Shadow Strike Hesitation

JimmyPopPopcorn

I have a now lvl 27 Jedi Shadow that I love, just one major issue that I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing.

When I activate shadow strike the character begins the motion and then all of sudden holds up like "Hey, maybe we should rethink this whole shadow strike thing at this juncture in time, hmm, what say you?"

I can mash the button, squeeze it down gently once when shadow strike is ready...

I'm behind the npc or player that I'm attacking. It's really annoying for a potent instant attack to all of a sudden and without seeming reason, to not fire and yet always play the beginning animation as if it was going to fire.

I don't know everything (much closer to nothing) so is this a feature? Am I missing something or is it a bug?

Thanks.

P.S. Bioware - LOVE the new changes in the latest patch regarding availability of skills.

I have a now lvl 27 Jedi Shadow that I love, just one major issue that I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing.

When I activate shadow strike the character begins the motion and then all of sudden holds up like "Hey, maybe we should rethink this whole shadow strike thing at this juncture in time, hmm, what say you?"

I can mash the button, squeeze it down gently once when shadow strike is ready...

I'm behind the npc or player that I'm attacking. It's really annoying for a potent instant attack to all of a sudden and without seeming reason, to not fire and yet always play the beginning animation as if it was going to fire.

I don't know everything (much closer to nothing) so is this a feature? Am I missing something or is it a bug?

Thanks.

P.S. Bioware - LOVE the new changes in the latest patch regarding availability of skills.

I think its the fact that the animation is very slow and the "position checks".

When you click Shadow Strike the game does a check.

Are you behind the target?

After the animation is done, but before applying the damage it checks again.

So after clicking the button, you basicly have to stay behind the target for the entire animation before the damage is delt. If you dont, you get the error.

I very much agree and hope that enough players voice their concern. I am glad that bioware reads all of these posts for this is something that feels clunky and every night i play my shadow consular i keep thinking of how shadowstrike mechanics could be improved.

This topic AND the fact that consular shadow force breach needs to be improved its quite unappealing and if they tailored some of the spell effects it would go along ways to greater enjoyment for the class

btw i find the story incredible and holliday is a cool addition to theran cedrax!

Shadow Strike does indeed need to be fixed. The ability is just another casualty of the developers' obsession with making sure animations finish before you do anything else. I acutally have this problem a lot with spinning strike also (this is a known issue).

In terms of force breach, yes, the animation is underwhelming at best. On the plus side, clairvoyant strike's animation is actually pretty sweet. You'll like that.

Edited by Whatsalightsaver

there is a very similar issue with zealous strike of the sentinel. though in that case there is no being behind restriction. it still often only starts the animation and stops it half way. you can then try to smash the button 10x times and it never will activate.

you must use a different skill first to make this work again or run out of range and back again. (it is not the problem that actually your target went out of range with the cleint not showing this proper as other close range attacks are still working and neither the target nor me have ever moved during the fight).

it gets more frustrating in pvp...

Ugggg! I experienced it about 5x today. I completely hate this because it wastes my stun/SS combo.

It happened in PVP to me today repetatively. I was behind a stunned player and I kept starting and stopping the shadow strike over and over.

Note: the ability doesn't even light up on your quickslot unless you are in the correct position. So, when you can activate the ability, it should always work!

Yeah happens all the time to me, it is quite annoying but not something I'll rage quit over. I'm sure(or at least I hope) BioWare will address the issue.

I love my shadow as well and enjoy the play style but their are a few problems I'd like to see resolved with it.

• 1 year later...

Whilst not game breaking, it is another a string added to the bow of frustration that is the Shadow, sometimes the check delays the SS for me, sometimes it stops it completely, you lose the buff and end up SSing without it and costing Force.

Bit of a shame its still in after all this time.

I see this kind of "hitching" with many abilities across classes. Shadow Strike and Spinning Strike are easily the worst for Shadows. I don't really understand the problem but I think that spamming makes it worse.

I wonder whether the hitching has to do with animations. In my experience, a Jedi Knight's Blade Storm is subject to hitching but a Sith Warrior's Force Scream is not. Neither of these abilities (which have different animations) requires a position check or a target's health check.

I have never seen it with spinning strike, only with shadow strike. My assumption was that the game was having a problem correctly assessing the direction in which the enemy is facing. Ever have those moments where you go to attack that enemy from the back only to have to deliver the blow from the front because the game has things backwards? It tends to hitch for me in those circumstances.

I have noticed in PVE if an enemy turns around without moving any distance, often it doesn't update their direction for the purposes of SS/Maul, so I end up having to run halfway around them and gut stab them. Quick fix is to do something that makes them run which seems to properly orient them, but that's not a practical option often and is a waste of time.

Whenever my animation stutters it feels like my char is saying "Why I oughta..." or she's planning to tickle them with her lightsaber as she pulls it back and wobbles it threateningly over and over...and over.