Super smooth launch

MaskedDriver

You know, from the way servers were crashing left and right during the last stress-test beta run, I was seriously afraid for the launch. I'm still afraid for the 20th when people who don't preorder get in, but I'm not nearly as afraid as I was.

I got my invitation for early access yesterday morning, but couldn't do anything about it until the evening. I logged on for the first time to Sith Meditation Sphere at ~7:00pm. This is pretty much the "prime time" of MMOs from my experience. The server was at "Standard" capacity and I had NO LAG... NO QUEUE... NO PROBLEMS!

Completely shocked and very pleasantly surprised.

The people who are complaining about how you're doing this launch must not have been at the launch of any other MMOs that were just like, "Here you go everybody... start playing right now." Staggering it like this is brilliant. The complainers just need to look in the mirror and say, "If I want FREE early access... you know... early, I should preorder sooner." I ordered on the 26th and I wasn't upset that it took until Wednesday to get my invitation... A little shocked and excited that that many people preordered within the first week of preorders.

Things have been greatly refined since the last beta too.

Well played BioWare. Ignore the haters cause they're going to hate. It's not your fault they can't read good[sic]! Entitlement is a dish best served to the dog.

See you all in game!

Dunno what servers you were playing on during the 'stress test' but I had only one servercrash the entire time. Had to queue a few times, once for 45mins, but that was the only time over the usual 5-10mins.

Bad server launch: OMG most people can't play because of the queues stopping people getting onto the servers!

Good server launch: OMG most people can't play because of the staggered access stopping people getting onto the servers!

The masterstroke is that people wanting to play but being unable to are spamming the forum, their email accounts, even the launcher instead of the server select screen. In a couple of months we'll be able to see more clearly whether the staggering has created more stable server populations. That's the primary reason behind the staggering, as opposed to simply bringing more and more servers online as required

Dunno what servers you were playing on during the 'stress test' but I had only one servercrash the entire time. Had to queue a few times, once for 45mins, but that was the only time over the usual 5-10mins.

Bad server launch: OMG most people can't play because of the queues stopping people getting onto the servers!

Good server launch: OMG most people can't play because of the staggered access stopping people getting onto the servers!

The masterstroke is that people wanting to play but being unable to are spamming the forum, their email accounts, even the launcher instead of the server select screen. In a couple of months we'll be able to see more clearly whether the staggering has created more stable server populations. That's the primary reason behind the staggering, as opposed to simply bringing more and more servers online as required

It might be that I just picked bad servers for both of my betas lol. First beta I was in, it went down for about an hour and a half, then the stress test, it went down a couple times, but for shorter durations.

And I'm not sure if you're trying to disagree with me or agree with me, either way, I agree with your sentiments on server launches :)

You know, from the way servers were crashing left and right during the last stress-test beta run, I was seriously afraid for the launch. I'm still afraid for the 20th when people who don't preorder get in, but I'm not nearly as afraid as I was.

I got my invitation for early access yesterday morning, but couldn't do anything about it until the evening. I logged on for the first time to Sith Meditation Sphere at ~7:00pm. This is pretty much the "prime time" of MMOs from my experience. The server was at "Standard" capacity and I had NO LAG... NO QUEUE... NO PROBLEMS!

Completely shocked and very pleasantly surprised.

The people who are complaining about how you're doing this launch must not have been at the launch of any other MMOs that were just like, "Here you go everybody... start playing right now." Staggering it like this is brilliant. The complainers just need to look in the mirror and say, "If I want FREE early access... you know... early, I should preorder sooner." I ordered on the 26th and I wasn't upset that it took until Wednesday to get my invitation... A little shocked and excited that that many people preordered within the first week of preorders.

Things have been greatly refined since the last beta too.

Well played BioWare. Ignore the haters cause they're going to hate. It's not your fault they can't read good[sic]! Entitlement is a dish best served to the dog.

See you all in game!

And fan boys gonna flame. What else is new? You got some brown on your nose. I don't know where it came from but...

Super smooth launch...hah. Tell that to the people who can't get in the game. They can't get past the opening screen.

DaoC, WoW, Rift... And though there were bugs, queue's and crashes, at least you knew where you stood and weren't treated like **** OR talked down to by a bunch of players that thought they were elite because they ordered or got access 1st. :mad:

Sorry, no job vacanies atm! Move along! :rolleyes:

Fed of of these posts either side of the coin.

We all know by now most people who have played MMO's at launch in the past feel this has been a poor launch tactic. We also know that there is an small upside to it and that fanboys love it.

Why make a new thread on this issue when there are way too many already. Why does everyone have to create a thread with their opinion even though that view has been shard way more times than needed already.

Some people are happy. A lot aren't. let gets past this and hope EA/Bioware have better ideas for their first patch etc as staggered patching will be awful.

The servers were okay with 100 people on each of them? Woo!

I'm guessing you aren't in. There are a few servers that I saw at FULL when logging in today. The Harbinger was one I can remember. My server, among others, were at HEAVY or VERY HEAVY for prime time.

I agree with the OP. I was in 5 miutes after 4AM on Dec 13, I haven't had one problem yet.

Edited by AlucardsSoul

While the staggering has had it's advantages, there are many disadvantages as well:

Most players get stuck in a 24-72 hour queue.

First people have difficultly finding other players to do grouped content with.

Some servers are already bursting at the seems(often have queue times during or around peak hours).

While the staggering has had it's advantages, there are many disadvantages as well:

Most players get stuck in a 24-72 hour queue.

First people have difficultly finding other players to do grouped content with.

Some servers are already bursting at the seems(often have queue times during or around peak hours).

I agree the idea had merit, but what they believed it would do failed (no queues, no crashes, more even spread over servers).

If they had dumped the pre-kickoff guild idea & went for a pre-start "Pick you server early, play with your friends on a server of your choosing!" then lock the players to it (unless theres a good reason to swap ofc), they would then know the numbers on each, know what each could handle (making it faster to pump out keys), and could possibly have let all on at once if the stress test worked (it must have failed badly if the answer is let x-amount on at a time... If it's that unstable at the 20th it's gonna bang!).

:(

I agree the idea had merit, but what they believed it would do failed (no queues, no crashes, more even spread over servers).

If they had dumped the pre-kickoff guild idea & went for a pre-start "Pick you server early, play with your friends on a server of your choosing!" then lock the players to it (unless theres a good reason to swap ofc), they would then know the numbers on each, know what each could handle (making it faster to pump out keys), and could possibly have let all on at once if the stress test worked (it must have failed badly if the answer is let x-amount on at a time... If it's that unstable at the 20th it's gonna bang!).

:(

Like I said in the OP, I didn't have any kind of queue at all.. I didn't have any crashes... It went super smoothly. This was an East coast PVE server.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.