Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

R.I.P Physics: How Bioware butchered Netwon

ninurtacig

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This trolling has brought to light a bias towards people who ABSOLUTELY must obey their compulsion to jump while on an elevator. This game punishes them unnecessarily.

Those of you who can resist your spacebar's siren song will be ok.

There is 0, none, nada, zip, zilch, etc difference in any way whatsoever between jumping on flat ground, and jumping on an elevator, from the actor's p.o.v. None.

If the elevator is moving with constant velocity. And even if it's accelerating, for the "actor" the only difference would be a perceived increase or decrease in gravity.

But I guess you probably know that, I just felt like being pedantic. :)

Newton's First Law:

Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

This is a physical law, and Bioware has violated it in the most horrific way.

Here is a test: go to a lift in game getting ready to move down, once it starts moving jump up and see what happens.

You stay in the same place and actually move up from the point of the jump while the elevator falls out beneath you. This has cost me many a repair bill!

IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY!!! When your in an elevator in real life and jump up you dont suddenly smash against the roof.

If your in a plane traveling at 500 mph and you jump in the aisle do you wind up smashing out the tail of the plane?

NO! This is because of Newton's first law. The motion you are in because of the vehicle you are travelling in does not suddenly disappear because a small vector of force goes in the other direction.

The only way Bioware's version of physics could possibly work is if when we jump we some how convert into a light wave travelling at C.

Really, needing to appeal to special relativity and magical mass energy conversations to RETCON this horrible physics is just absurd.

I demand a fix.

When I ride elevators in real life, I like to shoot lightning out of my hands.

How did this give you a repair bill?

I have jumped off the VIP section on fleet an fall-killed myself at least 50 times, not once did a fall-kill ever damage my equipment or my companions for that matter.

I'm pretty sure falling to your death doesn't damage your armor. Even with level 50 armor, it should only cost 1-50 credits to repair it. OP must have jumped off the VIP zone about 50,000 times.

Um...I know you're upset, but you're actually wrong. If you are on an elevator and it is going down and you jump up with sufficient force to counteract the elevator's momentum, it is theoretically possible to hurt yourself on the landing depending on how far the elevator traveled down before you landed.

In other words, if you jump high enough on an open elevator, you can hurt yourself from the fall.

Only if the elevator is accelerating (either starting/stopping) during the jump/landing. if it's travelling down at a constant speed the entire duration, then the chances of hurting yourself jumping is the same as hurting yourself jump on solid ground... because relatively speaking, that's exactly what you did.

Thank you BW for breaking the laws of physics.

I'm happily kicking 2 ton animals in their jangles with such inhuman force that it actually lifts them up 2 ft in the air.

Forget the force, my dirty kick has more kick power than Chun Li.

You know you're kicking with some juice when you kick a droid in the package and that stuns it.

Newton's First Law:

Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

Here is a test: go to a lift in game getting ready to move down, once it starts moving jump up and see what happens.

You stay in the same place and actually move up from the point of the jump while the elevator falls out beneath you. This has cost me many a repair bill!

IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY!!! When your in an elevator in real life and jump up you dont suddenly smash against the roof.

If your in a plane traveling at 500 mph and you jump in the aisle do you wind up smashing out the tail of the plane?

NO! This is because of Newton's first law. The motion you are in because of the vehicle you are travelling in does not suddenly disappear because a small vector of force goes in the other direction.

The only way Bioware's version of physics could possibly work is if when we jump we some how convert into a light wave travelling at C.

Really, needing to appeal to special relativity and magical mass energy conversations to RETCON this horrible physics is just absurd.

I demand a fix.

Ever try to bend light into a finite beam? How do lightsabers do this without gravity? Gaw. This game sooo dumb.

I have taken 5 physics classes so I have a minor in Physics.

You do not move in the direction of your surroundings, you move based on the forces that interact with you. There is a horizontal corridor, yet you constantly have a downwards force applied to you known as Gravity. The corridor applies the normal force so you do not go toward the earth.

And as long as the elevator is not accelerating there is no difference to standing on solid ground, only in the moment there is some accelerating it changes the stuff, go read about the theory of relativity, because it seems like you missed at least that.

If a hole magically appeared under me, I would fall. I do not move in the direction of my surroundings. You always move down unless you apply another force to you.

If the elevator is traveling at 10 meters per second, and you are some super hero that can jump with a velocity of 50 meters per second, you will have a MASSIVE gap between you and the elevator when gravity overtakes your jumping force.

10 meters per second is pretty fast for an elevator, nearly no elevator really goes that fast. And then I assumed since we talk about some realism here, that one can assume that no super-human beings are involved, just normal jumping.

Edited by Drudenfusz

Don't bother. He'll keep saying the same incorrect thing over and over again.

You know they did teach us more than one thing in the class, so this topic might be one that I had trouble with. It does not mean I have brain damage or anything, or that I failed a class. He started it with that crappy attitude. So I went into rage mode and I apologize.

In the case I was making, the outside observer means everything in this example. Because, realistically, if you jump in an elevator you are still moving down from the outside observer correct?

There is no way to apply enough force to move upwards according to the outside observer? If I am missing something here, I would like to know. It has been several years since I had the relativity topic in the classes, and I do not do physics on a daily basis, so I am sorry if I am missing something here.

Take a look at the outside observer, when a person jumps they are still moving down right?

Even if you are a super hero, according to the outside observer, there is no way you can move up?

Do not say the outside observer means nothing, when it actually does when you compare both scenarios.

EDIT: I know it is not humanly possible, but there has to be a force value that will allow you to do this (super human jumper perhaps).

Edited by Nighthawked

You know they did teach us more than one thing in the class, so this topic might be one that I had trouble with. It does not mean I have brain damage or anything, or that I failed a class. He started it with that crappy attitude. So I went into rage mode and I apologize.

In the case I was making, the outside observer means everything in this example. Because, realistically, if you jump in an elevator you are still moving down from the outside observer correct?

There is no way to apply enough force to move upwards according to the outside observer? If I am missing something here, I would like to know. It has been several years since I had the relativity topic in the classes, and I do not do physics on a daily basis, so I am sorry if I am missing something here.

Take a look at the outside observer, when a person jumps they are still moving down right?

Even if you are a super hero, according to the outside observer, there is no way you can move up?

Do not say the outside observer means nothing, when it actually does when you compare both scenarios.

The problem is you weren't making your point clearly. You had a muddled explanation and in the middle you said something about the distance between the person and elevator from an outside observer. Yes, from an outside observers point of view the person in the elvator is moving down , but only from the outside observers perspective. The perspective of an outside observer is in fact pointless to this discussion. The original poster made the claim that jumping in an elevator and jumping on the ground are the same thing.

To sum up,

Newtons laws of physics act the same way in all intertial frames.

The earth is very very close to an intertial frame. (Look up the Coriolis force if you want to know why it isn't but it's close enough to not matter.)

The elevator is not accelerating, so it is exactly an intertial frame.

Therefore, there is no difference between jumping in the elevator and jumping on the ground.

To one of your points in this post.

"Even if you are a super hero, according to the outside observer, there is no way you can move up?"

You actually could if you could push off of the elevator strong enough to achieve escape velocity.

[EDIT]

I'd have to think about it more to figure out if it's possible in other cases, but it's definitely true for escape velocity.

[EDIT AGAIN]

Ok, thought about it some more. :) Imagine the elevator moving down at 1m/s. If you were able to jump in the elevator at 2m/s you would in fact look like you were moving up from the outside observers perspective because you just subtract the two vectors, and it's positive.

Edited by jappenzeller

EDIT: I know it is not humanly possible, but there has to be a force value that will allow you to do this (super human jumper perhaps).

Actually, to an outside observer, pretty much every normal human jumping in an elevator would move up. Not much, but it would be up. Elevators aren't very fast. If we assume that the person in question has a 30" vertical (76.2 cm), then they jump with a velocity of ~3.9 m/s. There are a LOT of elevators that don't cover a full floor in a second, the one at my office being a prime example.

As such, if you jump on one such elevator, you will go up, even to an outside observer.

Given that MMO characters have significantly better verticals, they will almost always go up.

Newton's First Law:

I demand a fix.

I find it hilarious you actually think BW put this in intentionally. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.