is a segment of this population that purchased the game and hang around for sole purpose of bashing it and crying doom at every opportunity and that is the most pathetic yellow thing that any gamer could do.

Can't believe I'm actually gonna defend that guy, but I think what he was trying to say was that at a bare minimum it's 300K that don't play anymore, and people who bought the game but haven't even started yet is a teensy tiny barely noticable percentage of that 300k+ group.

And if it is indeed anywhere near 85% that would be amazing.

Can't believe I'm actually gonna defend that guy, but I think what he was trying to say was that at a bare minimum it's 300K that don't play anymore, and people who bought the game but haven't even started yet is a teensy tiny barely noticable percentage of that 300k+ group.

And if it is indeed anywhere near 85% that would be amazing.

Well, we'll find out how everything goes in a few months really. I'll be watching from the outside in, but I really wish you all luck with SWTOR and that it becomes just what you want. I also decided that I don't think I like sci fi mmo's, despite loving Star Wars. :p

At the highest it is 85% but as shown the numbers are misleading and could be anywhere from 85% and below.

I will say having 2 million people want to play the game is something but alot of it has to do with other factor then the game itself. things like it is made by bioware and is star wars and is a new MMO and has been hyped for its budget and the years in the making.

Yes you are also correct in that alot of people want to stay around in the game. This is also because that many people are just totally displeased and fed up with WoW, they spent 60 bucks on it that its a star wars MMO.

You praise bioware for being a great company but you dont expect them to deliver a finished product? If this was a new company that has never developed a game before and had a budget of 10 million to make the game and had 6 months to do it then yes I would consider the game a success so far.

But its from a large company that has many years of experiance and many games already under their belt . These types of companies should have the knowledge skill and financial to not have 90% of the bugs and other issues that the game has.

I dont really know much about bioware and how many MMO's they have done if any but they have done games before and most of the issues are in design and not because its actually an MMO.

Its like if ferrari desided to start making trucks. Would you accept them calling their first truck a huge success because it had a better launch that the model-T. Would you accept small error that appear to be from a lack of detail. Would you accept it getting 1 mile per 12 gallons because they used an engine that from the looks of it doesnt actual work with the truck.

Would you expect that company to do test runs themselves to find errors and correct them before it was released to the public.

Would you be voicing you opinion if they came out and called their product a huge success while your sitting in a repair shop getting it fixed.

Thats why I am insulted that they have the balls to act like they have the perfect product and everyone is happy with it while it is clear that many are not.

I don't know how many subs are active now, but I can see how many active players logs in the game on the last weekend - about 1500-2500 per server. Well, there is about 215 servers, so we have about - 2500 x 215 = 537.5k active players on the weekend (peak of the activity!) in the most optimistic way.

I guess this game will have about 500k active subs untill ME3 release. And the subs will be decreasing. It really depends on the next patch on the march - how many subs will be canceled soon after the game with the same gameplay and the similar setting will be released. I think If the SWtOR still remain another good singleplaying game with some co-op features many people will not paying for that, but they will buy ME3 (like me :jawa_tongue:).

Gw2 kids are the best. They champion their game so hard in SWTOR threads, it makes me wonder if their half convincing themselves that the game will be as good as they want it to be. People never *********** learn. As for swtor its gonna be here for awhile, its gonna make EA and BW money and I can't wait to see where they take the game.