Why the heat?!

DarthSublimitas

There are more than a few threads that in some cases, this game causes more heat than other games. Game puts some GPUs to work...

/shrug

You have not posted any temperatures for your GPU. Are they high enough to worry about? If not, who cares? Game is heating your room for you in winter.

However, given your signature, it seems likely you are just attempting to troll. If you are manually adjusting your fan, your GPU temps are available to you. What are they?

(Btw, if you feel stongly enough about a game to put your clever acronym in your signature, why are you still playing it?)

However, given your signature, it seems likely you are just attempting to troll. If you are manually adjusting your fan, your GPU temps are available to you. What are they?

(Btw, if you feel stongly enough about a game to put your clever acronym in your signature, why are you still playing it?)

I never took his post seriously due to the sig and not posting any temps.

There are more than a few threads that in some cases, this game causes more heat than other games. Game puts some GPUs to work...

/shrug

You have not posted any temperatures for your GPU. Are they high enough to worry about? If not, who cares? Game is heating your room for you in winter.

Nah, not trolling - don't need to. Like the game, just not the pieces of crap called the devs or CS. But in any event, haven't recorded temps, just noticed they were 15-20 degrees higher than what it should be and caused me to raise an eyebrow to this.

Have a month left on sub prob won't resub until they fix a lot of issues with this game. I've had a ticket sitting for over a month and still CS is as non-existant as ever so my faith in them has really waned....

Nah, not trolling - don't need to. Like the game, just not the pieces of crap called the devs or CS. But in any event, haven't recorded temps, just noticed they were 15-20 degrees higher than what it should be and caused me to raise an eyebrow to this.

So, what are your temperatures? What do you think they "should be?"

So far you've posted nothing whatsoever that indicates any kind of real issue.

So, what are your temperatures? What do you think they "should be?"

So far you've posted nothing whatsoever that indicates any kind of real issue.

I don't carry temps on me lol! I'm not at home. I'll take some baseline readings then fire up the game and take spiked readings and post.

To the OP: Mulitple people have asked you to post temps of your components and you have yet to do that. So either post up some numbers or stop trolling.

The more CPU/GPU power needed the more heat that is produced. So any game such as WoW with its cartoon graphics is going to require less power to run which means less heat.

Could SWTOR be optimized. Yes. Any game could be optimized but you can do certain things to help yourself out also, like turning on veritcal sync and capping your video card at 60fps. You are not going to notice the difference, believe me.

So why mention you work in IT if it has no bearing on your issue, and you have no knowledge of it?

That's a bit deceptive, don't you think?

There is much that is disingenuous in the OP's original thread and his responses. He claims to be knowledgeable in IT initially and then later claims no knowledge of hardware, since he's a software guy. Then why reference your IT background at all if it does not apply? He can set his fans manually but cannot remember a number range between 40 and 90.

I have a new cooling intensive system and SWTOR runs like 62 for me and most other games are in the low 50's. SWTOR clearly runs hotter on some systems, as a forum search will indicate. Who cares?

Until your GPU is shutting down or creating artifacts from the heat, it's a pointless conversation. I would refer people with the issue to one of a dozen *helpful* threads on how to optimize your rig for SWTOR.

Edited by Sireene
reply to edited post

There is much that is disingenuous in the OP's original thread and his responses. He claims to be knowledgeable in IT initially and then later claims no knowledge of hardware, since he's a software guy. Then why reference your IT background at all if it does not apply? He can set his fans manually but cannot remember a number range between 40 and 90.

I have a new cooling intensive system and SWTOR runs like 62 for me and most other games are in the low 50's. SWTOR clearly runs hotter on some systems, as a forum search will indicate. Who cares?

Until your GPU is shutting down or creating artifacts from the heat, it's a pointless conversation. I would refer people with the issue to one of a dozen *helpful* threads on how to optimize your rig for SWTOR.

Why should I have to optimize my rig for this game. Is it my fault they are using a piece of crap for an engine that over taxes my gpu? Plus, the graphics in this game are crap to begin with. Look at Rift for example. Their graphics engine is amazing and I don't have half the problems.

Edited by Sireene
reply to edited post

From what you've posed so far, you don't actually HAVE a problem.

It's more a curiousity if anything. I was really just wondering if others had this issue and ppl wtih their snarky remarks had to add their unwarranted 2cents lol. So I fire back - something normal for these boards I suppose...

Vertical sync. Without V-Sync enabled, my GPU was rising to ~85 degrees Celcius, regardless of the graphics settings I used. Strangely enough, downgrading settings actually seemed to raise temps; as my framerates rose, so did my temps.

With V-Sync on, I'm looking at temps consistently in the ~77 range.

(85 C wasn't over the limit for my card, but it was close enough to worry me, given that I'm playing in the dead of winter.)

No, you've OBVIOUSLY COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT. Sigh... The point is the case NEVER gets warm AT ALL. ONLY when I play this game. Anything else, and I can be on the computer for 2 days straight playing games, doing research, whatever, and the chassis NEVER gets warm it's always cool to the touch until I play this game - THAT was my point.

Ok. When software heavily uses your CPU, memory, and/or video card, the said components produce more heat.

When you're doing your research, your CPU is sitting right around 2% utilization, and majority of your video card is not even functioning.

When you play other games, they may not utilize your hardware as much as swtor does.

So yes, if you use your hardware heavily, it will get warm. Since you're not a hardware geek, let me make an analogy. My truck gets almost twice worse gas mileage when it's pulling a big boat. There is nothing bad or strange about it. That's just how it is.

It's more a curiousity if anything. I was really just wondering if others had this issue and ppl wtih their snarky remarks had to add their unwarranted 2cents lol. So I fire back - something normal for these boards I suppose...

I have a Ge Force 580 GTX video card with two separate fans. Sometimes while I'm playing the game I have to turn the shader to low and turn off "Bloom" or while I'm playing the game it will be very hot to the point where the game crashes. I notice it's much more cooler when I'm lower setting's even though my card can handle it.

I guess I should install a greater cooling engine. Liquid cool? I dunno how that works.

Why should I have to optimize my rig for this game. Is it my fault they are using a piece of crap for an engine that over taxes my gpu? Plus, the graphics in this game are crap to begin with. Look at Rift for example. Their graphics engine is amazing and I don't have half the problems.

And what does the year 1989 have to do with the word "proletariat?" This is a Latin word used in Roman times. That still applys to the uneducated masses today...

And you finally reveal your full troll outfit. This was never a thread about heat, it's your thread to bash the game.

1.) Using the graphics settings in the game is "Optimizing" your your rig. Those settings are there for a reason and exist in almost all games of this sort.

2.) I reference proletariat and 1989 because that word was mostly used in modern times by those followers of Karl Marx, the adherents of whom, by and large, saw their systems tumble in 1989. The word is also co opted by self-righteous windbags from time to time. In addition, I am a lot of things, however, uneducated is not one of them.

3.) If you don't like the game, go play Rift or some other game you enjoy. You should enjoy the game you choose to play. I am continually baffled by those who buy a product, don't like it and linger, seemingly forever, to poke and rip and bash that which they don't like. You bought a good/service and you don't care for it. So, rather than be well adjusted and just move on, you linger, spew venom and negativity and attack others in the forums. It's tiresome.

4.) If you have criticism, and this game certainly has areas that could improve, why not approach them constructively and directly?

5.) Your signature undermines your credibility on a massive scale. You should perhaps think about how off-putting it is to those that read your threads.

The first intelligent answer so far today - thank you :)

And yes, this is/was one of my suspicians as well.

So basically, you are trolling.

You cannot be bothered to actually tell us what your temps are (even though you claim to be an IT chimp)?

BUT you can create a leading thread designed to attract people who will say IT MUST BE THE GAME ENGINE.

My comp runs virtually the same temp on this game as it did for WoW and Rift, all settings maxed in all three games (except shadows = low for TOR). So I cannot corelate with your alleged experience. Oh, and yeah on each of the three games, my exhaust air increases in temperature noticably but my case stays cool.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Andryah

No, you've OBVIOUSLY COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT. Sigh... The point is the case NEVER gets warm AT ALL. ONLY when I play this game. Anything else, and I can be on the computer for 2 days straight playing games, doing research, whatever, and the chassis NEVER gets warm it's always cool to the touch until I play this game - THAT was my point.

It's the game mine went up also from the other games i play GPU up 20C CPU up 15C

i5 2500k OC to 4.2 GHz cooled with a Hyper 212

6970 OC to 950/1425

I pulled off the 80 CFM on the CPU cooler and replaced it with 2 Scythe 110 CFM fans for push/pull and installed them in my other 4 case fan spots. Installed a drive bay fan controller, PCI slot fan blowing on the GPU, and a memory fan. Before i log in i turn the GPU fan to 80% and turn up all the case fans to max. This is my room when i start to play SWTOR.

https://live.staticflickr.com/3325/3526283133_28068b4f46_b.jpg

Edited by blowmedown

It's the game mine went up also from the other games i play GPU up 20C CPU up 15C

If you're saying your GPU is running at 35C... well, that's extremely cool for a modern CPU while playing a game.

As a comparison, your body temperature is around 37C, so it's likely that you're warming up your room than your computer is.

[Edit: OK, now I see what you're saying. Though, like the OP, you haven't said what your temps are, and I suspect they're normal.]

Edited by Pink_Saber

I see this all the time and no one knows.. I don't know why. The answer is you are getting too many fps. You are capping out at 111 frames everywhere except the fleet/wzs/operations. The SC2 battle.net menu was the same, people would get 100+ frames and it was burning up peoples cards.

Those that aren't getting heat issues are ones that don't have high end cards typically and aren't even breaking 60fps consistently.

Anyways, the third party solution is to get Nvidia Inspector which allows you to cap your frame rate. I capped mine at 59 and my temps went from 66c on average to 58c. I'm not aware of anything similar for AMD/ATI cards, but there might be something like that out there.

If your monitor can't render more than 60 frames per second, what's the point of having your GPU trying to churn out almost twice that amount? I too have my FPS capped at 60 and if memory serves, one of the graphics options in the game will do that for you.

Whenever I put my hand on the box it gets very warm and makes funny sounds. It tends to get moist, especially when I move my hand around but when I'm at my keyboard the box gets cold and very unpleasant to be around, making gameplay difficult to enjoy. Edited by Brebo