The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why do people feel the need to 'ding'

Guilder

I understand slightly if you finally hit your level cap or actually do something noteworthy but I just don't understand why people feel the need to 'ding, level 16' and repeat all the way to the level max.

What's the mentality, are people really that desperate for 'congrats, you're leveling just like every other player in the game!' ?

For me leveling and getting new abilities is the bread and butter of the game for me. I dont like the sam old attacks and skills over and over. Yes i might be using the same skill but it now does twice the damage and I can kill tougher mobs. I would prefer the SKYRIM leveling model though. I'd rather skill up in the abilities you use as your using them. Instead of paying cash at a set xp level.

I would also like the ability to turn off getting xp. I would like the ability to put all xp gain to legacy or off completely. I level way faster then my friends and if BW could have enough dailey quests I could just shut off the XP tap and make some cash while my friends catch up.

There is only so far ya can go though.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many have already said it in this thread.

Older MMo's (mostly eq1 and 2, ffXI etc.) took along time to level up after a certain point, every level from there on in felt like a milestone, you could also die and lose xp or go down a level. The "ding" was worth announcing back then, i don't really do it anymore though.

You can reach max level pretty fast in most mmo's these days, even if you're casual you could still do it in under 4 weeks, before it would take you months, not weeks.

Imo it helped with player retention, in more recent mmo's the leveling is far too fast (AoC being a good example).

Back when, you would make many friends as leveling was slower and you had a chance to run all the dungeons/instances, it's possible to miss many of them due to speed of leveling these days in mmo's.

That said, you have plenty of players who only want to reach max level as thats where the majority of the content is.

Not saying fast leveling is a bad thing, just being an old school gamer and in my opinion, i wish it didn't go so fast.

SW: ToR isn't too bad though with leveling, compared to last few i played, although i guess if you space barred through, it could go pretty fast.

Some enjoy the journey, others prefer to just get to their destination.

Edited by TheFugitive

I don't "ding" myself (wait, that doesn't sound quite right...), but I sort of like it when other people do. I think any sign that someone is enjoying themselves and feeling a sense of accomplishment while leveling is fun.

I'll put it this way. After watching some of the rude, nasty comments people go out of their way to make to each other on the general chat channel, having someone go "ding" is certainly not the first thing that would annoy me. I suppose its all in your perspective, though.

Edited by mrcaptainpants

I understand slightly if you finally hit your level cap or actually do something noteworthy but I just don't understand why people feel the need to 'ding, level 16' and repeat all the way to the level max.

What's the mentality, are people really that desperate for 'congrats, you're leveling just like every other player in the game!' ?

Maybe because they want a little pat on the back or a little attention? Kind of like you want with this thread.

Ding comes from MMOs that where gaining a level in itself was a lot of work and a challenge, example Everquest, early days Final Fantasy XI, the ding was an achievement in itself. In games like WoW, SWTOR or other modern MMOs gaining a level really doesn't take that much and it happens way too often so it isn't deserving a ding in my opinion yet people who never played those hard leveling games use it.

Also in EQ (where the "ding" thing came from) levelling wasnt a solo activity for most, so you'd routinely announce it when you lvled to your groupmates and often to the rest of the zone as you generally knew a lot of the other people in the zone from having grouped with them on other occasions. And as everyone was going through the same somewhat slow levelling process, others in the zone were genuinely interested in each others progress.

It was a game where people actually interacted with each other before they got to max lvl, strangely enough.

Comes from EQ - When leveling was actually an accomplishment.

Also in EQ (where the "ding" thing came from) levelling wasnt a solo activity for most, so you'd routinely announce it when you lvled to your groupmates and often to the rest of the zone as you generally knew a lot of the other people in the zone from having grouped with them on other occasions. And as everyone was going through the same somewhat slow levelling process, others in the zone were genuinely interested in each others progress.

It was a game where people actually interacted with each other before they got to max lvl, strangely enough.

Nail meet head

I like to try and "ding" nightly ....

Sometimes I am alone, sometimes I'll ding while playing with my girlfriend. She likes to ding also but she doesn't as often as I do, I tell her if she'll just play more, she would ding more. She also hates when I ding faster than her .....

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away....lvling meant something.

How's does this impact you?

What mentality does a person have to be so desperate to complain about something as meaningless as someone announcing they've leveled?

• 2 weeks later...
How's does this impact you?

What mentality does a person have to be so desperate to complain about something as meaningless as someone announcing they've leveled?

Good question.

I think this sort of discussion belongs to a game chat rather then a topic on the forums.

Nonetheless I think the best way of responding to someone else dings is either congratulate them or ignore they ding and move on.

And for those who seek a really good reason to ding - consider a Legacy level ups;-)

I can remember, vividly and with crystal clarity, the moment I dinged 50 in EQ.

Where I was. Who I was with. The reaction of my guild. The congratulations I received from various people on the server for the next month. 'Shaz! You finally made 50, congrats!'

I have fuzzy memories of hitting max level in a couple other games. Only of a couple, out of the many I have played, and the many I have achieved max level in. In most, it was of no real consequence. There was no build-up to max level. Not enough time invested to make it worthwhile. Not enough achievements to make it memorable.

This game is going to be one of the ones I hold no 'dinging level 50' memory of. I dinged 50 week ago or so with my Sorc... I don't really recall what I was doing, even. I was on Corellia, I think? I imagine even that is going to fade, in time.

I don't think anything like EQ1's dings will ever happen again. The gamescape has changed too much.

Edited by Shaz