The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

hi everyone. just wanted to say that I cancelled 2 accounts. and my friend that I brought over from rift... is going back to RIFT <says a lot.

oh well. you guys enjoy what should have been much better. The customer service is atrocious too.

We will enjoy, no worries.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't we deal with these issues yesterday?

Go play if ya like the game, go away if ya don't.

If you want to post suggestions or critical analysis there s a place to do it.

If you are at work and love the game, combat the trolls at will!

If you are an Activision employee... no, your company will never be the big dog, EA has you owned.

That is not to say I am an EA fan over Activision, I don't care, I play games I enjoy playing regardless of creator or financeer. However I don't like smear campaigns and I truly believe that Blizz/Act had a huge hand in the SW:TOR smear campaign. Blizz needs to focus on D3 and a new MMO with new standards and let WoW die a peaceful death, but not smear the competitors. Beat them if you can, but do it with your game, not with panda's and bad-mouthing the others' games.

I can't answer the first because it depends on the game's cost, etc. As for the second, if you have your credit information on file (whether in your free month or not), you're counted in the total. If you don't have your credit information filed in your account, you are not counted in the 1.7 million.

TY to the other person who answered my question as well, can't quote you both.Is that a viable way of getting true accurate numbers? Judging by people active that looks like a good sign, yeah!

I doubt THAT many people got this game as a gift and never even tried it.

How many Collector's Editions were there? I wonder if a lot were purchased with the hope of selling them at a premium later.

There could be a lot of reasons. Gifts are a big one I think (upcoming birthday present). I've bought (and downloaded) games in the past and not looked at them for months. Actually I still have one or two that are still in the plastic.

Didn't we deal with these issues yesterday?

Go play if ya like the game, go away if ya don't.

If you want to post suggestions or critical analysis there s a place to do it.

If you are at work and love the game, combat the trolls at will!

If you are an Activision employee... no, your company will never be the big dog, EA has you owned.

That is not to say I am an EA fan over Activision, I don't care, I play games I enjoy playing regardless of creator or financeer. However I don't like smear campaigns and I truly believe that Blizz/Act had a huge hand in the SW:TOR smear campaign. Blizz needs to focus on D3 and a new MMO with new standards and let WoW die a peaceful death, but not smear the competitors. Beat them if you can, but do it with your game, not with panda's and bad-mouthing the others' games.

I agree with you 100% sir.

There could be a lot of reasons. Gifts are a big one I think (upcoming birthday present). I've bought (and downloaded) games in the past and not looked at them for months. Actually I still have one or two that are still in the plastic.

And as I've mentioned early, in order to play the game when you first buy it, you have to enter in your subscription plan. You could then immediately cancel that plan and still be playing for the first 30 days because they are free. Those people do not have active subscriptions yet could be still playing the game. It's possible they just didn't want to be auto-billed when the 30 days was up and wanted to evaluate after the 30 days whether or not they wanted to pay for the next month.

What's striking to me is that in every single phase of testing there would be a new running poll, and almost always about 85% of the people polled always liked the game despite it's obvious flaws, and no matter how many people took the poll. Seems almost too much to be coincidental.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter was bullish about the sales and subscription numbers, suggesting that of the 1.7 million active subscribers figure, between 900,000 and 1.2 million were paying subscribers as of Jan. 31, while the remainder were trial subscriptions. Pachter believes that, worst case, 900,000 of the 1.2 million purchasers (through Dec. 31) converted to paying subscriptions (about 75%), while best case, 1.2 million out of 1.5 million purchasers converted (about 80%). The changing purchasers figure (through Dec. 31) is based on differing estimates of when people actually picked up the game.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2012/02/02/star-wars-the-old-republic-nears-two-million-active-subscriber-mark/#ixzz1lF5kcriq

That is nothing but an analysts guess. Stop quoting it like it is fact.

TY to the other person who answered my question as well, can't quote you both.Is that a viable way of getting true accurate numbers? Judging by people active that looks like a good sign, yeah!

It's neither accurate or accurate, I guess. At best, they've said "most" of the 1.7 million are paying. Though technically, 51% would still be most. There's an estimate by an analyst (to be taken with a grain of salt) that says anywhere from 80-90% of the figure are paying.

Edited by Dezzi

...now lets see that stats for how many people left this flaming pile of excrement after the 1.1 patch.

Right, because no other mmo has had a patch that screwed up a zone or planet and then fixed it as soon as able...

I mean really dude, learn patience and understanding and stop reacting like a 5 year old.

Frank Gibeau:

Thanks Eric.

Today I’m going to take you through some highlights from our biggest games in Q3, including

some perspective on the launch and consumer experience with Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I’ll also take you through some of the games we intend to release this quarter to complete our

fiscal year.

I’ll begin with Battlefield 3 and FIFA 12, two games that prove that making bigger hits out of

fewer titles is a winning strategy.

With Battlefield 3, our DICE Studio in Stockholm nailed every objective we set – including our

goal of gaining share in First Person Shooters. In Q3 last year, EA held just 13 percent of the

lucrative Western FPS market. This year we captured an additional 11 points and rose to a 24

percent segment share – a big leap in our plan to retake leadership in FPS. Battlefield 3 sold

through more than 11 million units and kept consumers playing and paying with premium

downloadable content like the Back To Karkand expansion pack. Battlefield 3 is a global

blockbuster with an ambitious plan for more content and services in the months ahead.

Next is FIFA 12, a game from the EA SPORTS Studio in Burnaby, British Columbia, which also

broke through the ten million unit mark. The innovation that makes this franchise so unique is

FIFA Ultimate Team – a digital game extension that creates a massive online community where

football fans can build, manage and compete with their ultimate team. In just three months,

FIFA Ultimate Team generated $39 million in micro-transactions. That’s 69 percent more than

we generated in the same period last year.

Our third global blockbuster in the quarter was Star Wars: The Old Republic. You’ve heard all

the superlatives, the only thing I can add is BioWare/Austin has delivered a game that millions

of people are going to be playing for a very long time.

Let me offer some metrics on purchase and subscription that will help you understand this

business. As John stated, we have sold through two million units of the game since December.

We currently have a little over 1.7 million active subscribers. The rest have either not started

playing yet or have opted out.

Edited by Sireene
reply to deleted post

And as I've mentioned early, in order to play the game when you first buy it, you have to enter in your subscription plan. You could then immediately cancel that plan and still be playing for the first 30 days because they are free. Those people do not have active subscriptions yet could be still playing the game. It's possible they just didn't want to be auto-billed when the 30 days was up and wanted to evaluate after the 30 days whether or not they wanted to pay for the next month.

you should post in yellow more to make you think that your comments are worth more than others. btw I don't read any color text unless its a forum mod.

Which is exactly how this gamer does things. I always cancel after the subscription rolls over so I can avoid the auto-bill if I'm unsure about coming back.

Which is exactly how this gamer does things. I always cancel after the subscription rolls over so I can avoid the auto-bill if I'm unsure about coming back.

I've done it multiple times in the past with other MMOs as well. Which can easily explain a portion of that "missing" 300k.

if you can honestly say that you like this game, then i feel for you.

Honestly, I like this game. And I appreciate that you care enough to keep posting, but it's really not necessary.

Edited by daemian

This thread is difficult to read due to all the poo slinging. I proposed a question earlier but it didn't get answered. Can someone point out a post in this thread the explains this:

1) How much paid retention should an MMORPG have after X period of time

Only the game companies know their own rates. They rarely publish enough info for outsiders to really know. One study I Googled up estimated retention rates at 60% for one month, 40% for two months. Of course, that varies wildly between games, and WoW's earlier days and ability to hold players long term might have skewed that number upwards by a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if 25% longer-term retention is typical.

I have maintained from the start that a story-based, Star Wars MMO could be the greatest MMO ever made...for 6 months. After that it would depend on how quickly they could keep turning out new stories and content to keep the locusts--I mean players--satisfied. Nothing I have seen so far has changed my opinion.

I've come to realize that haters play their part. Irrational hatred for SWTOR has actually generated a lot of interest in the game.

What I'm trying to say is when you have a franchise this big, by a developer this big, in a genre this big, about intellectual property this big... and then there's a large community of people who, for whatever reason, absolutely HATE the game and make it their mission to make sure everyone who may/may not have played also hate it...

Well let's just say in this case, any publicity is good publicity.

Only the game companies know their own rates. They rarely publish enough info for outsiders to really know. One study I Googled up estimated retention rates at 60% for one month, 40% for two months. Of course, that varies wildly between games, and WoW's earlier days and ability to hold players long term might have skewed that number upwards by a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if 25% longer-term retention is typical.

I have maintained from the start that a story-based, Star Wars MMO could be the greatest MMO ever made...for 6 months. After that it would depend on how quickly they could keep turning out new stories and content to keep the locusts--I mean players--satisfied. Nothing I have seen so far has changed my opinion.

I'm loving my BH story, unfortunately I'm a healer first and foremost so I wanted to check the other AC up. It was too identical to level :( It's the exact same thing, I'll have to roll a jedi if I want to see it.