The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

Loading screens into pointless airlocks isn't roleplaying.

It's not even a game... it's just stupid.

Does running through that airlock and orbital station actually add anything at all to the game?

Why you getting mad @ me. They guy said they were forcing role playing elements on him... In an RPG!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A loading screen is not immersion, and your point is invalid.

The load screen is a mechanic of the game engine. Are you saying you would be fine with the running through spaceports and orbital stations, clicking on things, if there was no or very reduced loading screens?

Intra-planetary travel is pretty much like SWG (once you've discovered a location). You just speeder there instead of insta-travel.

As for interplanetary travel, if you made it like SWG you've basically be negating any reason for having personal ships in the game.

I mean honestly... even having our own ships is kinda dumb. Anything related to our ship is single-player in an MMO game. Nobody else can even see my ship. It's not like I can do anything MMO-related on my ship. It just seems out of place.

You can AFK whenever you want... why have a travel system that promotes it?

Because it's a heck of a lot more immersive than the system is now. I'd much rather passively travel than have to sit through 8 loading screens. I loved my griffon afk time in WoW and I miss it. It was a great reminder that you should stand up, stretch your legs, fetch the laundry, etc. I understand that it's not for everyone, but I have to agree with the OP. I hate the current travel system because it's monotonous and repetitive.

The point is that it would make absolute logical sense to have quick travel to your ship available. It is directly in the text which "explains" quick travel in game. Thus, it is actually less immersive to not have it.

Quick travel to/from your ship would in my opinion be a good solution:

- you still get a sense of traveling, because you make the hyperjump with your ship

- you bypass repetitive loading screens and space stations

Hell, leave my ship in orbit around the world and let the shuttle that I call that magically takes me to bind points take me to my ship in orbit. Create a random chance that someone finds and tries to steal my ship, or attaches a tracking device because I chose not to use the space station. Add some story element to it.

Anything other than "you must go through the full string of loading screens and area transitions every bleeding time you travel.

Let's say for instance I'm on a planet and i want to go to the next planet...

I start off on planet A... I have to run through the pointless space station that for some reason looks the exact same on every planet...

I think I then have to zone into the hangar of my class... then I have to run all the way to shuttle or whatever...

Then for whatever reason I'm now on a pointless orbital station... god dammit! So I have to run to the next point where I have to zone... now I'm in a gosh darn airlock??? jesus Christ when will I get to my Spaceship...

Ok cool I'm finally on my spaceship... oh my god I wish my stupid droid had something else to say other than the same 5 lines every time I zoned in... I wish he would shutup already!

Ok cool, finally I'm ready to go to the planet I want... what the hell I'm in the gosh darn airlock again... awesome I'll just run through that again for whatever pointless reason...

Jesus Christ I'm on another orbital station. I guess I'll just spend more time running to the stupid shuttle... is there even a point to this stupid orbital station other than pissing me off...

Cool I'm finally on the planet I want... oh Jesus tapdancing Christ i have to run through the hangar again... oh look I zoned into the exact same space station again? is this even a different planet or am I on the same one? Guess I'll have to run through this generic space station to see what planet I'm on...

All that time wasted for no reason...

My point... please for the love of god BW... make travel between planets less painful...

I completely agree. especially about the cun n' paste space station design. 1st time I got to Tat I was thinking ***, the space station and Cantina are like on the last planet, just with more yellow in the color scheme.. just f*(king lazy.

If travel between planets means we engaged with unique vendor's, characters, quest givers or any kind of random events that make the trip interesting, I'd put up with it.

As this whole game is built from the same 20 cookie cutter templates, travel is nothing more than a mind numbing zero immersion time sink...

The point is that it would make absolute logical sense to have quick travel to your ship available. It is directly in the text which "explains" quick travel in game. Thus, it is actually less immersive to not have it.

Quick travel to/from your ship would in my opinion be a good solution:

- you still get a sense of traveling, because you make the hyperjump with your ship

- you bypass repetitive loading screens and space stations

Why bother building areas like spaceports if you will allow everyone to bypass them? QT was the solution, it gives you the ability to get somewhere quick if something comes up.

Really? You think the travel between planets is fun? Or even remotely engaging? Or does it make you want to stab yourself in the head with a fork?

This is supposed to be a fun game... not a drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

go play rayman or spyro or whatever PPL plz stop complaining about something we already do in real and just go play something else.man i swear us americans want everything like yesterday and if they cant get it there way all they do is b**** and moan

The load screen is a mechanic of the game engine. Are you saying you would be fine with the running through spaceports and orbital stations, clicking on things, if there was no or very reduced loading screens?

It would be more bearable than it is now, definitely, but that wouldn't fix the core issue that the travel is just needlessly tedious. But yes, removing the loading screens from the process would help a lot.

This is how I would want planetary travel to be:

Use quick travel/call beacon to get your ship to pick you up, or have spaceport where one single elevator/shuttle/whatever brings you to straight to your ship.

Once at ship, choose your destination. Map will tell you travel time. Travel time depends how far your destination is from where you are located yourself. If there would be any space missions on the way there, you would be offered to take part on them and this way getting a short cut to your destination. So you could either watch peacefull sceneries while your ship travels towars planet you want (bathroom break or get another beer), or you could travel there by doing space mission that is on the route, making it bit faster but having to participate more.

+1. Very good idea. Gives options to the player so they can either do the afk thing while flying through space, or combine the space battle system as part of the travel if they are looking to be involved throughout.

And it gets rid of all the pointless wandering through hallways and puts the travel element squarely where it needs to be in. Space.

They just need to optimize the game so the loading screens aren't so tedious.

Also, get rid of the useless orbital stations, move the vendors in some of those stations into the town.

Make it so we can Quick Travel to every point we've come across, across all planets.

and if you're lazy, it'd be nice to be able to purchase a 1hr CD space ship pass (I know there's a fleet pass).

I'm all for streamlining travel, but I don't want to make my ship useless, it's a big part of feeling like your traveling the galaxy. (Because, you know, it's your primary mode of transportation across planets and all)

I wish the travel system was slower and had more steps, and that I actually had to navigate through space (as in a game like EVE).

IOW, I want to:-

Walk/Run/Speeder to the Spaceport, through the spaceport, lifts, etc., to my spaceship's bay.

Get in the spaceship, get in my pilot's seat with the view of the docking bay in the windows, get ready for take off, THEN get the take off cutscene. (I hate it that you automatically take off as soon as you gtet in the ship, that's really bad BW - also the revers, that you have to face the door in order to initiate the landing sequence - so lame.)

Then I want to get out of orbit altogether, so I can see a third person view of the ship and the planet in the distance if I want to, and wander around in the solar system for a bit if i want to.

Then select a galactic destination, then hyperspace to it.

Then the reverse - I want to see myself landing, shutting the ship down, getting out of ship, etc.

But I would also like the option to spacebar through some of these steps when I am in a hurry.

Because it's a heck of a lot more immersive than the system is now. I'd much rather passively travel than have to sit through 8 loading screens. I loved my griffon afk time in WoW and I miss it. It was a great reminder that you should stand up, stretch your legs, fetch the laundry, etc. I understand that it's not for everyone, but I have to agree with the OP. I hate the current travel system because it's monotonous and repetitive.

How is an extremely long griffin ride (or other travel methods) where you can actually LEAVE the game more "immersive" than a travel system (that is faster BTW) where you actually have to interact with the game to get there?

Really, a travel system that promotes not playing the game is more immersive.... :rak_frown:

I disagree. Loading screens in EQ were quite immersive.

Oh and on a sidenote, good to see you still kicking around. I thought you canceled Mannic? What happened?

Where did you get the idea that I cancelled? Quote me in another post saying that I cancelled.

I don't want instant travel, but I agree that multiple loading screens just to get to my ship only to have to go through another set of multiple loading screens to disembark and get to my quest area is not compelling gameplay.

I wouldn't mind if it took the exact same amount of time to get from place to place if we could just dispense with the immersion-breaking loading screens.

It would be more bearable than it is now, definitely, but that wouldn't fix the core issue that the travel is just needlessly tedious. But yes, removing the loading screens from the process would help a lot.

So, can we just get to the point and agree that you (and others) find that a game that makes you doing anything as part of the travel system (outside of selecting the destination) is "broken" in your eyes?

Edited by Surakis

Im giving these guys time and see if the other parts might be part of a future plans for expansion type stuff and they wanted the framework in place for it.

I do find it annoying though, and would be happy if i didint have to shoot off to space just to get into my ship.. If they added a docktype choice where the ship stays where it is, that would be cool.

The system is ok with me as it is. I would like to see some minor adjustments to it however.

I cant see why mounts arent allowed in the space ports, i find it strange that they arent. One big improvement they could make right away is to allow mounts in the space port.

Playing an MMO is a lot about being organised, making sure that you manage your time properly will help a lot as well. If you are ping ponging between planets then you probably arent doing it right.

Edited by Hanscholo

So, can we just get to the point and agree that you (and others) find that a game that makes you doing annoying as part of the travel system (outside of selecting the destination) is "broken" in your eyes?

No, we can't, though I'm sure you will continue to construe it in that way in your effort to put those of us who don't like this travel system into the extreme fringe.

No, we can't, though I'm sure you will continue to construe it in that way in your effort to put those of us who don't like this travel system into the extreme fringe.

Sure we can. We've established that a faster, less time consuming travel method is inferior to an AFK-able travel method that takes considerable more time.

Now, when it is put into words it looks silly but that's what folks are arguing for.

Let's say for instance I'm on a planet and i want to go to the next planet...

I start off on planet A... I have to run through the pointless space station that for some reason looks the exact same on every planet...

I think I then have to zone into the hangar of my class... then I have to run all the way to shuttle or whatever...

Then for whatever reason I'm now on a pointless orbital station... god dammit! So I have to run to the next point where I have to zone... now I'm in a gosh darn airlock??? jesus Christ when will I get to my Spaceship...

Ok cool I'm finally on my spaceship... oh my god I wish my stupid droid had something else to say other than the same 5 lines every time I zoned in... I wish he would shutup already!

Ok cool, finally I'm ready to go to the planet I want... what the hell I'm in the gosh darn airlock again... awesome I'll just run through that again for whatever pointless reason...

Jesus Christ I'm on another orbital station. I guess I'll just spend more time running to the stupid shuttle... is there even a point to this stupid orbital station other than pissing me off...

Cool I'm finally on the planet I want... oh Jesus tapdancing Christ i have to run through the hangar again... oh look I zoned into the exact same space station again? is this even a different planet or am I on the same one? Guess I'll have to run through this generic space station to see what planet I'm on...

All that time wasted for no reason...

My point... please for the love of god BW... make travel between planets less painful...

Dont forget all the above and then.....launch (nice vid) run to the center of ya ship use the holoterminal......TO HAVE TO LAND ON THE SAME PLANET AGAIN lol, I always love that bit. Why they didnt just put an option to launch once ya in the ship i'll never know.