Will Republic *ever* get Purple crystals?

AJediKnight

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your all just sad ya picked the wrong side. The empire is rocking the awesome and the Republic gets left in the dust. Just suck it up and re-roll, in one month *bam* purple crystal problem solved.

(And no I'm not completely serious its 4:00am here and ya....) Anyway Empire still has a lot of things that are superior to the Rep and Purple crystals are on the bottom of the list.

A mere hint of faction uniqueness, and it is promptly attacked with due vigor. :(

Factions *should* have unique assets by *design*, for that is part of the foundation of good faction philosophy. To make factions similar is not good faction design, it represents the opposite of good faction design, that of regretting you implemented them in the first place.

---

Bioware has done all it can to put the players in straightjackets so they don't have to do the 'work' involved with character customization. It starts at the character creation screen and never stops.

I'd love to blame EA for this, but they're the guys who make The Sims - where you can customize everything down to the color of your toenails.

And for the movie/canon argument. The "Empire" in this game has nothing to do with the "Empire" in the movies (prequels or original). The Republic probably changed a lot over the millenia intervening as well. But Bioware deliberately puts in things like "separatists" to make people think we're playing in the Clone Wars or something...

The game is like a purebred racehorse, that keeps getting whacked in the knees every time it starts to run...

The real issue here is that no matter what side you play, at 50 all BHs will look the same, all Jedi Knight classes will look the same and all Sith Inquisitors will end up looking the same. This is because all end-game gear is not slotted and no craftable gear scales into even the remote bottom end of the easiest to get PvP gear item.

Therefore, crafting is an utter waste of time and credits. All the collected gear you've been getting for a unique look is null and void at 50 unless you plan on nerfing yourself into uselessness. The 2 million or so credits it cost you to flesh out 3 skills to 400 and amass an assortment of seemingly useful recipes are rendered 100% obsolete the instant you ding 50. You can't use the gear and nobody buys the gear because of its said uselessness. You realize you wasted hours and hours, countless credits and time on something that is completely and utterly useless. All of the customization and nifty slotting mechanics... rendered null and void at 50.

This is also why so many L50s are abandoning this game.

Except there are the mods and enhancements in the endgame armour, they have already stated they are also making the armorings removable too. And the Crafted gear is definitly better than the lowest PvP level gear for all bar possibly guns. (and the crafted rakata armour for any armortechs is actually better than the second tier too for some)

A mere hint of faction uniqueness, and it is promptly attacked with due vigor. :(

Factions *should* have unique assets by *design*, for that is part of the foundation of good faction philosophy. To make factions similar is not good faction design, it represents the opposite of good faction design, that of regretting you implemented them in the first place.

---

It has nothing to do with "uniqueness". If someone wants the best weapon (And who are we kidding? It's cheese easy to get), they have to get the purple one or the cyan one. If you see a L50 in a warzone using anything else, they're a new L50 that hasn't played a few hours to get one.

It's not that they're unique... it's the fact that EVERYONE HAS TO GET IT or they will suck compared to those who do. This makes it common and it removes any amount of customization from the game.

You CAN remove the Purple Crystal and put it into other things, but it is of course bound.

The T2 PVE sabers are slotted so you can move things around.

I havent had the nerve to try and RE my Cyan crystal yet. I am guessing it would be a bad idea.

books > movies in that....

actually your all wrong he has a violet crystal that was given to him i'll post a paragraph from wookieepedia.com explaining how he got it.

"By age fourteen, the Jedi Council was concerned with Windu, for even though he was at the top of his class, he still could not construct the lightsaber that came to him in visions multiple times. He informed the Council that he wanted a true challenge in order to find the best pieces for his lightsaber. After considering this, the Council sent Windu on his own to the world of Hurikane. While on this mission, Windu was at first chased away by the natives that resided there, but was easily able to resist them using the Force. When he caused one of the fragile natives to shatter, he sobered, and painstakingly restored it using the Force. Learning a valuable lesson about being a Jedi, the natives rewarded him with a violet-colored special crystal. He used this crystal to construct the lightsaber he had seen in his visions and it produced its distinctive violet blade. He would alternate between this weapon and a blue lightsaber he created himself. He also used Eeth Koth's lightsaber, which he obtained when the two Jedi Masters exchanged their sabers during the sacred Concordance of Fealty."

The following is a list of all known blade colors.

Amber

Aqua (Galen Marek's modified lightsaber)

Azure (Nikkos Tyris's lightsaber)

Black (White with black core)[7]

Blue (traditional Jedi lightsaber color)[8]

Blue, Dark (such as Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber, Kenobi's Legacy)

Blue, Icy (Permafrost crystal)

Blue, Jade

Bright Gold

Bronze (Bnar's Sacrifice)

Bronze w/ yellow core (Heart of the Guardian)

Brown

Carmine (Bane's Heart)

Clear (Barab ore)

Crimson (such as Adi Gallia's lightsaber in 32 BBY)

Cyan (such as the Jedi Exile's canon lightsaber)

Cyan w/ silvery glow (Mantle of the Force)

Electric Blue

Emerald (such as Jacen Solo's lightsaber before his ascension to Sith Lord)

Gold (such as Qu Rahn's lightsaber)

Gray

Green

Green, Dark

Green, Jade

Green, Light

Green, Sage (Rahm Kota's lightsaber)

Green w/ black core (Dahgee crystal)

Indigo

Lava (Lava crystal)

Magenta (such as Mara Jade Skywalker's lightsaber)

Orange (such as Kyle Katarn in 10 ABY or Freedon Nadd)

Pre Vizsla wielding his unique black-bladed Darksaber.

Pearl White (Krayt dragon pearl, Wisdom crystal)

Pewter(Raynar Thul's lightsaber)

Pink (Lambent)

Purple

Rainbow (Rainbow gem)

Red (Darth Andeddu's Crystal, generic Sith/Dark Jedi lightsaber)

Red, Blood (Qixoni crystal)

Red, Dark

Red, Light

Sapphire (Yarael Poof's lightsaber)

Scarlet (Depa Billaba's lightsaber)

Silver (Durindfire (crystal))

Silvery-blue

Silvery-green (Viridian crystal)

Teal (Sunrider's Destiny)

Transparent Blue (Pix's lightsaber)

Violet (such as Anakin Solo, Kyp Durron, and Jaina Solo's lightsabers)

Violet, Dark

Violet, Light

Viridian

White

Yellow (such as the new Impact Crystal, a Force Unleashed 2 Collectors Edition Exclusive, and Yun's lightsaber)

Yellow, Dark

Yellow, Light

Yellow-White (Nelani Dinn's lightsaber)

Yellowish-green (such as Ahsoka Tano's Shoto)

Yellowish-orange

Yellow w/ Black Core

according to wookiepedia those are all the known lightsaber colours..

however...

Lightsaber crystals of different hues could also be used in the same lightsaber to make a new blade color; for example, Galen Marek used Rahm Kota's green crystal along with his father's blue crystal to create an aqua blade.

personally all of those would be awesome to see in game.. though I am pretty sure it would be far to tiedous to code it all so I doubt it would happen.

Didn't a dev respond to a post about the magenta crystal and how to "kinda" get it?

I see post after post about people like myself wanting a purple crystal. I am kinda disappointed by the lack of response.

What really worries me is that a lot of people say that in beta, lots of items had purple crystals that could be removed, but when it went live, they removed them? This is obviously an design decision that I don't understand.

Oh, and I don't want to wait until I am 50, I wanted my crystal at level 10.

Poor show Bioware and everyday I am going to make a post for a response from you on this ;)

Didn't a dev respond to a post about the magenta crystal and how to "kinda" get it?

Magenta crystals are crafted. The recipe(s) to craft them are a fairly rare drop off a world boss on... Belvsavis? One of those planets. Many of the high-end guilds currently have this boss on farm.

Having said that, Magenta =/= Purple, and never will.

BZZZT. Sorry, that's wrong. Is the 'look' of the films preserved when half the Jedi knights who run by me are wielding red? Or half the Sith I encounter have green or blue?

The restrictions don't make any sense, although that is a broader topic, while this thread is concerned with purple alone.

And, what's more, lol @ this idiocy about purple being an 'EU color.' It was featured prominently in two out of six Star Wars films (the core canon, FYI). It's as much a part of the lore as blue, red and green now. You might not like that it has achieved that status, but your feelings on this matter are irrelevant. It was in the movies. It is canon.

I agree with you, I really do. About the whole issue, but you're stretching the line thin with the whole purple being canon thing. You really are. Just because it was in the films, eh...it's not really enough. It's already a well known fact that the ONLY reason Mace Windu was portrayed with a purple lightsaber in the films is because it was Samuel's favorite color and he specifically asked Lucas for a purple lightsaber so he could stand out amongst the other 100 Jedi at the battle of geonosis during episode 2. Lucas never intended Mace Windu to wield a purple saber. The original colors have always been Blue, and Red. In fact, there was never to have been a green except for the fact that blue did not look very good against Tunisia's sky during the filming for ROTJ.

I mean yeah, double edged sword but I think you get what I'm trying to say. Purple really kinda is EU. Just simply because Lucas never intended for their to be a purple. If Samuel L Jackson had never asked for that color, you bet his saber would of been blue or green.

I agree with you, I really do. About the whole issue, but you're stretching the line thin with the whole purple being canon thing. You really are. Just because it was in the films, eh...it's not really enough. It's already a well known fact that the ONLY reason Mace Windu was portrayed with a purple lightsaber in the films is because it was Samuel's favorite color and he specifically asked Lucas for a purple lightsaber so he could stand out amongst the other 100 Jedi at the battle of geonosis during episode 2. Lucas never intended Mace Windu to wield a purple saber. The original colors have always been Blue, and Red. In fact, there was never to have been a green except for the fact that blue did not look very good against Tunisia's sky during the filming for ROTJ.

I mean yeah, double edged sword but I think you get what I'm trying to say. Purple really kinda is EU. Just simply because Lucas never intended for their to be a purple. If Samuel L Jackson had never asked for that color, you bet his saber would of been blue or green.

"Just because it was in the films, eh...it's not really enough?" Um...you do realise that the films are the ultimate lore, right? Nothing can overrule them. If it's in the films, it's in the Star Wars universe. It's not a stretch, it's just fact. Whatever the reason for why something is in the movies is irrelevant; the only thing that's relevant is that it is in the movies.

Purple is not "kinda EU." It's quite solidly G-canon. Purple is a legitimate lightsabre colour. It's a colour only seen being wielded by a Jedi. There should be a purple crystal available for Republic players, and if people want to make the argument that some colours should be faction-specific, then Bioware dropped the ball badly on this, because they got the faction wrong.

"Just because it was in the films, eh...it's not really enough?" Um...you do realise that the films are the ultimate lore, right? Nothing can overrule them. If it's in the films, it's in the Star Wars universe. It's not a stretch, it's just fact. Whatever the reason for why something is in the movies is irrelevant; the only thing that's relevant is that it is in the movies.

Purple is not "kinda EU." It's quite solidly G-canon. Purple is a legitimate lightsabre colour. It's a colour only seen being wielded by a Jedi. There should be a purple crystal available for Republic players, and if people want to make the argument that some colours should be faction-specific, then Bioware dropped the ball badly on this, because they got the faction wrong.

Agreed.

It's already a well known fact that the ONLY reason Mace Windu was portrayed with a purple lightsaber in the films is because it was Samuel's favorite color and he specifically asked Lucas for a purple lightsaber so he could stand out amongst the other 100 Jedi at the battle of geonosis during episode 2. Lucas never intended Mace Windu to wield a purple saber. The original colors have always been Blue, and Red. In fact, there was never to have been a green except for the fact that blue did not look very good against Tunisia's sky during the filming for ROTJ.

But see, you're undoing your own point, because the real-life reasons for something be present in the canon do not matter. Lucas could have been driving to work three days before filming began on A New Hope, been stopped at a traffic light, and realized Vader's saber needed to be red. There's no need for deeper continuity justification than that -- in the case of both Luke's green saber and Windu's purple, real-life considerations dictated the lore. But lore it remains.

The RotJ example is actually a good one to go with, because, prior to The Phantom Menace, you could argue that Luke's green lightsaber was the only one in the galaxy, too. I mean, how would we know without seeing the prequels, when green became an established saber color? Until Qui-Gon Jinn ignited his saber for the first time 2 minutes into TPM, Luke's saber was only green one we'd ever seen. But nobody was walking around going LUKE'S LIGHTSABER WAS ONLY GREEN BECAUSE IT WAS HARD TO SEE BLUE SO IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY EXIST. Nobody.

The point in all this is, Lucas never intended for there to be a green, either, yet green sabers are as Star Wars as a saber comes. And, similarly, nobody should claim that Windu's saber is the only purple one in the galaxy, or that it doesn't matter, simply because real-life considerations dictated the color choice. Lucas, obviously, didn't feel so anal about colors that he denied Samuel L's request, so why should anyone here try to discount purple as a 'real' canon color for those very reasons?

Edited by AJediKnight

I want to know the answer to this as well. I really want purple crystals available. What's really baffling with all this crystal restrictions, is that it's not just Jedi using them.

Why can't a dark sider use a blaster with a blue bolt?

Or a light sider have a blaster with a red bolt? You know, like very blaster in the movies.

Crystal color should be fully customizable with no alignment restrictions. All of the primary 6 colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) should be craftable by artifice starting at level 10. Variants (turquise, light blue, black core, white, etc) are fine to be rare rewards. But the basic six colors? come on.

Why this wasn't done from the beginning makes no sense.

I want to know the answer to this as well. I really want purple crystals available. What's really baffling with all this crystal restrictions, is that it's not just Jedi using them.

Why can't a dark sider use a blaster with a blue bolt?

Or a light sider have a blaster with a red bolt? You know, like very blaster in the movies.

Crystal color should be fully customizable with no alignment restrictions. All of the primary 6 colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) should be craftable by artifice starting at level 10. Variants (turquise, light blue, black core, white, etc) are fine to be rare rewards. But the basic six colors? come on.

Why this wasn't done from the beginning makes no sense.

I don't know. As I said earlier, I believe much of the game is being programmed (and overseen -- because most of these choices have to be approved by someone) by people who not only don't know much of anything about Star Wars, they don't give a damn about it either.

I'd challenge a developer to come in here and justify these decisions, but I know they won't, largely because they cannot.

the way they have it now all sith will use purple, because you can't mod the champion saber and its color is purple.

Yes. This is a threefold problem:

1) If purple crystals really are rare, why the hell are they completely ubiquitous at the cap? How can something be rare when it is increasingly the rule/norm?

2) If the goal of the (stupid -- unbelievably stupid) morality restrictions on crystals is to attempt to 'preserve' the look of the films, why are all efforts towards this end (wholly misguided efforts, but efforts nonetheless) dispensed with at 50, when Sith are forced out of all colors -- including their traditional red -- in favor of purple?

3) Why is Bioware's much-trumpted system of item modification (which, we were told, was implemented in lieu of an appearance tab) utterly shelved at the level cap? Why do we get to largely look like we want to for 49 levels, but are informed in no uncertain terms that at 50, we must either gimp ourself utterly or accept status as a clone?

Again, stupid people might not be designing this game, but they are making stupid decisions. And, ultimately, I see little difference between a stupid person making stupid decisions and a smart person doing it. At the end of the day, that train pulls into the same station.

Edited by AJediKnight

Purple is not a Sith-only color. Hell, Samuel L. used one throughout the films as a Jedi master. If the color had some kind of 'evil-only' affiliation, do you think a diehard Jedi loyalist like Windu would have used one?

Some people feel strongly about crystal colors; others don't. But count me amongst the ranks of those who do. Purple has been, for the past decade or so, 'my' Jedi's color, in RP, costuming, and yes, even KotOR. When there are Jedi everywhere running around with red sabers (which aren't canon-breaking either, but you can make a stonger case for red being 'wrong' for the Jedi than you can purple), why am I denied purple? And no, magenta and light blue are not satisfactory replacements -- they shouldn't even be considered 'replacements' because no color should be locked onto one faction only.

Oh, and while we're at it, why are curved-hilted (Form II Makashi) sabers Sith-only, too? Could it be that Bioware's programmers really thought that this type of saber was unique to the Sith based on Count Dooku? You guys do know he used a curved-hilted saber as a Jedi, too, right? Like purple crystals, it's not like a curved hilt is somehow unique to the Sith.

I am tired of exclusivity dominating what I can and cannot do as a character. No color -- in this case, Purple and Light Blue -- should be a the 'catch all' endgame color for one faction or another. No style of lightsaber design -- particularly one that is hardly more affiliated with the Sith than it is the Jedi -- should be restricted to one faction. Please go down to the art department and knock some heads. If these people don't understand Star Wars, educate them. Or fire them. I don't really care anymore.

I always thought RED would be exclusive to the Sith since the Sith make Synthetic Crystals and Blue and Green would be exclusive to the Jedi.

Purple, Yelllo, Orange should of been neutral colors.....

Yes. This is a threefold problem:

1) If purple crystals really are rare, why the hell are they completely ubiquitous at the cap? How can something be rare when it is increasingly the rule/norm?

2) If the goal of the (stupid -- unbelievably stupid) morality restrictions on crystals is to attempt to 'preserve' the look of the films, why are all efforts towards this end (wholly misguided efforts, but efforts nonetheless) dispensed with at 50, when Sith are forced out of all colors -- including their traditional red -- in favor of purple?

3) Why is Bioware's much-trumpted system of item modification (which, we were told, was implemented in lieu of an appearance tab) utterly shelved at the level cap? Why do we get to largely look like we want to for 49 levels, but are informed in no uncertain terms that at 50, we must either gimp ourself utterly or accept status as a clone?

Again, stupid people might not be designing this game, but they are making stupid decisions. And, ultimately, I see little difference between a stupid person making stupid decisions and a smart person doing it. At the end of the day, that train pulls into the same station.

Don't worry they already said you would be able to remove all the mods from purple gear in a future patch.