Get Rid of XP for PvP

Blotter

So more people will quit when they realize they're continually doing the SAME side quests OVER and OVER when leveling a new toon?

They nerfed warzone exp once, it isn't even viable once you're in the higher levels. Another one of their great 'metrics' analysis

Please read prior posts before posting. I already suggested, in light of people poinrting out that it's a viable alternative for alts, that perhaps a solution would be to only allow XP for PvP once you've leveled up your first toon to 50.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. My one toon so far is 35 and I'm just about to finish Act I when I get home from work cuz I've been playing it slow. I've done a bit of PvP and can't wait to do more...and altho I am avoiding it a little so I don't rapid-level too much, that's not what's motivated me to post the thread. What really motivated me is that from frequentling the forums (while pretending to be busy at work of course), I've noticed that a LOT of the complaints come back to...among other things related to XP in PvP...it being way too easy to powerlevel via PvP, PvP gear for some reason being better than anything else even raid gear, and people skipping a lot of the game's content via PvP powerleveling. I'm not married to the idea of getting rid of the XP for PvP...that was just he conversation grenade.

I am still anxiously awaiting your master plan to counter the mass drop off in pre50 PvP activity as I stated in my first post. You must of thought this out, right?

I am still anxiously awaiting your master plan to counter the mass drop off in pre50 PvP activity as I stated in my first post. You must of thought this out, right?

Ummm, given that I've agreed with a past poster's comments that there would be people who liked to twink their toons if BW got rid of XP in PvP, maybe an easy solution is brackets of 10 instead of this sily "everyone gets the same level of HP and Force and fights everyone alse at level 49 and below" etc. And did you not realize that there are a lot of people, myself included, who actually are avoiding doing too much PvP while still leveling because we don't want it to goose our leveling speed too much, since it's already a little too fast as it is, even without PvP XP? I'm by no means saying it is a game breaking issue, but I do think it causes/contributes to some of the problems we're frequently hearing about and could use some tweaking.

i still don't see how this is an issue. really don't. is the main complaint about afkers? is it the gear? the pace? because i honestly have enjoyed the story, but i aso enjoy the pvp. i don't care about endgame and i don't care about gear. i just care about fun. i believe most poeple play games for that reason, but i've been known to be wrong on occasion. if you don't have fun playing, find something that is fun for you, i guess.

Ummm, given that I've agreed with a past poster's comments that there would be people who liked to twink their toons if BW got rid of XP in PvP, maybe an easy solution is brackets of 10 instead of this sily "everyone gets the same level of HP and Force and fights everyone alse at level 49 and below" etc. And did you not realize that there are a lot of people, myself included, who actually are avoiding doing too much PvP while still leveling because we don't want it to goose our leveling speed too much, since it's already a little too fast as it is, even without PvP XP? I'm by no means saying it is a game breaking issue, but I do think it causes/contributes to some of the problems we're frequently hearing about and could use some tweaking.

You don't understand. What incentive do I have as a low level to queue up for a WZ if there is no XP involved? How much simpler can I put it? Copying WoW and having individual brackets is not an incentive.

I don't support an XP toggle, or no XP for Warzones.

Now, I'm going to make some generalizations, and I apologize if I tread on feet here.

1. People paying to play PvP in this game don't care about the 300+ hours of content before Endgame PvP. Which means that Bioware is rewarding them with the ability to almost completely level a character through doing what they love (hopefully) doing.

2. I like the diversion of PvP, and the fact that I feel like I am not hampering my progression when I participate in it. No XP would hamper that in a couple of ways. The obvious: Only having progression through PvP quests, which I would likely have to travel to the Fleet to get, as opposed to gaining xp while PvP'ing... even if I'm in the middle of Tattooine. The Not-So-Obvious: PvP guilds sitting on their level 49 pre-mades, rolling PUGS in pre-50 PvP. This would just recycle the issue I had with 10-50 brackets. You may not use this quite obvious feature of XP'less PvP; but there would be many, many who would.

I spent "Pre-split PvP" counting 50's on my team in the hopes that they'd match the Empire's almost guaranteed 4 on the other. I really don't want to spend "Post-split PvP" counting 49's.

Edited by BourbonDingo

"Leveling speed is too fast" but yet here you are, a month and a week after release at lv 35?

I leveled my main by a combination of things, mostly questing, but I did do enough pvp to max out WZ and Merc commendations to get 5 gear bags off the bat @ 50.

I leveled to 50 in under 2 weeks using mostly quests, and you say PvP is the fast route? By the way, I did NOT spacebar through convo's, and completed every planet I was on aside from the daily heroics, the bonus series, and maybe a few straggler quests.

"Problems we are frequently hearing about" Um? Every game will always have people who rush to 50 to find out that the endgame isn't entirely ready for them yet. But, there is actually plenty to do @ 50, including the battlemaster grind, normal/hardmode raids, heroic flashpoints, and plenty of dailies.

Edited by TheJmoney

You don't understand. What incentive do I have as a low level to queue up for a WZ if there is no XP involved? How much simpler can I put it? Copying WoW and having individual brackets is not an incentive.

I didn't say to get rid of all incentives whatsoever. There can be gear, titles, tokens, all sorts of things to provide incentives in the absence of XP. Do you still not understand that there are a lot of people avoiding WZs at lower levels right now because they don't want their leveling sped up too much past the story content they're on? Yuo failed to address that point and it's a valid one that I've seen in other threads from people complaining that the leveling is too fast. People have suggested lowering th eamount of XP available in PvP...I've acknowledged that leveling alts is a concern and that maybe allowing XP at this rate only once you've leveled your first toon to 50 might also be a decent fix...but instead of making a reasonable suggestion, you're being purposefully obtuse and pretending I don't understand. I do...and I've already said I'm not married to one idea or the other, just trying to get people talking about what (a) should be acknolwedged as an issue (but not something I'm screaming about as game breaking) and (b) could probably be addressed in some very simple ways.

"Leveling speed is too fast" but yet here you are, a month and a week after release at lv 35?

OK, that was just ridiculous. Would you like to tell me when I bought the game too? You made it worthless to read the rest of your post by starting with that nonsense.

2. I like the diversion of PvP, and the fact that I feel like I am not hampering my progression when I participate in it. No XP would hamper that in a couple of ways.

How is it hampering your progression if you could still get rewards in other ways, such as level appropriate gear, etc?

Title of the thread says it all. I won't go into a lengthy explanation...will let others argue it out and chime in if I feel like it...but I think most people know why. And no, I absolutely LOVE to PvP, so hold your horses on claiming I'm a carebear or some such nonsense.

First I thought twinking, but that doesnt make sense since its 10-49 in one bracket and 50s in another, not to mention 10-48 are bolstered to match up to 49, so then I thought maybe so you never hit 50 and can just hang in the 10-49 bracket, but the problem there is, youd harm the 50 bracket more by limiting 50s entering it, so whats your agenda?

I cannot find ANY logical reason to do this. XP is fine in PvP, and XP in PvP is fairly standard practice these days. I am willing to bet more players than not WANT XP in PvP, so if I was you I would expect a very positive response or this change to go live anytime soon.

First I thought twinking, but that doesnt make sense since its 10-49 in one bracket and 50s in another, not to mention 10-48 are bolstered to match up to 49, so then I thought maybe so you never hit 50 and can just hang in the 10-49 bracket, but the problem there is, youd harm the 50 bracket more by limiting 50s entering it, so whats your agenda?

I cannot find ANY logical reason to do this. XP is fine in PvP, and XP in PvP is fairly standard practice these days. I am willing to bet more players than not WANT XP in PvP, so if I was you I would expect a very positive response or this change to go live anytime soon.

Again, not married to the idea, but it would be interesting and nice to see some admission that easy-mode-to-50 is harming the game. Might as well have just not released the rest of the content really and admit that this is COD with lightsabers pew pew, but that's neither here nor there. Leveling does go too fast in this game...much too fast...and grinding out 50 in PvP is far too easyand quick even compared to the quickness of leveling doing quests. Something's gotta give.

I didn't say to get rid of all incentives whatsoever. There can be gear, titles, tokens, all sorts of things to provide incentives in the absence of XP. Do you still not understand that there are a lot of people avoiding WZs at lower levels right now because they don't want their leveling sped up too much past the story content they're on? Yuo failed to address that point and it's a valid one that I've seen in other threads from people complaining that the leveling is too fast. People have suggested lowering th eamount of XP available in PvP...I've acknowledged that leveling alts is a concern and that maybe allowing XP at this rate only once you've leveled your first toon to 50 might also be a decent fix...but instead of making a reasonable suggestion, you're being purposefully obtuse and pretending I don't understand. I do...and I've already said I'm not married to one idea or the other, just trying to get people talking about what (a) should be acknolwedged as an issue (but not something I'm screaming about as game breaking) and (b) could probably be addressed in some very simple ways.

Really? First of all, I thought people were avoiding WZs because generally they got creamed due to the incompetency of a majority of players.

Second, why should I level up solely by questing? Questing is a joke for some people. Have you ever thought that some people don't like to quest? I, for one, after having done it at least twice would not want to do quests again. These quests, that have the same conversation dialogue with the exception for class quests throughout the leveling phase, get irritating after a while.

For reference, I am leveling my character to 50 via PvP exclusively, and I'm having more fun than doing stupid, menial tasks like every other game that forces me to do quests.

If you're leveling too fast but you're missing quest content, either don't PvP on that character and do your quests, or keep doing what you're doing and save what you missed on another character.

TL;DR Alts, use them.

OK, that was just ridiculous. Would you like to tell me when I bought the game too? You made it worthless to read the rest of your post by starting with that nonsense.

Your entire thread is ridiculous, because you are claiming leveling is "too fast" but you are nowhere near level cap.

Your first post defending your suggestion, claimed "leveling is too fast" and you're blaming pvp for it. If leveling is so damned fast, why isn't everyone at 50 yet?

"Do you not acknowledge that there's a problem with it?" No, because there is not a single thing wrong with leveling by pvp.

300+ hrs of content you claim, sadly this isn't even close to true. My lv 50, has 11 days played, and I hit 50 weeks ago. 11 days = 264 hrs, considering I hit 50 weeks ago, probably about 100-125, if even that(and I'm being generous), of those hours were spent leveling. The only content that matters is your class quest, which only takes up a fragment of that content anyway, since the rest of it is the generic "go kill x and bring back y" from some random guy that always has the same story as the last one "omg our town got raided! go raidz them back!"

Edited by TheJmoney

Progression towards 50th. Those other things would be worthwhile if the game didn't already have all of those things. Someone who had absolutely no interest whatsoever in anything other than Endgame PvP would find themselves not enjoying this game, if they could not PvP.

Incentives such as at level bonuses would mean nothing to them, because their goal is to reach Endgame PvP. So, what you would have in general is an absolute timesink, in which only the people who feel that their progression in PvE has grinded to a halt, due to a real or perceived lack of gear, or bonuses or whatever.

I play PvP because it is fun, and I realize that my fun skyrocketed when I was no longer paired against 50's. Will 50's PvP suck? Probably, for a little while. But, Bioware has given me the option of rolling another alt, and enjoying that grind all over again.

The idea you shared of only allowing basically Legacy benefit characters having XP gain? What happens if you only want to PvP with your first character? Or all of your characters? You've consigned people to basically a forced PvE existence (which is why we even have the Expertise skill).

"Leveling too fast?" - Guildie hit 50 in 9 days doing quests, solo. Another hit 7 doing quests, paired with one other person. Yes, PvP can be faster... but barely. And you'd need to be on forever. And, we're not talking about people who afk-exploit in Warzones, because you'd always have those (especially if PvP started only doling out commendations).

But, this is all a really long way of saying, "I don't want to go back to hating PvP."

Edit - Quote didn't post, weird.

Edited by BourbonDingo

Again, not married to the idea, but it would be interesting and nice to see some admission that easy-mode-to-50 is harming the game. Might as well have just not released the rest of the content really and admit that this is COD with lightsabers pew pew, but that's neither here nor there. Leveling does go too fast in this game...much too fast...and grinding out 50 in PvP is far too easyand quick even compared to the quickness of leveling doing quests. Something's gotta give.

I didnt think about that, and while I can see the argument there has merit, PvP was never intended to be a major part of this game. In all honesty the game, in my opinion, was designed for the casual PvE player. It seems to me they intended to go for the older, working crowd who cant put in 80 hours of play time a week to blast through the game but still wanted to give the ability to level at a decent pace with limited time available. Like it or not, the largest demographic is not the hardcore players but casuals for instance, working adults, or college students.

explain why. xp is fine in PVP.

For me it would be because in wow I enjoyed creating a toon for a certain level of compitition. It was a great diversion and kinda bugged me when they did away with it.

But in this case they started with it this way so ..whatever I'll take it or leave it ;)

Your entire thread is ridiculous, because you are claiming leveling is "too fast" but you are nowhere near level cap.

Having read even more of Blotter's posts, I have no idea from what direction he's coming from with any of his ideas.

I've had a 50 for over 3 weeks now. I did all the solo quests on every planet (except Corelia where I was 49 when I landed there) along the way, but I did skip any bonus series that was below my level. I was also actually able to find groups to do 5 Flashpoints along the way (1x BT, Athis, Hammer, Boarding and Foundry).

I PvP'd some on the way up (maybe Valor rank 22 or so at 50? I don't remember).

Where does the problem come in?

I did not skip content that I felt I shouldn't have been skipping due to PvP XP (bonus series quests are just that - bonus).

Now I'm also leveling an alt (30 sorc atm). I'm ONLY doing class quests and PvP. This is a bad thing? I can't tell from Blotter's posts what he thinks. I know I do NOT want to redo all the planetary quests again, and the LFG tools (or lack thereof) means trying to do any Heroic 2's and Heroic 4's along the way is just asking for frustration, so unless I'm desperate for light/darkside points, I have no need or desire to see anything other than my class quests on the way to 50.

I actually don't know if the OP thinks this is a problem or not.

Here is the problem with your suggestions. You are trying to force people to conform to your play style. The currest system allows for multiple play styles. Therefore, its better.

Yes, AFKers suck. But your suggestions screw over legitemate PVPers.

I mostly quest. Im not even a hardcore PVPer. I barely do it. And yet even I can see how silly your suggestions are.

Took the words right out my mouth! This thread is really pointless, If there was no exp from pvp, there would be less players and there would be a huge amount of people posting making threads about adding exp to pvp. You say that you over level quest or pvp gives a lot of exp, imo i think the exp from pvp isnt even a lot. Doing quest is a lot more faster, I can probably turn in 2-3 quest in before i even finish 1 pvp match. I really think this thread is point less. Bioware won't remove exp from pvp because its already in the game and its one of the CORE things swtor has to offer when you pvp. If they do i know a huge amount of people would quit. Exp in pvp is fine. The amount of exp you get from pvp is fine. nuff said.