Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Best MMO PvP you ever played?

Lazyllama

Making this thread to find out what the player base thinks is the best MMO PvP they have played and why. I know I personally have played MMORPGs for a long time and the appeal for me specifically has always been the PvP aspect of it. Include this game if you like aspects of it but I am looking at a perspective of ALL MMORPGs. Ill try to be as specific and objective as I can in my descriptions.

Ill start with the World PvP and who wins in my opinion. Hands down in my book was Ultima Online, we are going OLD school here. You could mark runes to the popular areas where you were sure to find a fight that was safe from any guards and when a guildie called for help, you recall there and help him out. One guy gets jumped by 2 from an enemy guild so you call your guildies and 2 of them show up and you kill them so they call their guildies and 4 more show up and before you know it there was an all out war. Why was this possible? Because traveling from one point to another did not take 20 minutes and you could feasibly help your teammates out within 30 seconds or a significant amount of time to put yourself in the fight.

Other part of UO World PvP that was awesome, the fight for scrolls. Scrolls would increase your stats to higher levels ala data crons here. But in order to get scrolls you had to down bosses that had them on their corpse as loot, these bosses were located in neutral zones with no guards or safety available and would only spawn at specific times. This meant you would sometimes have 4 groups or more all competing for this loot at the same time, massive wars and people pushing in to get to the boss and then once they got there they had to hold off the other groups long enough to kill the boss AND loot it, because loot was open to anyone, and then get away because if you died with the loot on you, it dropped too. Massively fun world PvP and I have not played a game since that has done it better yet.

How did they do it? Easy travel to zones where PvP will be happening, something for the sides to battle over that they could hold in their hand and walk off with, or use right there on the spot if they needed to that EVERYONE had incentive to possess and would fight over. After all if you didn't need it you could sell it.

Competitive group PvP 2v2 or greater I would go with WoW not only did you have the option of arena if your group was low but your larger battlegrounds were/are more fluid. I think this game is currently very close to it but there are still obvious tweaks to it. However for me specifically I like having a rating system in place, that being said I do not believe that the guys that are the better players and can get the ratings to get the better gear should have very significant gains in the gear they can get. Make it minor, after all the guys who can get higher level gear in PvP are already solid players, there should be a gain to their efforts be in visually by showing off their e-peen or minor adjustments to stats or maybe even the ability to make or sell something of value that will give them a benefit or more credits.

1 on 1 PvP, I have to go with UO again but I have to add a very specific caveat to it. When I played UO there was a specific class that was sculpted out to play as a PvP class. So when I cast one thing an intelligent opponent would cast a counter if he was quick enough, and the fight became either outplaying your opponent entirely and beating them quick or being able to dwindle them down until you could finally score a kill. The top players were ALWAYS the top players and it was very tough to take them down because the 1 on 1 PvP was purely about timing and not class ability. I understand how this kind of thing is not possible with current MMOs because there are so many classes. Only way I could see this working is if there was always a counter to something any class had to do. Besides I think a game should be built around group PvP experience and not 1 on 1.

So there you have it my take on the best MMO PvP. I know I have seen plenty of people suggest games I have not even played. Have you guys had the same experience as me or were they completely different and the things I said were so far off base of what you enjoy I am a noob for even suggesting it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

The previous version of this thread exceeded our threshold for maximum thread length, so we have recreated it here to continue the conversation!

As a reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.

Our community's Rules of Conduct can be found here.

Thanks!

Age of Conan in the early days before everyone left and the servers merged. My guild used to lock down Keshetta for hours at a time by camping out of the entrance, forcing huge pvp battles against rival guilds. And then in Atzel's Approach on the way to the raid, we could camp out there on raid nights and take down guilds heading to kill the dragon.

Fun wise? Warhammer online. I've had a blast there, classes were unique and each felt different, yet both factions had all the same abilities, just different feel to them.

Skill cap wise? Mortal Online. Noobs stand no chance there, zerging does not help them at all and are either forced to PvE/crafting or change game. No other MMO had so high skill cap for pvp as Mortal did.

Rift, not because it was the most balanced but it was very inviting and got the player involved good and early. You could make a real difference even at lvl 10.

Rift was the worst PVP in any MMO ive ever seen.

Darkfall would be my #1 but I didnt play AC and UO, DAoC or Shadowbane which I hear were all very good.

Edited by lordgracy

I don't understand how people consider PVP where you don't risk losing anything "real PVP".

Imo they should introduce a random "risk factor" that piles up with losses, or whenever you fail at helping the team achieve objectives. Something like "if you die more than you kill, you stand a 20% chance at losing a random mod". Or even better, tie it to objectives.

Right now, I don't think calling it PVP is warranted if the worst case scenario is "ooops, have to respawn". As it stands, you only get rewarded for being good, but never risk losing anything if you suck.

WoW is the same, and so are 95% of MMOs.

Hello everyone,

The previous version of this thread exceeded our threshold for maximum thread length, so we have recreated it here to continue the conversation!

As a reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

[*]Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.

QUOTE]

and development teams should also be productive and not destructive... but we really don't see that happening with the warzone win fix do we?

3. AC-Darktide: pure chaotic fun

2. Warhammer: only 2 factions and the end game was messed up (IMHO). However the lower level instances were a blast.

1. Shadowbane: I don't really see how anything can come close to this. Large group sieges, small group mine fights (my favorite) and 1 on 1 skirmishing. Largest variety of class choices I have ever seen, BY FAR and they all had a role that contributed. On death you lost everything in your inventory. Thieves could actually steal from you! (though usually just better to kill you and take all your stuff) Politics, strategy, tactics, etc. Good times, good times.

DAOC Classic/SI

in my opinion the best for 1sv1, 8vs8 & 300vs300vs200!!

Words of truth. It was a blast back then. Shadowblade rank 10. Proud and representing.

The other one would be based on fun and how quickly you could be competitive - Warhammer online.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.