I can NOT believe SWG was cancelled because of SW:TOR!!!

dbseeker

swg was ahead of its time. Towards the end they had atmo flight with the ability to attack people on the ground, something this game will never EVER be able to do. Alot of potential wasted. After this game kicks the bucket im sure nobody is gonna try to touch the star wars ip for a long time.

SWG did the same thing this game did: released too early. there were no speeders, no space, and no jedi. Then when they bled out people they added those things but it was too late. Same thing will happen with this game because they forgot to add the MMO features. Edited by gryhmr

swg was ahead of its time. Towards the end they had atmo flight with the ability to attack people on the ground, something this game will never EVER be able to do. Alot of potential wasted. After this game kicks the bucket im sure nobody is gonna try to touch the star wars ip for a long time.

I'm sitting back in my chair with my face in my palm not believing that what transpired with SWG inevitable demise was a direct result of this pathetic excuse for an MMO's release. Lets be real. Had this game never been announced/released SWG would still be live. All that amazing content, gone...amazing crafting...gone...amazing space sim...gone...awesome open world pvp...gone...mixed factions...gone...unique classes...gone...secretive jedis (pre-nge) gone...fun chat bubbles...gone...talkative community...gone. And for what!? This!? Wooooooow:(

Edited by dbseeker

I'm sitting back in my chair with my face in my palm not believing that what transpired with SWG inevitable demise was a direct result of this pathetic excuse for an MMO's release. Lets be real. Had this game never been announced/released SWG would still be live. All that amazing content, gone...amazing crafting...gone...amazing space sim...gone...awesome open world pvp...gone...mixed factions and fun chat bubbles...gone...talkative community...gone. And for what!? This!? Wooooooow:(

you're extremely deluded.

SWG Never once broke 400k subs.

It never rose above 120k subs after the initial launch rush.

SWG was cancelled because it was a money-loser, plain and simple. It wasn't this nirvana of awesome - if it had been, it wouldnt have been such a dismal, utter failure.

Actually, I would likely buy into a game with of SWG's feature set IF it was a new game developed using an oiriginal IP and had nothing like Jedi or the force to fool with. It'd be a potential EVE sandbox killer. Edited by SDFX

I'm sitting back in my chair with my face in my palm not believing that what transpired with SWG inevitable demise was a direct result of this pathetic excuse for an MMO's release. Lets be real. Had this game never been announced/released SWG would still be live. All that amazing content, gone...amazing crafting...gone...amazing space sim...gone...awesome open world pvp...gone...mixed factions...gone...unique classes...gone...secretive jedis (pre-nge) gone...fun chat bubbles...gone...talkative community...gone. And for what!? This!? Wooooooow:(

QFE.

Way to make me feel sad. I hate reminiscing in the SWG nostalgia.

TOR is ******** and rushed by EA totaly unfinished. end of story. I'll keep myself away from any game from EA or Bioware since now.. and many of my friends either. we were just ****ed up that's it.

This game was in dev for atleast 5 years so that rushed/not finsihed thing makes me wonder what the in the world were they working on for all that time. The voices?

SWG was cancelled because it was a money-loser, plain and simple. It wasn't this nirvana of awesome - if it had been, it wouldnt have been such a dismal, utter failure.

You might want to do actually do research instead of pulling facts and figures out of thin air.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111549-SOE-Bids-Fond-Farewell-to-Star-Wars-Galaxies

"It was time to turn it off. We have a contractual relationship that's ending in 2012, The Old Republic launching, a bunch of other business things with LucasArts," Smedley said. "And then you look at the odds of a pretty large portion of the audience moving to TOR, which looks like a terrific game. I think that's going to be really well-received by the population." You can't deny Smedley's business sense there.

"But it hurts," Smedley said. "We knew, with the checkered past [of Galaxies], that this would not be a popular decision, but it was just one that we had to make."

If the intellectual property of Galaxies was wholly owned by SOE, then the decision might have been moot because the game would likely continue to make money for a long time, even with TOR lurking. "That's the problem with licenses: they end," Smedley said. "We're going to continue to do some licensed work, but we're largely going to stick to original IP [going forward] because then we won't have this issue. We'll never have this problem with EverQuest."

Interestingly enough, Smedley said that SOE had already renegotiated to extend the license a few times. "Back in 2001, not '03 when we launched, but back in 2001 when we [first] negotiated it, a five year license seemed like a really long god damn time," Smedley said. "EverQuest was only a year or so old at that point. Could we have renegotiated? Maybe, but I don't think that would be the right thing for the company."

you're extremely deluded.

SWG Never once broke 400k subs.

It never rose above 120k subs after the initial launch rush.

Listen, I don't care if it had 100k subs, or 10000000 subs, that game rocked the pants out of this pile of you know what. That game was ahead of its time. The developers thought creatively, out of the box and because of that the players were EXTREMELY loyal, make no mistake. To me, regardless of subs, felt FULL to me. I ALWAYS saw players, consistently.

Another thing, when I played SWG before NGE, I remember going to the Starport and seeing dozens and dozens and dozens of players happily and proudly displaying their ranks and titles, chatting, dueling, raging, laughing, etc, etc. Cantinas were lively with those being jam PACKED of players too. Heck, I would have to wait sometimes a while just to get a buff. And I know what you're thinking "who the hell wants to wait that long for a buff?" But you see, that was the beauty of that game. The demand was soooo high that it set the bar for players to not fool around and get themselves needlessly killed otherwise you'd have to come right back and wait for another buff.

But its not like it was that bad too cause Cantinas were hella fun. The girls buffing were cool to talk too and nice. And yes, they were girls because SWG catered to women really nicely. I mean I can go on and on about SWG that this thread would read like a book.

It was such an honor to reach cap lvl. I remember hitting lvl 80 BH and I was sooooo friggin proud of myself. Yes, it was a grind, but man, the feeling was just bliss. And what followed that was even more amazing.

Like I said, I can go on and on about SWG, but it wouldn't be fair and it would only sadden me more. I just simply can't believe its gone and all due to this pile of #$@%.

Edited by dbseeker

SWG PRE NGE was fun and had a lot of potential, but the shot- callers ruined the game. They should have held true to perma-death for Jedi, and never, ever should have instituted the combat revamp. Jedi and NGE were what killed SWG. They were both symptoms of bad leadership, business decisions.

In comparison, EVE launched shortly after SWG. It was far from perfect, however, those responsible for the game continued adding depth and content to EVE staying true to the one precept in that game: There are no rules in space.

That is, however, the difference between a big, vested company such as SOE, in comparison to (at the time of launch) a small and insignificant company such as CCP.

I respect CCP- the company listens to it's playerbase, but never to the detriment of the game. Now look at the success that CCP enjoys today. I sure hope Bioware emulates CCP rather than SOE on this one.

I remember when I played a human artisan in SWG for the first time all the chat bubbles where in alien languages, I was like heeeeelp I can't understand anything, then someone came along and taught me all the languages. =)

I thought they were all role playing lol.

SWG PRE NGE was fun and had a lot of potential, but the shot- callers ruined the game. They should have held true to perma-death for Jedi, and never, ever should have instituted the combat revamp. Jedi and NGE were what killed SWG. They were both symptoms of bad leadership, business decisions.

In comparison, EVE launched shortly after SWG. It was far from perfect, however, those responsible for the game continued adding depth and content to EVE staying true to the one precept in that game: There are no rules in space.

That is, however, the difference between a big, vested company such as SOE, in comparison to (at the time of launch) a small and insignificant company such as CCP.

I respect CCP- the company listens to it's playerbase, but never to the detriment of the game. Now look at the success that CCP enjoys today. I sure hope Bioware emulates CCP rather than SOE on this one.

tldr corprations are bad