Texture resolution.....

Qui-Zan

the graphics are acceptable to me, characters look great with the right body type and it has enough artistic quality overall and a sci-fi feel to keep me satisfied.

stuff like the voice acting allows you to look past not having the most amazing graphics ever imo.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same problem, turned everything to LOW, restarted the game, turned everything to HIGH and restarted again. Now I see beautiful, detailed textures, no more "fuzzy and washed out". Seems the client sometimes ignores the settings and loads the low quality textures.

I like how people ignore suggestions on how to fix a problem and continue to complain.

Thanks for the tip Khelien!

I never had a problem with the graphics, but I may try this out just to see if I'm missing anything.

go to:

C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Local\SWTOR\betatest\settings \clientsettings.ini

edit these to your content (I use notepad++):

Height = 1080

Width = 1920

D3DFullScreen = true

PlantDensity = 150

Height = 1080

NativeHeight = 1080

NativeWidth = 1920

Width = 1920

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

DynamicLightsLimit = 2

MeshLODQuality = 1

TextureAnisotropy = 8 (or whatever you like, 2, 4, 8, 16)

FarClipScale = 4

VerticalSyncState = true

doShadows = true

UseMinSpecShaders = false

EnableBloom = true

FullScreen = true

TextureQuality = 0

AllowDepthOfField = true

GammaRamp = 1.037854

SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25

AntiAliasingLevel = 4 (or whatever you like, 2, 4, 8, 16)

DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true

save when finished and enjoy :)

Remove yellow

Has anyone tried changing "TextureQuality = 0" to 1 or something?

Has anyone tried changing "TextureQuality = 0" to 1 or something?

Yes. I have. (see my thread) for screenshot comparisons.

Basically, 0 = max texture detail. This will show up at the character select screen, but when you are actually in-game, you will be forced with same same texture resolution you get at TextureQuality = 1.

So, through experimentation and screenshots, I have concluded that your in-game character (minus the character select screen), is locked at TextureQuality = 1, which is "medium" textures.

There doesn't seem a way to get high quality textures in-game (only at the character select screen.

Yes. I have. (see my thread) for screenshot comparisons.

Basically, 0 = max texture detail. This will show up at the character select screen, but when you are actually in-game, you will be forced with same same texture resolution you get at TextureQuality = 1.

So, through experimentation and screenshots, I have concluded that your in-game character (minus the character select screen), is locked at TextureQuality = 1, which is "medium" textures.

There doesn't seem a way to get high quality textures in-game (only at the character select screen.

Thanks for posting that, it confirms what I've been suspecting.

I really hope they plan on fixing this - for those of us with systems that can easily handle high textures during intensive gameplay it's downright annoying to be stuck at medium most of the time.

Most of the ground and building textures are "ok" with 8x AF forced (they could almost fool me into thinking it's 'high'), but there's no fixing some of the more washed-out ground textures, nor the armors, which I think look pretty poor even on medium (I mean I can take low-rez, but these aren't just lower resolution, they're just a blurry mess).

Edited by Amarinth

Age of Conan had great graphics, so good most people couldnt even run it on the highest settings.

Did that do the game a lot of good on launch?

I'm really into graphics aswell and always try to play it as high as possible. But i do understand why the graphics are what they are now in this mmo.

Any reason why they can't have a wider spectrum? All we're talking about here is TEXTURES...c'mon people

Posted this in my own thread, but I don't think we are seeing the texture resolution that we should. I took screenshots for proof.

You are totally right that we are seeing texture 1/med during normal gameplay and texture 0/high during char creation/selection and in-game cutscenes. So this means the textures are already there in the client, but they are simply denying us from using them globally. You can even use the Halo-cam and it renders the textures at high for pics... which makes me think they may not change/fix this for some time as it is intended to be this way. I hope not.

I like the graphics. I have a VERY meaty, fast and powerful computer so i've turned every single option on the high

aha

ahahahaha

ahahahahahaha

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

oh man. I'm thinking of making something like "I have a VERY meaty, fast and powerful computer I can run SWTOR on high" my sig!

Edited by Harower

People jumped all over me in beta for saying essentially the same thing.

the fanbois were going on about how the gfx were all "turned down" for beta and how they'd be awesome on release, I said that it wouldn't happen and now we see who was right.

Its a shame since the current texture res doesn't even push 4 year old hardware much less anything newer.

Read the front page sorry if this has been settled

From what I read of those graphics threads, the people were complaining about the "graphics" and not the "textures"... there's a difference...

Go into your ini file in your game folder (or just search ini and it should show), double click that and then add this into it:

[Renderer]

Height = 1200

Width = 1920

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

DynamicLightsLimit = 4

MeshLODQuality = 1

TextureAnisotropy = 16

FarClipScale = 3.9371195

PlantDensity = 200

D3DFullScreen = true

NativeHeight = 1200

NativeWidth = 1920

doShadows = true

doBlobShadows = true

EnableBloom = true

VerticalSyncState = true

FullScreen = true

TextureQuality = 0

AllowDepthOfField = true

GammaRamp = 1.037854

AntiAliasingLevel = 8

enableadvenvirolighting = true

[Game]

Only if you have a good rig, not for low or medium.

Then after you have, save it and then change the file setting to read only so it doesn't get wiped out when loading the game.

A lot of these options are not available ingame.

Edited by LeeAntony

not a fanboy in the slightest. just an experienced MMO player and knows what to actually expect from this genre of game. cant expect Crysis graphics on an MMO - pure and simple!

get a clue please =]

You totally can, and should, and like others have mentioned other MMO's have aimed for that higher bar in the past easily.

Check out this MMO that came out in 2008:

Go into your ini file in your game folder (or just search ini and it should show), double click that and then add this into it:

[Renderer]

Height = 1200

Width = 1920

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

DynamicLightsLimit = 4

MeshLODQuality = 1

TextureAnisotropy = 16

FarClipScale = 3.9371195

PlantDensity = 200

D3DFullScreen = true

NativeHeight = 1200

NativeWidth = 1920

doShadows = true

doBlobShadows = true

EnableBloom = true

VerticalSyncState = true

FullScreen = true

TextureQuality = 0

AllowDepthOfField = true

GammaRamp = 1.037854

AntiAliasingLevel = 8

enableadvenvirolighting = true

[Game]

Only if you have a good rig, not for low or medium.

Then after you have, save it and then change the file setting to read only so it doesn't get wiped out when loading the game.

A lot of these options are not available ingame.

You totally can, and should, and like others have mentioned other MMO's have aimed for that higher bar in the past easily.

Check out this MMO that came out in 2008:

Age of Conan is not Crysis graphics. its not.

the point im trying to put across is that in order to keep raids of sort - 30 people on screen at once all doing their own thing etc - at a respectable performance level, you cant expect top of the line gfx. just wont happen until every user has super fast 20+ mb broadband and all have computers that can handle it. but as it stands, people dont.

i know shock right?! who are these poor peasant scum?!!? <- (sarcasm)

OK, the grpahics could improve. However they probably will implement better features. if you remember correctly the likes of LOTRO did not launch with DX11 capabilities. Patience is key.

Its already announced that very soon AA will be properly implemented without needing to edit .ini configs (btw when i add "AntiAliasingLevel = <insert num here>" the game client doesnt load :( ).

im just fed up of people complaining instead of playing. im LOVING the game for what it is already. I just find some people feel they have to complain about anything for the sake of it...

IMO id rather have steady decent performance > top notch graphics anywho...

each to their own. also im not commenting any further on these threads. infact im boycotting these forums coz they just get me angry and annoyed/frustrated. lol :)

queue the "lolz fanboy r0tfl n00b" comments because i really dont care :D :D :D

May the force be with you! Im away to do a Darth Doody...

each to thier own with the graphics, most games i could play at max or if not max then very close to it, but that can cause stuttering at times, the graphics in most games dont make a huge difference from low to high, its usually cosmetic things like shadows and lighting, stuff that after a while you dont even notice, so if my fps is low then i just turn off some of the cosmetic features forget i had done it and have higher fps as a result. Win Win.

You must be new to MMOs. As an online game, MMOs are always years behind the current peak of graphics quality, so less information is being transferred over internet connections, and so people with lower-end computers can still play. Using the best graphics would cause too much internet lag in an online game.

Bro, graphics and internet have nothing to do with eachother, do you actually beleive every frame gets streamed to your computer?

NO graphical information is sent over the internet, please dont spread information if you have no idea what your talking about.

hope someone can help me i have got into the early access but after my character is created i cant see my character when the game play starts. Its like the foreground is in the way of the screen and its large blocks of colour. I have changed the in game settings and its made the slightest difference. i would list my spects but i know nothing about computers im helpless!

Could someone please help me!

Thanks