Those of you with SSD's, what are your planetary load times?

Phaedrynn

I recently bought an SSD. I used to see 2-3 minutes load times for big planets like Tatooine, but now no load screen is longer than 20 seconds.

I'm a bit puzzled how other people are seeing no difference at all.

Probably because we didn't have 2-3 minute load times to begin with. My load times were never more than 20 sec or so with my old drive.

Just read page 1, but since we are on the topic: I'm not a Network wiz but I have noticed that, when playing at really off peak hours with much fewer people online, the loading screen to a new planet is significantly faster than when zoning in at peak population times? If anyone could share a succinct idiot proof explanation I'd appreciate it. Mind you, it doesn't bother me that much, I am just curious how number of online users affect loading screen times.

The loading bar is:

[middle]

With an SSD, the left bit is almost instant, the middle bit glacially slow, and the right bit varies.

Sadly, I think the middle bit is server comms - so having an SSD doesn't really help :(.

Yeah there's somethign happening (or not happening) server side here which is extending loading screens massively.

I had the game on my WD Raptor 600gb. The planet loading screens took about 15s I think, never more and never less. That's off the top of my head, but am pretty sure that's close to it.

I've since moved the entire game to my 120gb SSD.

The loading times for planets haven't changed at all. Or, if they have, it's imperceptible. So if my load times are 'quick', then I don't know what I am doing that makes it so.

Like anyone else though, the bar zips to about a third, or whatever it is, and stays there for the most amount of time, before finishing the rest of the bar.

The game takes ~8 or so seconds to load in from scratch.

Everything else is under 4, give or take. Put it this way - If I have any other loads (planets or otherwise) I don't even notice them. But then again, I just bought a brand new system so take it for what it is worth.

Came here for Super Star Destroyers, leaving disappointed.

*gives you a T-Shirt with a picture of the Executor on it*

Happy? ;)

Pointless trivia: ISDs (Imperial Star Destroyer) were 1.6km long (1 mile!), and SSDs were supposedly 8km long (5x the length of ISDs). :]

System specs:

2600k @ 3.4GHz

8GB Corsair Vengeance

2x HD 6870s

120GB Intel X-25M

SWTOR is installed on the SSD with my OS.

All from my ship:

Fleet: 6 seconds

Belsavis: 28 seconds

Alderaan: 33 seconds

Voss: 24 seconds

My old Lenovo T410s had a slow 1.8" drive and it would take 4-5 minutes to load a planet. My new T420s has an Intel SSD and is more along the lines of my desktop.

Edited by iain_b

*gives you a T-Shirt with a picture of the Executor on it*

Happy? ;)

Pointless trivia: ISDs (Imperial Star Destroyer) were 1.6km long (1 mile!), and SSDs were supposedly 8km long (5x the length of ISDs). :]

Yaaaaaaaay! Thanks! :D

*runs off to show off to his Mandalorian friends*

There was a lot of posts that even RAID composition of SSDs gives you zero benefint in loading screens.

Sorry but that's not true in my case with my OCZ Agility 3. My average loading times are 15 seconds unless you're talking about tatooine or quesh (spelling ?) it's about 25 seconds there. Much faster than my normal HDD anyway.