Server population is dropping...

Miffy

They just had a news article about it, 1.7 million ACTIVE accounts.... majority of that are re-subs...

Whats with people and the sky is falling....

Of course we had long que's... for 1) New MMO and 2) it was a Holiday week, most people had two weeks off to play non stop, now most of us have to go back to work and get back to our regular schedules which means a lot less gaming time...

Many people aren't saying that the sky is falling, only that their server is dead or dieing. What's happening is the heavy servers are growing and the low pop servers are being abandoned.

People asking for server merges / transfers aren't necessarily saying the game is failing. I happen to really enjoy the game, but my server is a ghost town and so I am forced to either reroll all my characters, continue leveling by myself, or quit.

This is why I am irritated that the community managers keep closing threads and pointing people to this one.

There are two different topics here:

1) those who think the game is failing

2) those who know their server population is low and/or falling and want mergers/transfers

You can argue for point 2 without necessarily believing point 1.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone who has cancelled and left, but still has time on their account, is considered an "active sub". Using dev spin to support your argument fails.

I think you're making your own spin here as well.

Everyone who didn't continue after the first free month is excluded, so it's only people who started playing in December and continued their sub after the 1st month ended, and those that started in January and were still in their free month at the end of Jan.

No matter how you want to look at those facts, 1.7 million subs after the first month ended is still a hell of a lot of subs and players, and a whole lot more than other MMO launches had.

Then again, SWTOR also has the most servers at launch than any MMO had. WAR and Rift only had about 100, and both MMO's had iirc an ingame population cap around 2k players logged in.

Edited by dyves

My server (Lord Calypho) population is doing great. When I was in earlier today (it was either standard or heavy), there were at least 1000 Republic online at one time (yes I counted lol).

Since the Empire population is a lot higher (I've even heard it is up to 4 to 1 empire to republic) I'm sure there were at least 1000 Empire on.

Over 2000 people online at once time doesn't sound like a dropping population to me. If anything I'm seeing more and more people every day.

Edited by Waupli

Everyone who has cancelled and left, but still has time on their account, is considered an "active sub". Using dev spin to support your argument fails.

The majority of those "active sub's" started on Dec 20th, so there accounts would of been cancelled on Jan 20th.... Sure maybe some resubed and then week later changed there mind and quit, but I doubt it's as many as your suggesting...

I like how people spin their opinions as facts, or how they think just because their server feels low on population that its that way with every server....

Yes we know Zorvan that your opinion is the one that the world revolves around so if you say SWTOR is crash and burning it most be so..... :rolleyes:

P.S. Please post your evidence that shows SWTOR is failing...

Edited by Monoth

My server (Lord Calypho) population is doing great. When I was in earlier today (it was either standard or heavy), there were at least 1000 Republic online at one time. Since Empire population is a lot higher (I've even heard it is up to 4 to 1 empire to republic) I'm sure there were at least 1000 Empire on.

Over 2000 people online at once time doesn't sound like a dropping population to me. If anything I'm seeing more and more people every day.

I'm glad that the population of your server is growing. This is not the case for my server and many like it.

Oh, yes. I'd better hurry and cash these Vivendi checks before the stores close.:rolleyes:
Well, not sure what server you're on and I can't speak for other servers, but ours (Mask of Nihilus) averages 100+ in almost every zone but the starter areas and close to 200 in fleet during peak. That's up almost 20% in 2 weeks. If you can handle an empty stringer, then we most definitely can handle sharing the lake. Just hope you're doing it right. Ya know: folding lounge chair ... tackle box full of hooks, lines & sinkers ... cooler packed with your favorite beverage ... WoW AH app open on your iPhone ... Oh, don't forget those generous coats of sunscreen - because it's sunny and HOT out there! Edited by GalacticKegger

I think you're making your own spin here as well.

Everyone who didn't continue after the first free month is excluded, so it's only people who started playing in December and continued their sub after the 1st month ended, and those that started in January and were still in their free month at the end of Jan.

No matter how you want to look at those facts, 1.7 million subs after the first month ended is still a hell of a lot of subs and players, and a whole lot more than other MMO launches had.

Then again, SWTOR also has the most servers at launch than any MMO had. WAR and Rift only had about 100, and both MMO's had iirc an ingame population cap around 2k players logged in.

People had to either enter a cc number OR A TIME CARD to activate those accounts in December. People who left BUT STILL HAVE TIME BECAUSE THEY HAD TO USE A TIME CARD TO ACTIVATE THEIR ACCOUNT are STILL COUNTED AS "ACTIVE SUBS".

Now, was that plain enough for you?

People had to either enter a cc number OR A TIME CARD to activate those accounts in December. People who left BUT STILL HAVE TIME BECAUSE THEY HAD TO USE A TIME CARD TO ACTIVATE THEIR ACCOUNT are STILL COUNTED AS "ACTIVE SUBS".

A time card? Yes. Becasue there is active time on the account.

Entered CC info? Nope. All you had to do was cancell before the 30 days and you would not be billed. Standard practice.

I am an active sub, as I bought a 60 day card. I will be an active sub untill that time runs out, or I buy another card. (I'll be buying my card on Wednesday, when I get paid.)

Sure, it's plain that you have an agenda, an anti-TOR bias and an understanding problem: but besides that, like I said, people who started playing in December and didn't continue their subscription after the free month aren't counted in the 1.7 million. Simple as that.

Edited by dyves

I filled up my friend's list with all the high level Republic PvPers that I liked playing with, and it's pretty sobering how few people are on any more or are spending any significant amount of time on.

I think a lot of people were planning on playing SWTOR as just a transitory title, and it's amazing how that line of thinking makes pushing through some of the end game grind seem so pointless.

I'm glad that the population of your server is growing. This is not the case for my server and many like it.

my server is dropping,

during our main play time,

just 3x ppl on the fleet,

and few player ding 50,

to group for a HM more than one hour several times.

it is a horrible thing about population dropping so fast.

wrong, that is BW waste our money,

and what exactly EA want players to do,

u can quit, cancel ur sub, or reroll.

Okay, so why are you still on the forums?

if you quit, why are you here?

If you canceled your sub...^

If you rerolled, you would be playing it right now...

Also, how are they wasting your money, you can quit whenever you feel like it, they arent forcing you to do anything. Games in general ARE a waste of money anyways.

Everytime i see this post surface to the top of the forum... I just keep thinking...

"The British are coming!!"

I blame the pain meds that I have to be on due to surgery.. but ya.. i get a chuckle everytime i see this thing! LMAO :D

However, on my server i see no drastic slumps, a slight change but nothing game breaking. However, being im in Okinawa, Japan my hours are not during US peak hours all the time.

Edited by Creedon

I play on both the US and EU servers and during the typical 'peak hours' I haven't noticed a significant drop off at all. The Hidden Beks server for example still hits heavy load around 8PM GMT and continues like that all the way through to midnight. If you go to the fleet station during this time you easily have around 180 people there and the game becomes a lag fest.

By contrast I play on the US servers both during their off-peak hours and at the start of peak. My highest level character is always on the US server. Places like Hoth and Belsavis typically have less than a dozen people online during off peak and even during peak hours those worlds are largely empty.... however.. if I log on my characters on the US server that are in the 20s range it is another story entirely. Very busy even at the start of peak.

At the end of the day it comes down to this.

The vast majority of players do not have level 40+ characters, therefore these worlds are largely empty when you get to them. Secondly, if you play outside of peak hours you see a significant drop off in population simply because people are at work or in schools/colleges.

All in all, there is absolutely nothing to worry about and a server merge at this point would be premature.

server status isn't there to tell you how populated Ilum is. It's purpose is to tell you how full the server is.

A light server could have more then 3 people on Ilum.

Yeah they might have 4 players in ilum bro, Light servers don't have more then 250 players online in total. It's pretty bad.

Always difficult to say, I dont get home from work till 10pm so I usually see around 40-50 people in fleet but I have at times seen it at 150-250.

People are doing alts for legacy I guess and Endgame atm is a bit tedious.

Whilst I'm not sure that a LFG would be a good idea I have to admit that finding a flashpoint is driving people away. I've played under 5 games of HM Flashpoints since i've hit 50, which is about 3 weeks past. Very few of the guild are on late and are required rank etc. And I do have about 50friends on my list, it just seems there's never more than 1 or 2 on.

The games boring as all hell now.

You get a level 50, then find out end game sucks.

You roll a few alts but its boring and many story lines are weak.

Crafting, meh, done it once ..... no thanks.

Space combat = yawn.

So people did not subscribe and have moved on. As I will be soon.

Game just did not have enough content for encouraging group play, still feels like a solo game. Now I can not even fill a 4 man for heroics on level 36+ planets because the player base is too small, or players just can not be bothered.

The games boring as all hell now.

You get a level 50, then find out end game sucks.

You roll a few alts but its boring and many story lines are weak.

Crafting, meh, done it once ..... no thanks.

Space combat = yawn.

So people did not subscribe and have moved on. As I will be soon.

Game just did not have enough content for encouraging group play, still feels like a solo game. Now I can not even fill a 4 man for heroics on level 36+ planets because the player base is too small, or players just can not be bothered.

This was pretty much my experience. The game doens't feel very busy at all. I've tried alts even rolling on both sides and it's just boring to repeat the same content.

Clearly some love it but it's just too quiet for me :(

1.7 million people disagree with this thread.

Sure, if the 1.7 million people all happened to be on the same server they might all disagree.

Being one of those people though I know for a fact that the population on my server has dropped quite a bit.

Everytime I see these threads I see more and more people saying 'my server is great, so everything is fine'.

Do you not understand that other servers could be having serious population problems?