The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

Welcome to the 21st century, where everybody is in a hurry and in a race to go from point A to point B.

It's like that one commercial that has the advertisement with the song that says "I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now."

Yeah, the spoiled kiddies of today with there TV dinners and microwave ovens. With the attention span of about 2 minutes.

Oh you don't want to waste time traveling anywhere? Go play your first person shooters.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Maybe that is how it is with kids now a days, Im not a social sciences professor or anything.

The topic people are going back and forth about is elusive. The OP is talking about THE METHOD of travel, and is flamed by people arguing TIME. Its apples and oranges.

I personally hate the METHOD of getting from point A to point B. Time isnt the issue. Its the appalling nature of the sequence of events of getting planet to planet. And I think that is the issue one set of people are arguing about.

Somewhere somebody derailed the OPs topic (poor guy) and brought up subjects of TIME involved, when I think the people arguing against the current system are just saying its ugly, bothersome, not fun, underwhelming, underdeveloped, ETC.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not gonna lie, only read the first page, no way I'm reading 26 more pages of that whining and crying.

I mean....really? We're CRYING over the fact that it takes 2-3 MINUTES to travel between PLANETS?

Also, seriously, there's ONE big loading screen for the planet, the orbital/airlock screen just fades in and out.

You don't have to read the whole thing to know that this is not about "2-3 MINUTES", this is about the steps and tedium. It is clearly illustrated in the very first post in the thread. It seems you didn't even get that far.

Its boring, pointless, stupid and frustrating to those of us who have limited time to play.

It needs to be changed, Period. How this made it past Internal Testing, let alone, Beta, is beyond me.

I have been in other games where "travel time" is a problem. In those games, it was the Speed you traveled across the terrain that was the major problem. Not going from place to place.

Travel time in SWG was a big thing in SWG because the planets are huge. Traveling from 1 planet to another only had 1 load screen.

You don't have to read the whole thing to know that this is not about "2-3 MINUTES", this is about the steps and tedium. It is clearly illustrated in the very first post in the thread. It seems you didn't even get that far.

Again, ^ this ^

Stop trying to claim that all planets are like going to a Starter planet.

You do not have to go to an orbital station for non-starter planets.

If you make use of your Quick travel, it takes no more than 5-6 minutes to get from anywhere, to anywhere with a taxi (except starter planets).

Now compare that to the precious WoW which can take up to 15-20 minutes to get from one quest hub to another.

All that being said, you are correct... they should abolish the need for Orbital stations for starter planets (once you have your ship).

Some planets you do.

So your trolling then?

How does that change the fact that there are useless steps involved in every planet?

Good for you, now go away.

Wait, so you have a problem going ship --> starport now, skipping all the orbital station stuff?

Wait, so you have a problem going ship --> starport now, skipping all the orbital station stuff?

No?

do you plan to ever read threads you post in?

I mean it's right there.

How does that change the fact that there are useless steps involved in every planet?

Actually screw it, it's not worth responding any further to such an obvious troll, let's see how the forum ignore system works.

Edited by darkcerb

I don't like the system, bad for RP with other people since it's mostly instances, even didn't RP in spaceport today. Quit telling others what to do or what to post. This. Is. Not. A. Matter. Of. The. Time. Involved.

Did you just tell someone not to tell someone to do something while telling him to do somehting?

Did you just tell someone not to tell someone to do something while telling him to do somehting?

I did. I hoped the facetiousness would be obvious in the fact that I copied the structure and pattern of his post, simply changing the points of each clause.

As I've lvl'd up some more I now see why this thread is so long.

The traveling in this game is horrible. I want to help a friend on a quest on another planet but it will take 5 mins or more to get there? Completely unacceptable for an mmo.

So you don't like MMOs in general then? Seeing as SWTOR is one of the faster travel to any point in the universe games.

PS: You didn't get the memo: This isn't suppose to be about time.

...so what?

It's not a matter of time. It's a matter of tedium. In a game like World of Warcraft, you click on a compound flight path and go AFK for 10 minutes. In a game like The Old Republic, you click a doorway, run down a hall, click a doorway, run down a hall. If travel times are going to be non-negligible, the mere power to do *other things* is infinitely preferable to running down a hall, clicking, running, clicking, etc, etc, ad nauseam. Interactive tedium is tedium squared.

Please explain how a longer travel time that lets you AFK out is better game-play wise?

I am a Sith Lord

Member of the Dark Council

I have killed for pleasure

Extorted money

Yet I can't land my spaceship wherever I want?

I can only ride my speeder in designated areas?

Excuse me while I force lightening you to DEATH.

I have to call a shuttle to pick me up?

I'll quote Penny Arcade here:

I also really dislike the Orbital Stations. When someone on another planet asks for help I think “I’ll need to go from ship to airlock to hallway to elevator to orbital station to shuttle to spaceport to **** you I’m not helping you with that quest.” If I want to quick travel (or space hearth as we like to call it) I click on a doodad and a shuttle is sent to pick me up. How about you just send my ship? or a shuttle to take me to my ship or whatever just get me to my ship without making me go through a maze of hallways and load screens.

there should be at least an auto pilot where--"yes, all the animations of travel will occur as they do in the game presently"--with the exception that a player may afk the entire sequence and do some other activity, get a massage or something before coming back to the game.

No?

do you plan to ever read threads you post in?

I mean it's right there.

Actually screw it, it's not worth responding any further to such an obvious troll, let's see how the forum ignore system works.

Sorry I deconstructed your argument. Now you throw a hissy-fit and and claim to be taking your ball and going home?

there should be at least an auto pilot where--"yes, all the animations of travel will occur as they do in the game presently"--with the exception that a player may afk the entire sequence and do some other activity, get a massage or something before coming back to the game.

Why not just make it a teleport system? What point is there to building AFKable game content? May as well not put it in at all.

SWG employed an even slower tactic to planetary travel. Go into starport -> Purchase ticket to desired planet -> run to the ship -> (if there is a wait due to it just taking off) wait 5 minutes -> give droid your ticket, and finally load to the other planet. It changed a lot after JTL expansion, though.

I personally don't mind the travel in this game. I realize after WoW, people expect 1-button travel, but by no means is it standard. I also don't believe it is game breaking. How often do you travel between planets? I typically finish half my quests before ever going to the Fleet.

Yes for the love of god fix this and make it faster. I want to play the game not waste 2-3 hours a month traveling between planets. I mean all the space ports are basically the same design anyway just get rid of them. Edited by jakebbb

+1. You should be able to hearth to another planet, pure and simple.

No, you should be able to get into your ship and FLY directly to where you want to go, without going through an orbital station. You should just be able to fly anywhere that has a damn hangar...

Yes for the love of god fix this and make it faster. I want to play the game not waste 2-3 hours a month traveling between planets. I mean all the space ports are basically the same design anyway just get rid of them.

So, since you hate wasting time (which your comrades in arms have repeatably said is not the objection to the travel system, you should get on the same page as them) do you object for the time it takes, for example, to travel from a quest giver to the quest's location? If not, why does this travel time not bother you?

No, you should be able to get into your ship and FLY directly to where you want to go, without going through an orbital station. You should just be able to fly anywhere that has a damn hangar...

Isn't that the point of the orbital stations, for the most part, they are for places with out a starport and just a shuttle pad?

SWG employed an even slower tactic to planetary travel. Go into starport -> Purchase ticket to desired planet -> run to the ship -> (if there is a wait due to it just taking off) wait 5 minutes -> give droid your ticket, and finally load to the other planet. It changed a lot after JTL expansion, though.

I personally don't mind the travel in this game. I realize after WoW, people expect 1-button travel, but by no means is it standard. I also don't believe it is game breaking. How often do you travel between planets? I typically finish half my quests before ever going to the Fleet.

Dude, traveling from 1 continent to the other takes only a few minutes...by boat.

You run to a Dock, run on the boat, few mins later your on another Continent.

Not, run to Dock, wait in line to buy ticket, wait in line to board ship, wiat in line to check in, then Travel to another Continent....

And yet you fail to understand that it isn't really a matter of TIME but of processes. The time aspect is fine, its all the pointless buttons, screens, etc that make the travel very unappealing.

Actually, the process shouldn't matter at all. The fact is, you can get from anywhere to any quest hub in shorter time than any major MMO out there.

Worse yet, I hope you travel haters out there never play Silk Road Online. You had to literally trek across one massive section of land to a ferry (which was NOT like a spaceport, and having no checkpoints like taxi terminals), take said ferry, then trek again all the way across another large section of land just to get to the next major town. So in other words, you had no instant traveling methods, and had to cover 2 lengths of large space just to get to and from.

Oh, and don't forget all the aggro mob hell you had to go through while doing so - which were typically higher level than you. Of course there was one tele travel option, but it costs out the bum to use it - not practical for beginners or poor folks.

Edited by RocketbootsMOFO