To save crafting we need item decay

Diazd

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather crafting die forever than something like this.

i completely agree!! Item decay was never a good idea. Mater of fact its such a bad idea that most games that had it have take it out!

FYI none of my gear comes from crafting i do NOT want to have to go back and roll against other troopers for gear i already have but they dont have just for i can have a back up set for when my set wears out!

i completely agree!! Item decay was never a good idea. Mater of fact its such a bad idea that most games that had it have take it out!

FYI none of my gear comes from crafting i do NOT want to have to go back and roll against other troopers for gear i already have but they dont have just for i can have a back up set for when my set wears out!

Dude this is about making crafting useful again. Giving crafters something to do other than nothing.

Why? With a few tweaks to the rest of the game, crafters will be valued and needed constantly. Item decay assures that old and new players are coming back to you their favorite crafter for all their needs.

Stop screaming "NO" to item decay and hear me out.

First, remove those pesky equipment commendation vendors. It was a nice try BW, but you have essentially made crafters useless. Keep the comms and mod comm vendors though, you will see why shortly.

Second, all weapons and armor are given a decay amount dependent on their color type. Items can be repaired, but only a percentage of its life is restored before it inevitably hits the Max decay and is broken.

Third, heroics and operations drop schematics instead of actual weapons and armor. The trick is that schematic becomes bound to you and if you are not a crafter, a crafter through a new feature in the trade window can make your weapon for you as long as you give him the mats or if he already has them. So you never lose that cool piece of armor or wep. When it decays though, you will need a crafter to make it for you again.

Fourth, crafters can reverse engineer any of their respective weapon or armor mods to make a better version.

Fifth, Warzone gear buys you the schematics same rules apply above from the heroic and operations. Warzone gear can also be reverse engineered to make a lesser stat unmoddable version to be sold to anyone who wants to buy.

Sixth, all armor can have their heavy, medium, and light status switched to whatever you want by a crafter.

Seventh, mods decay too, but can be repaired back to 100%, by new weapon or armor mod repair kits created by crafters or by the crafters themselves in trade.

Eighth, I don't know yet. Should implants decay?

Yup, I agree with you. I'm not a fan of gear that lasts forever, maybe with some truly epic pieces, but not with the entire item base.

To save crafting, we need more than maybe 2 professions that are worth a damn at endgame.

Item decay in a loot driven game like this screams fail.

Why does it scream fail? Think about it. What is the point of crafting? To craft things. If something only needs to be crafted once then the crafter is not going to get a return customer for that item ever again.

Aside from Biochem, crafting and the need for crafters is pretty much dead. Why have armor and weapon crafting at all?

Synth/Armormech - 136 BoP schematics and pieces with Augment Slots

Artifice - 126 BoP relics with Augment Slots, potentially 136 Enhancements

Cybertech - 136 BoP Earpieces with Augment Slots, potentially 136 Mods/Armorings

Armstech - LoL

All of them can be used to gear alts, companions, or sell to help other people do such things.

Items already decay and I pay a vendor to repair the stuff. No, I don't want to have to start paying you to fix my stuff. I earn items from playing. No, I don't want to pay you for items instead of earning it. I don't want to "have" to give you anything at all in order to enjoy the game. Edited by Derfmiolleh

Square-Enix tried putting item repairs in the hands of crafters in FFXIV, and it wasn't very well received by players.

I for one enjoyed it. There was a guy on our server, he had every craft maxed out. He was always in the crafting area repairing items for people. It wasn't long before most of the players on the server relied on his repairs on a daily basis.

It's a cool concept having items break or decay, or only be repairable by crafters with the right skill level. But the instant gratification crowd will never approve.

Edited by Mikeni

Items with a lifespan are a nuisance. Know why people like Biochem so much? REUSABLE stims/medpacks. Even though buying them is a trivial cost, the idea of something permanent is a powerful. Similarly, the idea of them being temporary is also powerful, but not in a good way.

Give professions more desirable consumables.