The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What SWTOR will be

Sarfux

you highly underestimate what this game offers and people don't give games a chance these days. It's sad really

Bugs can be fixed(would be extremely long job as of the looks now but ok), content can be added. BUT the whole style and the whole static instanced prison planet system must be changed.

MMOs are about dynamic content, not static content (story).

In my opinion the biggest thing is really the dead worlds, the mazes walls and blockades everywere, instances which even get you more claustrophobic and you need to walk the same route over and over, and the way you use your spaceship(which feels like a load screen between load screens instead of being a real spaceship). This entire game is not even a themepark its just a railtrack in a themepark(remember walking back where you came in in an instanced quest? trains need to do the same xD)... To be short everything lacks freedom, even the sentences you chose are not out of free choice but to farm alignment and/or affection points.

It must be changed so the game goes more towards a feeling like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZfQ4MYREfA&feature=channel_video_title

Planets/Space need to be changed in this game.

Other MMOs did create free lands and some of the feeling of you are in a world.

Edited by Rigota

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerly Hope that when GW2 releases there Are no bugs/glitches, it's fun to level a character and the end game content is vast, diverse and can keep Even the hardcore guilds satisfied for months to come.

<3

People are forgetting the WoW launch. It was a disaster. Everything you can say "but SWTOR..." no, it was 100x worse when WoW launched.

"BUT THIS IS 2012 HOW CAN A GAME HAVE BUGS?"

yeah... we said that in 2008 about AoC

yeah... we said that in 2007 about LOTRO

yeah... we said that in 2004 about WoW

yeah... we said that in 2001 about Ultimate Online: Third Dawn

yeah... we said that in 1999 about Everquest

-

We have been complaining about MMO launches since MMOs came out. They have ALWAYS been a disaster for their first year, always, without fail, and then they get their stuff together.

I'm actually amazed at how playable and enjoyable SWTOR is at launch.

<3

People are forgetting the WoW launch. It was a disaster. Everything you can say "but SWTOR..." no, it was 100x worse when WoW launched.

"BUT THIS IS 2012 HOW CAN A GAME HAVE BUGS?"

yeah... we said that in 2008 about AoC

yeah... we said that in 2007 about LOTRO

yeah... we said that in 2004 about WoW

yeah... we said that in 2001 about Ultimate Online: Third Dawn

yeah... we said that in 1999 about Everquest

-

We have been complaining about MMO launches since MMOs came out. They have ALWAYS been a disaster for their first year, always, without fail, and then they get their stuff together.

I'm actually amazed at how playable and enjoyable SWTOR is at launch.

Rift completely dismantles your argument. Extremely polished launch with very few bugs. Definitely nothing that was as game-breaking as the Bounty Hunter class quest bug.

Rift completely dismantles your argument. Extremely polished launch with very few bugs. Definitely nothing that was as game-breaking as the Bounty Hunter class quest bug.

Or you cant reach datacrons (BT3) looks like its not even tested.

A lot of new MMO's are coming out this year with actual innovations, Bioware will be lucky not to bleed a ton of subs to each of these, and what is left will be fanbois who will never point out their flaws and make this game better. The death of this game is fanbois, they tell Bioware everything is perfect when it's not, and Bioware isn't gaining any more fanbois, they are losing them, so if fanbois are the subs Bioware's after well have fun with that, at the current moment their game lacks mass appeal, and with the speed of leveling/lack of 50 content many players have already run into the wall of little if anything to do in the game. Re rolling alts is cool, but it should never be the main focus of an MMO. Go look up Secret World/GW2 videos, and tell me that this game has anything innovative compared to those....

Providing helpful criticism of the game is what is needed, not the hundreds of morons spamming "game is ****, i'm not subbing again for this piece of crap".

Bugs can be fixed(would be extremely long job as of the looks now but ok), content can be added. BUT the whole style and the whole static instanced prison planet system must be changed.

MMOs are about dynamic content, not static content (story).

In my opinion the biggest thing is really the dead worlds, the mazes walls and blockades everywere, instances which even get you more claustrophobic and you need to walk the same route over and over, and the way you use your spaceship(which feels like a load screen between load screens instead of being a real spaceship). This entire game is not even a themepark its just a railtrack in a themepark(remember walking back where you came in in an instanced quest? trains need to do the same xD)... To be short everything lacks freedom, even the sentences you chose are not out of free choice but to farm alignment and/or affection points.

It must be changed so the game goes more towards a feeling like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZfQ4MYREfA&feature=channel_video_title

Planets/Space need to be changed in this game.

Other MMOs did create free lands and some of the feeling of you are in a world.

All of these changes are very unlikely, as they would be fundamental, rather than incremental.

The main issue, I think, people are having with TOR relates to the main, principal design decision -- that is, to make an MMO which is focused on a storyline, rather than dynamic content. This was always a controversial decision, and now that the game is made we can see why: most MMO players don't want, and don't value, a story-centric approach to an MMO game. It's what Bio does when it designs games, but in many ways it doesn't fit what the MMO market wants in an MMO, I think. Admittedly, even a fan of BioWare's games would probably admit that this approach works much better in a single player game like Mass Effect than it does in an MMO.

Changing this, however, is about as likely as changing the theme of the game to a wild west theme. Because this is a fundamental design premise of the game.

I remember a few months ago all the people claiming this will be the definite wow killer, and all the people flaming G4TV for saying it will die/never reach even a portion of wow subs. Where is your god now commoners? :D Having less than 50 people on imperial fleet on half the servers during peak times sure sounds like an army massing up to face Azeroth.

If this is a wow killer, then I'm seriously sad I won't be a part of such beautiful murder.

Edited by Schnerf

Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the game of the new generation. Slowly but surely it will crawl, walk, run, sprint..and just keep on going and chuggin along. BioWare will not disappoint. This is their baby and they are proud of it. They are trying so hard to please mainly everyone for the majority of the game.

This game will continue to grow and get better as time goes on. More planets will get added, more gear, more raids, more planets, more weapons, more major content, more story. This game will be the next mmo giant and the game to beat in the coming years. You just watch!

Listen guys...they are fixing lots of bugs, they are coming out with content, they will keep adding more stuff we want. This is their plan, they launched with the stuff they had and just keep on adding the stuff players want little by little to keep people coming back for more because they will keep releasing content update patches every month or close to that. I believe BioWare keeps the community at heart when releasing this content and just know they can't do everything right now.

The things that you guys want, whether it be sitting in chairs, swimming, day/night cycle, weather, they WILL come in time :) The heroengine is getting updates constantly and performance issues ARE being worked on! This is one of the smoothest mmos ever and the running looks VERY good. You can't argue that. The environments and running feels natural.

Great game BioWare keep it up :)

they stole blizzards baby , gave the trolls and elves glowsticks and a patato sack as armor and released it , why this thing took 6 years to create i have no idea.

It sucks , in almost every way , so you can yoda along , i know there's loads of people not taking this crap

Wish i could ask my money back for this overhyped crappy panda clone

The TORtanic argument is just something low-tier trolls mop up from some neckbeard busy enough to go to that effort to make such an insult.

This game is going to be #1 very soon.

lol? Just wait until Feb. 1st. That's when Bioware is legally obligated to share their subscription numbers with their investors.

I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.

Herbert Bayard Swope (1882 - 1958)

Wow, finally found something worthy of my sig:)

Funcom has nothing to do with GW2.

Nobody said it did, except the for person who saw a post I made about both GW2 and Secret World and for some reason thought I was saying GW2 was made my Funcom.

Someone said they were excited for GW2 and The Secret World, and I responded that I'm optimistic about GW2 but would never buy a Funcom game again after suffering through the releases of AO and AoC.

Roflmao... Who are exactly haters in your mind? If I say that game currently is unplayable garbage. Am I hater? Fans taken things it to very extreme, I see. What you trying prove?

If BW will not sort out current bugged mess, they might don't see any peoples "crawling" back.

Would you mind reposting this jargon in less hateful wording, and something more constructive? Something more intelligible. Less yoda wanna be please. Do you actually play with garbage?

1) Um..do you not read many web sites? Massively forums, Giant in the Play Ground, Cursed? How about 2/3 of the post on this forum? The community has already dubbed this game a failure.

2) I was in WoW at its original release; what crack are you smoking. People were praising it because it was much more player friendly than its competition in the day, Asherons Call and Everquest. It had an actual quest system, auction house, more interesting class interaction mechanics, etc.

3) What does this game offer? People say this and I always find it bemusing.

It offers voice overs. Other games have similar plot, its just in quest text so people ignore it. In SWTOR, after 20-30 levels, you end up space barring through it.

Companions are dressed up class pets. Very well dressed up mind you, I will concede that it is 'unique'.

Space Combat is at most a mini game, other games have mini games ..

The class design is stolen from WoW, almost verbatum in certain classes cases (Sith Warrior=WoW Warriors, complete with sunder, charge(force lead), a rage mechanic system, etc).

Lets count instead how it failts

GTN is horribly implemented

PvP was horribly implemented

Operations are a joke. Most guilds cleared out EV within 2-3 days of starting it. No WoW raid was ever that easy, even the Cata starting content that players critisized heavily for being too easy (and thus leaving them with nothing to do) was not that easy.

The game lags to all **** if there are 20 + players on the screen, regardless of your system specs. This has been confirmed on a number of forums, even with INI changes and driver updates. The issue is the band game engine.

No LFG Tool (most modern games launch with this)

No customizable UI (games launch with this since 2008. Every MMO since warhammer had a customizable UI at launch)

No Combat Log (Hello Kitty Online even has this)

No Macros (Again, Hello Kitty Online even has this)

What SWTOR Offers is simple; Star Wars. And some of you are blind to this being a crappy game because ZMOG LIGHTSABERS AND DARK SIDE POINTS(Which mean nothing at all).

Every single thing you mention doesn't even come within Hubble Telescope distance from being a "requirement".

Outside of a few things they could streamline (such as GTN) and a few bugs, this game is WoW but much more interesting. I know that having smooth features (again, like a functioning GTN) would be nice, but if that is a basis for your quitting or "hating" the game you probably wouldn't like it even if the GTN worked like eBay.

Macros aren't needed, there is a LFG (it just doesn't have the insta q a group of NPCs like WoW had), and logs and customizable UI are coming. You can wait and see, or you can continue to whine, like so many other idiots, that "SWTOR isn't innovative" while simultaneously whining that "SWTOR isn't enough like old games".

I remember seeing posts like this in the Vangard: SoH forum not long after release.

lol yeah Vanguard. I was in beta for that and people were calling it the WOW killer.. The beta game was awful and the release game just like the beta.

This game will continue to grow and get better as time goes on. planets will get added, more gear, more raids, more planets, more weapons, more major content, more story. This game will be the next mmo giant and the game to beat in the coming years. You just watch!

So what you are saying is that we are going to see some new planets?

Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the game of the new generation. Slowly but surely it will crawl, walk, run, sprint..and just keep on going and chuggin along. BioWare will not disappoint. This is their baby and they are proud of it. They are trying so hard to please mainly everyone for the majority of the game.

This game will continue to grow and get better as time goes on. More planets will get added, more gear, more raids, more planets, more weapons, more major content, more story. This game will be the next mmo giant and the game to beat in the coming years. You just watch!

Listen guys...they are fixing lots of bugs, they are coming out with content, they will keep adding more stuff we want. This is their plan, they launched with the stuff they had and just keep on adding the stuff players want little by little to keep people coming back for more because they will keep releasing content update patches every month or close to that. I believe BioWare keeps the community at heart when releasing this content and just know they can't do everything right now.

The things that you guys want, whether it be sitting in chairs, swimming, day/night cycle, weather, they WILL come in time :) The heroengine is getting updates constantly and performance issues ARE being worked on! This is one of the smoothest mmos ever and the running looks VERY good. You can't argue that. The environments and running feels natural.

Great game BioWare keep it up :)

I'm going to respectfully disagree. This game follows the same tired formula of the last decade and really doesn't improve on anything past presentation. To call a game something akin to "next generation" there has to be some sort of improvement beyond the old system. I'm not saying the trinity system doesn't have a place, but in order to expand the market there needs to be improvements. GW2 looks more like a next generation game to me. It's not lazily regurgitating the same system we have seen in other MMOs. It's looking at the system from the bottom up and taking risks with its design.

Considering all the problems with PvP and the end game going, a lot of people are reaching lvl 50 and are wondering what to do next. Bioware needs to step it up or they will risk alienating a lot of people. Until they do, its way to soon to come on the forums like a Bioware spokesman and toot this game as the end all be all.

Edited by JasonSavo