The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bounty Hunter should have been the Imperial Agent

zombieturtle

In terms of play style.

So this is just my observation, I don't expect anyone to agree with it, and that is fine.

I was really disappointed how the BH played, I've always imagined Bounty Hunters to be clever assassins, not in your face warriors.

So I went BH anyways, almost solely for RP reasons, because like many people, I am a sucker for bounty hunters in the Star Wars universe.

I was really bothered by how the BH played, I leveled him to 12, and I just couldn't do it anymore. I felt like a Mech Warrior with an unlimited amount of wrist missiles and flamethrowing. It was boring, and extremely tedious.

I then went Imperial Agent and loved it. It pretty much played exactly as I thought a BH should play. Cover, sniper rifle, poison, cloak, etc.

I think all of the Bounty Hunter's iconic weapons could have been converted to this style of gameplay. The BH could enter cover by flying to cover rather than rolling. AOE grenade would be a AOE missile. Flame thrower would be an AOE defense ability similar to what the sniper has. Grapple rope could stun and pull an enemy down to the ground.

(If you are curious what would mirror the Trooper class, I would say an Imperial Droid class or Dark trooper/Sith Trooper)

Edited by zombieturtle

What about Bobba Fett, Jango Fett, Bossk, IG Whatever, or any other Bounty Hunter in Star Wars made you think it was like a stealthy assassin type? In the movies they wore heavy armor and such.

I like the current implementation of both classes.

+1, second post

The only reason I can begin to think why a BH would be the loyal instead of the Me want Moneh is to mirror the Trooper's fantasy.

That way the cover/burst classes are the Idgaf about the faction, I want money, and the heavy armor 3-role can be the loyal

But no, Bounty Hunters just want money. You think he cared about killing Han in ep. VI? No, he didn't even know who he was chasing; He just wanted money.

Well, not really. The BHs as depicted in the movies are definitely captured by the BH design, the Fetts, Bossk, Dengar. But my favorite bounty hunter of the EU, Cad Bane, would be an Imperial Gunslinger, if there was such a thing. The small number of classes can't fill all the roles. Here's to hoping for more classes in the future.

The only reason I can begin to think why a BH would be the loyal instead of the Me want Moneh is to mirror the Trooper's fantasy.

But no, Bounty Hunters just want money. You think he cared about killing Han in ep. VI? No, he didn't even know who he was chasing; He just wanted money.

The first thing I said was "In terms of play style"

Not in terms of story or personality.

• 6 months later...
What about Bobba Fett, Jango Fett, Bossk, IG Whatever, or any other Bounty Hunter in Star Wars made you think it was like a stealthy assassin type? In the movies they wore heavy armor and such.

I like the current implementation of both classes.

Cad Bane?

He's a bounty hunter, if you don't know who he is check him up

• 2 weeks later...
Cad Bane?

He's a bounty hunter, if you don't know who he is check him up

That's the exception to the rule, and he existed in the Clone Wars (3,000 years after the game).

The Bounty Hunter mechanics are like they are because they follow the Mandalorian lore. Mandalorians wore heavy armor and used technological utility to their advantage. They're a hardy group with an in-your-face attitude concerning warfare.

The Imperial Agent mechanics are like they are because of the branch of the Imperial government they work for. Infilitration, espionage, and subversion play style all ring true to the branch's tactics. The Imperial Agents need to be mobile, and either secretly circumvent/subdue hostiles, or strike them from beyond their own range.

I think the two classes play exactly like they need to for the era and subject of Star Wars lore they represent. Remember, the Clone Wars was only a very small part of the total Star Wars lore, and that's where most people seem to get hung up.

I have to agree with the OP in the sense that there are some things that the imperial agent has that could easily be transferred to the bounty hunter and still fit well with the class. For example, rifles, the corrosive dart, frag grenade, sleep dart, and corrosive grenade. And if mercs were able to enter cover with some bonuses akin to the sniper, that would also fit the class. But I also understand that people like variety and it is therefore great to have 2 non force using starter classes per faction. On top of that the two classes have to have different move sets to feel distinct.

In the end, I am pretty happy with my Bounty Hunter fearlessly entering battle with a large assortment of mechanized weapons and my agent sneaking around tactically to plunge that vibroknife into the opponent and incapacitate many others.

as are the other BHs mentioned in previous posts

the issue isn't cannon IMO...it's game design. The reasons the OP posts are RP based, and would be best served in a more sandbox style game (where you could build your version of the "bounty hunter")

personally, I always thought that the BH was really a 'whatever goes' kind of person...similar to a smuggler, but from a different perspective. Smuggler uses what he needs to get the job done (which is smuggling goods). a BH does the same, but his job involves...well, hunting bounties. really, this could be anything from the full armored mandalorian wanna-be to the gunslinging leather clad cowboy look. but the game wasn't' designed around that flexibility. so they chose to go the "mandalorian" emphasis (with the boba-fett style). simple game mechanics decision.

it's the same reason a smuggler looks like Han solo , even though a smuggler could easily wear a few pieces of ancient mandalorian gear that he acquired during his travels, and it would probably benefit him depending on where he tended to smuggle stuff. that would work well in something a bit more sandbox, but this isn't one of those games.

given the limitations of the game design, I feel they did pretty good...the BH feels very much like a battle ready mercenary with a set of tools that are used (and probably coveted...and hidden) by the merc community in general. the Agent feels very much like a Special Ops soldier combined with a spy. not too shabby IMO.

• 2 months later...
That's the exception to the rule, and he existed in the Clone Wars (3,000 years after the game).

The Bounty Hunter mechanics are like they are because they follow the Mandalorian lore. Mandalorians wore heavy armor and used technological utility to their advantage. They're a hardy group with an in-your-face attitude concerning warfare.

The Imperial Agent mechanics are like they are because of the branch of the Imperial government they work for. Infilitration, espionage, and subversion play style all ring true to the branch's tactics. The Imperial Agents need to be mobile, and either secretly circumvent/subdue hostiles, or strike them from beyond their own range.

I think the two classes play exactly like they need to for the era and subject of Star Wars lore they represent. Remember, the Clone Wars was only a very small part of the total Star Wars lore, and that's where most people seem to get hung up.

Necroing this post but there is a lot of more Bounty Hunters that do NOT use armor.

- Calo Nord

- Cade Skywalker

- Aurra Sing

- Jagged Fel

- Cad Bane

- Zam Wesell (another trenchcoat wearing Bounty Hunter)

- Breela

- Mira (From Kotor)

- Vossk

- Hulas

And the list goes on.

The point I'm trying to make is that Boba and Jango Fett are the two individuals (with a couple of others) that actually are the EXCEPTION. Having a heavy armor has nothing to do with being a Bounty Hunter.

The sole reason that Boba and Jango has Mandalorian armor is because Jango lead the mandalorians and when Mace Windu killed Jango, Boba took over and carried on his heritage but this again has nothing to do with being a bounty hunter.

A bounty hunter is someone who... collects bounties, either bringing ppl in or killing them. They are hired mercenaries. Their choice of weapons and armor and implants etc has no standard. Aurra Sing is a sniper and a expert martial artist who also have cyborg parts, for example she has a built in headset in her head. She wears a top, a vest, pants and boots. Equipped with 2 pistols, various grenades and a sniper rifle.

Bioware modeled the Bounty Hunter after Boba and Jango because they did so also with all other classes, making references to the movies however in the Bounty Hunter class this was a extremely boring decision. Luckily enough for us the BH's can use all armor so you can use trenchcoats and etc from medium armor.

Although the smuggler hat SHOULD have been also for Bounty Hunters. Why should it be for Bounty Hunter? Because Cad Bane is a bounty hunter and because the space cowboy look in Star Wars IS from Cad Bane.

Bounty Hunters come in all shape and forms but in TOR they are unfortunately shafted into the Mandalorian "Great Hunt" thing and that's a shame because if anything Bounty Hunters is versatile. Every damn BH have all different kind of skills and knowledge. Some are more brute force and some are more about agility and stealth.

Jango and Boba is only 2 of the many different bounty hunters. You my friend have to stop being a tool and realise that Jango and Boba is not the only 2 bounty hunters in the star wars saga, those i mentioned are only a handful of many successful known BH's.

Stop being a tool and start using your imagination. if you were a BH what would be your choice of equipment, weapons? Mine would be a trenchcoat to hide my weapons in, hidden blades, hidden gun and blade strapped to my boot, and my speciality would be silenced pistols, resourcefulness, hand to hand combatant and planning.

Edited by redsovereign

It's because they drew inspiration

To be honest the game is not meant to interest only fanbois who know all this star wars lore. They've seen the movies. They think smuggler, they think persuasive rogue Han Solo in his Vest, or heavy armored Boba and his jetpack. Evil armored vader and choke, or robed, corrupt sidious with lightning.

I'm sure you can think of many Sith Warrior type people with robes, and vice versa with the lightning people. But the mainstream thought of each of those roles from a moderate star wars fan basing assumptions on the movies portrays the classes as they are now.

It's because they drew inspiration

To be honest the game is not meant to interest only fanbois who know all this star wars lore. They've seen the movies. They think smuggler, they think persuasive rogue Han Solo in his Vest, or heavy armored Boba and his jetpack. Evil armored vader and choke, or robed, corrupt sidious with lightning.

I'm sure you can think of many Sith Warrior type people with robes, and vice versa with the lightning people. But the mainstream thought of each of those roles from a moderate star wars fan basing assumptions on the movies portrays the classes as they are now.

I know and I agree but I think that they should expand on this esp through the Cartel Market. They have put up 2 smuggler coats so far in the Cartel Market and that is a good start but they should expand on this idea and make more looks availible for both sides.

Why for example can't Jedi's have a robe that looks something like the Juggernauts (might be marauders) Black Talon robe? That would look great just as an example. There is reasoning around some of the gear choices but some of the classes could be expanded on.

The more customization options the better and esp when they can charge for the pieces on the market there is no reason not to start opening up the game. And as you said "they modeled after characters in the movies" so why is Cad Bane's the Bounty Hunters outfit for smugglers. THAT MAKES SENSE xD