Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

R.I.P Physics: How Bioware butchered Netwon

ninurtacig

The problem is you weren't making your point clearly. You had a muddled explanation and in the middle you said something about the distance between the person and elevator from an outside observer. Yes, from an outside observers point of view the person in the elvator is moving down , but only from the outside observers perspective. The perspective of an outside observer is in fact pointless to this discussion. The original poster made the claim that jumping in an elevator and jumping on the ground are the same thing.

To sum up,

Newtons laws of physics act the same way in all intertial frames.

The earth is very very close to an intertial frame. (Look up the Coriolis force if you want to know why it isn't but it's close enough to not matter.)

The elevator is not accelerating, so it is exactly an intertial frame.

Therefore, there is no difference between jumping in the elevator and jumping on the ground.

To one of your points in this post.

"Even if you are a super hero, according to the outside observer, there is no way you can move up?"

You actually could if you could push off of the elevator strong enough to achieve escape velocity.

Yes I know all of those things, I know it is the same from the persons point of view. I was only arguing because you made it sound that there is no possible way it could ever happen to where a object can move UP. Even if they jump at the speed of light. It is just the way you sounded that made it seem impossible under any circumstances.

I was arguing that if you wrote the problem down on a pen and paper, you can end up with a upward force value that would achieve the result the person was experiencing.

Even with a constant speed elevator, there has got to be a force value to achieve this in calculation right?

That is what I was arguing. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is getting derailed by "wellz lightsaberz break physx too! lolz" nonsense.

Yes, there are things in Star Wars that aren't 100% real-world physics compliant. However, in watching any Star Wars material ever, gravity isn't one of them. Gravity appears to be "earth-like" in every planet visited in Star Wars. Thus, there's no reason for this elevator physics-conflict BS. I should not be able to hurt myself by jumping in an elevator. The problem in this game is the gravity mechanic is very wrong, it's just that the elevator is the most obvious example of it. However, jumping and falling also work very very strangely if you watch closely.

This should get tweaked.

Yeah...didn't cost you any repair bill. Fall damage doesn't cause durability loss. Or at least as far as I could tell by falling from top to bottom during the SOA encounter....no durability loss and I have fell off long drops before and nothing changed outside of an instance.

yeah i hate them netwon laws... dam real life stops my real lightsaber from working

actually thats just our understanding of physics and light that is stopping that from happening nothing to do with newtons laws...

on topic, physics and newtons law is bound by the constraints of the gravity and can be easily affected by other forces...ie applying the brakes.

that said a plane in free fall will at some point reach a point where there is no gravity, nasa do this to do certain tests inside our own atmosphere. completely blows newtons law out the water by manipulation of other forces.

but ye jumping onto an elevator 1 foot below you should not cause 4k damage...maybe a twisted ankle, or a broken leg if your carrying that much junk in your bags. i hate to see it but those speeders are rather heavy and we run around all day with them hiding in a bag....gotta love applying real physics to a game.

Newton's First Law:

Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

This is a physical law, and Bioware has violated it in the most horrific way.

Here is a test: go to a lift in game getting ready to move down, once it starts moving jump up and see what happens.

You stay in the same place and actually move up from the point of the jump while the elevator falls out beneath you. This has cost me many a repair bill!

IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY!!! When your in an elevator in real life and jump up you dont suddenly smash against the roof.

If your in a plane traveling at 500 mph and you jump in the aisle do you wind up smashing out the tail of the plane?

NO! This is because of Newton's first law. The motion you are in because of the vehicle you are travelling in does not suddenly disappear because a small vector of force goes in the other direction.

The only way Bioware's version of physics could possibly work is if when we jump we some how convert into a light wave travelling at C.

Really, needing to appeal to special relativity and magical mass energy conversations to RETCON this horrible physics is just absurd.

I demand a fix.

You are complaining about physics in a video game. Let alone a STAR WARS game.

You are new to this aren't you?

that said a plane in free fall will at some point reach a point where there is no gravity, nasa do this to do certain tests inside our own atmosphere. completely blows newtons law out the water by manipulation of other forces.
Zero-G plane rides actually use classical mechanics. That's how they work. They don't contradict Newton's laws at all.

Zero-G plane rides actually use classical mechanics. That's how they work. They don't contradict Newton's laws at all.

Maybe there should be forum rule that states you're not allowed to post things about physics if you've never studied physics? Would save us both a lot of time.

Lol..... let’s bring physics into a game where beams of projected energy somehow stop a blades length from the handle……

Honestly…… there are so many things I’d like to see polished in game before the lift physics.

Newton's First Law:

Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

This is a physical law, and Bioware has violated it in the most horrific way.

Here is a test: go to a lift in game getting ready to move down, once it starts moving jump up and see what happens.

You stay in the same place and actually move up from the point of the jump while the elevator falls out beneath you. This has cost me many a repair bill!

IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY!!! When your in an elevator in real life and jump up you dont suddenly smash against the roof.

If your in a plane traveling at 500 mph and you jump in the aisle do you wind up smashing out the tail of the plane?

NO! This is because of Newton's first law. The motion you are in because of the vehicle you are travelling in does not suddenly disappear because a small vector of force goes in the other direction.

The only way Bioware's version of physics could possibly work is if when we jump we some how convert into a light wave travelling at C.

Really, needing to appeal to special relativity and magical mass energy conversations to RETCON this horrible physics is just absurd.

I demand a fix.

you're complaining that a starwars video game doesn't follow the law of physics?

I must agree with the OP though, the lack of realism in this game is quite appalling. For instance Force Lightning should never work in the vicinity of buildings because if they followed EU laws there should be a lightning rod installed everywhere. Also if a person has a burning DoT on him he shouldn't be able to wield clothes or wield a weapon for a while because 3rd degree burns are this severe. Also if a person dies you should have a narrow window for defib or have to move it to a morgue for autopsy.

So instead of not jumping while on elevators since you know there is an issue, you're going to unsubscribe? This makes absolutely no sense. There is never a reason that you need to jump up down on an elevator so why do you keep doing it knowing you'll take damage. Yes, it is a bug that should be addressed, but game breaking it is not. Edited by theborch

Personally, I'm shocked and horrified that the game is ignoring basic biological laws by not making my character seek out port-a-potties hidden in the wilderness of every world.

Forget datacrons, a jumping minigame to find bathroom tissue would be far more realistic.

...but what happens if you jump during hyperspace jump???

<SPLOSH>

Your brain just exploded.

I dont think "Netwon" quite got this far with his theory of gravity.

I bet you never have heard of tachyon??

but inposable to humans, nor spaceships or machines.

you will be compressed so long, so thin you just will die, or the machine get destroyed.

Edited by abishe

Really...REALLY? This CANNOT be real, this MUST be a troll. It's an MMO, NOT A PHYSICS GAME. If Bioware got one aspect, or hell, hundreds of aspects of physics wrong, if they butcher them then im sure they'll apologize for .001% of their population that gives have a crap.

If this is what the community has come down to complaining about, then id say the game is going well.

No, with constant speed I am moving also in the direction of my surroundings, so it is like jumping on solid ground. Go take more lessons in physics before trying to argue with me about that.

The only way to gain distance between yourself and an elevator going down would be if you jumped and the elevator accelerated after the jump. Thus, proving what you're saying about a change in relative velocities.

On the other hand; I've died to an elevator that was moving faster than my character was falling before. Which, could theoretically happen if it were moving faster than the character's terminal velocity, but why would someone invent that?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.